Digital versions of Wheres Waldo? or I-Spy, also known as hidden object games, are mechanically simple yet dizzyingly complex. The premise of finding items hidden in crowded spaces can create visual puzzles out of static pages; most of the work in playing a hidden object game happens with the eyes and brain.
In recent years, the hidden object genre has begun to evolve. The core gameplay spotting things in cluttered rooms is branching out in new directions: story-heavy dramas, surrealist worlds, even adventure gameplay. Theres never been a better time to seek out the genre.
Weve compiled a list of the best hidden object games you can play across all platforms Windows PC, Mac, console, and mobile. Some of them may not be considered traditional hidden object games, but all of these selections share the genres basic premise.
Eventide: Slavic Fable, made by hidden object game powerhouse Artifex Mundi, is the genre in its purest form. The narrative of Slavic Fable centers, naturally, on Slavic mythology, using these stories as a backdrop for the gorgeous, complex worlds. There are also simple puzzles to accompany the hidden object gameplay.
Eventide: Slavic Fable is available on Android and iOS devices, Mac, Linux, and Windows PC.
Created by a solo developer, Small Life is a short, free game thats described as an interactive city discovery game. Over a set of in-depth illustrations set in Shenzhen, China, players seek out small interactions that string together to create intimate scenes like a piece of paper that eventually becomes a paper airplane for a cat to swat away.
Small Life is free on itch.io.
Drawn: Dark Flight is another classic hidden object game, this time by prolific publisher Big Fish Games. It plays out like a dark fairy tale, filled with beautiful illustrations to stop and stare at.
Drawn: Dark Flight is available on Android and iOS devices, Windows PC, and Mac.
Milo and the Magpies is a gorgeous, hand-painted game by illustrator Johan Scherft. Simply put, its a world I want to live in helping a curious grey cat called Milo find his way home. The game unfolds as Milo travels through various neighborhood gardens.
Milo and the Magpies is available on Mac and Windows PC.
Labyrinth City: Pierre the Maze Detective, created by developer Darjeeling, looks a lot like Wheres Waldo?, but its not a classic hidden object game. The game is part hidden object, part puzzle maze; each scene is crowded with strange things and people, lots to click on and interact with, and plenty of dead ends to get stuck in. Its simple and based on a childrens book but still plenty interesting to explore.
Labyrinth City: Pierre the Maze Detective is available on Android and iOS devices, Nintendo Switch, Mac, and Windows PC.
Hidden Folks, released in 2017 by Adriaan de Jongh, is an indie darling. The charmingly drawn world by illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg is delightful when paired with Hidden Folks silly animation and sounds. Theres so much to find in these chaotic black-and-white worlds.
Hidden Folks is available on Android and iOS devices, Nintendo Switch, Mac, and Windows PC.
A game about love and letting go, When The Past Was Around plays more like a point-and-click adventure game with hidden object elements. Its got a whimsical art style thats easy to get wrapped up in, with charming music to set the mood.
When The Past Was Around is available on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Windows PC, and Xbox One.
Toem is also an adventure game, one thats centered around its in-game photo mode. But like games in the hidden object genre, Toem is a game about simply noticing things in the world around you which, of course, is magical.
Toem is available on Nintendo Switch, Mac, PlayStation 5, and Windows PC.
Created by Aconite, HoloVista is a weird, surreal world in which youre an architect named Carmen inspecting a mysterious and dreamy mansion. Its played in a unique way, adding alternative reality elements on top of the hidden object format on mobile.
HoloVista is playable on iOS devices via the App Store.
More psychedelic than surreal, Morphopolis is full of bright, brilliant art and a playful story. If you havent guessed from the name, its about bugs specifically, a grub seeking out metamorphosis.
You can play Morphopolis on Windows PC.
Like Hidden Folks, Wind Peaks is described as a searching game with cartoon drawings. Players seek out objects in the world stuff like hats and shoes and flashlights as they move through a cute, campy story.
Wind Peaks is available on Nintendo Switch and Windows PC.
