Back in 2008, Alibaba (NYSE:BABA) co-founder Jack Ma mocked China's video game market and declared hiscompany "would rather starve to death than live on games." Ma reiterated that stance two years later, declaring Alibaba wouldn't invest a single "penny" in video games.
But in 2014, Alibaba changed its tune and launched its first mobile games platform. It expanded the business by buying UC Mobile (previously UCWeb) and its gaming platform 9Game, and acquiring stake in American game developer Kabam, that same year. In 2017, it bought the gaming company Ejoy and used the subsidiary to launch a new gaming division led by former NetEase (NASDAQ:NTES) former chief operating officer Zhan Zhonghui.
Image source: Getty Images.
Alibaba's video game unit was subsequently bundled with its other experimental businesses in its tiny "innovation initiatives" segment. But last quarter, Alibaba moved the online gaming unit into its larger "digital media and entertainment" segment, declaring it had grown too large to be incubated with its other smaller businesses. Let's take a closer look at this oft-overlooked segment and see why Alibaba is expanding its online gaming business.
In 2014, Alibaba's fledgling gaming business launched mini games inside itsTaobao Mobile shopping app and Laiwang chat app. However, Alibaba's initial push flopped due to intense competition from Tencent's (OTC:TCEH.Y) larger chat platform, WeChat, and its massive portfolio of mobile games.
In 2017, Alibaba's Ejoy subsidiary invested 1 billion yuan ($145 million) in the development of a global distribution network for mobile games. The following year, it bought the exclusive distribution rights for the hit Japanese mobile game Travel Frog and integrated it into its Taobao app. The move brought gamers to Taobao's e-commerce platform, and Alibaba capitalized on the game's popularity by selling tie-in products.
Image source: Getty Images.
Alibaba also continued to launch other mini games, including Go and various puzzle games, for Taobao. In 2019, it launched a social game called Taobao Life, in which users customized their own avatars and bought virtual clothes and accessories with points. Players earned those points by shopping onTaobao and Tmall or completing daily challenges.
Ejoy also launched two well-received standalone Romance of the Three Kingdoms games. Those games gave Alibaba a firm foothold in the mainstream gaming market, but its gaming strategy still mainly centers on strengthening Taobao's mobile app, which also lets merchants sell products via live videos, with integrated games.
Alibaba doesn't regularly disclose Taobao's number of mobile users, but mobile monthly active users across all its Chinese marketplaces grew 3% sequentially to 874 million last quarter. During the conference call, CEO Daniel Zhang mainly attributed that growth to Taobao's "strong consumer mind share, healthy user stickiness, and engaging user experiences." CFO Maggie Wu also briefly noted its online gaming business was "growing well" without elaborating on the strength of its individual titles.
Alibaba's digital media and entertainment revenue rose9% annually to 6.99 billion yuan ($990 million) last quarter, and it attributed most of that growth to the shift of its gaming division to the digital media unit.
However, the entire digital media unit -- which also includes its streaming media platforms, its movie production studio, and its mobile apps -- accounted for only 4% of Alibaba's top line. Alibaba didn't disclose how much revenue Taobao's games bring in, but the shift reduced its innovation initiatives revenue by 1.19 billion yuan ($168 million) sequentially -- so we can estimate Alibaba generates $150 million to $200 million in gaming revenue each quarter.
By comparison, Tencent andNetEase generated 38.3 billion yuan ($4.9 billion) and18.2 billion yuan ($2.6 billion) in online gaming revenues in their latest quarters. Therefore, it's doubtful Alibaba's gaming unit will be mentioned in the same breath as those gaming giantsanytime soon.
Instead, Alibaba's games will expand Taobao's ecosystem and widen its moat against Tencent's WeChat -- which locks users in with mini-programs for games, online shopping, deliveries, payments, and other services. It can also shore up its defenses against its top e-commerce rivals, JD.comand Pinduoduo.
Alibaba will still generate most of its revenue from its core commerce and cloud computing businesses for the foreseeable future. However, investors shouldn't neglect the smaller businesses in its digital media and innovation initiatives segments -- since they could gradually expand its e-commerce ecosystem and lock in more shoppers.
