The Independent Gamer is a curated roundup of news from indie gaming, landing here every other Friday.
It might seem difficult to top the month of August, which had the Game Developer's Conference, Playcrafting's Play NYC event and Gamescom in addition to the Indie World showcase and a slew of indie releases. Yet, September welcomes PAX Online (the digital iteration of annual video game conference PAX West), which runs from Sept. 12-20 and includes the Indie Showcase.
From developers around the world, 20 games(of 350 titles perused on Steam) will be highlighted in genres including metroidvania, dating sim, action-adventure, horror, RPG, sports brawler, beat-em-up, dungeon crawler, puzzle and more.
Until then, let's get into some games that can be experienced now.
Build a Magnificent Ship and Care for Your Friends in Spiritfarer
As briefly noted in the last Indie Gamer column (when it appeared in the Indie Showcase),Spiritfareris described by its Canadian developer, Thunder Lotus Games, as "a cozy management game about dying." Creative director Nicolas Gurin is here to explain how that heavy andheady description came to be paired with a relaxing and aesthetically pleasing video game about a ferrymaster who builds a seafaring ship and becomes a guardian-type figure for a group of spirits.
Gurin joined Thunder Lotus in 2017 after working at Ubisoft on the Assassin's Creed franchise for many years. Initially, Gurin says the pitch for Spiritfarer related to the ferryman of the dead in Greek mythology and Studio Ghibli's 1988 animated fantasy film My Neighbor Totoro.As the story took shape, it became about a character having to find a group of spirits to nurture. "Care was a central theme pretty soon in the game," Gurin tells The Hollywood Reporter.
"We wanted to talk about a difficult subject matter in a much more comforting way," he adds, explaining that death is so common, yet so naturally considered in many games that include more jarring representations of one's life ending, such as a man being stabbed, even though he has a family or is guarding something that other characters want.
At the beginning of the project, Gurin spent time in end of life care facilities his brother in France is head of a geriatric ward in a hospital for research, while tapping into the emotions felt after his own grandmother passed away in 2018 at age 97. "All these things converged for me to create that database of stories and feelings," says Gurin, who thought about how people consider their own demise or how they react to the passing of others.
While the characters were narrative archetypes at first, they morphed into being real people with real anecdotes as the development progressed. "We wanted to put a bit of ourselves in the game, and many of the characters are inspired by team members relatives who passed away, or friends," continues Gurin. He goes on to say that there is a lot of humor and fun to be had. "The game is actually sad only in very specific moments where we have to let someone go."
As far as Gurin's own game tastes, he easily moves between praising Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto as a title that has a point, that says something and makes a statement as a parody of Western civilization, to the first game from Thunder Lotus, Jotun, a 2D hand-drawn game told in Old Norse.
"To me I always felt that games had to strive to do something different and to mean something, and to matter."
Spiritfarer is available on Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Steam and PS4.
Metroidvania Platformer Sheepo Lands on Steam
Sheepo developer Kyle Thompson explains to THR that the idea for his game, an exploratory, shape-shifting platformer billed as a "pacifist metroidvania," came about after he watched The Thing. "It's obviously a very different form of shape-shifting, it's a lot less wholesome, but I was trying to think of a way to incorporate it," says the developer, who began creating games during childhood.
He adds that he decided upon a strange planet, where creatures would be found and transformed. The game is non-linear, with the basic idea being to find the boss characters the king or queen of the species and then grab their egg to begin a process of shape-shifting, meeting unusual characters along the way.
To create the game, Thompson did all the programming, art and design, while his brother Eric Thompson composed the music.Among the inspirations, Thompson drew upon the fluid movement of 2013'sRayman Legends, also calling uponOri and the Blind Forest andAxiom Verge.
Sheepo is currently available on Steam for PC and takes about four hours to complete the main story.
Among other releases...
Australian developer 5 Lives Studios and German-Austrian publisher Deep Silver released survival adventure gameWindbound, a game that shipwrecks players on an unchartered island and tasks them with adapting to the land in order to stay alive.
Toronto-based studio Reptoid Games (known for Fossil Hunters) unveiled the narrative puzzle game Fire Tonight, which is set in 1990 and follows a couple who set out to locate each other in a burning city. The game, which will be playable as part of PAX Online 2020 and Tokyo Game Show 2020, releases on Nintendo Switch and Steam in the first quarter of 2021.
