If and when NBA play resumes, the Milwaukee Bucks will try and scratch a nearly half-century itch.
The franchises first and only NBA title was in 1971 with a cast featuring two all-time greats, Oscar Robertson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, plus a lesser known but extraordinarily talented Richmonder.
Bobby Dandridge drew third billing in 1971 on one of most dominant postseason teams in NBA annals.
In Milwaukee, I learned how to be an effective third option, Dandridge said in a YouTube interview prior to his No. 10 jersey being retired in 2015.
We had Big O and Kareem ... and when Johnny Mack (guard Jon McGlocklin) got hot, there werent any plays drawn up for the small forward.
Still, while surrounded by legends, the 6-foot-6 former Maggie L. Walker High School and Norfolk State University standout averaged 18.4 points during the regular season and 19.2 points during the playoffs.
Known as Bismarck for his big sneakers and Greyhound for his smooth, swift gait, Dandridge was the Bucks fourth round draft pick and the 45th pick overall in 1969.
Ill always be grateful to the Bucks. They must have seen something in me others didnt, Dandridge said.
Also in 1960, UCLA All-American Lew Alcindor, prior to his name change to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, was the first overall draft selection.
The 1969-70 season set the tone for 1970- 71. After going 27-55 in the inaugural 1968-69 season, Bucks improved to 56-26 in 1969-70.
Before 1970-71, the Bucks traded for Robertson, arguably the top guard in NBA annals. The Big O was 32 at the time, but still had plenty left.
With Alcindor (Jabbar) leading the NBA with a 26.6 points per game average, Robertson added 18.2 points and 8.3 assists per outing.
McGlocklin, a brilliant outside shooter out of Indiana University, added 15.8 points per game, a figure that would have been much higher with todays 3-point arc.
The other starter was forward Greg Smith (11.7 points per game), in his third year out of Western Kentucky University.
Under Coach Larry Costello, Milwaukee went 66-16 during the 1970- 71 regular season, then really hit the gas in the playoffs.
The Bucks eliminated the San Francisco Warriors, four games to one, the Los Angeles Lakers 4-1 and finally the Baltimore Bullets 4-0 to claim the ultimate prize in just the third season of the teams existence.
The 12-2 playoff run ranks with the NBAs best ever. Dandridge was outstanding without stealing the limelight from his more celebrated teammates.
I learned to be a role player, Dandridge said. But I was also able to carve my own niche. It was a challenge but it made me a better player.
Coincidentally, after being traded to Washington in 1977, Dandridge had a similar situation in the nations capital. In helping the Washington Bullets (now the Wizards) to their lone NBA crown in 1978, Dandridge was overshadowed by Hall of Famers-to-be Elvin Hayes and Wes Unseld.
The current Bucks are primed for a long playoff run assuming there are playoffs. When the NBA season was halted due to the coronavirus, the Bucks had the NBAs best record (53-12), highest scoring average (118.6) and arguably best player (Giannis Antetokounmpo).
Like in 1971, the current team has a local connection. Former Petersburg High School sensation Frank Mason has a dual contract with the Bucks and their G-League affiliate, the Wisconsin Herd. Depending on injuries, Mason could be a factor for the Bucks if play ever resumes.
Heres a little known fact about the Bucks long ago emergence as an NBA power. Milwaukee and Phoenix finished with the worst records in 1968-69. A flip of the coin would decide who got the first draft pick in 1969.
The Bucks won the toss and, to no ones surprise, selected 7-foot-2 Alcindor (Jabbar), already a national celebrity after fueling UCLA to three straight NCAA crowns.
There was less celebration in round four, when Milwaukee picked a little known forward out of Division II Norfolk State University.
But it was that native Richmonder who fit nicely as the ideal final piece to the puzzle.