Go here to see the original:
Why Is Alibaba Expanding Its Online Gaming Business? - The Motley Fool
- Looking Back to 2010 and the Sexy Witch Times of Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition - TheXboxHub - October 25th, 2020
- Ooh Impressive! - The New York Times - October 25th, 2020
- The 10 Best Indiana Jones Games Of All Time, Ranked | Game Rant - GameRant - October 25th, 2020
- TY the Tasmanian Tiger HD Review - TheXboxHub - October 25th, 2020
- 5 Best Horror-Themed Games That Will Make You Scream For Joy (& 5 That Won't), According To Metacritic - GameRant - October 25th, 2020
- Supraland Review GameSpew - GameSpew - October 23rd, 2020
- RetroBeat: 5 other games Nintendo needs to finally bring to the U.S. - VentureBeat - October 23rd, 2020
- Gen Z mobile users more likely to play games, but spend less time in top titles - Pocket Gamer.Biz - October 23rd, 2020
- Embrace the parkour madness of BH Trials on Xbox One - TheXboxHub - October 23rd, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Fire Emblem' Headed West, 'Pokemon Sword/Shield: The Crown Tundra' and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - October 23rd, 2020
- Train your fingers and become Lord of the Click on Xbox One - TheXboxHub - October 23rd, 2020
- Dodging Death In Disc Room Is A Lot Of Fun - Kotaku - October 23rd, 2020
- PUYO PUYO TETRIS 2 To Introduce RPG Elements With The Brand-New "Skill Battle" Mode - GameFragger.com - October 23rd, 2020
- The best games on Xbox Game Pass for console and PC right now (October 2020) - For The Win - October 22nd, 2020
- RPG? Puzzle? Parlor Game? Escape Room? This Game Is All Four and More - Publishers Weekly - October 22nd, 2020
- Puzzle Break Long Island is Back, With More Fun and Safety than Ever Before! - LongIsland.com - October 22nd, 2020
- Forget Games with Gold, this Xbox Game Pass addition is the big news for October - Express - October 22nd, 2020
- Ban for annoying puzzle ads which don't represent the actual game - Wales Online - October 22nd, 2020
- Why people are still obsessed with candy crush saga - Livemint - October 22nd, 2020
- The 25 Best Horror Games To Play On Halloween 2020 - GameSpot - October 22nd, 2020
- Blaseball developer is bringing a 'slice of life' puzzle game to PC next year - PC Gamer - October 20th, 2020
- Best upcoming Xbox Series X games you'll need to play - CNET - October 20th, 2020
- McAdam: Salary arbitration a bigger puzzle this offseason - bostonsportsjournal.com - October 20th, 2020
- TAFFY: FEED THE KITTY, App Game Based on the Cartoon TAFFY, is Now Available - Broadway World - October 20th, 2020
- Forget Games with Gold, this Xbox Game Pass addition is the big news for October - True Hollywood Talk - October 20th, 2020
- 5 games that sparked the 'casual' player movement - The Star - October 20th, 2020
- Genshin Impact Amber Puzzle: Win cool Prizes, use this simple guide to click Amber photos! Only a week... - The Sportsrush - October 20th, 2020
- 10 Most Innovative Indie Platformers | Game Rant - GameRant - October 20th, 2020
- What the critics are saying about Amnesia: Rebirth - SVG - October 20th, 2020
- Chiefs kept on the ground, but run past Bills anyway - Arkansas Online - October 20th, 2020
- 10 Games That Are Educational And Fun | TheGamer - TheGamer - October 18th, 2020
- Sony Refuses To Discount PS4 Version Of Return Of the Obra Dinn - Screen Rant - October 18th, 2020
- Apex Legends, Jiu Jitsu, Monster Hunter & Other Trailers Released This Week - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 18th, 2020
- Ban for annoying puzzle ads which don't represent the actual game - Bristol Live - October 18th, 2020
- Cube Escape dodges the end of the Flash era with a new collection on Steam - PC Gamer - October 18th, 2020
- TouchArcade Game of the Week: 'Poor Thief' TouchArcade - Touch Arcade - October 17th, 2020
- Boundary-breaking in video games is unholy and wrong - The A.V. Club - October 17th, 2020
- 5 great horror games for 2020: Where to get that Halloween horror fix - Sportskeeda - October 17th, 2020
- Ban for annoying puzzle ads which don't represent the actual game - MyLondon - October 17th, 2020
- PS4 New Releases - New PS4 Games Releasing This Week (October 19 - October 25) - PlayStation Universe - October 17th, 2020
- Review: Whats Inside the Box? A Rewarding (Rewording) Time - The New York Times - October 15th, 2020