- Supraland Review GameSpew - GameSpew - October 23rd, 2020
- RetroBeat: 5 other games Nintendo needs to finally bring to the U.S. - VentureBeat - October 23rd, 2020
- Gen Z mobile users more likely to play games, but spend less time in top titles - Pocket Gamer.Biz - October 23rd, 2020
- Embrace the parkour madness of BH Trials on Xbox One - TheXboxHub - October 23rd, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Fire Emblem' Headed West, 'Pokemon Sword/Shield: The Crown Tundra' and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - October 23rd, 2020
- Train your fingers and become Lord of the Click on Xbox One - TheXboxHub - October 23rd, 2020
- Dodging Death In Disc Room Is A Lot Of Fun - Kotaku - October 23rd, 2020
- PUYO PUYO TETRIS 2 To Introduce RPG Elements With The Brand-New "Skill Battle" Mode - GameFragger.com - October 23rd, 2020
- The best games on Xbox Game Pass for console and PC right now (October 2020) - For The Win - October 22nd, 2020
- RPG? Puzzle? Parlor Game? Escape Room? This Game Is All Four and More - Publishers Weekly - October 22nd, 2020
- Puzzle Break Long Island is Back, With More Fun and Safety than Ever Before! - LongIsland.com - October 22nd, 2020
- Forget Games with Gold, this Xbox Game Pass addition is the big news for October - Express - October 22nd, 2020
- Ban for annoying puzzle ads which don't represent the actual game - Wales Online - October 22nd, 2020
- Why people are still obsessed with candy crush saga - Livemint - October 22nd, 2020
- The 25 Best Horror Games To Play On Halloween 2020 - GameSpot - October 22nd, 2020
- Blaseball developer is bringing a 'slice of life' puzzle game to PC next year - PC Gamer - October 20th, 2020
- Best upcoming Xbox Series X games you'll need to play - CNET - October 20th, 2020
- McAdam: Salary arbitration a bigger puzzle this offseason - bostonsportsjournal.com - October 20th, 2020
- TAFFY: FEED THE KITTY, App Game Based on the Cartoon TAFFY, is Now Available - Broadway World - October 20th, 2020
- Forget Games with Gold, this Xbox Game Pass addition is the big news for October - True Hollywood Talk - October 20th, 2020
- 5 games that sparked the 'casual' player movement - The Star - October 20th, 2020
- Genshin Impact Amber Puzzle: Win cool Prizes, use this simple guide to click Amber photos! Only a week... - The Sportsrush - October 20th, 2020
- 10 Most Innovative Indie Platformers | Game Rant - GameRant - October 20th, 2020
- What the critics are saying about Amnesia: Rebirth - SVG - October 20th, 2020
- Chiefs kept on the ground, but run past Bills anyway - Arkansas Online - October 20th, 2020
- 10 Games That Are Educational And Fun | TheGamer - TheGamer - October 18th, 2020
- Sony Refuses To Discount PS4 Version Of Return Of the Obra Dinn - Screen Rant - October 18th, 2020
- Apex Legends, Jiu Jitsu, Monster Hunter & Other Trailers Released This Week - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 18th, 2020
- Ban for annoying puzzle ads which don't represent the actual game - Bristol Live - October 18th, 2020
- Cube Escape dodges the end of the Flash era with a new collection on Steam - PC Gamer - October 18th, 2020
- TouchArcade Game of the Week: 'Poor Thief' TouchArcade - Touch Arcade - October 17th, 2020
- Boundary-breaking in video games is unholy and wrong - The A.V. Club - October 17th, 2020
- 5 great horror games for 2020: Where to get that Halloween horror fix - Sportskeeda - October 17th, 2020
- Ban for annoying puzzle ads which don't represent the actual game - MyLondon - October 17th, 2020
- PS4 New Releases - New PS4 Games Releasing This Week (October 19 - October 25) - PlayStation Universe - October 17th, 2020
- Review: Whats Inside the Box? A Rewarding (Rewording) Time - The New York Times - October 15th, 2020
- Best Android and iOS games of the week [15/10/2020] re:Jerusalem - re:Jerusalem - October 15th, 2020
- 8 Tips for Improving Reaction Time in Video Games - VGR.com - October 15th, 2020
- I Am Rubber, You Are Glue! Celebrating 30 Years Of Monkey Island - TheGamer - October 15th, 2020
- Playrix's ads banned in UK as misleading - Game World Observer - October 15th, 2020
- The Kansas City Chiefs May Have Just Identified the Missing Piece to Their Super Bowl Puzzle - Sportscasting - October 15th, 2020
