TAMPA Ndamukong Suh is not a very good pass rusher anymore. He had about as many sacks as he did touchdowns last season. Hes not even the best defensive tackle on his own team. Vita Vea is.
But together, Suh (307 pounds) and Vea (346 pounds) are two immovable mountains of men who clog up the middle of the defense so linebackers Shaquil Barrett (19.5 sacks) and Jason Pierre-Paul (8.5 sacks) can wreak havoc on quarterbacks with no avenue of escape.
What Suh represents is a vital piece the last one among the Bucs front seven who were free agents that the team needed to re-sign in order to keep everyone together for 2020.
We wanted the entire defense, if we could, to stay together; they played so well together, Bucs coach Bruce Arians said on a conference call Wednesday. That was a piece of the puzzle, they knew each other. Suh was a big, big part of it, obviously. Not as much in the sack game as much as his interior pressure and the great job he did last year against the run. I mean, we were No. 1 against the run in the league last year and a lot of it was because of him and Vita.
Suh, 33, agreed to a one-year, $8 million contract to return to the Bucs in 2020. He earned $9.25 million last season while playing in 77 percent of the defensive snaps.
He had drawn interest from at least the 49ers, who traded DeForest Buckner to the Colts for a first-round pick. But when that fizzled, Suh agreed to remain in Tampa Bay.
Nobody ran on the Bucs last season. They allowed only 73.8 yards rushing per game. In the final three games, including one against the playoff-bound Houston Texans, they allowed only 67.3.
When you consider the roll call of running backs the Bucs faced last season the Panthers Christian McCaffrey, the Saints Alvin Kamara, the Rams Todd Gurley, the Giants Saquon Barkley and the Titans Travis Henry its even more impressive. None of those elite ballcarriers rushed for 100 yards against the Bucs.
Only three of Tampa Bays 16 opponents in 2019 rushed for more than 100 yards as a team. The Seahawks Chris Carson, who rushed for 105 yards in a Week 9 loss at Seattle, is the only running back to reach the century rushing mark against the Bucs last season.
The No. 1 goal for me coming out of last season is to continue to build on defense and the only way to build is to keep everybody in place and grow," Arians said. Its huge.. ... We did some really nice things last year and we got better and better, especially the last six weeks of the season. I really liked the way we played against Houston, which was a playoff-caliber team and I thought our defense played more than well enough to win that game."
Of course, turnovers were the problem and the Bucs believe they have addressed that, replacing Jameis Winston with Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.
What the Bucs wanted from Suh he delivered. Vea, who battled through injuries as a rookie, still has only begun to tap his potential. Hes so strong with balance and speed that its impossible to block him with one player.
But he didnt have enough of a mean streak, and the Bucs were hoping Suh would help draw that out of him without crossing the line.
Like Suh, Vea had two-and-a-half sacks while hauling in a touchdown pass from Winston. Suh had nearly as many touchdowns (two) as he had sacks (2.5). He played in 16 games with 41 tackles, seven tackles for loss, 14 quarterback hits and 2.5 sacks. He returned fumbles for touchdowns at Los Angeles and Atlanta.
The Bucs used the franchise tag on Barrett, who led the NFL in sacks with 19.5. Then they signed Pierre-Paul to a two-year, $25 million deal. Pierre-Paul had 8.5 sacks in 10 games after missing the first part of the season with a cervical fracture in his neck.
Arians is known for his expertise on the other side of the ball. But no matter who is under center, it wouldnt mean much if they couldnt stop anyone on defense.
Right now, weve got just about the whole defense back and we changed quarterbacks," Arians said. I think we gained the best quarterback to ever play the game. I think it sends a good message.
The front seven has been preserved. Suh, Vea and William Gholston are back as the starting three defensive linemen. Barrett, Pierre-Paul, Lavonte David and Devin White are locked up at linebacker. The Bucs lost linebacker Carl Nassib to the Raiders and defensive tackle Beau Allen to the Patriots in free agency, but that was about it on defense.
After signing Suh, the Bucs have about $14 million in salary cap space. Some of that has to go to signing a draft class and injured reserve. Arians said the only things left to add in free agency would possibly be a pass-catching running back and depth in the secondary, especially safety.
I dont think talent will be an issue whether we make the Super Bowl or not," Arians said. Theres some luck that comes with that, staying healthy and some other things. But talent wont be an issue to keep us out of the playoffs, no."