- 10 newb-friendly games to gift to the non-gamers in your life - Destructoid - December 8th, 2021
- Puzzle Games for Kids Online | Play Free Fun Kids Puzzles - December 8th, 2021
- Puzzle Game Downloads - Play 207 Free Puzzle Games! - December 8th, 2021
- Ever Forward brings Portal-like puzzling to Xbox, PlayStation and Switch - TheXboxHub - December 8th, 2021
- What if Breath of the Wild had an air dash - Polygon - December 8th, 2021
- The biggest new video games coming out the week of 12/6/21 AIPT - AIPT - December 8th, 2021
- How a 1993 puzzle adventure became Apple's 2021 Game of the Year - Cult of Mac - December 8th, 2021
- When We Made... Bonfire Peaks: "In my opinion, storytelling is not really a strength of the medium of games, or what excites me most about... - December 8th, 2021
- New PS5 & PS4 Game Releases - New PS5 & PS4 Games Releasing This Week (December 6-12) - PlayStation Universe - December 8th, 2021
- KITERETSU Has Launched the First VR Game in ZOOKEEPER Series, "ZOOKEEPER: Blast Quest" and Is Now Available on Meta Quest Store - Business... - December 8th, 2021
- Free Games On Epic Games Store - Current, Upcoming, And Past - TalkEsport - TE - December 8th, 2021
- Ty's Time: Ty Jerome's Bench Ascension and the Puzzle Pieces yet to be Placed - Sports Illustrated - December 8th, 2021
- Terrifying Co-Op Puzzler Forces Duos To See A Different Version Of The Game - Kotaku - November 20th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl', 'Nerf Legends', and Today's Other Releases and Sales TouchArcade - Touch... - November 20th, 2021
- Top toys of 2021: Games, puzzles and activity kits are the standouts - theday.com - November 20th, 2021
- Puzzle Games - 40 Best Puzzle Games To Play In 2021 - November 7th, 2021
- A Battle Royale Mode Is Coming to the Puzzle Game Superliminal - COGconnected - November 7th, 2021
- Say goodbye to your mortal shell with this gorgeous, ghostly puzzle game - PC Gamer - November 7th, 2021
- Unpacking: the meditative puzzle game thats all about organising - The Guardian - November 7th, 2021
- Top toys of 2021: Games, puzzles and activity kits are the standouts - The Union Leader - November 7th, 2021
- Unpacking Might Have The Worst Video Game Boyfriend Of The Year - Kotaku - November 7th, 2021
- Itching to code? These are the best games to learn programming skills - TechRadar - November 7th, 2021
- New Games You Should Play This November: Get Lost in a Puzzle Box, Jump Your Way Out of a Cult, and Craft Your New Life on an Island - TheStranger.com - November 7th, 2021
- Steam Deck could be the PS Vita 2 Sony will never give us - Tom's Guide - November 7th, 2021
- The Top 10 Mobile Games List of October 2021 - mxdwn.com - November 7th, 2021
- 'Unpacking' Is a Lovely Game About the Power of Seemingly Mundane Objects - VICE - November 7th, 2021
- New VR Games November 2021: All The Biggest Releases - UploadVR - November 7th, 2021
- New on Switch: Unpacking, World War Z, Just Dance 2022, A Boy and His Blob, Demon Turf, The Smurfs, Popeye, more - Games Asylum - November 7th, 2021
- Buzzy Puzzles: 5 Spelling Bee Games to Use in the Classroom - The New York Times - October 26th, 2021
- Tandem: A Tale Of Shadows review: pleasing puzzles but short on character - NME - October 26th, 2021
- This new Kickstarter puts a tiny Game Boy-shaped system on a keychain - and it works - SYFY WIRE - October 26th, 2021
- Why detective video games are the perfect way to experience a mystery - The Guardian - October 26th, 2021
- Review: Out of Line - Movies Games and Tech - October 26th, 2021
- Total Mayhem Games on the evolution of Games with Gold success story, We Were Here - TrueAchievements - October 26th, 2021
- How Beatrix Potter and a fear of open water inspired the surreal, Limbo-like horror puzzler Silt - Rock Paper Shotgun - October 26th, 2021
- Happy Halloween on RPS! Have a load of horror-themed writing to celebrate - Rock Paper Shotgun - October 26th, 2021
- The Biggest Console Flops Of All Time - Looper - October 26th, 2021
- Among the Sleep is a horror game freebie on the Epic Games Store - Destructoid - October 26th, 2021
- Xbox Game Pass Oct 2021: Backbone, The Forgotten City, And More - Kotaku - October 26th, 2021
- Award-Winning Game 'Where Cards Fall' For PC and Switch Gets Release Date - COGconnected - October 15th, 2021
