TAMPA Ndamukong Suh is not a very good pass rusher anymore. He had about as many sacks as he did touchdowns last season. Hes not even the best defensive tackle on his own team. Vita Vea is.
But together, Suh (307 pounds) and Vea (346 pounds) are two immovable mountains of men who clog up the middle of the defense so linebackers Shaquil Barrett (19.5 sacks) and Jason Pierre-Paul (8.5 sacks) can wreak havoc on quarterbacks with no avenue of escape.
What Suh represents is a vital piece the last one among the Bucs front seven who were free agents that the team needed to re-sign in order to keep everyone together for 2020.
We wanted the entire defense, if we could, to stay together; they played so well together, Bucs coach Bruce Arians said on a conference call Wednesday. That was a piece of the puzzle, they knew each other. Suh was a big, big part of it, obviously. Not as much in the sack game as much as his interior pressure and the great job he did last year against the run. I mean, we were No. 1 against the run in the league last year and a lot of it was because of him and Vita.
Suh, 33, agreed to a one-year, $8 million contract to return to the Bucs in 2020. He earned $9.25 million last season while playing in 77 percent of the defensive snaps.
He had drawn interest from at least the 49ers, who traded DeForest Buckner to the Colts for a first-round pick. But when that fizzled, Suh agreed to remain in Tampa Bay.
Nobody ran on the Bucs last season. They allowed only 73.8 yards rushing per game. In the final three games, including one against the playoff-bound Houston Texans, they allowed only 67.3.
When you consider the roll call of running backs the Bucs faced last season the Panthers Christian McCaffrey, the Saints Alvin Kamara, the Rams Todd Gurley, the Giants Saquon Barkley and the Titans Travis Henry its even more impressive. None of those elite ballcarriers rushed for 100 yards against the Bucs.
Only three of Tampa Bays 16 opponents in 2019 rushed for more than 100 yards as a team. The Seahawks Chris Carson, who rushed for 105 yards in a Week 9 loss at Seattle, is the only running back to reach the century rushing mark against the Bucs last season.
The No. 1 goal for me coming out of last season is to continue to build on defense and the only way to build is to keep everybody in place and grow," Arians said. Its huge.. ... We did some really nice things last year and we got better and better, especially the last six weeks of the season. I really liked the way we played against Houston, which was a playoff-caliber team and I thought our defense played more than well enough to win that game."
Of course, turnovers were the problem and the Bucs believe they have addressed that, replacing Jameis Winston with Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.
What the Bucs wanted from Suh he delivered. Vea, who battled through injuries as a rookie, still has only begun to tap his potential. Hes so strong with balance and speed that its impossible to block him with one player.
But he didnt have enough of a mean streak, and the Bucs were hoping Suh would help draw that out of him without crossing the line.
Like Suh, Vea had two-and-a-half sacks while hauling in a touchdown pass from Winston. Suh had nearly as many touchdowns (two) as he had sacks (2.5). He played in 16 games with 41 tackles, seven tackles for loss, 14 quarterback hits and 2.5 sacks. He returned fumbles for touchdowns at Los Angeles and Atlanta.
The Bucs used the franchise tag on Barrett, who led the NFL in sacks with 19.5. Then they signed Pierre-Paul to a two-year, $25 million deal. Pierre-Paul had 8.5 sacks in 10 games after missing the first part of the season with a cervical fracture in his neck.
Arians is known for his expertise on the other side of the ball. But no matter who is under center, it wouldnt mean much if they couldnt stop anyone on defense.
Right now, weve got just about the whole defense back and we changed quarterbacks," Arians said. I think we gained the best quarterback to ever play the game. I think it sends a good message.
The front seven has been preserved. Suh, Vea and William Gholston are back as the starting three defensive linemen. Barrett, Pierre-Paul, Lavonte David and Devin White are locked up at linebacker. The Bucs lost linebacker Carl Nassib to the Raiders and defensive tackle Beau Allen to the Patriots in free agency, but that was about it on defense.
After signing Suh, the Bucs have about $14 million in salary cap space. Some of that has to go to signing a draft class and injured reserve. Arians said the only things left to add in free agency would possibly be a pass-catching running back and depth in the secondary, especially safety.
I dont think talent will be an issue whether we make the Super Bowl or not," Arians said. Theres some luck that comes with that, staying healthy and some other things. But talent wont be an issue to keep us out of the playoffs, no."
