MONDAY PUZZLE Before we begin, please rise for the 71A national anthem.
Thank you. You may now be seated.
Please welcome Emma Craven-Matthews to the New York Times Crossword constructors club. She offers us a smooth and entertaining opening to our solving week.
A hearty congratulations to the TIM HORTONS chain for making its debut in the New York Times Crossword. Ive never had the pleasure of consuming a Tim Hortons doughnut or cup of coffee, but when travel restrictions ease up, I might take a road trip. I know they have a few locations in New York State, but Id like to have the authentic Canadian Tim Hortons experience.
The rest of the puzzle was easygoing. It was the kind of solve where I started typing and didnt stop until I heard the San Jose Strut finish music. Even so, here are a few clues that solvers may have had trouble with.
15A. We have another lovely quote clue for ART, this time by Hippocrates: Life is short and ART is long. The Latin translation from Hippocratess Greek is Ars longa, vita brevis. The entire quote is The art is long, life is short, opportunity fleeting, experiment dangerous, judgment difficult.
70A. Vancouver is often associated with RAIN. A nice bit of meteorological theme material.
4D. Beware the sneaky plural. I first read this as Leaf-watching time, maybe, and was thinking of autumn. That, as they say, is just what they want you to think. The clue, Leafs-watching time, maybe, refers to the N.H.L. team, the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the answer is HOCKEY NIGHT.
8D. Newer solvers: Remember, a language other than English in the clue means that the answer has to be in that language. So, Bear, un zoolgico is looking for the word bear in Spanish. The answer is OSO.
Ms. Craven-Matthews offers us a very brief tour of CANADA, with trips to HOCKEY NIGHT and TIM HORTONS along the way. There is even some delicious MAPLE SYRUP in the southwest corner. What a fun way to start the week.
The only thing missing from this puzzle are the Mounties and the McKenzie brothers. (Dear Canada, I fully recognize that you actually have a long, rich history filled with all sorts of delightful cultural and sporting activities. It was a joke. Please put away your hockey sticks. I am SAYING SORRY. Thank you.)
Im incredibly excited to be publishing a puzzle with The New York Times. Ive been a crossword fanatic for years, sometimes to my detriment (hand injuries from too much online puzzling), sometimes to my employers detriment (when I worked as a barista, Id hide a book of Sunday puzzles under the cash register for when business was slow) but I started constructing only this summer during lockdown.
I love words so much I graduated from Cornell University with a degree in comparative literature. I grew up in Vermont but Ive been living in Sweden for the past few years; Im currently pursuing a masters in international marketing and brand management at Lund University.
Im glad Will Shortz chose this puzzle because its theme is quite special to me and about half my family. Incidentally, Im thrilled my clues for 17A and 6D made it through I love to sneak in references to art I enjoy, places Ive lived, animals I think are cute, anything that makes people who know me say, Of course you shoehorned that in.
Looking back, I wouldnt have crammed two theme entries in the upper right/lower left corners; that limited my options for a clean fill but Ive chalked that up to experience. My theme answers and clues still make me smile though 4D and 27D are particular favorites.
A big thank you to my parents, who were a supportive test audience for numerous clunky first drafts. CC: Thanks for helping with these edits and for being my sounding board; PM: Sorry I didnt tell you I was getting published but I wanted to surprise you.
And of course I owe many thanks to the patient and helpful New York Times Crossword crew; Im honored to work with you all. Hope to do it again soon, eh?
Almost finished solving but need a bit more help? Weve got you covered.
Warning: There be spoilers ahead, but subscribers can take a peek at the answer key.
Trying to get back to the puzzle page? Right here.
