With 2020 being a disaster of a year, you mayactuallybe looking forward to seeing your family during the holidays this year. Seeing as youre all cooped up inside anyway, you may as well hand your loved ones a controller and get to work forcing them to play games with you. Theres no better way to usher in the holiday season than by huddling around the television with loved ones to play videogames, and generally its better if those loved ones can play the gameswithyou, rather than just watching. Thats why weve compiled our favourite split screen and local co-op games.
Weve included a mix of competitive and cooperative games, depending on the type of people youre playing with. While the idea of repeatedly destroying your friends and family at games might sound appealing, you may want to channel that energy into completing tasks together instead. Lets face it, an argument during the holidays is inevitable, but thats no reason toforceone.
Sure, you could play some of thebest PC board games, but youll probably need something with a bit more tempo to keep everyone conscious after dinner. Whether youre playing these games huddled up next to a monitor, or streaming your PC directly to your smart TV with the Steam Link app, there should be enough on this list to keep you busy over holidays.
Before you could play games over the internet, the Tony Hawk series made a name for itself with its amazing split screen multiplayer modes. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1 + 2 resurrects this nostalgia-filled experience, complete with all the classic game modes such as Trick Attack, Graffiti, and Horse. Watching two players heckle each other during a game of Horse beats the Queens speech hands down.
More like this: Here are the best skateboard games on PC
If you arent competitive, you can always change the mode to Free Skate for a relaxing skate session. The beauty of this mode is that anyone can play and listen to the amazing soundtrack without having to worry about any pesky objectives. This is a great way to show first-time skaters the ropes without delving into the games complex mechanics. Who knows, you may even be able to convince mum to pop a quick kickflip before the New Year.
Tetris Effects latest expansion introduces new multiplayer modes to the game, adding a cherry on top of one of the greatest puzzle games ever made. Not only do you have the standard versus modes that the Tetris series is known for, Connected puts a spin on things by introducing a unique co-op mode, which pits three players against one CPU opponent, giving each person their own screen.
No matter how good you are individually, you wont be able to succeed without working together. In order to damage the boss, youll need to fuse your screens together, creating one massive Tetris screen. Attacking the boss requires a lot of cooperation, but when it all comes together, youll be able to celebrate your mince pie-fuelled victory as a well-oiled machine.
It only took 26 years to receive another Streets of Rage sequel, and while things couldve gone poorly, Streets of Rage 4 managed to exceed fans astronomical expectations. This side-scrolling brawler reinvented the series combat system, introducing combos and two new heroes to join mainstays Axel Stone and Blaze Fielding. Unlike the previous games, Streets of Rage 4 ramps things up to new heights by allowing four players to tackle the main campaign together.
If youre looking to start some fights, be sure to enable the friendly fire which introduces an element of danger to your teammates button mashing approach. Theres also a battle mode to prove exactly which player has been dragging the team down the entire time. You should be able to get through the campaign in only a few hours, making it an excellent game to play during the festive season.
Fortunately for you and your favourite relative, Spelunky 2s dangerous environments can be tackled in co-op. Spelunky 2 is already a tough game and adding a mate into the mix doesnt necessarily make things any easier, but thats part of the games charm. The larger levels give way to more exciting and even more frustrating moments, like when your co-op buddy accidentally kills you by setting off an arrow trap.
Read more: Here are the best roguelike games
While you can play Spelunky 2 with up to four players in the adventure mode, wed recommend sticking to just two players lest the on-screen carnage becomes too much to keep up with. Alternatively, you may want to check out the surprisingly robust arena mode if you get sick of your co-op partner, putting them through their paces in an arena filled with bombs, plasma cannons, and more rope than you could possibly need.
Whether youve only got time for a ten-minute brawl, or youve booked out an entire day for some family beatdowns, Street Fighter V: Champion Edition is perfect for the Christmas season. This highly competitive fighting game can create long-lasting rivalries spanning decades. No matter how old you get, the eternal battle between Ryu and Ken will never end.
Street Fighter V features numerous Christmas outfits and stages to really get into the spirit of the holiday, and all of these are included in its Champion Edition. Fight in front of a giant inflatable version of Abigail surrounded by decorated trees, or take to the streets of Frosty Boulevard in several Santa-inspired costumes. Whilefighting gamesgenerally work best with experienced players, you only need to land one good hit to find yourself utterly hooked on Street Fighter.
Moving house is always stressful, but SMG Studio and Devm Games Moving Out manages to turn this ordeal into a fun, albeit clumsy adventure, which isalsoincredibly stressful. Up to four players must race against the clock to fill up a moving truck with sofas, bric-a-brac, sheep, and anything else the owners tell you to lug around. To test how strong your friendships truly are, some items require multiple people to carry, so you can expect to reenact the pivot scene from Friends a fair few times.
