Lloyd Pierce, like so many coaches, was fired for reasons mostly outside of his control. The Hawks were supposed to make a playoff push after a painful rebuilding process in his first two seasons in charge. But waves of injuries prevented Pierce from ever having a full roster, and Atlanta parted ways with the coach on Monday. Those injuries also prevented him from finding an answer to the dilemma that his replacement, whether its interim head coach Nate McMillan or someone Atlanta hires this offseason, will have to deal with: How much can, and should, Trae Young play off the ball?
The Hawks gave Young the keys to the offense from day one. He has been one of the most ball-dominant guards in the NBA over the past three seasons:
Young has put up massive individual numbers as a result, with career averages of 24.1 points and 8.8 assists per game. But none of that has translated to team success. The Hawks were one of the worst teams in the NBA in his first two seasons, and have a 14-20 record with a net rating of minus-0.3 this season.
Theres good and bad that comes with being in total control of the offense. Its easy for Young to get into a rhythm because he always has the ball, but that also means he doesnt have anyone to set him up for easier shots when hes struggling. The most telling statistic, per Synergy Sports, is that only 8 percent of his shots this season have come in catch-and-shoot situations, compared to the 39.2 percent that he shoots off the dribble.
Its an unusual situation for such a young point guard to be in. Trae came into the league after one season of college, and was immediately one of the NBAs smallest players at 6-foot-1 and 180 pounds. He was thrown into the fire right away. There was no apprenticeship period for him to learn the NBA game and develop physically while playing a smaller role in the offense.
Thats the typical career path for players like him. In his first few seasons, Damian Lillard played a smaller role on a veteran team led by LaMarcus Aldridge. James Harden and Russell Westbrook were forced to share the ball on a superteam in Oklahoma City. Steph Curry has never dominated the ball like Young has because of Golden States unique offensive system.
Ironically enough, the one other point guard who was asked to do everything right away is Luka Doncic, whom Young will always be compared to because of their teams draft-night trade. Neither has shown much interest in playing off the ball. But its also a bit of a chicken and the egg thing. Do they not want to give up the rock because they arent comfortable doing so, or because theres no one on their team whom they trust to take it?
Young has never had much help in Atlanta. The teams offense has completely fallen apart as soon as hes come off the floor in each of his first three seasons. That was supposed to change this season following the signings of Danilo Gallinari, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Rajon Rondo, and Kris Dunn. Instead, it has been the same story as ever. The Hawks go from an offensive rating of 115.4 with Trae to 101.8 without him. Thats the difference between the no. 7 offense in the NBA and no. 30.
Youngs role is a long-term puzzle for the franchise, but the teams immediate problem has been injuries. Gallinari has played in 22 of 34 games, Rondo has played in 18, and Bogdanovic, who has been out since early January with an avulsion fracture in his left knee, has played in only nine. Dunn has not played at all while recovering from offseason ankle surgery. The most important injury was to DeAndre Hunter, who hurt his knee on January 29. Hunter had emerged as their best two-way player in his second season, and the Hawks have not been able to replace everything he provided on both ends of the floor. They are 9-9 with Hunter this season and 5-11 without him.
Atlanta could have waited to see what Pierce could do with the entire roster at his disposal, but GM Travis Schlenk felt that it was time for a change. McMillan, a longtime NBA head coach who was Pierces lead assistant after spending the last four seasons in Indiana, will walk into a nice situation. He should have more success than his former boss just because he will have a better team to work with.
There are two red flags from this season that may have pushed Atlanta to act now with Pierce. The first is their crunch time performance. The Hawks have the second-worst net rating (minus-21.1 in 63 minutes) in the clutch (the last five minutes of a game with a margin of five points or fewer). They have blown 11 fourth-quarter leads.
The second is the aftermath of a story in The Athletic about an argument in the film room between Young and John Collins. That kind of thing happens all the time in the NBA, but rarely is leaked to the media. It clearly impacted Young, who had one of the worst games of his career in a loss to Charlotte (seven points on 2-of-9 shooting and three assists) after the dispute.
The running theme through both issues is the way Trae dominates the ball. Collins, who turned down an extension for less than the max and will be a restricted free agent this offseason, was frustrated with his lack of opportunities on offense. Despite being on the receiving end of many assists from Young, he wanted the Hawks to play a more free-flowing style that allowed multiple players to control the ball. Its hard to read Traes lack of aggressiveness against the Hornets as anything but a dig at Collins, with him essentially saying, Look at what happens when Im in a smaller role on offense.
But that argument goes the other way when it comes to crunch time. Young is in charge of everything in those moments, and he has not been particularly effective. Hes shooting 38.5 percent from the field and 20 percent from 3 while handing out 13 assists and nine turnovers. Its hard to point to one reason, especially given the small sample size of only 63 minutes, but it cant help that defenses can key in on him, knowing that no one else will initiate the offense.
Young will almost certainly get better with time in the fourth quarter. He doesnt have much experience in big games at the NBA level because the Hawks were so bad in his first two seasons. Hes still five to six years away from his prime. The question for Atlanta is what its offense should look like at that point.