View original post here:
The R of R.B.G. - The New York Times
- 37GAMES' Puzzles & Survival is Trending Everywhere, according to YouTubers and Download Rankings - PRNewswire - January 24th, 2021
- Bonnies solve another Pittsburgh puzzle, extend streak to six - pickinsplinters.com - January 24th, 2021
- Award-Winning Puzzle Adventure Game, Arrog, Releasing on PS4 and PS5 in February - PlayStation LifeStyle - January 24th, 2021
- The Case For Valve To Bring Back The Portal Series | Game Rant - GameRant - January 24th, 2021
- Switch Puzzle games where you have to manipulate certain environment/character elements to prevent catastrophe? - Nintendo Switch Forum - Page 1 -... - January 22nd, 2021
- These 5 Steam Games Have the BEST Reviews on the Platform - Here's Why - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 22nd, 2021
- COVID-19 led an L.A. troupe to reject Zoom theater for games - Los Angeles Times - January 22nd, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Colorful Colore', 'Timothy & the Mysterious Forest', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - January 22nd, 2021
- The Last Of Us Part 2 has the best storytelling in a video game - Metro.co.uk - January 22nd, 2021
- Keep Calm and Stay Adapted - UMM News, Sports & Events - January 22nd, 2021
- 10 Xbox 360 Games That Were Held Back By The Hardware - TheGamer - January 22nd, 2021
- Review: Ray's The Dead - Movies Games and Tech - January 22nd, 2021
- Galactic Civilizations III is free on the Epic Games Store this week - PC Invasion - January 22nd, 2021
- The state of VR in 2021 - PC Gamer - January 22nd, 2021
- Love Among the Shadows: Beautiful Puzzle Platformer 'Eternal Hope' Launches on PC - GamingLyfe Network - January 22nd, 2021
- Doom Eternal: The most overlooked game of 2020 - Sportskeeda - January 22nd, 2021
- What The Critics Are Saying About Nuts - Looper - January 22nd, 2021
- This free puzzler is a clever twist on the Minesweeper formula - PC Gamer - January 20th, 2021
- Paruzal Games Celebrates One Year Anniversary Wins Best Puzzle Design Award for Pizza Makes Anything Possible - PRUnderground - January 20th, 2021
- Alex Zandra's Top 10 Games of 2020 - Giant Bomb - January 20th, 2021
- Review: Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 - Movies Games and Tech - January 20th, 2021
- Greg Miller's Top 10 Games of 2020 - Giant Bomb - January 20th, 2021
- Games of the week: El Hijo A Wild West Tale, Override 2: Super Mech League, When the Past was Around, and Alba: A Wildlife Adventure - Inverness... - January 20th, 2021
- Survival Z, Lumen and Populus Run: All the games we can't wait to play on Apple Arcade - Best gaming pro - January 20th, 2021
- Will Smith's Top 11 Games of 2020 - Giant Bomb - January 20th, 2021
- 3 Point And Click Puzzle Games That Are Great For Kids - NPR - January 15th, 2021
- What We Want to See in the New Indiana Jones Game | Game Rant - GameRant - January 15th, 2021
- Out Now: 'Erica - Interactive Thriller', 'Neon Beats', 'Yankai's Diamond', 'Picnic Penguin', 'Onmyoji: The Card Game', 'Basketball vs Zombies', 'The... - January 15th, 2021
- Review: The Pillar: Puzzle escape - Movies Games and Tech - January 15th, 2021
- Review: Professor Lupo: Ocean - Movies Games and Tech - January 15th, 2021
- Save on big games in the latest Nintendo eShop sale - Thumbsticks - January 15th, 2021
- Ford has been inside player Panthers have needed - Arkansas Online - January 15th, 2021
- Actually Chat To Your Own Digital Assistant In Acolyte, The Narrative/Puzzle Game About AI - TheGamer - January 13th, 2021
- The Best Escape Room Game Is Coming To Steam | TheGamer - TheGamer - January 13th, 2021
- CES 2021: The Wowcube is a next-gen puzzle gaming console that I need - Critical Hit - January 13th, 2021
- Daniel Kleffmann's Blog - Collaboration games in the aftermath of COVID-19 - Gamasutra - January 13th, 2021
- Deal: Who Thinks They Can Solve These Areaware Gradient Puzzles? - InsideHook - January 13th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'S.U.M. - Slay Uncool Monsters', 'Epitaph', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - January 13th, 2021
- REVIEW: Luna: The Shadow Dust Updates the Old Adventure Game Genre - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 9th, 2021
