Cigar clippings were scattered on the locker-room floor, a haze of smoke flooded the air and LSU quarterback Joe Burrow emerged with a stogie between his fingers and a smirk across his face.
There was no more appropriate celebration for the nation's newest champions, the 42-25 victors over Clemson in the College Football Playoff National Championship Game, won Monday night in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.
The perfect season ended in the perfect place. The only thing missing was the flare of a jazz trumpet, wailing a celebration that was surely spilling into the streets of New Orleans in that very moment.
It seemed almost inevitable that LSU's fourth national championship would be won here, where the sound of thousands of hometown voices boomed into the stadium's deepest chambers.
The celebration started on the field. Confetti fell from the rafters, spilling onto the shoulders of LSU coach Ed Orgeron, the Larose native, who led his home state team back to the pinnacle of college football.
"This is for everybody," Orgeron hollered from the stage, as fans in purple and gold roared their refrain.
Believe it, LSU fans! The Tigers are the 2020 College Football Playoff champions.
Did you hear them in the fourth quarter? When Burrow, the Heisman Trophy winner, hurled a 24-yard touchdown pass to a leaping Terrace Marshall, when the final score of the night made LSU's lead cozier than a front porch on a spring afternoon?
"Callin' Baton Rouge" piped from the speakers. Most of the crowd screamed the infamous "Neck" chant over whatever the Golden Band from Tigerland happened to play. The Dome's video board showed Burrow waving his arm up and down to the chant, and the crowd howled approvingly for the Ohio State transfer who has become Louisiana's adopted son.
Burrow's final performance 31-of-49 passing for 463 yards and five touchdowns was classic even by Heisman standards. The senior set a NCAA record for single-season touchdown passes (60) and his five touchdown passes tied Southern Cal's Matt Leinart for the most in a championship game.
Barely 24 hours after meeting his childhood idol, Joe Burrow marched off the field at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome much like Drew Brees has don
And it was a New Orleans native, Ja'Marr Chase, who broke the game open.
The wide receiver from Rummel High recorded nine catches for 221 yards and two touchdowns a record total of yards receiving that set a CFP Championship Game record.
"To say I had all my goals written down on my mirror, I accomplished every goal I wrote down," Chase said. "I've got to come up with new goals now. This season has been ridiculous, man, that's all I can say."
There was a time when it didn't seem so inevitable.
No, Clemson seized control of the title match with early aggression.
Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence completed a deep 35-yard pass to Justyn Ross to the LSU 46-yard line on the game's second play.
LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda expected Clemson to counter blitzes with screens they'd done so 80% of the time this season and Travis Etienne took a screen 19 yards to the LSU 27.
While President Donald Trump didn't outwardly throw his support behind either LSU or Clemson, he commented that he thought the national champi
Then LSU's defense tightened. On third-and-8, outside linebacker Michael Divinity returned for the first time since he departed the team for disciplinary reasons before the Nov. 9 Alabama game. He rushed off the left edge, clearing a space for safety Grant Delpit to sack Lawrence and force a punt.
And that's where LSU's offense began solving one of its toughest puzzles of the season.
Clemson's defensive front successfully brought pressure, and its defensive backs pressed LSU's receivers tightly, creating a strong box in which Burrow and the offense struggled to break out.
Within the first three drives which LSU started at its own 7 and 4 and 25 the Tigers gained just 17 yards on 11 plays. Burrow was 4-of-9 passing for 25 yards in those drives.
It went from the Tiger Bowl to the Tiger Championship, but Clemson finally snapped an LSU scoreboard streak that underscores its dominance.
Clemson's dynamic defender Isaiah Simmons swatted Burrow's first official pass incomplete. Burrow was sacked.LSU running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire was dropped for a loss of 2.
LSU punted three times, and its defense couldn't contain Clemson any longer.
Starting at his own 33, Clemson's Lawrence completed a play-action pass 42 yards to a wide-open Braden Galloway an explosive play moved back to the LSU 40 due to an illegal blindside block. The penalty only slowed Clemson from scoring four plays later on a 1-yard touchdown run by Lawrence to lead 7-0 with 6:34 left in the first quarter.