The Hawks already have the pieces in place to be a perennial playoff team. Their top players have been very effective together this season. Young, Collins, Hunter, and Clint Capela have a net rating of plus-12.9 in 204 minutes. Combine those four, none of whom is older than 26, with two promising wings in Cam Reddish and Kevin Huerter and Atlanta has one of the best young cores in the league.
But the game is played differently in the playoffs compared to the regular season. In the postseason, defenses will force a ball-dominant point guard to give up the ball. A one-man offense can go only so far. The Hawks are nowhere near ready for that, largely because Young isnt.
Thats why their next coach is so important. They will have to design an offense that empowers more than one player. More importantly, they will have to get Young to buy in to a more balanced system. Pierce didnt have much choice but to let his star point guard be the system in Atlanta. Until Young learns to give that up, the Hawks will always have a ceiling.
See the original post here:
The Next Hawks Coach Will Have to Solve the Trae Young Puzzle - The Ringer
- Aloof, the cutest puzzle-fighter ever, arrives on Switch later this year thanks to RedDeer.games - Gamasutra - July 21st, 2021
- Nintendo News: Shape Your Next Adventure With Three Additional Super NES Games Arriving to Nintendo Switch Online - Business Wire - July 21st, 2021
- 7 Billion Humans finally arrives on Android | Articles - Pocket Gamer - July 21st, 2021
- Do 2.7 billion gamers around the world hold the key to solving climate change? - Illinoisnewstoday.com - July 21st, 2021
- Skyward Sword HD Proves That Future Zelda Games Need Traditional Dungeons - Den of Geek - July 21st, 2021
- Five Games to Play While You Wait for Breath of the Wild 2 - The New York Times - July 21st, 2021
- ITALY. Land of Wonders lets you discover the cultural heritage of the country via puzzles, out now on iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - July 21st, 2021
- miHoYo's Tears of Themis is Releasing July 29th for Mobile and Android - Goomba Stomp - July 21st, 2021
- Heres The Lowdown On That Kick-Ass 2.5D Cyberpunk Game - Kotaku - July 21st, 2021
- Arcsmith is a Quirky VR Puzzle Game from Thomas Was Alone Studio, Coming to Quest in July - Road to VR - July 7th, 2021
- Cat Detective Mimo and the Case of the Increasingly Meta Bank Heist - Alternate Reality Gaming Network - July 7th, 2021
- Solve Puzzles and Escape a Horrifying Mansion in The Tartarus Key - The Nerd Stash - July 7th, 2021
- Imagine that quest in Oblivion where you get stuck in a painting, but it's a whole puzzle game now - Rock Paper Shotgun - July 7th, 2021
- Xbox Cloud Gaming Is The Future, But Its Not There Yet - Kotaku - July 7th, 2021
- 30 Steam Games All Less Than $25 To Amuse Yourself With - PC Perspective - July 7th, 2021
- 'The Spectrum Retreat' Free On Epic Games Store, 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead' and 'Ironcast' Next Week - WorthPlaying.com - July 7th, 2021
- PlayStation Now Games Release Tomorrow And They Look Great - Pure PlayStation - July 7th, 2021
- A Tale Of Synapse: The Chaos Theories Review Pretty But Uneven Puzzles - News Nation USA - July 7th, 2021
- We're Open: Out of the Box includes unique games, puzzles, and toys - Fox17 - June 24th, 2021
- Seriously Addictive Mobile Games That Will Help You Kill Time - YouBeauty - June 24th, 2021
- Myst VR remake confirmed for release in Q3 2021 - NME - June 24th, 2021
- I Turned to Jigsaw Puzzles When My World Fell Apart - The New York Times - June 24th, 2021
- The Brilliant Puzzler 'Baba Is You' from Hempuli Just Released on iOS and Android with over 200 Levels Included - Touch Arcade - June 24th, 2021
- The Best N64 Games of All Time - Your Money Geek - June 24th, 2021
- The best video games of 2021 so far - The Guardian - June 24th, 2021
- Every Major Upcoming Aussie Indie Game You Should Keep An Eye On - Kotaku Australia - June 24th, 2021
- 35 Indie Games That Really Want Your Attention - Kotaku - June 24th, 2021
- Ticket to Ride: Track Switcher Is a Logic Puzzle Game for Kids and Adults - SuperParent - June 8th, 2021
- PlayStation Talent reveals 21 new indie titles ahead of E3 - NME.com - June 8th, 2021
- Tetris Effect Celebrates the Puzzler's Anniversary and Origin with Awesome Secret Stage - Push Square - June 8th, 2021
- Review: Bunny Factory - Movies Games and Tech - June 8th, 2021
- Universal Studios Japan has reopened to the public - Nintendo Wire - June 8th, 2021
- Eight awesome indie PC games you shouldnt miss this June - PCGamesN - June 8th, 2021
- Guerrilla Collective 2021 Day 1: All the Games Announced and Unveiled - TechnoSports - June 8th, 2021
