Lloyd Pierce, like so many coaches, was fired for reasons mostly outside of his control. The Hawks were supposed to make a playoff push after a painful rebuilding process in his first two seasons in charge. But waves of injuries prevented Pierce from ever having a full roster, and Atlanta parted ways with the coach on Monday. Those injuries also prevented him from finding an answer to the dilemma that his replacement, whether its interim head coach Nate McMillan or someone Atlanta hires this offseason, will have to deal with: How much can, and should, Trae Young play off the ball?
The Hawks gave Young the keys to the offense from day one. He has been one of the most ball-dominant guards in the NBA over the past three seasons:
Young has put up massive individual numbers as a result, with career averages of 24.1 points and 8.8 assists per game. But none of that has translated to team success. The Hawks were one of the worst teams in the NBA in his first two seasons, and have a 14-20 record with a net rating of minus-0.3 this season.
Theres good and bad that comes with being in total control of the offense. Its easy for Young to get into a rhythm because he always has the ball, but that also means he doesnt have anyone to set him up for easier shots when hes struggling. The most telling statistic, per Synergy Sports, is that only 8 percent of his shots this season have come in catch-and-shoot situations, compared to the 39.2 percent that he shoots off the dribble.
Its an unusual situation for such a young point guard to be in. Trae came into the league after one season of college, and was immediately one of the NBAs smallest players at 6-foot-1 and 180 pounds. He was thrown into the fire right away. There was no apprenticeship period for him to learn the NBA game and develop physically while playing a smaller role in the offense.
Thats the typical career path for players like him. In his first few seasons, Damian Lillard played a smaller role on a veteran team led by LaMarcus Aldridge. James Harden and Russell Westbrook were forced to share the ball on a superteam in Oklahoma City. Steph Curry has never dominated the ball like Young has because of Golden States unique offensive system.
Ironically enough, the one other point guard who was asked to do everything right away is Luka Doncic, whom Young will always be compared to because of their teams draft-night trade. Neither has shown much interest in playing off the ball. But its also a bit of a chicken and the egg thing. Do they not want to give up the rock because they arent comfortable doing so, or because theres no one on their team whom they trust to take it?
Young has never had much help in Atlanta. The teams offense has completely fallen apart as soon as hes come off the floor in each of his first three seasons. That was supposed to change this season following the signings of Danilo Gallinari, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Rajon Rondo, and Kris Dunn. Instead, it has been the same story as ever. The Hawks go from an offensive rating of 115.4 with Trae to 101.8 without him. Thats the difference between the no. 7 offense in the NBA and no. 30.
Youngs role is a long-term puzzle for the franchise, but the teams immediate problem has been injuries. Gallinari has played in 22 of 34 games, Rondo has played in 18, and Bogdanovic, who has been out since early January with an avulsion fracture in his left knee, has played in only nine. Dunn has not played at all while recovering from offseason ankle surgery. The most important injury was to DeAndre Hunter, who hurt his knee on January 29. Hunter had emerged as their best two-way player in his second season, and the Hawks have not been able to replace everything he provided on both ends of the floor. They are 9-9 with Hunter this season and 5-11 without him.
Atlanta could have waited to see what Pierce could do with the entire roster at his disposal, but GM Travis Schlenk felt that it was time for a change. McMillan, a longtime NBA head coach who was Pierces lead assistant after spending the last four seasons in Indiana, will walk into a nice situation. He should have more success than his former boss just because he will have a better team to work with.
There are two red flags from this season that may have pushed Atlanta to act now with Pierce. The first is their crunch time performance. The Hawks have the second-worst net rating (minus-21.1 in 63 minutes) in the clutch (the last five minutes of a game with a margin of five points or fewer). They have blown 11 fourth-quarter leads.
The second is the aftermath of a story in The Athletic about an argument in the film room between Young and John Collins. That kind of thing happens all the time in the NBA, but rarely is leaked to the media. It clearly impacted Young, who had one of the worst games of his career in a loss to Charlotte (seven points on 2-of-9 shooting and three assists) after the dispute.
The running theme through both issues is the way Trae dominates the ball. Collins, who turned down an extension for less than the max and will be a restricted free agent this offseason, was frustrated with his lack of opportunities on offense. Despite being on the receiving end of many assists from Young, he wanted the Hawks to play a more free-flowing style that allowed multiple players to control the ball. Its hard to read Traes lack of aggressiveness against the Hornets as anything but a dig at Collins, with him essentially saying, Look at what happens when Im in a smaller role on offense.
But that argument goes the other way when it comes to crunch time. Young is in charge of everything in those moments, and he has not been particularly effective. Hes shooting 38.5 percent from the field and 20 percent from 3 while handing out 13 assists and nine turnovers. Its hard to point to one reason, especially given the small sample size of only 63 minutes, but it cant help that defenses can key in on him, knowing that no one else will initiate the offense.