As if shifting furniture wasnt arduous enough, there are additional challenges to tackle to make the job much harder. While youd rather avoid smashing windows in real life, some of Moving Outs bonus objectives actually encourage it. Not only does this save you valuable time when youre trying to shift heavy items, it makes it even trickier later on when the game challenges you to not break anything. Youre more likely to break more a sweat lifting furniture in Moving Out than you will doing anything else during the holidays.
A golden oldie, but its a classic for a reason. Peggle is very simple to understand, mixing with a bit of randomness so everyone stands a chance of winning. Who wouldve thought that hitting coloured pegs could be so competitive?
You can dial things up a few notches by introducing your own custom rules. Sure, these rules arent officially in the game, but everybody knows that the Magic Hat and Zen Ball powers are completely broken, so its fine to mix things up a bit. Peggle is a great game to keep on in the background while youre catching up with people during a Christmas party.
Go here to read the rest:
The best split screen games to play this Christmas - PCGamesN
- Pillars of Active Aging - Old School Puzzles And Games To Promote Active Aging Brain Health - LNP | LancasterOnline - March 4th, 2021
- Tvinnr: Basic tips to help you enjoy this relaxing puzzle game - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- Maquette is a neat puzzle game that packs an emotional punch - The Next Web - March 4th, 2021
- Our most anticipated indie games of 2021 - Rock Paper Shotgun - March 4th, 2021
- MonkeyBox 2: Cards! is an upcoming puzzle adventure game for iOS from TheCodingMonkeys - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- Play with Gravity in Gravifire on Xbox and Switch - TheXboxHub - March 4th, 2021
- Lovin Games Weekly - There is a new Aliens game on the way - Lovin Dublin - March 4th, 2021
- It Takes Two Isn't Focusing on Replayability, Won't Have Collectibles - GameRant - March 4th, 2021
- The Video Games to Play This Month: Get Tiny with Maquette, It Takes Two, and More! - The Portland Mercury - March 4th, 2021
- 50% Kemco RPG and Puzzle Games on PS Store - GLYFE Nation - March 4th, 2021
- Worst Pokmon Spin-off Games Nintendo Should Never Remake - Screen Rant - March 4th, 2021
- Super Rare Games giving immersive puzzle game Creaks a physical Switch release next week - GoNintendo - March 4th, 2021
- Every Uncharted Game, Ranked Worst To Best | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - March 4th, 2021
- 10 Games We Need To See On PSVR2 That Could Actually Happen On PS5 - TheGamer - March 4th, 2021
- PC Review - 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead' - WorthPlaying.com - March 4th, 2021
- The Next Hawks Coach Will Have to Solve the Trae Young Puzzle - The Ringer - March 4th, 2021
- Sponsored: 5 games that make you think like a programmer - Gamasutra - March 4th, 2021
- Inked review - "If only looks were everything" | Articles - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- From Portal to Witcher 3: The games people cheat at the most! - European Gaming Industry News - March 4th, 2021
- 5 Best PC Boxing games to play in 2021 - Gameranx - March 4th, 2021
- What Are the Most Popular Types of Mobile Game? | TechQuila - TechQuila - February 19th, 2021
- The Legend of Zelda games ranked! - The Guardian - February 19th, 2021
- Wordsmyth is a beautiful daily word game coming soon to iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - February 19th, 2021
- Review: She Remembered Caterpillars - Movies Games and Tech - February 19th, 2021
- Artie raises $10 million as it pivots to make instant games - VentureBeat - February 19th, 2021
- Fortnite Creative gets callout for puzzles and platformers - AltChar - February 19th, 2021
- Top 10 games to download and play first on your new Apple iPhone - Gadget Bridge - February 19th, 2021
- Outer Wilds launches this summer on Nintendo Switch - Shacknews - February 19th, 2021
- Steam Developer Banned After Trying to Trick Users About Positive Reviews - VICE - February 19th, 2021
- Global Games and Puzzles Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Key Drivers, Business Strategy, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 Express Keeper - Express... - February 19th, 2021
- Next 10 Classic Horror Games To Play If You Liked The Medium - TheGamer - February 17th, 2021
- Game stores seeing an increase in new customers since the COVID-19 pandemic - WeAreGreenBay.com - February 17th, 2021
- The First 10 Games Released On The PS2 (In Chronological Order) - TheGamer - February 17th, 2021
- Zynga Expects Its Mobile Gaming Empire to Grow More Than 30% In 2021 - Motley Fool - February 17th, 2021
- 8 Underrated Open-World Games (That Came Out In The Last 5 Years) - GameRant - February 17th, 2021