LSU had trouble getting pressure on Lawrence in key situations.
On second-and-14 at the Clemson 21 in the first quarter, Lawrence scrambled for 8 yards, making LSU linebacker Patrick Queen miss as he created a manageable third-down conversion. Later, he evaded outside linebacker K'Lavon Chaisson in the backfield to complete an 18-yard pass to the Clemson 47 eventually setting up a 52-yard field goal.
Then, on the next drive, Clemson was backed up to its 4, and Lawrence had a clean pocket and completed a 24-yard pass to Ross. The explosive plays continued. Etienne rushed for 29 yards off the right edge, forcing LSU to hone in on the running back from Jennings. Etienne pitched a reverse to Tee Higgins, who barreled through two LSU defenders on a 36-yard touchdown run.
Clemson led 17-7 with 10:38 left in the first half. LSU had never trailed by two scores this season.
How did LSU finally solve the puzzle?
The Biletnikoff Award winner: Chase. He produced 133 of LSU's first 192 total yards. He separated himself from Clemson cornerback A.J. Terrell and caught a 52-yard touchdown that tied the score at 7 with 2:20 left in the first quarter.
Then, once LSU was down two scores, Chase fought past Terrell again for a 56-yard reception before he was tackled at the Clemson 3 where LSU remained until third-and-goal.
And that's when the LSU offense yes,thisLSU offense in the year 2020 went with an empty set. Burrow snapped the ball alone in the backfield, and it was he who ran in the 3-yard touchdown that pulled LSU to within 17-14.
Burrow's designed runs opened LSU's offense. On the following drive, he scrambled and slid for a 10-yard gain, beginning of LSU's most efficient drives of the night: Burrow hit Justin Jefferson for a 22-yard reception; Edwards-Helaire spun out of a tackle on a sideline pass for 23 yards; Jefferson lowered his shoulder into a safety for an 18-yard gain to the Clemson 14.
Then there was Chase again.
Burrow lofted a fade to the deep right corner of the end zone, and Chase hauled in the 14-yard touchdown reception that set LSU ahead for good, 21-17.
On third-and-10 at the Clemson 35, Burrow gashed Clemson again on the ground with a 29-yard run in the open field. Burrow pitched a 6-yard touchdown pass to Thaddeus Moss.
LSU led 28-17 at halftime, with Burrow once again a hero.
"I don't know about the whole hero thing," Burrow said. "But I know this national championship will be remembered for a long time in Louisiana. To do it in New Orleans is even more special. This is going to be remembered for a long time."
If you're not already and Advocate | Times-Picayune subscriber, we've got a deal you can't pass on.
The Advocates offices in Baton Rouge, New Orleans and Lafayette are open Tuesday morning and stocked with extras newspapers and high-quality
Believe it, LSU fans! The Tigers are the 2020 College Football Playoff champions.