Read more here:
The Bucs keep the band together on defense - Tampa Bay Times
- Lab Rat dev skeptical of multiplatform launches and the virtues of virtual events - GamesIndustry.biz - September 18th, 2020
- The original Myst is coming to VR - The Verge - September 18th, 2020
- The top 10 games of the generation - Eurogamer.net - September 18th, 2020
- Epic Games: Three New Free to Play games revealed on Epic Games... - The Sportsrush - September 18th, 2020
- Successful Leamington gaming company is making a new game combining sudoku and Tetris in adventure mode - Kenilworth Weekly News - September 18th, 2020
- GAMES OF THE WEEK - The 5 best new mobile games for iOS and Android - September 17th 2020 - Pocket Gamer - September 18th, 2020
- Can You Break A Very Expensive Centrifuge? - FiveThirtyEight - September 18th, 2020
- All the Australian Indie Games Featured At PAX Online - Kotaku Australia - September 18th, 2020
- ARY AND THE SECRET OF SEASONS Review: An Adventure Of Puzzles And Problems - GameTyrant - September 16th, 2020
- Cubism Review: A VR Puzzle Game With All The Right Pieces - UploadVR - September 16th, 2020
- Game plan: the complete beginners' guide to gaming from buying a console to exploring new worlds - The Guardian - September 16th, 2020
- 10 Awesome Gundam Games You Never New Existed | TheGamer - TheGamer - September 16th, 2020
- Run Away With Me: The Pop Escapism Of 'Sayonara Wild Hearts' - NPR - September 14th, 2020
- How In-Game Photography Revitalizes and Enhances Gameplay - The Escapist - September 14th, 2020
- These are the latest Apple Arcade games for iPhone and more - Up News Info - September 14th, 2020
- 10 US Mobile Games That Are Coming In 2020 - South Florida Reporter - September 14th, 2020
- Cloud Gardens is a quietly beautiful vision of the post-apocalypse - PC Gamer - September 14th, 2020
- Gestalt: Steam and Cinder and Disjuntion Demos Available on PC; Coming Later to PS4 - Pure PlayStation - September 14th, 2020
- Roki To Be Released On Nintendo Switch This Fall | TheGamer - TheGamer - September 14th, 2020
- The 10 best games to play with Steams Remote Play Together - Gamepur - September 14th, 2020
- Genesis Noir and the hidden magic of games that feel like toys - Eurogamer.net - September 12th, 2020
- Immortals Fenyx Rising is a very Ubisoft take on Zelda: Breath of the Wild - PC Gamer - September 12th, 2020
- The Haunting of Bly Manor: 3 Tabletop Games to Make the Wait Less Horrifying - CBR - Comic Book Resources - September 12th, 2020
- Doom & Doom II for Android review: Glorious retro shooter action on the go - Android Central - September 12th, 2020
- Immortals Fenyx Rising is a messy mash-up of the best Nintendo and Ubisoft games this generation - Eurogamer.net - September 11th, 2020
- Math and philosophy have finally proven Kirby's evil - The A.V. Club - September 11th, 2020
- Annapurna Interactive launches stunning PS4 mega bundle to celebrate its 5th year Eurogamer.net - Aviation Analysis Wing - September 11th, 2020
- 3 reasons you need to be using a VPN like Surfshark on your Android phone (Sponsored) - Best gaming pro - September 11th, 2020
- Global Arcade Games Machine Market Study with COVID-19 Impact 2020 | HBANDAI NAMCO Holdings Inc., Taito Corporation (Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd.),... - September 11th, 2020
- Weave through puzzles in spider platformer Webbed next year - Rock Paper Shotgun - September 11th, 2020
- The First Trailer for Puzzle Game 'Unpacking' Has Been Released And It's Very Satisfying - PVP Live - September 10th, 2020
- Why THIS Mario Game Never Released In The U.S. | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - September 10th, 2020
- 5 Discontinued Platformer Games That Almost Changed The Genre (& 5 That Are In Development) - GameRant - September 10th, 2020
- Watch Pro Photographers Try to Shoot with a $22 Bunny Camera - PetaPixel - September 10th, 2020
- MO: Astray Review - Superb Sci-Fi Horror with Puzzles and Slimes - Screen Rant - September 10th, 2020
- 15 N64 games that deserve sequels on the Nintendo Switch - GamesRadar+ - September 8th, 2020
- Can Microsoft's xCloud Take Games Streaming To The Next Level? - B&T - September 8th, 2020
- Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Tales Place Before Breath of the Wild - Siliconera - September 8th, 2020
- Tablet for Kids,7 Kids Tablet Android 1GB +16 GB Kids Edition Tablet,Dual Cameras IPS Eye Protection,Pre Installed Learning Apps,Games with Kids-Proof... - September 7th, 2020
