2020 may have been chaotic for most, but these 10 peaceful, chilled-out games were fortunately there to make things more bearable.
2020 was a rough, exhausting, and often painful year. Luckily, there were lots of peaceful, chilled-out, engaging games to help everyone make it through.Toescape the pandemic, veteran gamers and novices alike took to their devices to vicariously live out newadventures.
RELATED: 10 Awesome Nintendo Games That Deserve A Switch Rerelease
Thetitles on this list are fun, quirky, relaxing, hilarious, and moving games that got humanity through lockdowns, protests, blistering summer days, and frigid winter nights. From Xbox to Switch, PlayStation, and PC, here are 10 of most peaceful games of 2020, ranked.
In Bugsnax, players traverse through the mysterious island of Snaktooth, filled with creatures called "bugsnax," so-named because they're half-bug and half-snack. Gamers must explore the island, get to know the locals, and capture the bugsnax using various contraptions and tools.
The colorful design and rounded graphics envoke memories of games like Viva Pinata and Banjo-Kazooie, and the queer inclusivity of the game has even led to a GLAAD nomination. During a time of turmoil, it feels great to get lost in paradise. Best of all, there's already talk of future gamesin the budding series.
Gorgeous graphics, relaxed gameplay, and the glory of nature; playing Pikmin feels like a journey through the garden. In this puzzle-esque game, gamers control Pikmin,little plant creatures who all have special abilities, to help find fruit and fight off bad guys.
RELATED: All Nintendo Home Consoles, Ranked Worst To Best
Pikmin 3 was originally released in 2013 for the Wii U, but, in 2020, the Deluxe version was launched for the Switch with increased gameplay modes, and all the DLC included. Pikmin 3 Deluxe is a perfect blend ofbeauty and challenge.
In 2015, Ori and the Blind Forest became a smash hit. It received universal acclaim and was nominated for numerous video games awards, winning eight. In 2020, the sequel,Ori and the Will of the Wisps, was released and became a hit of its own.
The game follows Ori, a little spirit who must findits way back home. Ori and the Will of the Wisps is wonderful, dark, and enchanting at the same time. The colors all glow right off the screen, and the entire game feels like a storybook come to life. Gamers will find a good amount of adventure and challenge, but also a fun and relaxing gameplay.
In Carto, you play as the title character, a young girl hoping to find her way back to her family. Carto has the power to create and manipulate landscapes, creating new paths to discover more of the ever-expanding world around her.
It's mainly a puzzle game, and there's no real fighting or combat to speak of. Instead, players get to enjoy the game's style, become engrossed in the unveiling story, and meet fun characters along the way. It'sa cozy, family-friendly game that's perfect for relaxing after a long day.
Ooblets was the feel-good summer game of 2020. It's part Pokmon, part Animal Crossing, part Pikmin, and part Stardew Valley. As confusing as that may sound, the game has actually been hailed by critics and players.
RELATED: Animal Crossing: 10 Islanders We'd Love To Hang Out With In Real Life
The titular Ooblets are small, planet-like creatures that bear similarities to pokmon, but, rather than fighting, they battle by holding dance-offs. The game is also loaded with gardening, exploring the town, completing tasks, and getting to know the townspeople. All in all, the game is silly, fun, and extremely chill. If anyone is in need of relaxation and a good laugh, this is the game.
Spiritfarer seemed to do the impossible; it's a wholesome, pleasant game... about death and dying. In Spiritfarer, gamers play as a ferry operatorthat must find and care for spirits, and, ultimately, help usher them into the afterlife.
The game received universal praise, and its release during a pandemic seemed highly appropriate, as it gave players a healthy and safe space to come to terms with mortality, death, and the afterlife. But, despite the grim-sounding plot, the game is extremely welcoming, fun, and happy.
For anyone missing travel, or even anyone who just wishes they could get up and fly away from the stress of the day, Microsoft's famous Flight Simulator series is the perfect solution. In the game, players can operate everything from a tiny propeller plane, all the way to a massive Boeing 747.
RELATED: 10 Best Movies That Take Place On An Airplane
The graphics are stunning, and gamers have a wide range of airports and cities to fly to and from. Highlights include soaring over mountains, descending into the glow of Los Angeles at night, and circling around Manhattan.
This much-hailed indie hit was a finalist at the 2020 Independent Games Festival and has already created quite the reputation for its developer, Turnfollow. The game centers around a simple weekend getaway. Many have compared it to an interactive movie or novelsince gamres are mostly along for the ride, enjoying activities like swimming, sitting by the campfire, and roasting hot dogs.
The real joy of the game comes from the storyline. Through the camping trip, the family learns new things about each other, meets some interesting fellow vacationers, and has a weekend they'll never forget.
In 2007, a new, very odd game was released. it was called Endless Ocean, and, in general, it didn't have much of a plot. Instead, the main purpose of the game was to simply enjoy the beauty of our oceans. The game became a hit, spawning a sequel, as well many other ocean adventure games like Abzu, and 2020's Beyond Blue.