Success! An email has been sent with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
- Explore a hole new world in free puzzle game Hole and Box - PC Gamer - February 28th, 2020
- The Room: A Dark Matter Coming to All Major VR Headsets in Late March, Trailer Here - Road to VR - February 28th, 2020
- ART OF THE WEEK | Why You Should Play (or Replay) the Portal Series - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - February 28th, 2020
- Maquette is a daring puzzle sport love story a decade within the making - BingePost - February 28th, 2020
- 'Survivor 40: Winners at War': Who Was Voted Off in Episode 3? The Blindsides Begin at the 4th Tribal Council - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 28th, 2020
- Puzzle No. 3526 - The Nation - February 27th, 2020
- Whitehaven still trying to solve fixtures puzzle - News & Star - February 27th, 2020
- A Good Puzzle to Have for Vance Vice - 247Sports - February 27th, 2020
- MasterPieces To Debut Clifford The Big Red Dog Games and Puzzles Line - aNb Media - February 27th, 2020
- 'Dispatches from Elsewhere': Meet the 4 ordinary people who become 'unwitting participants' in mysterious game - MEAWW - February 27th, 2020
- Baldur's Gate 3 looks great even when everything is going wrong - PC Gamer - February 27th, 2020
- Timelie Is coming To PC, A Beautiful Puzzle Game That Follows The Story Of A Girl And Her Cat - Happy Gamer - February 26th, 2020
- One Of The Most Creepy Puzzle Game Little Nightmares To Release Its part 2 - The Inner Sane - February 26th, 2020
- Prep Regionals Preview: Five Twin Harbors teams play in regionals this weekend - The Daily World - February 26th, 2020
- Neil Cameron: Why the Rangers players have let Steven Gerrard down - HeraldScotland - February 26th, 2020
- How conservatives rigged our politics: Republicans are beating Democrats at a game they dont even know theyre playing - AlterNet - February 26th, 2020
- A wizard themed mystery game is coming to Edinburgh - here's everything you need to know - The Scotsman - February 26th, 2020
- Disc Room for Windows PC is an action game, full of deadly buzzsaws - Polygon - February 24th, 2020
- The Global Online Toys and Games Retailing Market is expected to grow by USD 9.10 bn during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of 10% during the... - February 24th, 2020
- New History Mystery escape game Goin' Up City opens at Museum of Norwich | What's on and things to do in Norfolk - Eastern Daily Press - February 24th, 2020
- Surviving the Season as 2020 Supercross Hits the Halfway Point - Supercross - Racer X Online - February 24th, 2020
- March Madness, but for gamers - University at Buffalo The Spectrum - February 24th, 2020
- Markus Hannikainen traded to the Arizona Coyotes for a conditional pick - The Cannon - February 24th, 2020
- Don Sweeney doesnt land big name, but fills needs - Boston Herald - February 24th, 2020
- Resolved - The New York Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Can You Flip Your Way To Victory? - FiveThirtyEight - February 23rd, 2020
- The puzzle why Millwall seem to perform better against top sides boss gives opinion | - Southwark News - February 23rd, 2020
- 'This Is Us' Fans Think the Time Capsule Reveals How the Series Ends for Randall, Kevin, and Kate - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 23rd, 2020
- Buffalo Games Partners With BuzzFeed To Create Line Of Party Games - Yahoo Finance - February 22nd, 2020
- Goff: Three trades the Wild should consider that don't involve draft picks - SKOR North - February 22nd, 2020
- Astros' Reddick tells of death threats to his children over cheating scandal - The Guardian - February 22nd, 2020
- TFNY: Winning Moves Debuts New Games and Puzzles - The Toy Book - February 21st, 2020
- Exciting New Games And Puzzles From Winning Moves USA - PRNewswire - February 21st, 2020
- inbento, the excellent food-themed puzzle game, will be heading for Nintendo Switch in March - Pocket Gamer - February 21st, 2020
- Kosmokrats Is A New Russian Inspired Zero-Gravity Adventure Puzzle Game That Is Headed Straight For Steam... - Happy Gamer - February 21st, 2020
- Atari launches new mobile games to accelerate its growth and issues new shares with preferential subscription rights in partnership with two... - February 21st, 2020
- InnerSpace: What You Should Know About the Epic Games Store Freebie - CCN.com - February 21st, 2020
- 6 Casino and Slot Game Trends to Be on the Lookout for in 2020 - Net Newsledger - February 21st, 2020