Read more here:
The Bucs keep the band together on defense - Tampa Bay Times
- Getting into video games in the midst of COVID-19 - Iowa City Press-Citizen - April 2nd, 2020
- Games and puzzles sales grow 240 per cent in the UK, as families turn to classic games during COVID-19 lockdown - Toy News - April 2nd, 2020
- Halfway is a minimalistic puzzle game about reuniting people that's heading for iOS later this month - Pocket Gamer - April 2nd, 2020
- This Completely Clear Puzzle Will Put Your Skills to the Test - HouseBeautiful.com - April 2nd, 2020
- Parental involvement is a key piece of the puzzle - Atlanta Journal Constitution - April 2nd, 2020
- A protein puzzle game called Foldit turns up 99 promising ways to confound coronavirus - GeekWire - April 2nd, 2020
- Sales of board games and jigsaws soar during coronavirus lockdown - The Guardian - April 2nd, 2020
- Guessed is the new puzzle game from Asked; know how to play - Somag News - April 2nd, 2020
- Japanese flip phone games are coming to the Nintendo Switch - The Verge - April 2nd, 2020
- These Are The Top 4 Free Puzzle Games To Kill Time During This Coronavirus Lockdown - MensXP.com - April 1st, 2020
- Opinion: In times of anxiety, I turn to board games and puzzles Rachel Lowe - Toy News - April 1st, 2020
- Capcom releases browser game that combined cats, puzzles, and Street Fighter - Nintendo Wire - April 1st, 2020
- The Games and Puzzles April issue of ToyNews is available to read online now - Toy News - April 1st, 2020
- How to have a game night while practicing social distancing - CBS19.tv KYTX - April 1st, 2020
- You can play Candy Crush with free, unlimited lives this week - The Verge - April 1st, 2020
- Special Olympics athletes stay connected online through conversations, games amid COVID-19 pandemic - KHOU.com - April 1st, 2020
- The ABC's of At Home Activities - KBTX - April 1st, 2020
- Direct mini highlights A wide variety of games coming to Nintendo Switch this year - Nintendo Official Site - Nintendo - April 1st, 2020
- Big Ear Games brings the sound of music education to children - VentureBeat - April 1st, 2020
- 16 Aesthetically Pleasing Puzzles and Games to Play at Home - The New York Times - March 30th, 2020
- THE TICKER: What now for the Tokyo Games? Says IOC chief Bach, This is like a huge jigsaw puzzle - The Sports Examiner - March 30th, 2020
- Chess: an expert took an hour to solve this simple puzzle can you do better? - Financial Times - March 30th, 2020
- 10 Online Games You'll Get Totally Lost in (in a Good Way) - POPSUGAR - March 29th, 2020
- With games on hold, PawSox adjusting to a strange new normal in final season before move to Worcester - thegardnernews.com - March 29th, 2020
- The Best Cheap PC Games You Can Buy On Steam Right Now - GameSpot - March 29th, 2020
- PuzzleScript: The free puzzle-building tool that lets you make games in minutes - BingePost - March 28th, 2020
- Here's what people are doing to pass the time during coronavirus isolation - ABC News - March 28th, 2020
- Solve Mesmerizing Puzzles In VR With FORM - GameTyrant - March 28th, 2020
- If you're in the mood for a mobile puzzle game, Monument Valley 2 is free - Destructoid - March 28th, 2020
- Who Should Be Inducted Into The 2020 Video Game Hall Of Fame? - 98.5 The Sports Hub - March 27th, 2020
- COVID-19: Top 5 infotainment iOS apps to keep your kids happy and learn skills during the lockdown - Deccan Herald - March 27th, 2020
- Banana Panda games and puzzles are fun, educational toys for toddlers that encourage cognitive development my 19-month-old loves them - INSIDER - March 26th, 2020
- The Room VR: A Dark Matter is the best VR escape room game - CNET - March 26th, 2020
- Blockade Games Adds Puzzle and Game Development Services to Its Offerings - SludgeFeed - March 26th, 2020
- The 26 best Nintendo Switch games to play through the quarantine - For The Win - March 26th, 2020
- New Nintendo Direct Mini Highlights a Wide Variety of Games Coming to Nintendo Switch This Year - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Rachel Lowe to develop new puzzles, board games and card games for Beano - Toy News - March 26th, 2020
- Galway have all the pieces to solve All-Ireland puzzle - Farrell - Independent.ie - March 26th, 2020
- 20 best games to play if you are self-isolating during the coronavirus outbreak | London Evening Standard - Evening Standard - March 26th, 2020
- Newsdio: Oleg Nesterenko's blog - Beidi Guo, developer of LUNA The Shadow Dust, on how story and environmental narrative increase repeatability in... - March 26th, 2020