- Unsigned: Finding the things we've lost in ourselves in Love A Puzzle Box filled with Stories | Business News - MCV/Develop - June 8th, 2021
- Fire Tonight brings heartfelt narrative puzzling to Switch, PC in August - Nintendo Enthusiast - June 8th, 2021
- Trenga Unlimited Is Rather Limited XSX Review But Why Tho? - But Why Tho? A Geek Community - May 27th, 2021
- 14 of the best hidden gems on Xbox Game Pass - The Guardian - May 27th, 2021
- Mondoku is a colorful number puzzle game that will be released on Android and iOS in the near future. - Gaming News - BollyInside - May 27th, 2021
- All You Need to Know Before Developing an Android Game App - TechBullion - May 27th, 2021
- New games coming to Xbox Game Pass this May include Knockout City and Maneater - PinkNews - May 27th, 2021
- Digital music festival Save & Sound kicks off this weekend with sales on Steam - Gamasutra - May 27th, 2021
- How to play Android games on your PC with BlueStacks - Android Central - May 27th, 2021
- Want To Make Your Kids Gaming Session Productive? Play These Educational Games - IWMBuzz - May 27th, 2021
- Word games for kids: Enhance your kid's creativity and learning - Times of India - May 27th, 2021
- Relive Your Childhood with the Best SNES Games - Your Money Geek - May 27th, 2021
- Portal Movie Revealed to be In Active Development - EsportsTalk - May 27th, 2021
- Maneater and Knockout City are among the Xbox Game Pass games available in May - Gaming News - BollyInside - May 27th, 2021
- The Chronos Principle is a minimalist puzzle game coming this week for iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - May 15th, 2021
- Pokemon Games Never Change: For True Evolution, Play the Spin-Offs - PCMag - May 15th, 2021
- Game reviews: Resident Evil Village, New Pokemon Snap, Hood: Outlaws & Legends and Simon's Cat put to the test - Wales Online - May 15th, 2021
- NEO: The World Ends With You Hints at the Return of Another Old Friend - IGN Nordic - May 15th, 2021
- Exploring the Discourse on Wholesome Games - TechRaptor - May 15th, 2021
- What Are Some Underrated Games You Love That Nobody Talks About? - Kotaku Australia - May 15th, 2021
- New Pokemon Snap Successfully Modernizes the Classic N64 Formula - Den of Geek - May 15th, 2021
- New VR Games May 2021: All The Biggest Releases - UploadVR - May 3rd, 2021
- The Easiest Way to Boost Your Gamerscore with New Games and Xbox Game Pass Additions from April 2021 - TheXboxHub - May 3rd, 2021
- New Pokemon Snap Is Missing One Major Type of Puzzle From the Original Pokemon Snap - ComicBook.com - May 3rd, 2021
- Out of Line Hands-on Preview - Welcome to the Machine - COGconnected - May 3rd, 2021
- Solving puzzles as a spy duo in Operation: Tango is fun, but it needs to up the suspense - PC Gamer - May 3rd, 2021
- Outer Worlds DLC teased in a series of cryptic tweets - NME.com - May 3rd, 2021
- Ubisoft Switch Sale Has Deals On Everything From Assassin's Creed To Rayman - GameSpot - May 3rd, 2021
- Tweens and Teens for Mother's Day - Portsmouth Daily Times - May 3rd, 2021
- Puzzling Places to Launch on Oculus Quest Store This Fall - Road to VR - April 18th, 2021
- Eastern Illinois AD part of committee working on FCS playoff puzzle - ChicagoNow - April 18th, 2021
- Puzzle Bobble VR: Vacation Odyssey Will Arrive in May - Siliconera - April 18th, 2021
- Demonoid Allows You To Play Free Games Online on Web - Fortune India - April 18th, 2021
- 'Oxenfree II: Lost Signals' headlines a new crop of Switch indie games - Engadget - April 18th, 2021
- The Electronic Wireless Show Podcast episode 136: the best weather in games special - Rock Paper Shotgun - April 18th, 2021
- Kinda Funnys Blessing Jr. Does an Entire Episode of The Blessing Show From Within Dreams - PlayStation LifeStyle - April 18th, 2021
- 14 free apps and games for Android for a limited time | Technology Explica .co - Explica - April 18th, 2021
- 11 new Android games from the last week: The best, worst, and everything in between (3/29/21 - 4/4/21) - Android Police - April 4th, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 4th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Dungeon & Puzzles', 'Stick Fight: The Game', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - April 4th, 2021
- The Three Best and Worst Games of March 2021 - COGconnected - April 4th, 2021
- Google Play Pass now has over 800 games, apps - HT Tech - April 4th, 2021
- The Easiest Ways to Boost Your Gamerscore from the Xbox Games of March 2021 - TheXboxHub - April 4th, 2021
- Game of the Month: March 2021's Best PS5, PS4 Games - Pure PlayStation - April 4th, 2021
- This Weeks VR Game Roundup: New Archery Game, Kitchen Island VR - VR Fitness Insider - April 4th, 2021