MONDAY PUZZLE So, an Australian wind instrument, a system of underwater mountains and a wedding attendant walk into a bar and
Sorry, I was just stalling. I needed some extra time to figure out this Monday theme by Stanley Newman. It wasnt immediately apparent, but thankfully, there is a revealer at 62D to help get us in the door.
16A/17A. I liked the twin clue White gemstone for both OPAL and PEARL.
36A. Most people probably know O RINGS as those rubber gaskets, but I remember a time during the late-1970s to early 80s when they were worn as jewelry. I dont know if the singer Madonna started the trend but she definitely made them famous.
Mr. Newman offers us three theme entries that each contain the letters ID twice. For example, the Australian wind instrument at 18A is DIDGERIDOO.
And why are we being asked for two forms of ID? Because apparently, one is not good enough not that I am bitter.
Interesting side note: The entry BRIDESMAID has not appeared in The New York Times Crossword since 1954.
Most of the ideas for the crosswords I make come from a twisty interpretation of everyday things I see, read or hear. The inspiration for todays was just like that seeing two IDs required in a newspaper article. With the assistance of the very constructor-useful onelook.com, I selected the three most lively theme answers available. (Sorry, but ETHIDIUM BROMIDE didnt make the cut.)
While Monday grids with all-easy answers are most easily accomplished with a closed-off grid of maximum answer count (78), I wanted something more intricate for Will, The Times and you. So, wanting to have the IDS revealer as the last Down answer, and opening up the grid as much as this-human-ly possible, I managed to successfully complete todays 74-answer diagram. The 10 Down answers of more than seven letters were a little tricky to accomplish, necessitating the one answer that Id rather not have used (40-Downs NAES), but Will didnt mind it and I hope you didnt either.
For any early-week crossword I make for The Times, the cluing is a tug-of-war challenge. For any puzzle for Will, I always check the database of Times clues, striving for as many new clues as possible. The extra challenge comes from avoiding trickery and ambiguity at the same time.
Will kept the essence of somewhat more than half of my clues; the changed ones were typically made easier with a better-known fact, such as HEIDI as a Project Runway host rather than Mrs. Ted Cruz.
And thats all I have to say about that.
Almost finished solving but need a bit more help? Weve got you covered.
Warning: There be spoilers ahead, but subscribers can take a peek at the answer key.
Trying to get back to the puzzle page? Right here.
- 3 Point And Click Puzzle Games That Are Great For Kids - NPR - January 15th, 2021
- What We Want to See in the New Indiana Jones Game | Game Rant - GameRant - January 15th, 2021
- 20 temporarily free and 26 on-sale apps and games for Wednesday - Android Police - January 15th, 2021
- Out Now: 'Erica - Interactive Thriller', 'Neon Beats', 'Yankai's Diamond', 'Picnic Penguin', 'Onmyoji: The Card Game', 'Basketball vs Zombies', 'The... - January 15th, 2021
- Review: The Pillar: Puzzle escape - Movies Games and Tech - January 15th, 2021
- Review: Professor Lupo: Ocean - Movies Games and Tech - January 15th, 2021
- Save on big games in the latest Nintendo eShop sale - Thumbsticks - January 15th, 2021
- Ford has been inside player Panthers have needed - Arkansas Online - January 15th, 2021
- Actually Chat To Your Own Digital Assistant In Acolyte, The Narrative/Puzzle Game About AI - TheGamer - January 13th, 2021
- The Best Escape Room Game Is Coming To Steam | TheGamer - TheGamer - January 13th, 2021
- CES 2021: The Wowcube is a next-gen puzzle gaming console that I need - Critical Hit - January 13th, 2021
- Daniel Kleffmann's Blog - Collaboration games in the aftermath of COVID-19 - Gamasutra - January 13th, 2021
- Deal: Who Thinks They Can Solve These Areaware Gradient Puzzles? - InsideHook - January 13th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'S.U.M. - Slay Uncool Monsters', 'Epitaph', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - January 13th, 2021
- REVIEW: Luna: The Shadow Dust Updates the Old Adventure Game Genre - CBR - Comic Book Resources - January 9th, 2021
- Pictopix is four years old and still the best Picross game on PC - Rock Paper Shotgun - January 9th, 2021
- Choose Topeka brought him here. Now he's releasing his first video game from the capital city. - The Topeka Capital-Journal - January 9th, 2021
- Puzzling through romance - The Tech - January 9th, 2021
- Metacritics 10 Highest Rated Games, According To User Score - GameRant - January 9th, 2021
- Eight great-looking PC games not to miss in January - PCGamesN - January 9th, 2021
- Screen-free weekend activities for kids: Keep them busy with puzzles, colouring books and more - The Independent - January 9th, 2021
- Five games I wish everyone played in 2020 - Destructoid - January 9th, 2021
- Top mobile apps of 2020: TikTok, Fitbit, Roblox and Among Us lead the way - GeekWire - January 9th, 2021
- The games we're looking forward to in 2021 - Eurogamer.net - January 9th, 2021
- Hitman 3 preview -- Beginning the end of a bloody journey - PC Invasion - January 9th, 2021