- Spyder is a game about a spider that's a spy. And it's on Apple Arcade now. - iMore - March 26th, 2020
- Deciding to Postpone the Olympics Was Tough. Actually Moving Them May Be Tougher. - The New York Times - March 26th, 2020
- The 21 best PC games on Xbox Game Pass for PC right now (March 2020) - For The Win - March 26th, 2020
- We got 5 game devs to explain why Animal Crossing is so damn good - The Next Web - March 25th, 2020
- Bit of Land in the Seine - The New York Times - March 25th, 2020
- How to solve the Button Puzzle in the Quarantine Zone in Half-Life: Alyx - Gamepur - March 25th, 2020
- Heal is a story-driven puzzle game for iOS and Android that aims to cover heavy topics such as dementia - Pocket Gamer - March 25th, 2020
- What's Still on Ravens To-Do List Now that the defensive line has been addressed, the - BaltimoreRavens.com - March 25th, 2020
- Did you solve it? Meet the puzzle king - The Guardian - March 24th, 2020
- Creative Video Games to Play While Quarantined - Hyperallergic - March 24th, 2020
- People are curbing their stay-at-home anxiety the analog way: With puzzles - CNN - March 24th, 2020
- Puzzles and Kids Toys Flying Off Shelves Amid Coronavirus Pandemic - TMZ - March 24th, 2020
- Doom Eternal: Tips and tricks to survive the whole game - VentureBeat - March 24th, 2020
- Its a Perfect Time to Play Video Games. And You Shouldnt Feel Bad About It. - The New York Times - March 23rd, 2020
- Can you solve it? Meet the puzzle king - The Guardian - March 23rd, 2020
- Release Radar: Our pick of the week's best TV, movies, and games (March 23 - 29) - GamesRadar+ - March 23rd, 2020
- The Revolution In Educational Gaming Will Not Be Recognizable - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Games of the week Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Murder By Numbers, Crossy Road Castle and Butter Royale - Inverness Courier - March 23rd, 2020
- Philly-based puzzle company offers a visually stunning antidote to the coronavirus craziness - The Philadelphia Citizen - March 23rd, 2020
- PC's Leslie Huffman named LKC player of the year | News, Sports, Jobs - Marietta Times - March 23rd, 2020
- Title win the last piece of the puzzle for stoked Cats - The West Australian - March 22nd, 2020
- Tired of the coronavirus lockdown? Here are five games to pass the time - Deccan Herald - March 21st, 2020
- Commanding the Situation - The New York Times - March 21st, 2020
- One Of The Best Switch Games Is Discounted On The Eshop - GameSpot - March 21st, 2020
- UK turns to board games, puzzles, and crafting as suppliers and toy shops prepare families for school closures - Toy News - March 21st, 2020
- From Proust to puzzles: The coronavirus is shifting the focus of France's star rabbi - JTA News - March 21st, 2020
- Stuck at home? 10 activities for families to try to keep busy while out of school - Austin Daily Herald - Austin Herald - March 21st, 2020
- UNTITLED GOOSE GAME SNEAKS AWAY WITH THE WIN FOR GAME OF THE YEAR AT THE 20th ANNUAL GAME DEVELOPERS CHOICE AWARDS - Associated Press - March 20th, 2020
- Your turn to find some fun with the family - The Spokesman-Review - March 20th, 2020
- How you can help local businesses while still practicing social distancing during the coronavirus outbreak - OregonLive - March 20th, 2020
- Lilith Games Brings the Puzzle-Filled Fun of Mr. Pumpkin 2 to Mobile This April - GamingLyfe Network - March 19th, 2020
- This 1000-Piece Puzzle Will Help You Rediscover Classic Childhood Toys and Games - HouseBeautiful.com - March 19th, 2020
- Thinking Inside the Box by Adrienne Raphel review adventures with crosswords - The Guardian - March 19th, 2020
- UNTITLED GOOSE GAME SNEAKS AWAY WITH THE WIN FOR GAME OF THE YEAR AT THE 20th ANNUAL GAME DEVELOPERS CHOICE AWARDS - GlobeNewswire - March 19th, 2020
- The Best Free Games to Try Out From the Steam Game Festival - Lifehacker - March 19th, 2020
- Dr Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch review: entertaining and useful - but doesn't live up to the original game - Hartlepool Mail - March 19th, 2020
- 'When the Past Was Around' Tells a Heartbreaking Story Through Puzzles - Indie Games Plus - March 19th, 2020
- Being on lockdown isnt all fun and games but families need fun and these games help - fox4kc.com - March 19th, 2020
- Bored at home? Tabletop games help ease the self-isolation blahs - Madison.com - March 19th, 2020
- The 19 best video games to play during coronavirus isolation - PennLive - March 18th, 2020