Most people know well the tedium and joy of moving into some small space and making it their own. Meticulously putting things away might not immediately seem like award-winning video game material but Tim Dawson is hoping it will prove popular.
The whole thing is already sort of game-like, says Dawson, one of the co-founders of Witch Beam, the Australian developers behind new indie game Unpacking. Youve got the delight and surprise of pulling stuff out of boxes and not knowing what will come next and youve got this clear end goal where everything is finally organised.
Now available for PC, Switch and Xbox One, Unpacking won game of the year at this years Australian Game Developers Awards the same title won in 2019 by the riotously successful Untitled Goose Game.
In line with recent trends towards wholesome gaming, Unpacking is a self-described zen puzzler a kind of Marie Kondo-esque balm for the chaotic world we live in.
The games narrative is laid-back: a quiet and charming tale of a life over time, told mostly through the items brought between moves as the unseen main character grows up. Soft toys, books, a battered and chipped mug; familiar items reappear out of cardboard boxes as the years progress and the locations change from a childhood room, to a small uni flat, to a crowded suburban sharehouse and beyond.
Dawson and his fellow Witch Beam co-founders, Sanatana Nat Mishra and composer Jeff van Dyck, split from established studios to go indie, with their first project the hyperkinetic (and critically well-received) arcade shooter Android Assault Cactus in 2015. While looking for a new project to work on, Dawson moved in with his partner, Wren Brier an artist who had previously worked on games like Jetpack Joyride and Fruit Ninja and an idea clicked.
I helped him with packing up his stuff, and we realised: every item is like a little adventure, says Brier, who is the creative lead on the game. This one came from Tokyo Disney; this ones from when you went skiing and unpacking it all, its both discovery and self-expression at the same time.
You can tell a lot about a person from the items they own, adds Dawson. That was really exciting to me from a narrative storytelling point of view, to tell a story without cutscenes or lectures.
The game is, at heart, pretty simple: you click on items and place them wherever you want in a room, until youre completely unpacked. But since its a puzzle game, theres limits to where you can acceptably leave things with wrong choices marked with an angry, pulsating outline. Kitchen knives, for instance, cant simply be packed away on the floor, or books left strewn across a bed.
You should be able to put things where you want, within reason, says Dawson, but every now and then, were a bit more specific about something, like a secret diary, or a meaningful photograph and those points usually serve as the sort of emotional beats of the game.
Set to the extremely chilled-out backdrop of guitars and synths, a very personal form of order gradually emerges from the chaotic piles of boxes and knick-knacks. Much of the games charm lies in its capacity for self-expression, something the team discovered in prototyping.
I remember one friend, she took out this juicer, and she was like I never use these, and she shoved it as far back as she could behind a bunch of other items, laughs Brier. It turns out that people love to watch other people play Unpacking because its something that everyone knows how to do.
So its really easy to backseat drive, and you learn a lot about someone when you watch them unpack.
It also led to the discovery of some unexpected cultural differences. Quite a few Asian-American players asked us if they could store stuff in the oven, says Brier. And I think it was a Latvian player, she didnt know what the dish rack was. They have a kind of built-in dish rack cupboard above the sink, so they dont need a separate rack.
Building the game, they were conscious of representation across cultures (We had a strong reaction to the dreidel, Brier says), genders (the tampons and stuff dudes are kind of bewildered, but women are like, Ive never seen that in a game before!), and even geography.
The game is set in Brisbane which most people wont pick up on. The first level, the kids room, its set in a Queenslander, Dawson says. Some people will recognise the boards on the walls, they might recognise the gum trees outside Theres something cool about a well-realised world.
Witch Beam joins a wave of small Australian teams punching above their weight on the international stage, alongside breakout studios like Team Cherry (Hollow Knight) and House House (Untitled Goose Game), as well as more modest entrants including Beethovan and Dinosaur (The Artful Escape) and Modern Storytellers (The Forgotten City).
And with Unpacking theyre hoping for an international market, for a game that deals with a universally meditative experience.
I thought we were making a niche game that would just appeal to people who liked organising stuff, Dawson says, but it actually seems to have a broader appeal.