Young will almost certainly get better with time in the fourth quarter. He doesnt have much experience in big games at the NBA level because the Hawks were so bad in his first two seasons. Hes still five to six years away from his prime. The question for Atlanta is what its offense should look like at that point.
The Hawks already have the pieces in place to be a perennial playoff team. Their top players have been very effective together this season. Young, Collins, Hunter, and Clint Capela have a net rating of plus-12.9 in 204 minutes. Combine those four, none of whom is older than 26, with two promising wings in Cam Reddish and Kevin Huerter and Atlanta has one of the best young cores in the league.
But the game is played differently in the playoffs compared to the regular season. In the postseason, defenses will force a ball-dominant point guard to give up the ball. A one-man offense can go only so far. The Hawks are nowhere near ready for that, largely because Young isnt.
Thats why their next coach is so important. They will have to design an offense that empowers more than one player. More importantly, they will have to get Young to buy in to a more balanced system. Pierce didnt have much choice but to let his star point guard be the system in Atlanta. Until Young learns to give that up, the Hawks will always have a ceiling.
See the original post here:
The Next Hawks Coach Will Have to Solve the Trae Young Puzzle - The Ringer
- 11 new Android games from the last week: The best, worst, and everything in between (3/29/21 - 4/4/21) - Android Police - April 4th, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 4th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Dungeon & Puzzles', 'Stick Fight: The Game', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - April 4th, 2021
- The Three Best and Worst Games of March 2021 - COGconnected - April 4th, 2021
- Google Play Pass now has over 800 games, apps - HT Tech - April 4th, 2021
- The Easiest Ways to Boost Your Gamerscore from the Xbox Games of March 2021 - TheXboxHub - April 4th, 2021
- Game of the Month: March 2021's Best PS5, PS4 Games - Pure PlayStation - April 4th, 2021
- This Weeks VR Game Roundup: New Archery Game, Kitchen Island VR - VR Fitness Insider - April 4th, 2021
- Best New Android Games This Week: The Wake, Quick Fire, Dual Summoners, and More - DroidGamers - April 4th, 2021
- It Takes Two review: This is how it runs on PC - Laptop Mag - April 4th, 2021
- Pillars of Active Aging - Old School Puzzles And Games To Promote Active Aging Brain Health - LNP | LancasterOnline - March 4th, 2021
- Tvinnr: Basic tips to help you enjoy this relaxing puzzle game - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- Maquette is a neat puzzle game that packs an emotional punch - The Next Web - March 4th, 2021
- Our most anticipated indie games of 2021 - Rock Paper Shotgun - March 4th, 2021
- MonkeyBox 2: Cards! is an upcoming puzzle adventure game for iOS from TheCodingMonkeys - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- Play with Gravity in Gravifire on Xbox and Switch - TheXboxHub - March 4th, 2021
- Lovin Games Weekly - There is a new Aliens game on the way - Lovin Dublin - March 4th, 2021
- It Takes Two Isn't Focusing on Replayability, Won't Have Collectibles - GameRant - March 4th, 2021
- The Video Games to Play This Month: Get Tiny with Maquette, It Takes Two, and More! - The Portland Mercury - March 4th, 2021
- 50% Kemco RPG and Puzzle Games on PS Store - GLYFE Nation - March 4th, 2021
- Worst Pokmon Spin-off Games Nintendo Should Never Remake - Screen Rant - March 4th, 2021
- Super Rare Games giving immersive puzzle game Creaks a physical Switch release next week - GoNintendo - March 4th, 2021
- Every Uncharted Game, Ranked Worst To Best | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - March 4th, 2021
- 10 Games We Need To See On PSVR2 That Could Actually Happen On PS5 - TheGamer - March 4th, 2021
- PC Review - 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead' - WorthPlaying.com - March 4th, 2021
- Sponsored: 5 games that make you think like a programmer - Gamasutra - March 4th, 2021
- Inked review - "If only looks were everything" | Articles - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- From Portal to Witcher 3: The games people cheat at the most! - European Gaming Industry News - March 4th, 2021
- 5 Best PC Boxing games to play in 2021 - Gameranx - March 4th, 2021
- What Are the Most Popular Types of Mobile Game? | TechQuila - TechQuila - February 19th, 2021
- The Legend of Zelda games ranked! - The Guardian - February 19th, 2021
- Wordsmyth is a beautiful daily word game coming soon to iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - February 19th, 2021
- Review: She Remembered Caterpillars - Movies Games and Tech - February 19th, 2021
- Artie raises $10 million as it pivots to make instant games - VentureBeat - February 19th, 2021