- Pictopix is four years old and still the best Picross game on PC - Rock Paper Shotgun - January 9th, 2021
- Choose Topeka brought him here. Now he's releasing his first video game from the capital city. - The Topeka Capital-Journal - January 9th, 2021
- Puzzling through romance - The Tech - January 9th, 2021
- Metacritics 10 Highest Rated Games, According To User Score - GameRant - January 9th, 2021
- Eight great-looking PC games not to miss in January - PCGamesN - January 9th, 2021
- Screen-free weekend activities for kids: Keep them busy with puzzles, colouring books and more - The Independent - January 9th, 2021
- Five games I wish everyone played in 2020 - Destructoid - January 9th, 2021
- Top mobile apps of 2020: TikTok, Fitbit, Roblox and Among Us lead the way - GeekWire - January 9th, 2021
- The games we're looking forward to in 2021 - Eurogamer.net - January 9th, 2021
- Hitman 3 preview -- Beginning the end of a bloody journey - PC Invasion - January 9th, 2021
- 55 'hidden gems' released on the Switch eShop in 2020 - Destructoid - January 9th, 2021
- Heres Your Chance To Get Your Mobile Game Published And Win SGD$160,000 - IGN Southeast Asia - January 9th, 2021
- Free Guy Might Be The Only Video Game Movie The World Needs - GameRant - January 9th, 2021
- Meet the Puzzle Makers of New York Times Games - The New York Times - January 5th, 2021
- Why Gamers Should Be at the Top of Your Hiring List - Built In - January 5th, 2021
- Good Reads from Brilliant Books: 'The Inheritance Games' by Jennifer Lynn Barnes - 9&10 News - January 5th, 2021
- Oculus Quest Games 2021: Every Title Coming This Year - UploadVR - January 5th, 2021
- VR Puzzler Hyperstacks Will Be Coming To Steam Q2 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - January 5th, 2021
- Why Is Tetris the Most Searched Game Even Today - PVP Live - January 5th, 2021
- Lego Indiana Jones: 5 Things The Games Got Right About The Movies (& 5 They Got Wrong) - GameRant - January 5th, 2021
- Plant a garden, solve puzzles and save the world in these video games - The Japan Times - January 4th, 2021
- The Pillar is Headed to Mobile in 2021 - mxdwn.com - January 4th, 2021
- 36 temporarily free and 73 on-sale apps and games for New Year's Day - Android Police - January 4th, 2021
- 8 Best Games Masahiro Sakurai Worked On That Aren't Super Smash Bros. (According To Metacritic) - TheGamer - January 4th, 2021
- TheGamer Editor's Choices Of 2020 - Eric Switzer | TheGamer - TheGamer - January 4th, 2021
- We're Just Playing: Some Our Favorite Games of the Year - 25YearsLaterSite.com - January 4th, 2021
- Review: Call of the Sea Has Phenomenal Graphics, Somewhat Easy Puzzles - thirdcoastreview.com - December 31st, 2020
- The 10 video games that made 2020 bearable - The Next Web - December 31st, 2020
- Chess.com Puzzle Week 2021: All The Information - Chess.com - December 31st, 2020
- Faheys Top 10 Games Of 2020 - Kotaku Australia - December 31st, 2020
- Wccftechs Best Adventure Games of 2020 Means to Escape - Wccftech - December 31st, 2020
- The Best Video Game of 2020 Taught Me Patience in an Impatient Year - VICE - December 31st, 2020
- Test eyes, hands and mind in soccer board game from Bethel hall-of-famer in Mishawaka - South Bend Tribune - December 31st, 2020
- Hell Sports, Wingspan, Cube Raiders, The Innsmouth Case and the uber-cheap FUZE Player arrive on Switch - Games Asylum - December 31st, 2020
- Smith the problem solver faces tough new puzzle - The Roar - December 31st, 2020
- How To Get The Most Out Of Xbox Game Pass - Kotaku - December 31st, 2020
- Call of the Sea Interview Art Style, Puzzles, Story, and More - GamingBolt - December 28th, 2020
- Professor Lupo: Ocean is a puzzle adventure game that's set to release for iOS, Android and Switch today - Pocket Gamer - December 28th, 2020
- 10 Anime That Are Actually Better As Video Games | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - December 28th, 2020
- Who Wants Candy? - The New York Times - December 28th, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'BIT.TRIP' Series, 'Door Kickers', 'DungeonTop', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - December 28th, 2020