- The Room 4: Old Sins Is Out For PC, And Prettier Than Ever - Kotaku - February 17th, 2021
- Knight's Retreat Review - Chess but not! - TheXboxHub - February 17th, 2021
- Soapbox: We Were Here, the Free PS4 Game No One Will Play with Me - Push Square - February 17th, 2021
- PS5 : HuniePop 2, another title that joins Twitch's list of banned games - Explica - February 17th, 2021
- 10 VR Games That Don't Give You Motion Sickness - TheGamer - February 17th, 2021
- 10 Things You Never Knew About The Origins Of Tetris | Game Rant - GameRant - February 17th, 2021
- Games of the week: The Medium, Spire Blast, Encodya and Solas 128 - Inverness Courier - February 17th, 2021
- Nokia 5.4 review this ones for the stock Android fans on a tight budget - Business Insider India - February 17th, 2021
- Thorny Puzzle Title Room To Grow Is Coming To PC This Month - Bleeding Cool News - February 14th, 2021
- Imaginative Puzzle Game QV Heading To Steam | TheGamer - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- 10 Open World Games That Have No Combat | Game Rant - GameRant - February 14th, 2021
- Schell Games Talks I Expect You To Die 2 And VR's Future - UploadVR - February 14th, 2021
- ConnecTank Is a Multiplayer Tank Battle and Puzzle Game Coming This Fall - SuperParent - February 14th, 2021
- Best Valentines Day games for couples: top titles to play with your loved one - TechRadar - February 14th, 2021
- Outer Wilds And The Best Games That Use Time Loops - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- The Most Peaceful Games of 2020, Ranked | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- Best new mobile games on iOS and Android this February - Metro.co.uk - February 14th, 2021
- PS4 Update: Download This New F2P PlayStation 4 Game - RealSport101 - February 14th, 2021
- The Best Free PC Games of Multiple Category in 2021 - TechnoSports - February 14th, 2021
- The DeanBeat: Has the game industry hit its peak with crazy valuations or just begun its growth? - VentureBeat - February 14th, 2021
- Video game review: 'The Medium' a messy horror game with inventive puzzles - telegraphherald.com - February 14th, 2021
- TouchArcade Game of the Week: 'Knightin'+' - Touch Arcade - February 14th, 2021
- Numskull Games Offers Sneak Peek At Upcoming Titles, Reveals RICO London - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- Recursive Puzzle Game, Maquette, to be Released in March - mxdwn.com - February 11th, 2021
- Tackle thorny problems in 'Room to Grow' a plant pushing puzzle game launching on Steam for PC & Mac 25th February 2021! - Gamasutra - February 11th, 2021
- PS5 and PS4 free game bonus: Grab a friend and download co-op puzzler for free - Express - February 11th, 2021
- Somethings Fishy About This Steam Games Very Positive Reviews - Kotaku - February 11th, 2021
- Human Fall Flat Was Originally Designed To Be Portal Meets Limbo - TheGamer - February 11th, 2021
- Tilting Point will invest up to $60 million in user acquisition for Loop Games Match 3D game - VentureBeat - February 11th, 2021
- Every App And VR Game Coming To Oculus App Lab For Quest - UploadVR - February 11th, 2021
- Nuts Review- Hiding Above the Trees, Looking For Squirrels - DualShockers - February 11th, 2021
- A bit about our currently nameless game company, and what we're working on at the moment - Gamasutra - February 11th, 2021
- 'Breath Of The Wild' Reinvented Zelda Games. 'Bowser's Fury' Does That For Mario - Mashable India - February 11th, 2021
- Slipways was the best demo in the Steam Games Festival, but it's gone now - Rock Paper Shotgun - February 9th, 2021
- Move Over, Mother 3 - THESE Nintendo Games Should Be Localized Too - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 9th, 2021
- Solve puzzles in a recursive world where everything is simultaneously tiny and massive - PC Gamer - February 9th, 2021
- The best PSVR games to try on a PS5 - CNET - February 9th, 2021
- Xbox One: The 7 Easiest Games to Unlock Every Achievement | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 9th, 2021
- Knightin'+ is a Zelda-inspired puzzle-adventure game that's heading for iOS and Android tomorrow - Pocket Gamer - February 9th, 2021
- Cross-Play Video Game Publisher TLM Partners, Inc. Announces Their First Indie Title "Zorya: The Celestial Sisters" developed by MadLife... - February 9th, 2021
- The Video Games to Play This Month: Giant Bowser, Fractal Planet Exploration, and Werewolves! - TheStranger.com - February 9th, 2021
- The ultimate guide to getting into the Resident Evil games - PC Gamer - February 9th, 2021
- Games of the week: Hitman 3, The Pillar: Puzzle Escape, Nuts and Ride 4 - Inverness Courier - February 9th, 2021
- 5 Awesome Video Game Sequels That Defined A Franchise (& 5 That Were Way Overrated) - Screen Rant - February 9th, 2021
- 10 Terrifying Horror Games Most Gamers Have Never Heard Of - GameRant - February 9th, 2021