RELATED: The Best (& 5 Worst) Shark Movies Of All Time
Beyond Blue is both educational and relaxing.The plot centers around a diver who explores the oceans, discovering and learning about various marine species. The game was made in partnership with BBC, the makers of Blue Planet, as well as scientists and oceanographers, to create a beautiful, informative, and relaxing gaming experience.
By now, everyone knows of the new Animal Crossing game. It provided the world an escape from the pandemic, and even celebrities and politicians like Brie Larson, Elijah Wood, and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez got in on the fun. In the game, you build your own island, interact with new friends, and meet some very interesting villagers. The game is a mix of simulator and RPG, and there's no fighting or danger, making it a perfectly calm and relaxing escape from the stresses of daily life.
NEXT: 10 Awesome Nintendo Games That Deserve A Switch Rerelease
Next 10 Most Hilarious Canadian Comedy Series, Ranked
Keith Langston is a writer for ScreenRant, as well as Travel Channel and Passport Magazine. He holds a deep passion for film, travel, and adventure. He fully believes that 'The Faculty' is the greatest movie ever made.
See original here:
The Most Peaceful Games of 2020, Ranked | ScreenRant - Screen Rant
- 11 new Android games from the last week: The best, worst, and everything in between (3/29/21 - 4/4/21) - Android Police - April 4th, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 4th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Dungeon & Puzzles', 'Stick Fight: The Game', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - April 4th, 2021
- The Three Best and Worst Games of March 2021 - COGconnected - April 4th, 2021
- Google Play Pass now has over 800 games, apps - HT Tech - April 4th, 2021
- The Easiest Ways to Boost Your Gamerscore from the Xbox Games of March 2021 - TheXboxHub - April 4th, 2021
- Game of the Month: March 2021's Best PS5, PS4 Games - Pure PlayStation - April 4th, 2021
- This Weeks VR Game Roundup: New Archery Game, Kitchen Island VR - VR Fitness Insider - April 4th, 2021
- Best New Android Games This Week: The Wake, Quick Fire, Dual Summoners, and More - DroidGamers - April 4th, 2021
- It Takes Two review: This is how it runs on PC - Laptop Mag - April 4th, 2021
- Pillars of Active Aging - Old School Puzzles And Games To Promote Active Aging Brain Health - LNP | LancasterOnline - March 4th, 2021
- Tvinnr: Basic tips to help you enjoy this relaxing puzzle game - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- Maquette is a neat puzzle game that packs an emotional punch - The Next Web - March 4th, 2021
- Our most anticipated indie games of 2021 - Rock Paper Shotgun - March 4th, 2021
- MonkeyBox 2: Cards! is an upcoming puzzle adventure game for iOS from TheCodingMonkeys - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- Play with Gravity in Gravifire on Xbox and Switch - TheXboxHub - March 4th, 2021
- Lovin Games Weekly - There is a new Aliens game on the way - Lovin Dublin - March 4th, 2021
- It Takes Two Isn't Focusing on Replayability, Won't Have Collectibles - GameRant - March 4th, 2021
- The Video Games to Play This Month: Get Tiny with Maquette, It Takes Two, and More! - The Portland Mercury - March 4th, 2021
- 50% Kemco RPG and Puzzle Games on PS Store - GLYFE Nation - March 4th, 2021
- Worst Pokmon Spin-off Games Nintendo Should Never Remake - Screen Rant - March 4th, 2021
- Super Rare Games giving immersive puzzle game Creaks a physical Switch release next week - GoNintendo - March 4th, 2021
- Every Uncharted Game, Ranked Worst To Best | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - March 4th, 2021
- 10 Games We Need To See On PSVR2 That Could Actually Happen On PS5 - TheGamer - March 4th, 2021
- PC Review - 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead' - WorthPlaying.com - March 4th, 2021
- The Next Hawks Coach Will Have to Solve the Trae Young Puzzle - The Ringer - March 4th, 2021
- Sponsored: 5 games that make you think like a programmer - Gamasutra - March 4th, 2021
- Inked review - "If only looks were everything" | Articles - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- From Portal to Witcher 3: The games people cheat at the most! - European Gaming Industry News - March 4th, 2021
- 5 Best PC Boxing games to play in 2021 - Gameranx - March 4th, 2021
- What Are the Most Popular Types of Mobile Game? | TechQuila - TechQuila - February 19th, 2021
- The Legend of Zelda games ranked! - The Guardian - February 19th, 2021
- Wordsmyth is a beautiful daily word game coming soon to iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - February 19th, 2021
- Review: She Remembered Caterpillars - Movies Games and Tech - February 19th, 2021
- Artie raises $10 million as it pivots to make instant games - VentureBeat - February 19th, 2021
