ZEELAND, Mich. For most of the pandemic, it was common knowledge that people spent time stuck at home with any pastime they could get. Puzzles and games were the answer, and that meant Out of the Box was in a business sweet spot.
Out of the Box specializes in board games, puzzles, and toys, both classics and items you wont find in other stores. In fact, uniqueness is a prime characteristic owner Jeff Rietveld looks for in buying stock.
Given all that, Rietveld and his staff struggled to keep up during the height of the pandemic. Jigsaw puzzles are probably our bestselling item in 2020, an explosion of popularity once the lockdown happened, Rietveld remembers. We sold right out within a couple of weeks. And we are getting shipments in a couple times a week. We would throw them up on our website. We did local delivery, we did curbside pickup, and we will get in 24 of one puzzle and sell out within hours.
As great as that sounds, Rietveld says they worked harder to sell less during the pandemic. We stayed busy, because having to do curbside pickup and having to do local delivery. It just kept us going.
Our sales dropped dramatically, but we were able to keep busy and keep our people working. We had to work very hard for much less sales. But I would say we did well, considering what many other businesses did. We're very happy with where things ended up, even if it wasn't what we would ever call a good year.
Out of the Box 2021 sales are making up for losses in 2020, Rietveld says, and some customer behavior is spilling over from the pandemic.
We definitely have a lot of people looking for advice. What kind of game can I get for my family? What can I have that my kids can do that's not Netflix or video games? And people do seem to be continuing that, really looking to continue the family time that they had that they had together this last year.
We're Open: Out of the Box for games, puzzles, science kits
The stores escape rooms are also beginning to see a revival in bookings.
Describing the selection at Out of the Book requires a lengthy list: hundreds of different games from classic games to games created in Kickstarter projects to imported games, hundreds of jigsaw puzzles, toys, even science kits. The stores hold game nights. And there are dress-up items: princesses, dragons, and pirates.
You wont find collectible games; Rietveld says there are plenty of other stores for that.
But you will find used games on consignment from customers who got tired of them or have duplicates. The staff makes sure each used game is complete.
Rietveld will be opening a new store in Holland soon, an indication of the local support the stores enjoy.
People are wanting to spend money locally. So, 2021 is helping erase the losses from 2020, Rietveld says. It'll be a long time before we're in the black. But again, we feel blessed that it's gone better for us than it has for many other businesses.
Out of the Box, 114 E Main Ave, Zeeland (616-772-5544), and 5212 S Division Ave, Kentwood (616-259-9224)
We're Open: Tell us your storySee a list of places that are Open In West Michigan
Follow FOX 17: Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - YouTube
See the article here:
We're Open: Out of the Box includes unique games, puzzles, and toys - Fox17
- Two Hundred Ways Is Coming To Steam On September 3rd - Bleeding Cool News - August 30th, 2021
- I Expect You To Die 2 review: the most fun Ive had solving puzzles this year - The Verge - August 30th, 2021
- 10 PS1 Games that Need to Be Remastered for Modern Consoles - Paste Magazine - August 30th, 2021
- Arcade Games Machine Market Latest Trend and Business Attractiveness 2021 to 2027 UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel Yell - August 30th, 2021
- Cloud save storage is causing issues with some Oculus Quest 2 games - Android Central - August 30th, 2021
- Gaming Time? Top 3 VR Games Available on Linux - Linux Journal - August 30th, 2021
- The Dallas Cowboys offensive line depth puzzle - Blogging The Boys - August 17th, 2021
- Neon White, A Game About Killing Demons, Could Be The Next Hades - Kotaku - August 17th, 2021
- NYT Crossword: Wife of Theseus - The New York Times - August 17th, 2021
- Game of the Week: 'Dungeon and Puzzles' TouchArcade - Touch Arcade - August 17th, 2021
- Five new Steam games you probably missed (August 16, 2021) - PC Gamer - August 17th, 2021
- PS5 & PS4 New Releases - New PS5 & PS4 Games Releasing This Week (August 16-22) - PlayStation Universe - August 17th, 2021
- The Best Video Games Of 2021 So Far - Kotaku - August 17th, 2021
- Casse-tte: A French expression you may hear today Holidaymakers in Europe find low stocks and - The Connexion - August 17th, 2021
- Best Android app deals of the day: Donut County, Florence, Mobile Doc Scanner, more - 9to5Toys - August 17th, 2021
- Humankind review: a heavyweight alternative to Civilization - Rock Paper Shotgun - August 17th, 2021
- Internet-obsessed Merge Mansion closes in on $40 million revenue - Pocket Gamer.Biz - August 17th, 2021
- The missing piece of the puzzle Manchester United can use to fire title charge - Manchester Evening News - August 17th, 2021
- Alfonzo's Arctic Adventure Review - TheXboxHub - August 17th, 2021
- Try five new Xbox, PlayStation, Switch and PC games this weekend - Gaming News - BollyInside - August 17th, 2021
- Ten of the best quick/easy completions - TrueAchievements - August 17th, 2021
- Puzzle Games - Play Puzzle Games at RoundGames - August 4th, 2021
- What Does Inclusive Digital Innovation Look Like? - Forbes - August 4th, 2021
- The Shorter Games With Worse Graphics Bundle Is No Joke - Kotaku - August 4th, 2021