- 55 'hidden gems' released on the Switch eShop in 2020 - Destructoid - January 9th, 2021
- Heres Your Chance To Get Your Mobile Game Published And Win SGD$160,000 - IGN Southeast Asia - January 9th, 2021
- Free Guy Might Be The Only Video Game Movie The World Needs - GameRant - January 9th, 2021
- Meet the Puzzle Makers of New York Times Games - The New York Times - January 5th, 2021
- Why Gamers Should Be at the Top of Your Hiring List - Built In - January 5th, 2021
- Good Reads from Brilliant Books: 'The Inheritance Games' by Jennifer Lynn Barnes - 9&10 News - January 5th, 2021
- Oculus Quest Games 2021: Every Title Coming This Year - UploadVR - January 5th, 2021
- VR Puzzler Hyperstacks Will Be Coming To Steam Q2 2021 - Bleeding Cool News - January 5th, 2021
- Why Is Tetris the Most Searched Game Even Today - PVP Live - January 5th, 2021
- Lego Indiana Jones: 5 Things The Games Got Right About The Movies (& 5 They Got Wrong) - GameRant - January 5th, 2021
- Plant a garden, solve puzzles and save the world in these video games - The Japan Times - January 4th, 2021
- The Pillar is Headed to Mobile in 2021 - mxdwn.com - January 4th, 2021
- 36 temporarily free and 73 on-sale apps and games for New Year's Day - Android Police - January 4th, 2021
- 8 Best Games Masahiro Sakurai Worked On That Aren't Super Smash Bros. (According To Metacritic) - TheGamer - January 4th, 2021
- TheGamer Editor's Choices Of 2020 - Eric Switzer | TheGamer - TheGamer - January 4th, 2021
- We're Just Playing: Some Our Favorite Games of the Year - 25YearsLaterSite.com - January 4th, 2021
- Review: Call of the Sea Has Phenomenal Graphics, Somewhat Easy Puzzles - thirdcoastreview.com - December 31st, 2020
- The 10 video games that made 2020 bearable - The Next Web - December 31st, 2020
- Chess.com Puzzle Week 2021: All The Information - Chess.com - December 31st, 2020
- Faheys Top 10 Games Of 2020 - Kotaku Australia - December 31st, 2020
- Wccftechs Best Adventure Games of 2020 Means to Escape - Wccftech - December 31st, 2020
- The Best Video Game of 2020 Taught Me Patience in an Impatient Year - VICE - December 31st, 2020
- Test eyes, hands and mind in soccer board game from Bethel hall-of-famer in Mishawaka - South Bend Tribune - December 31st, 2020
- Hell Sports, Wingspan, Cube Raiders, The Innsmouth Case and the uber-cheap FUZE Player arrive on Switch - Games Asylum - December 31st, 2020
- Smith the problem solver faces tough new puzzle - The Roar - December 31st, 2020
- How To Get The Most Out Of Xbox Game Pass - Kotaku - December 31st, 2020
- Call of the Sea Interview Art Style, Puzzles, Story, and More - GamingBolt - December 28th, 2020
- Professor Lupo: Ocean is a puzzle adventure game that's set to release for iOS, Android and Switch today - Pocket Gamer - December 28th, 2020
- 10 Anime That Are Actually Better As Video Games | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - December 28th, 2020
- Who Wants Candy? - The New York Times - December 28th, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'BIT.TRIP' Series, 'Door Kickers', 'DungeonTop', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - December 28th, 2020
- All 15 Canon Castlevania Games, Ranked Worst To Best - Screen Rant - December 28th, 2020
- The 11 Best Android Puzzle Games of 2020 - DroidGamers - December 27th, 2020
- Review: Rusty Spout Rescue Adventure - Movies Games and Tech - December 27th, 2020
- The 24 Best Upcoming Games on Android in 2021 - DroidGamers - December 27th, 2020
- Rick Carlisle forced to figure out the right pieces to the rebounding puzzle with Porzingis out of the lineup - Dallas Sports Fanatic - December 27th, 2020
- GOTY 2020: The 20 best video games of 2020 - Thumbsticks - December 27th, 2020
- Lets kill Santa! - The A.V. Club - December 26th, 2020
- Nuts & Spire Blast Are Coming Soon To Apple Arcade - Bleeding Cool News - December 26th, 2020
- Our Favorite Crossword Clues of 2020 - The New Yorker - December 26th, 2020
- The best split screen games to play this Christmas - PCGamesN - December 26th, 2020
- The 5 Worst Christmas Games You've Never Heard Of (Or Tried) - TechRaptor - December 26th, 2020
- A Perfect Score or Half of One - The New York Times - December 26th, 2020
- 7 Games To Play With Your Kids Over Christmas - Kotaku - December 26th, 2020
- PlayStation Universe Game Of The Year 2020 Awards - A Complete List Of The Best Games In 2020 - PlayStation Universe - December 26th, 2020
- Escape the Room, Escape the World - The New York Times - December 23rd, 2020
- The Best Indie Games You May Have Missed This Year - WIRED - December 23rd, 2020
- SiNKR 2 Review: Catch of the Day - TheXboxHub - December 23rd, 2020
- A Year Without Hits: Toys Face A Changing Market 12/23/2020 - MediaPost Communications - December 23rd, 2020
- Eight games like Breath of the Wild that you should play - Digital Trends - December 23rd, 2020
- Call of the Sea Review | Game Rant - GameRant - December 23rd, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Double Dragon Neon', 'Landflix Odyssey', 'Override 2', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - December 23rd, 2020
- Best New Switch Games In 2020 By Score - GameSpot - December 22nd, 2020
- Best New PC Games In 2020 By Score - GameSpot - December 22nd, 2020
- Grindstone is One of the Switch's Best Puzzle Games - Goomba Stomp - December 22nd, 2020