- Creaks, a trippy 2D puzzle game, arrives on PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC in July - Daily Star - July 3rd, 2020
- The recursive world simulation & puzzle-making process in Maquette - PlayStation.Blog - July 3rd, 2020
- Maquette Will Bring Mind-Bendingly Clever Recursive Puzzles To PS5, PS4, And PC This Year - GameSpot - July 3rd, 2020
- How citizen scientists and video games are taking on Covid-19 - RTE.ie - July 3rd, 2020
- Felix The Reaper Comes To Life on iOS - GameSpace.com - July 3rd, 2020
- Turok and Grip highlight free games for Twitch Prime members this July - PC Invasion - July 3rd, 2020
- Incredibly Innovative Puzzle Game Carto Comes To PS4 This Fall - PlayStation Universe - July 1st, 2020
- This Doctor Who Sliding Puzzle Game Is Driving Me Insane and I Can't Stop Playing It - Gizmodo - July 1st, 2020
- Made in the USSR: 6 video games Soviets went crazy over - Russia Beyond - July 1st, 2020
- Adventure/puzzle game 'Carto' heading to Switch - GoNintendo - July 1st, 2020
- 10 Fantastic Disney Games From The 16-Bit Era | TheGamer - TheGamer - July 1st, 2020
- Top 10 Addictive Games That Can Help You Cure Boredom at the Workplace - ThisisXbox - July 1st, 2020
- With dinnertime singing and 1,000-piece puzzles, the Portland Thorns are settling into the bubble before faci - OregonLive - July 1st, 2020
- Games to Watch Out For This July GameSpew - GameSpew - June 30th, 2020
- Shelter Tails: Whoever adopts Hank will need a sense of humor - Times Herald-Record - June 30th, 2020
- Apple just unveiled its picks of the best iPad and iPhone apps of the year - here they are - TechRadar - June 30th, 2020
- Doctor Who fans are losing their minds over the new Thirteen Doctors game - RadioTimes - June 30th, 2020
- THOSE WHO REMAIN Review: Fear Of The Dark And Heavy Decisions - GameTyrant - June 30th, 2020
- Five new Steam games you probably missed (June 29, 2020) - PC Gamer - June 29th, 2020
- The Almost Gone Review - New Game Network - June 29th, 2020
- Power-Ups - The New York Times - June 29th, 2020
- United Fresh LIVE! Badge, Puzzle and Trivia winners announced - FreshPlaza.com - June 29th, 2020
- Review: Neversong's Moody Nightmare World Doesn't Strike the Right Chords - thirdcoastreview.com - June 29th, 2020
- How Xbox Series X Game Call Of The Sea Uses The Console's Power - GameSpot - June 29th, 2020
- The best new Android and iOS apps you should download this week - AndroidPIT - June 28th, 2020
- Nintendo Switch free games news: Two unmissable free downloads have just hit the eShop - Express - June 28th, 2020
- Apple Arcade needs games made with iPads in mind - heres why - TechRadar - June 28th, 2020
- Here's what we played during the Steam Game Festival Part 2 - GTOGG - June 28th, 2020
- Here are the discussions you missed in the PC Gamer forums this week - PC Gamer - June 28th, 2020
- Puzzler Superliminal Releasing July 7th - Pure PlayStation - June 26th, 2020
- THE ALMOST GONE Review: An Intriguing Puzzle Game With A Haunting Tale - GameTyrant - June 26th, 2020
- The Almost Gone review dreamlike puzzles unlock a world of dark unease - The Guardian - June 26th, 2020
- Urban Flow is coming tomorrow, 26th of June! - GamingLyfe Network - June 26th, 2020
- European eShop releases for the week of June 25th, 2020 - GoNintendo - June 26th, 2020
- Uncover the truth behind the dioramas of The Almost Gone , now available! - Gamasutra - June 26th, 2020
- Blair Witch, Mr. DRILLER DrillLand, Ninjala, Duke Nukem 3D, and SpongeBob Rehydrated hit the Switch - Games Asylum - June 26th, 2020
- Garden Story pushes its harvest back to 2021 - Shacknews - June 26th, 2020
- Dr. Mario World Introduces Dr Baby Wario, And We're Not Sure If He's Cute Or Not - GameSpot - June 24th, 2020
- An Ode to The End - SUPERJUMP - Medium - June 24th, 2020
- Indie Spotlight: Why KO_OP believes Apple Arcade is the perfect introduction for non-gamers - Pocket Gamer.Biz - June 24th, 2020
- Gotta drink up! Heres the official Sonic energy drink - Thumbsticks - June 24th, 2020