- Crossword Fans Are Mad At The New York Times - Kotaku - August 4th, 2021
- These are the best Pokmon games for iPhone and iPad - 9to5Mac - August 4th, 2021
- Toodee and Topdee Review - TechRaptor - August 4th, 2021
- Why Annapurna Interactive is the most exciting publisher in video games - NME - August 4th, 2021
- These Games Are Coming To Xbox This Week (August 3-6) - Pure Xbox - August 4th, 2021
- These games are coming to Xbox next week - Devdiscourse - August 4th, 2021
- TFI Friday: three new indie games that have nothing in common - Rock Paper Shotgun - August 4th, 2021
- PS5 & PS4 New Releases - New PS5 & PS4 Games Releasing This Week (August 2-8) - PlayStation Universe - August 4th, 2021
- The Worst Rated Games Of 2021 So Far - Looper - August 4th, 2021
- Aloof, the cutest puzzle-fighter ever, arrives on Switch later this year thanks to RedDeer.games - Gamasutra - July 21st, 2021
- Nintendo News: Shape Your Next Adventure With Three Additional Super NES Games Arriving to Nintendo Switch Online - Business Wire - July 21st, 2021
- 7 Billion Humans finally arrives on Android | Articles - Pocket Gamer - July 21st, 2021
- Do 2.7 billion gamers around the world hold the key to solving climate change? - Illinoisnewstoday.com - July 21st, 2021
- Skyward Sword HD Proves That Future Zelda Games Need Traditional Dungeons - Den of Geek - July 21st, 2021
- Five Games to Play While You Wait for Breath of the Wild 2 - The New York Times - July 21st, 2021
- ITALY. Land of Wonders lets you discover the cultural heritage of the country via puzzles, out now on iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - July 21st, 2021
- miHoYo's Tears of Themis is Releasing July 29th for Mobile and Android - Goomba Stomp - July 21st, 2021
- Heres The Lowdown On That Kick-Ass 2.5D Cyberpunk Game - Kotaku - July 21st, 2021
- Arcsmith is a Quirky VR Puzzle Game from Thomas Was Alone Studio, Coming to Quest in July - Road to VR - July 7th, 2021
- Cat Detective Mimo and the Case of the Increasingly Meta Bank Heist - Alternate Reality Gaming Network - July 7th, 2021
- Solve Puzzles and Escape a Horrifying Mansion in The Tartarus Key - The Nerd Stash - July 7th, 2021
- Imagine that quest in Oblivion where you get stuck in a painting, but it's a whole puzzle game now - Rock Paper Shotgun - July 7th, 2021
- Xbox Cloud Gaming Is The Future, But Its Not There Yet - Kotaku - July 7th, 2021
- 30 Steam Games All Less Than $25 To Amuse Yourself With - PC Perspective - July 7th, 2021
- 'The Spectrum Retreat' Free On Epic Games Store, 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead' and 'Ironcast' Next Week - WorthPlaying.com - July 7th, 2021
- PlayStation Now Games Release Tomorrow And They Look Great - Pure PlayStation - July 7th, 2021
- A Tale Of Synapse: The Chaos Theories Review Pretty But Uneven Puzzles - News Nation USA - July 7th, 2021
- Seriously Addictive Mobile Games That Will Help You Kill Time - YouBeauty - June 24th, 2021
- Myst VR remake confirmed for release in Q3 2021 - NME - June 24th, 2021
- I Turned to Jigsaw Puzzles When My World Fell Apart - The New York Times - June 24th, 2021
- The Brilliant Puzzler 'Baba Is You' from Hempuli Just Released on iOS and Android with over 200 Levels Included - Touch Arcade - June 24th, 2021
- The Best N64 Games of All Time - Your Money Geek - June 24th, 2021
- The best video games of 2021 so far - The Guardian - June 24th, 2021
- Every Major Upcoming Aussie Indie Game You Should Keep An Eye On - Kotaku Australia - June 24th, 2021
- 35 Indie Games That Really Want Your Attention - Kotaku - June 24th, 2021
- Ticket to Ride: Track Switcher Is a Logic Puzzle Game for Kids and Adults - SuperParent - June 8th, 2021
- PlayStation Talent reveals 21 new indie titles ahead of E3 - NME.com - June 8th, 2021
- Tetris Effect Celebrates the Puzzler's Anniversary and Origin with Awesome Secret Stage - Push Square - June 8th, 2021
- Review: Bunny Factory - Movies Games and Tech - June 8th, 2021
- Universal Studios Japan has reopened to the public - Nintendo Wire - June 8th, 2021
- Eight awesome indie PC games you shouldnt miss this June - PCGamesN - June 8th, 2021
- Guerrilla Collective 2021 Day 1: All the Games Announced and Unveiled - TechnoSports - June 8th, 2021
- Unsigned: Finding the things we've lost in ourselves in Love A Puzzle Box filled with Stories | Business News - MCV/Develop - June 8th, 2021
- Fire Tonight brings heartfelt narrative puzzling to Switch, PC in August - Nintendo Enthusiast - June 8th, 2021
- Trenga Unlimited Is Rather Limited XSX Review But Why Tho? - But Why Tho? A Geek Community - May 27th, 2021
- 14 of the best hidden gems on Xbox Game Pass - The Guardian - May 27th, 2021
- Mondoku is a colorful number puzzle game that will be released on Android and iOS in the near future. - Gaming News - BollyInside - May 27th, 2021
- All You Need to Know Before Developing an Android Game App - TechBullion - May 27th, 2021
- New games coming to Xbox Game Pass this May include Knockout City and Maneater - PinkNews - May 27th, 2021
- Digital music festival Save & Sound kicks off this weekend with sales on Steam - Gamasutra - May 27th, 2021
- How to play Android games on your PC with BlueStacks - Android Central - May 27th, 2021
- Want To Make Your Kids Gaming Session Productive? Play These Educational Games - IWMBuzz - May 27th, 2021
- Word games for kids: Enhance your kid's creativity and learning - Times of India - May 27th, 2021
- Relive Your Childhood with the Best SNES Games - Your Money Geek - May 27th, 2021
- Portal Movie Revealed to be In Active Development - EsportsTalk - May 27th, 2021