- Wordle creator overwhelmed by global success of hit puzzle - The Guardian - January 15th, 2022
- 11 NEW Puzzle Games of 2022 - Gameranx - January 15th, 2022
- 'Relicta' is the next free game on the Epic Games Store - NME - January 15th, 2022
- Become a plant detective in this occult botany shop puzzle game next week - PC Gamer - January 15th, 2022
- Shovel Knight: Pocket Dungeon review - once it clicks it really clicks - Eurogamer.net - January 15th, 2022
- A Storm is Brewing as the SeaRing Team Sets Up the Release of the Demo to their Debut Title SeaRing on Steam Today! - Tech Times - January 15th, 2022
- Daniel King's Power Play Show: Beautiful games in the Kalashnikov - Chessbase News - January 15th, 2022
- Valve and Geico team up for a Portal-themed insurance ad - PC Gamer - January 15th, 2022
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Deathsmiles I-II', 'Pawn of the Dead', Plus Today's Other New Releases and Sales TouchArcade - Touch Arcade - December 31st, 2021
- The Epic Games Store is giving away Moving Out - For The Win - December 31st, 2021
- What is Wordle? The viral word game - Polygon - December 31st, 2021
- Murder mystery games a hit in China but Japan missing the fun - Japan Today - December 31st, 2021
- The best rhythm games on PC - Digital Trends - December 31st, 2021
- How to Make Money Playing Games - Small Business Trends - December 31st, 2021
- Review: Cosmic Express - Movies Games and Tech - December 31st, 2021
- Northern Ireland TV and film industry booming despite pandemic challenges - BreakingNews.ie - December 31st, 2021
- NYT Crossword Answers: M.L.B.'s first Rookie of the Year (1947) - The New York Times - December 21st, 2021
- Puzzle and Game Industry Works to Meet Holiday Shopping Crush - NBC10 Boston - December 21st, 2021
- Jigsaw Puzzles - Puzzle Games on the App Store - December 21st, 2021
- Ever Forward Review Diamond in the Rough (PS5) - PlayStation LifeStyle - December 21st, 2021
- Indie games on the horizon Borneo Bulletin Online - Borneo Bulletin Online - December 21st, 2021
- Murder he shuffled: How the world's most difficult puzzle went viral - The Irish Times - December 21st, 2021
- Marshfield boys hoop morphing into a different kind of a team than last year - Wicked Local - December 21st, 2021
- The Cleaning Up Of Trash, Explained By Its Creative Director - Kotaku Australia - December 21st, 2021
- 10 newb-friendly games to gift to the non-gamers in your life - Destructoid - December 8th, 2021
- Puzzle Games for Kids Online | Play Free Fun Kids Puzzles - December 8th, 2021
- Ever Forward brings Portal-like puzzling to Xbox, PlayStation and Switch - TheXboxHub - December 8th, 2021
- What if Breath of the Wild had an air dash - Polygon - December 8th, 2021
- The biggest new video games coming out the week of 12/6/21 AIPT - AIPT - December 8th, 2021
- How a 1993 puzzle adventure became Apple's 2021 Game of the Year - Cult of Mac - December 8th, 2021
- When We Made... Bonfire Peaks: "In my opinion, storytelling is not really a strength of the medium of games, or what excites me most about... - December 8th, 2021
- New PS5 & PS4 Game Releases - New PS5 & PS4 Games Releasing This Week (December 6-12) - PlayStation Universe - December 8th, 2021
- KITERETSU Has Launched the First VR Game in ZOOKEEPER Series, "ZOOKEEPER: Blast Quest" and Is Now Available on Meta Quest Store - Business... - December 8th, 2021
- Free Games On Epic Games Store - Current, Upcoming, And Past - TalkEsport - TE - December 8th, 2021
- Ty's Time: Ty Jerome's Bench Ascension and the Puzzle Pieces yet to be Placed - Sports Illustrated - December 8th, 2021
- Terrifying Co-Op Puzzler Forces Duos To See A Different Version Of The Game - Kotaku - November 20th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl', 'Nerf Legends', and Today's Other Releases and Sales TouchArcade - Touch... - November 20th, 2021
- Top toys of 2021: Games, puzzles and activity kits are the standouts - theday.com - November 20th, 2021
- Puzzle Games - 40 Best Puzzle Games To Play In 2021 - November 7th, 2021
- A Battle Royale Mode Is Coming to the Puzzle Game Superliminal - COGconnected - November 7th, 2021
- Say goodbye to your mortal shell with this gorgeous, ghostly puzzle game - PC Gamer - November 7th, 2021