- Best Android and iOS games of the week [15/10/2020] re:Jerusalem - re:Jerusalem - October 15th, 2020
- 8 Tips for Improving Reaction Time in Video Games - VGR.com - October 15th, 2020
- I Am Rubber, You Are Glue! Celebrating 30 Years Of Monkey Island - TheGamer - October 15th, 2020
- Playrix's ads banned in UK as misleading - Game World Observer - October 15th, 2020
- The Kansas City Chiefs May Have Just Identified the Missing Piece to Their Super Bowl Puzzle - Sportscasting - October 15th, 2020
- Before the 'Amnesia': Looking Back on Frictional Games' 'Penumbra' Series - Bloody Disgusting - October 15th, 2020
- Raji: An Ancient Epic arrives on Steam today, a tale about Indian mythology - PC Invasion - October 15th, 2020
- Have You Heard Of The Internets Hardest Puzzle And Biggest Mystery? Check Out Cicada 3301 - Scary Mommy - October 13th, 2020
- Galacide Takes the Speed and Intensity of a SHMUP and Adds in a Dash of Match Puzzling for a Thrilling Alien Adventure Coming to Consoles October 23... - October 13th, 2020
- Stay off the web with these games - The New Indian Express - October 13th, 2020
- Renegade and EC Comics Team Up to Bring Classic Comic Covers to the World of Puzzles - GeekTyrant - October 13th, 2020
- Treat Yourself This Spooky Season with These 5 Indie Games - Nerdist - October 13th, 2020
- Hakim Ziyech is the final piece of the Chelsea jigsaw puzzle - The Pride of London - October 13th, 2020
- 10 Best 2D Games On Steam (According To Metacritic) - TheGamer - October 13th, 2020
- The Most Fun Virtual Murder Mystery Parties You Can Host This Halloween - Oprah Mag - October 13th, 2020
- Reflection of Mine IS A Difficult Puzzle Game Headed For Xbox One, PS5, And Nintendo Switch - Happy Gamer - October 10th, 2020
- Every Pokemon Game On The 3DS, Ranked (According To Metacritic) - GameRant - October 10th, 2020
- Explore Ancient Greece in This Weeks Good-Ass Games at Good-Ass Prices - The Root - October 10th, 2020
- Sony Reveals 10 PS4 Games That Won't Work on PS5 | Game Rant - GameRant - October 10th, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Filament', 'I Am Dead', 'Game Dev Tycoon', and Today's Other New Releases, Plus the Latest Sales - Touch Arcade - October 8th, 2020
- 10 Super Mario Spin-Offs That Are Nothing Like The Main Games - TheGamer - October 8th, 2020
- From Game Boy to 3DS: The legacy of Nintendo's handhelds - GamesIndustry.biz - October 8th, 2020
- 10 PC Games to Check Out This October - Power Up Gaming - October 8th, 2020
- The Epic Games Store free games of the week are Abzu & Rising Storm 2 - PC Invasion - October 8th, 2020
- Pokemon: A Step-By-Step Guide To Soft Resetting | TheGamer - TheGamer - October 8th, 2020
- Ghost of a Tale, Neighbours Back From Hell, The Survivalists, FIFA 21, and Ikenfell hit the Switch - Games Asylum - October 8th, 2020
- 10 Great Multitasking Games Similar To Overcooked | Game Rant - GameRant - October 8th, 2020
- 'Rain City' is the perfect puzzle game to spend a few hours on | Clocked - Happy Mag - October 7th, 2020
- Lesson of the Day: 35 Thoughts About Mario on Super Marios 35th Anniversary - The New York Times - October 7th, 2020
- Best-selling book Prisoners of Geography eyes board games, strategy games, quizzes and puzzles in edutainment licensing move - Toy News - October 7th, 2020
- 2D Games vs. 3D Games: What Are the Differences? | MakeUseOf - MakeUseOf - October 7th, 2020
- 'QB Planets' Takes Players to a World of Beautiful Cube Puzzles - Indie Games Plus - October 7th, 2020
- Swords of Gargantua Creators Thirdverse Secures $8.5M Funding for More VR Games - Road to VR - October 7th, 2020
- Steam's Autumn Game Festival Is On Now With Tons Of Free Demos - TheGamer - October 7th, 2020
- Southgate's England puzzle: lots of new pieces but no clear pattern - The Guardian - October 7th, 2020
- After Almost A Year Of Epic Exclusivity, Mind-Bending Puzzler Superliminal Is Coming To Steam - TheGamer - October 6th, 2020
- Vegas Golden Knights: Pietrangelo is the final piece to the Stanley Cup puzzle - Vegas Hockey Knight - October 6th, 2020
- Create Your Own Games With This Discounted Training Bundle - PCMag.com - October 6th, 2020
- Surrealist Puzzle-Platformer 'DARQ' Headed to Current And Next-Gen Consoles - Bloody Disgusting - October 6th, 2020