- Before the 'Amnesia': Looking Back on Frictional Games' 'Penumbra' Series - Bloody Disgusting - October 15th, 2020
- Raji: An Ancient Epic arrives on Steam today, a tale about Indian mythology - PC Invasion - October 15th, 2020
- Have You Heard Of The Internets Hardest Puzzle And Biggest Mystery? Check Out Cicada 3301 - Scary Mommy - October 13th, 2020
- Galacide Takes the Speed and Intensity of a SHMUP and Adds in a Dash of Match Puzzling for a Thrilling Alien Adventure Coming to Consoles October 23... - October 13th, 2020
- Stay off the web with these games - The New Indian Express - October 13th, 2020
- Renegade and EC Comics Team Up to Bring Classic Comic Covers to the World of Puzzles - GeekTyrant - October 13th, 2020
- Treat Yourself This Spooky Season with These 5 Indie Games - Nerdist - October 13th, 2020
- Hakim Ziyech is the final piece of the Chelsea jigsaw puzzle - The Pride of London - October 13th, 2020
- 10 Best 2D Games On Steam (According To Metacritic) - TheGamer - October 13th, 2020
- The Most Fun Virtual Murder Mystery Parties You Can Host This Halloween - Oprah Mag - October 13th, 2020
- Reflection of Mine IS A Difficult Puzzle Game Headed For Xbox One, PS5, And Nintendo Switch - Happy Gamer - October 10th, 2020
- Every Pokemon Game On The 3DS, Ranked (According To Metacritic) - GameRant - October 10th, 2020
- Explore Ancient Greece in This Weeks Good-Ass Games at Good-Ass Prices - The Root - October 10th, 2020
- Sony Reveals 10 PS4 Games That Won't Work on PS5 | Game Rant - GameRant - October 10th, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Filament', 'I Am Dead', 'Game Dev Tycoon', and Today's Other New Releases, Plus the Latest Sales - Touch Arcade - October 8th, 2020
- 10 Super Mario Spin-Offs That Are Nothing Like The Main Games - TheGamer - October 8th, 2020
- From Game Boy to 3DS: The legacy of Nintendo's handhelds - GamesIndustry.biz - October 8th, 2020
- 10 PC Games to Check Out This October - Power Up Gaming - October 8th, 2020
- The Epic Games Store free games of the week are Abzu & Rising Storm 2 - PC Invasion - October 8th, 2020
- Pokemon: A Step-By-Step Guide To Soft Resetting | TheGamer - TheGamer - October 8th, 2020
- Ghost of a Tale, Neighbours Back From Hell, The Survivalists, FIFA 21, and Ikenfell hit the Switch - Games Asylum - October 8th, 2020
- 10 Great Multitasking Games Similar To Overcooked | Game Rant - GameRant - October 8th, 2020
- 'Rain City' is the perfect puzzle game to spend a few hours on | Clocked - Happy Mag - October 7th, 2020
- Lesson of the Day: 35 Thoughts About Mario on Super Marios 35th Anniversary - The New York Times - October 7th, 2020
- Best-selling book Prisoners of Geography eyes board games, strategy games, quizzes and puzzles in edutainment licensing move - Toy News - October 7th, 2020
- 2D Games vs. 3D Games: What Are the Differences? | MakeUseOf - MakeUseOf - October 7th, 2020
- 'QB Planets' Takes Players to a World of Beautiful Cube Puzzles - Indie Games Plus - October 7th, 2020
- Swords of Gargantua Creators Thirdverse Secures $8.5M Funding for More VR Games - Road to VR - October 7th, 2020
- Steam's Autumn Game Festival Is On Now With Tons Of Free Demos - TheGamer - October 7th, 2020
- Southgate's England puzzle: lots of new pieces but no clear pattern - The Guardian - October 7th, 2020
- After Almost A Year Of Epic Exclusivity, Mind-Bending Puzzler Superliminal Is Coming To Steam - TheGamer - October 6th, 2020
- Vegas Golden Knights: Pietrangelo is the final piece to the Stanley Cup puzzle - Vegas Hockey Knight - October 6th, 2020
- Create Your Own Games With This Discounted Training Bundle - PCMag.com - October 6th, 2020
- Surrealist Puzzle-Platformer 'DARQ' Headed to Current And Next-Gen Consoles - Bloody Disgusting - October 6th, 2020
- Holiday 2020 Gift Guide - Great PS4 Games & Accessories To Buy This Holiday Season - PlayStation Universe - October 4th, 2020
- Why be bored? A new board-game bar opens in downtown Canton - Canton Repository - October 4th, 2020
- Pikuniku is free on the Epic Games Store - KitGuru - October 3rd, 2020
- Pikuniku, the adorable game of dystopia and revolution, is free on the Epic Store - PC Gamer - October 3rd, 2020
- Family Game Night Is Back On In 2020 With Help From Geppetto's Toys - Coronado Eagle and Journal - October 3rd, 2020