- Eye of the Temple review: Spelunking like Indiana Jones - Android Central - October 15th, 2021
- How to clear the mist on Tsurumi Island: Every Perch puzzle and feather location in Genshin Impact - Gamesradar - October 15th, 2021
- "Midnight Protocol" alluded to: The spirit in the machine - Market Research Telecast - October 15th, 2021
- Piece Together The Truth Of A Mysterious Cube - Gamasutra - October 15th, 2021
- Zookeeper World is a glimpse at life without free-to-play restrictions - Destructoid - October 15th, 2021
- Penn State Trying To 'Complete The Puzzle' In Run Game Ahead Of Iowa Showdown - Onward State - October 15th, 2021
- Singaporean Game Knight Crawlers Brings Whimsical Ragdoll Physics to Action RPGs - IGN SOUTH EAST ASIA - October 15th, 2021
- Challenge your mind with Immortus Temporus on Xbox, PlayStation and Switch - TheXboxHub - October 15th, 2021
- Two Player Mobile Game, Get Together: A Coop Adventure, Will Be Available To Play Tomorrow - mxdwn.com - October 15th, 2021
- Best Wii U Games: Many Of These Games Walked, So Their Switch Ports Could Run - GameSpot - October 15th, 2021
- 5 games that look (and play) better on the Nintendo Switch OLED - NME.com - October 15th, 2021
- Aspyr 25 Anniversary Celebration Starts with Big Sales and More - But Why Tho? A Geek Community - October 15th, 2021
- Plant with Care is a laid-back puzzler about growing ingredients that's heading for iOS and Android this month - Pocket Gamer - October 15th, 2021
- PC Building Simulator is free on the Epic Games Store - The Verge - October 15th, 2021
- Get boxed in with Catty & Batty: The Spirit Guide on console - TheXboxHub - October 15th, 2021
- Play Pass celebrates its 2nd birthday with 12 new games including Very Little Nightmares - Chrome Unboxed - October 15th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: Reviews Featuring 'Underland' and 'Antonball Deluxe', Plus the Latest News, Releases, and Sales TouchArcade - Touch Arcade - October 15th, 2021
- The 15 Best Xbox 360 Games Ever - GameSpot - October 15th, 2021
- Can you solve it? Another game of brutal genius from South Korea - The Guardian - October 5th, 2021
- Five new Steam games you probably missed (October 4, 2021) - PC Gamer - October 5th, 2021
- Check Out New Switch Games Arriving This Week - GameSpace.com - October 5th, 2021
- Rainbow Billy: The Curse of the Leviathan review A tale of friendship - PC Invasion - October 5th, 2021
- Can Auburn solve the puzzle that is Georgias daunting defense? - AL.com - October 5th, 2021
- 5 fun DIY puzzles and board games kids will love - Yahoo! Voices - October 5th, 2021
- Say hello to the 7 Little Words puzzle in the Erie Times-News Showcase starting Oct. 7 - GoErie.com - October 5th, 2021
- Bonfire Peaks' puzzle man would be a great (and terrible) presence in a house move - Rock Paper Shotgun - October 5th, 2021
- The best games of the year in 2021 (so far) - Gaming News - BollyInside - October 5th, 2021
- Marvel Puzzle Quest is celebrating its 8th anniversary with a new character and PvP event - Pocket Gamer - October 5th, 2021
- Here are some of the best sports games on Apple Arcade - Digit - October 5th, 2021
- Silt interview: How Limbo inspired this deep ocean dive - Shacknews - October 5th, 2021
- Far Cry 6, Alan Wake and more games coming to Xbox - October 4-8, 2021 - AltChar - October 5th, 2021
- Two Hundred Ways Is Coming To Steam On September 3rd - Bleeding Cool News - August 30th, 2021
- I Expect You To Die 2 review: the most fun Ive had solving puzzles this year - The Verge - August 30th, 2021
- 10 PS1 Games that Need to Be Remastered for Modern Consoles - Paste Magazine - August 30th, 2021
- Arcade Games Machine Market Latest Trend and Business Attractiveness 2021 to 2027 UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel Yell - August 30th, 2021
- Cloud save storage is causing issues with some Oculus Quest 2 games - Android Central - August 30th, 2021
- Gaming Time? Top 3 VR Games Available on Linux - Linux Journal - August 30th, 2021
- The Dallas Cowboys offensive line depth puzzle - Blogging The Boys - August 17th, 2021
- Neon White, A Game About Killing Demons, Could Be The Next Hades - Kotaku - August 17th, 2021
- NYT Crossword: Wife of Theseus - The New York Times - August 17th, 2021