- Top toys of 2021: Games, puzzles and activity kits are the standouts - The Union Leader - November 7th, 2021
- Unpacking Might Have The Worst Video Game Boyfriend Of The Year - Kotaku - November 7th, 2021
- Itching to code? These are the best games to learn programming skills - TechRadar - November 7th, 2021
- New Games You Should Play This November: Get Lost in a Puzzle Box, Jump Your Way Out of a Cult, and Craft Your New Life on an Island - TheStranger.com - November 7th, 2021
- Steam Deck could be the PS Vita 2 Sony will never give us - Tom's Guide - November 7th, 2021
- The Top 10 Mobile Games List of October 2021 - mxdwn.com - November 7th, 2021
- 'Unpacking' Is a Lovely Game About the Power of Seemingly Mundane Objects - VICE - November 7th, 2021
- New VR Games November 2021: All The Biggest Releases - UploadVR - November 7th, 2021
- New on Switch: Unpacking, World War Z, Just Dance 2022, A Boy and His Blob, Demon Turf, The Smurfs, Popeye, more - Games Asylum - November 7th, 2021
- Buzzy Puzzles: 5 Spelling Bee Games to Use in the Classroom - The New York Times - October 26th, 2021
- Tandem: A Tale Of Shadows review: pleasing puzzles but short on character - NME - October 26th, 2021
- This new Kickstarter puts a tiny Game Boy-shaped system on a keychain - and it works - SYFY WIRE - October 26th, 2021
- Why detective video games are the perfect way to experience a mystery - The Guardian - October 26th, 2021
- Review: Out of Line - Movies Games and Tech - October 26th, 2021
- Total Mayhem Games on the evolution of Games with Gold success story, We Were Here - TrueAchievements - October 26th, 2021
- How Beatrix Potter and a fear of open water inspired the surreal, Limbo-like horror puzzler Silt - Rock Paper Shotgun - October 26th, 2021
- Happy Halloween on RPS! Have a load of horror-themed writing to celebrate - Rock Paper Shotgun - October 26th, 2021
- The Biggest Console Flops Of All Time - Looper - October 26th, 2021
- Among the Sleep is a horror game freebie on the Epic Games Store - Destructoid - October 26th, 2021
- Xbox Game Pass Oct 2021: Backbone, The Forgotten City, And More - Kotaku - October 26th, 2021
- Award-Winning Game 'Where Cards Fall' For PC and Switch Gets Release Date - COGconnected - October 15th, 2021
- The best hidden object games on PC and mobile - Polygon - October 15th, 2021
- Eye of the Temple review: Spelunking like Indiana Jones - Android Central - October 15th, 2021
- How to clear the mist on Tsurumi Island: Every Perch puzzle and feather location in Genshin Impact - Gamesradar - October 15th, 2021
- "Midnight Protocol" alluded to: The spirit in the machine - Market Research Telecast - October 15th, 2021
- Piece Together The Truth Of A Mysterious Cube - Gamasutra - October 15th, 2021
- Zookeeper World is a glimpse at life without free-to-play restrictions - Destructoid - October 15th, 2021
- Penn State Trying To 'Complete The Puzzle' In Run Game Ahead Of Iowa Showdown - Onward State - October 15th, 2021
- Singaporean Game Knight Crawlers Brings Whimsical Ragdoll Physics to Action RPGs - IGN SOUTH EAST ASIA - October 15th, 2021
- Challenge your mind with Immortus Temporus on Xbox, PlayStation and Switch - TheXboxHub - October 15th, 2021
- Two Player Mobile Game, Get Together: A Coop Adventure, Will Be Available To Play Tomorrow - mxdwn.com - October 15th, 2021
- Best Wii U Games: Many Of These Games Walked, So Their Switch Ports Could Run - GameSpot - October 15th, 2021
- 5 games that look (and play) better on the Nintendo Switch OLED - NME.com - October 15th, 2021
- Aspyr 25 Anniversary Celebration Starts with Big Sales and More - But Why Tho? A Geek Community - October 15th, 2021
- Plant with Care is a laid-back puzzler about growing ingredients that's heading for iOS and Android this month - Pocket Gamer - October 15th, 2021
- PC Building Simulator is free on the Epic Games Store - The Verge - October 15th, 2021
- Get boxed in with Catty & Batty: The Spirit Guide on console - TheXboxHub - October 15th, 2021
- Play Pass celebrates its 2nd birthday with 12 new games including Very Little Nightmares - Chrome Unboxed - October 15th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: Reviews Featuring 'Underland' and 'Antonball Deluxe', Plus the Latest News, Releases, and Sales TouchArcade - Touch Arcade - October 15th, 2021