- Fight Club: Limbo Vs. Little Nightmares - Which Is The Scarier Game - TheGamer - September 6th, 2020
- Puzzle Adventure With Willy Morgan and the Curse of Bone Town - GameIndustry.com - September 6th, 2020
- Could You Repeat That Number? - The New York Times - September 6th, 2020
- Games and Puzzles Market 2020, Global Industry Size, Share, Analysis, Trends, Overview and Segmentation 2025 - The Research Process - September 6th, 2020
- Into The Breach Is Still Available On The Epic Games Store For Free - Happy Gamer - September 6th, 2020
- There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension review a dizzying torrent of ideas - The Guardian - September 6th, 2020
- Puzzler Cubism Is Coming To PC VR And Quest In September - UploadVR - September 6th, 2020
- Top 25 best puzzle games on iPhone and iPad - Pocket Gamer - September 6th, 2020
- Have you tried... solving puzzles with stinky fruit, treadmills, and pigs in The Last Campfire? - GamesRadar+ - September 4th, 2020
- The Independent Gamer: Deep Dive into 'Spiritfarer,' 'Sheepo' Drops on Steam - Hollywood Reporter - September 4th, 2020
- 4 Norse Mythology Games To Play Before Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Screen Rant - September 4th, 2020
- Rangers Defensive Core: A puzzle worth solving during the final month of the season - Dallas Sports Fanatic - September 4th, 2020
- A Name That Rings a Bell - The New York Times - September 4th, 2020
- Why Among Us Became One of the Biggest Games on Twitch Two Years After Release - Paste Magazine - September 4th, 2020
- Hands-on: Eye of the Temple is a Clever Room-scale Puzzler That Lets You Become Indiana Jones - Road to VR - September 4th, 2020
- Play Cyber Protocol and win 1000 dollars. RedDeerGames will pay for high score like in the old days - Gamasutra - September 4th, 2020
- New Kickstarter campaign launches the happiest puzzle in the world - Press Release - Digital Journal - September 4th, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Secret Files 3', 'Under the Jolly Roger', 'Niche', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - September 4th, 2020
- Carrion game/level designer Krzysztof Chomicki on managing amorphousness, gravity and screams - Game World Observer - September 4th, 2020
- STEP INTO THE SURREAL WORLD OF HOLOVISTA AHEAD OF THE GAME'S LAUNCH THIS SEPTEMBER - GamingLyfe Network - September 4th, 2020
- The Last Campfire review - puzzles abound in an elegant story of hope - Eurogamer.net - September 3rd, 2020
- Evergate Review Ever Great - GameSpot - September 3rd, 2020
- Narrative Puzzler Fire Tonight is Headed to Steam and Switch in 2021 - GameSpew - September 3rd, 2020
- The Next Walking Dead Game Is a Crossover With... Bridge Constructor? - CBR - Comic Book Resources - September 3rd, 2020
- PlayStation Now: Everything Arriving in September 2020 | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - September 3rd, 2020
- Games Applications Hit Almost 1m on Apple App Store With 21% Share - Investors King Ltd - September 3rd, 2020
- New Comprehensive Report on Jigsaw Puzzle Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth during 2020 2025 with Top Players Like Tenyo, Toy Town, Cobble... - September 3rd, 2020
- 5 Discontinued Action Games That Almost Changed The Genre (& 5 That Are In Development) - GameRant - September 3rd, 2020
- Ever Forward Review | Review - The Digital Fix - September 1st, 2020
- 10 Best Platformers On The Super Nintendo (That Aren't Mario) - Game Rant - September 1st, 2020
- Q&A: Jennifer Lynn Barnes, Author of 'The Inheritance Games' - The Nerd Daily - September 1st, 2020
- How Similar Are Moon And Undertale? | TheGamer - TheGamer - September 1st, 2020
- Figment: Creed Valley is Coming to PC and Consoles in 2021 - GameSpew - September 1st, 2020
- PlayStation Now Adds Resident Evil 7, Final Fantasy XV, and More in September - Twinfinite - September 1st, 2020
- Made in India toy brands that are on top of their game - Cond Nast Traveller India - August 31st, 2020
- Eternal Hope Review A Bittersweet and Atmospheric Journey - Fiction Talk - August 31st, 2020
- 14 new Android games from the week of August 24, 2020 - Android Police - August 31st, 2020
- All Aflutter - The New York Times - August 30th, 2020
- RELICTA Review: Gravity Is Just Part Of The Puzzle - GameTyrant - August 30th, 2020
- Top Best Alternatives for Tetris Friends You would love to play - POP TIMES UK - August 30th, 2020
- Why Is Alibaba Expanding Its Online Gaming Business? - The Motley Fool - August 30th, 2020