- Fortnite Creative gets callout for puzzles and platformers - AltChar - February 19th, 2021
- Top 10 games to download and play first on your new Apple iPhone - Gadget Bridge - February 19th, 2021
- Outer Wilds launches this summer on Nintendo Switch - Shacknews - February 19th, 2021
- Steam Developer Banned After Trying to Trick Users About Positive Reviews - VICE - February 19th, 2021
- Global Games and Puzzles Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Key Drivers, Business Strategy, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 Express Keeper - Express... - February 19th, 2021
- Next 10 Classic Horror Games To Play If You Liked The Medium - TheGamer - February 17th, 2021
- Game stores seeing an increase in new customers since the COVID-19 pandemic - WeAreGreenBay.com - February 17th, 2021
- The First 10 Games Released On The PS2 (In Chronological Order) - TheGamer - February 17th, 2021
- Zynga Expects Its Mobile Gaming Empire to Grow More Than 30% In 2021 - Motley Fool - February 17th, 2021
- 8 Underrated Open-World Games (That Came Out In The Last 5 Years) - GameRant - February 17th, 2021
- The Room 4: Old Sins Is Out For PC, And Prettier Than Ever - Kotaku - February 17th, 2021
- Knight's Retreat Review - Chess but not! - TheXboxHub - February 17th, 2021
- Soapbox: We Were Here, the Free PS4 Game No One Will Play with Me - Push Square - February 17th, 2021
- PS5 : HuniePop 2, another title that joins Twitch's list of banned games - Explica - February 17th, 2021
- 10 VR Games That Don't Give You Motion Sickness - TheGamer - February 17th, 2021
- 10 Things You Never Knew About The Origins Of Tetris | Game Rant - GameRant - February 17th, 2021
- Games of the week: The Medium, Spire Blast, Encodya and Solas 128 - Inverness Courier - February 17th, 2021
- Nokia 5.4 review this ones for the stock Android fans on a tight budget - Business Insider India - February 17th, 2021
- Thorny Puzzle Title Room To Grow Is Coming To PC This Month - Bleeding Cool News - February 14th, 2021
- Imaginative Puzzle Game QV Heading To Steam | TheGamer - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- 10 Open World Games That Have No Combat | Game Rant - GameRant - February 14th, 2021
- Schell Games Talks I Expect You To Die 2 And VR's Future - UploadVR - February 14th, 2021
- ConnecTank Is a Multiplayer Tank Battle and Puzzle Game Coming This Fall - SuperParent - February 14th, 2021
- Best Valentines Day games for couples: top titles to play with your loved one - TechRadar - February 14th, 2021
- Outer Wilds And The Best Games That Use Time Loops - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- The Most Peaceful Games of 2020, Ranked | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- Best new mobile games on iOS and Android this February - Metro.co.uk - February 14th, 2021
- PS4 Update: Download This New F2P PlayStation 4 Game - RealSport101 - February 14th, 2021
- The Best Free PC Games of Multiple Category in 2021 - TechnoSports - February 14th, 2021
- The DeanBeat: Has the game industry hit its peak with crazy valuations or just begun its growth? - VentureBeat - February 14th, 2021
- Video game review: 'The Medium' a messy horror game with inventive puzzles - telegraphherald.com - February 14th, 2021
- TouchArcade Game of the Week: 'Knightin'+' - Touch Arcade - February 14th, 2021
- Numskull Games Offers Sneak Peek At Upcoming Titles, Reveals RICO London - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- Recursive Puzzle Game, Maquette, to be Released in March - mxdwn.com - February 11th, 2021
- Tackle thorny problems in 'Room to Grow' a plant pushing puzzle game launching on Steam for PC & Mac 25th February 2021! - Gamasutra - February 11th, 2021
- PS5 and PS4 free game bonus: Grab a friend and download co-op puzzler for free - Express - February 11th, 2021
- Somethings Fishy About This Steam Games Very Positive Reviews - Kotaku - February 11th, 2021
- Human Fall Flat Was Originally Designed To Be Portal Meets Limbo - TheGamer - February 11th, 2021
- Tilting Point will invest up to $60 million in user acquisition for Loop Games Match 3D game - VentureBeat - February 11th, 2021
- Every App And VR Game Coming To Oculus App Lab For Quest - UploadVR - February 11th, 2021
- Nuts Review- Hiding Above the Trees, Looking For Squirrels - DualShockers - February 11th, 2021
- A bit about our currently nameless game company, and what we're working on at the moment - Gamasutra - February 11th, 2021
- 'Breath Of The Wild' Reinvented Zelda Games. 'Bowser's Fury' Does That For Mario - Mashable India - February 11th, 2021
- Slipways was the best demo in the Steam Games Festival, but it's gone now - Rock Paper Shotgun - February 9th, 2021
- Move Over, Mother 3 - THESE Nintendo Games Should Be Localized Too - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 9th, 2021
- Solve puzzles in a recursive world where everything is simultaneously tiny and massive - PC Gamer - February 9th, 2021