- TFNY: MasterPieces Debuts Clifford the Big Red Dog Puzzle and Game Collection The Toy Book - The Toy Book - February 20th, 2020
- World of Horror is a creepy, retro, and completely hypnotic horror game - The Verge - February 20th, 2020
- Retooling Pistons will use seasons last 25 games to help plot their future, Casey says - Pistons.com - February 20th, 2020
- Survivor: Winners at War Recap: A Fire Token Economy Revamps the Game - TVLine - February 20th, 2020
- Second-Half Surge: Vancouver Whitecaps use pair of second-half goals to coast to win over Revolution - Between The Sticks - February 20th, 2020
- The 6 best and 6 worst Lord of the Rings games - Looper - February 20th, 2020
- Fight Zombie Gorillas and Save Your Spaceship at a VR Hub in a Kensington Warehouse - Broadsheet - February 20th, 2020
- 50 Ideas For Things To Do Around Cleveland In The Cold - Talk Radio 1210 WPHT - February 19th, 2020
- 'I can sense the hurt': Mookie Betts, David Price give World Series hope to Dodgers team hungry for a title - USA TODAY - February 19th, 2020
- Show Interest - The New York Times - February 19th, 2020
- Cavaliers legend Jim Chones loves team bucking small-ball trend: Theres always going to be room for a big man - Akron Beacon Journal - February 19th, 2020
- Video game review: 7th Sector: An inspired sci-fi game from the point of view of a spark - Worcester Telegram - February 18th, 2020
- MouseCraft Will Bring A Blend Of Tetris And Lemmings To Switch Next Week - Nintendo Life - February 18th, 2020
- PATH OF GIANTS Review: Teamwork Makes The Puzzles Work - GameTyrant - February 17th, 2020
- Video Game Makers Want to Get Players Off the Couch - The New York Times - February 17th, 2020
- Fortnite Teasing Next Season's Content With Intercepted Transmission - Screen Rant - February 17th, 2020
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate Will Be Free At Epic Games Store This Week - GameSpot - February 17th, 2020
- Is it just a new ballpark? What to expect from the 2020 Texas Rangers - WFAA.com - February 17th, 2020
- Pass a controller and gear up for these co op games - Nintendo - February 16th, 2020
- Florida teacher shocks Pat Sajak by solving Wheel of Fortune puzzle with only four letters - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - February 16th, 2020
- LCHS girls advances to the NW Regional Championship game with a win over WInfield 47-32 - Times Daily - February 16th, 2020
- Free Online Puzzle Games and Board Games from AddictingGames.com - February 15th, 2020
- Those Who Remain: hands-on with the scary puzzle game - Den of Geek UK - February 15th, 2020
- Leonardo and chess - TheArticle - February 15th, 2020
- Florida teacher shocks Pat Sajak by solving Wheel of Fortune puzzle with only four letters - Apalachicola Times - February 15th, 2020
- Lamar opens new season with win over Rhode Island - 12newsnow.com KBMT-KJAC - February 15th, 2020
- Google announces five new games for Stadia, the first since the cloud service launched - The Verge - February 14th, 2020
- Patterned, the popular Apple Arcade puzzle game, has received some new Valentine's and Spring themed content - Pocket Gamer - February 14th, 2020
- Untitled Goose Game HONKs its way to GOTY at the 2020 DICE Awards - PCGamesN - February 14th, 2020
- Best new mobile games on iOS and Android - February 2020 round-up - Metro.co.uk - February 14th, 2020
- GTFO is a punishing co-op shooter where shooting should be considered a last resort - GamesRadar - February 14th, 2020
- Domingo Santana Adds Power (And Leaky Defense) To The Cleveland Indians Roster - Forbes - February 14th, 2020
- Can you find the engagement ring in this Valentine's Day brainteaser? - Insider - INSIDER - February 14th, 2020
- Zynga's Earnings Report Sends the Stock Up. Will the Rise Continue? - Motley Fool - February 14th, 2020
- Putting the Pieces Together: Florida Baseball Season Preview - ESPN 98.1 FM - 850 AM WRUF - WRUF - February 14th, 2020
- Those Who Remain: Hands-on with the Scary Puzzle Game - Den of Geek US - February 13th, 2020
- How to Solve the Dawn of Fear Chess Piece Puzzle | Game Rant - GameRant - February 13th, 2020
- Apple Arcade gives its games the Valentine's Day treatment - CNET - February 13th, 2020
- Historic & Momentous Weekend Of Hockey In The WCHA - FloHockey - February 13th, 2020
- Xavier and Tamia Tillman prepare to welcome son to family triangle - The State News - February 13th, 2020
- Here's what you need to buy to play Half-Life: Alyx on March 23 - The Next Web - February 13th, 2020
- Smart Toys and Games Debuting New Products at Toy Fair, Booth 2835 - Yahoo Finance - February 13th, 2020