- Ever Forward is coming to Switch at the end of the year - Videogamer.com - June 24th, 2020
- The 10 Best Tetris Video Games Of All Time | Game Rant - GameRant - June 24th, 2020
- Five new games to play on your mobile this summer - The Upcoming - June 23rd, 2020
- 'Circulous', the Semi-Sequel to 'The Company Game' from Teenage Developer Chain Reaction Games, Now Available for Pre-Order - Touch Arcade - June 23rd, 2020
- Ever Forward by Pathea Games is Coming to Nintendo Switch - Gamasutra - June 23rd, 2020
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV Western Release on PlayStation 4 Set for October 27, PC and Switch in 2021 - Niche Gamer - June 23rd, 2020
- Time travel puzzle game The Great Perhaps coming to PS4, Xbox One, and Switch on July 10 - Gematsu - June 23rd, 2020
- The Last of Us Part 2 Review: A Brutally Heartfelt Masterpiece - KeenGamer News - June 23rd, 2020
- New Catherine: Full Body Switch Trailer Revealed at New Game Plus Expo - GameRant - June 23rd, 2020
- CLASS IN SESSION! MYSTERIOUS PUZZLE ADVENTURE GAME THE ACADEMY: THE FIRST RIDDLE UNVEILS ITS SECRETS TODAY - Gamasutra - June 22nd, 2020
- The World Video Game Hall of Fame 2020 inductees have been announced - My Nintendo News - June 22nd, 2020
- Page A4 | E-Edition | thetandd.com - The Times and Democrat - June 22nd, 2020
- 10 PS4 Games That Are Harder Than Dark Souls | Game Rant - GameRant - June 22nd, 2020
- Lots of us adopted dogs in quarantine: 'Dog Whisperer' Csar Milln has some tips - Greater Milwaukee Today - June 22nd, 2020
- Protagonists, Puzzles and Ports: An Interview With Ever Forward's Producer - GameSpew - June 22nd, 2020
- Picture Puzzle Market Share, Growth, Statistics, By Application, Production, Revenue & Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- The best retro games and PS4 remasters on sale - Explica - June 22nd, 2020
- Games of the week Skelattack, Maneater, Potata: Fairy Flower and SpongeBob: Patty Pursuit - Inverness Courier - June 22nd, 2020
- Solution to Riddle of the Week: The Pickleball Puzzle - Yahoo News - June 21st, 2020
- This is the first prescription video game for treating ADHD in kids - The Indian Express - June 21st, 2020
- What's something about games you didn't mind as a kid but can't stand now? - PC Gamer - June 21st, 2020
- How to Solve The Secret Silent Hill Clock Tower Puzzle in Dead by Daylight - Screen Rant - June 19th, 2020
- 15 must-try demos from the Steam Summer Game Festival - PCWorld - June 19th, 2020
- Augmented Reality Mobile Games Market to See Massive Growth by 2025 | Niantic, Sony, Six to Start - 3rd Watch News - June 19th, 2020
- Rising SEA Woven Is a Free Collection of Mini-Games Celebrating Southeast Asian Culture - The Escapist - June 19th, 2020
- Pokmon Caf Mix is an absolutely adorable puzzle game for Switch and mobile - The Verge - June 18th, 2020
- App Army Assemble: Reky - Is this Bauhaus-inspired puzzler a must-buy on mobile? - Pocket Gamer - June 18th, 2020
- Play This, Not That: The Last of Us Part II - SuperParent - June 17th, 2020
- Download over 900 demos in the Steam Summer Game Festival - AllGamers - June 17th, 2020
- Stockholm-based Stillfront lands 114 million to expand its global group of gaming studios - EU-Startups - June 17th, 2020
- 'Kosmokrats' Puts Starship-Building in the Hands of a Potato Peeler - Indie Games Plus - June 17th, 2020
- Copy Cats - The New York Times - June 17th, 2020
- The biggest news from the Upload VR Showcase: Summer Edition - Digital Trends - June 16th, 2020
- Ever Forward Interview - The Art Of Designing Narrative-Driven Puzzles - Noisy Pixel - June 16th, 2020
- Games from Iceberg Interactive in the Steam Summer Festival - FULLSYNC - June 16th, 2020
- Unitied, a Minimalist and Relaxing Puzzle Game coming to Switch June 25th - SwitchWatch - June 16th, 2020
- Go To Hell In VR Puzzler Trial By Teng From The Creators Of Form - UploadVR - June 16th, 2020
- Bundle for Racial Justice Closes with 8 Million Raised - Heavy.com - June 16th, 2020
- Surgeon Simulator 2 is Transplanting to the Epic Games Store in August - GameSpew - June 16th, 2020