- Fortnite Creative gets callout for puzzles and platformers - AltChar - February 19th, 2021
- Top 10 games to download and play first on your new Apple iPhone - Gadget Bridge - February 19th, 2021
- Outer Wilds launches this summer on Nintendo Switch - Shacknews - February 19th, 2021
- Steam Developer Banned After Trying to Trick Users About Positive Reviews - VICE - February 19th, 2021
- Global Games and Puzzles Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Key Drivers, Business Strategy, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 Express Keeper - Express... - February 19th, 2021
- Next 10 Classic Horror Games To Play If You Liked The Medium - TheGamer - February 17th, 2021
- Game stores seeing an increase in new customers since the COVID-19 pandemic - WeAreGreenBay.com - February 17th, 2021
- The First 10 Games Released On The PS2 (In Chronological Order) - TheGamer - February 17th, 2021
- Zynga Expects Its Mobile Gaming Empire to Grow More Than 30% In 2021 - Motley Fool - February 17th, 2021
- 8 Underrated Open-World Games (That Came Out In The Last 5 Years) - GameRant - February 17th, 2021
- The Room 4: Old Sins Is Out For PC, And Prettier Than Ever - Kotaku - February 17th, 2021
- Knight's Retreat Review - Chess but not! - TheXboxHub - February 17th, 2021
- Soapbox: We Were Here, the Free PS4 Game No One Will Play with Me - Push Square - February 17th, 2021
- PS5 : HuniePop 2, another title that joins Twitch's list of banned games - Explica - February 17th, 2021
- 10 VR Games That Don't Give You Motion Sickness - TheGamer - February 17th, 2021
- 10 Things You Never Knew About The Origins Of Tetris | Game Rant - GameRant - February 17th, 2021
- Games of the week: The Medium, Spire Blast, Encodya and Solas 128 - Inverness Courier - February 17th, 2021
- Nokia 5.4 review this ones for the stock Android fans on a tight budget - Business Insider India - February 17th, 2021
- Thorny Puzzle Title Room To Grow Is Coming To PC This Month - Bleeding Cool News - February 14th, 2021
- Imaginative Puzzle Game QV Heading To Steam | TheGamer - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- 10 Open World Games That Have No Combat | Game Rant - GameRant - February 14th, 2021
- Schell Games Talks I Expect You To Die 2 And VR's Future - UploadVR - February 14th, 2021
- ConnecTank Is a Multiplayer Tank Battle and Puzzle Game Coming This Fall - SuperParent - February 14th, 2021
- Best Valentines Day games for couples: top titles to play with your loved one - TechRadar - February 14th, 2021
- Outer Wilds And The Best Games That Use Time Loops - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- Best new mobile games on iOS and Android this February - Metro.co.uk - February 14th, 2021
- PS4 Update: Download This New F2P PlayStation 4 Game - RealSport101 - February 14th, 2021
- The Best Free PC Games of Multiple Category in 2021 - TechnoSports - February 14th, 2021
- The DeanBeat: Has the game industry hit its peak with crazy valuations or just begun its growth? - VentureBeat - February 14th, 2021
- Video game review: 'The Medium' a messy horror game with inventive puzzles - telegraphherald.com - February 14th, 2021
- TouchArcade Game of the Week: 'Knightin'+' - Touch Arcade - February 14th, 2021
- Numskull Games Offers Sneak Peek At Upcoming Titles, Reveals RICO London - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- Recursive Puzzle Game, Maquette, to be Released in March - mxdwn.com - February 11th, 2021
- Tackle thorny problems in 'Room to Grow' a plant pushing puzzle game launching on Steam for PC & Mac 25th February 2021! - Gamasutra - February 11th, 2021
- PS5 and PS4 free game bonus: Grab a friend and download co-op puzzler for free - Express - February 11th, 2021
- Somethings Fishy About This Steam Games Very Positive Reviews - Kotaku - February 11th, 2021
- Human Fall Flat Was Originally Designed To Be Portal Meets Limbo - TheGamer - February 11th, 2021
- Tilting Point will invest up to $60 million in user acquisition for Loop Games Match 3D game - VentureBeat - February 11th, 2021
- Every App And VR Game Coming To Oculus App Lab For Quest - UploadVR - February 11th, 2021
- Nuts Review- Hiding Above the Trees, Looking For Squirrels - DualShockers - February 11th, 2021
- A bit about our currently nameless game company, and what we're working on at the moment - Gamasutra - February 11th, 2021
- 'Breath Of The Wild' Reinvented Zelda Games. 'Bowser's Fury' Does That For Mario - Mashable India - February 11th, 2021
- Slipways was the best demo in the Steam Games Festival, but it's gone now - Rock Paper Shotgun - February 9th, 2021
- Move Over, Mother 3 - THESE Nintendo Games Should Be Localized Too - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 9th, 2021
- Solve puzzles in a recursive world where everything is simultaneously tiny and massive - PC Gamer - February 9th, 2021