Soft Resetting is going back to the games title screen without powering down an entire console or handheld. It's both convenient and simple!
Soft Resetting is basically the ability to go back to the games title screen without powering down an entire console or handheld. Its a huge time saver and was a feature that was more common in a lot of games before the HD era. Some of them were system based while others were designed on a one on one basis with games. For example, Final Fantasy X had a Soft Reset on the original PS2 version all the way up to the latest release of the remaster on Switch.
RELATED: The 10 Most Unused Pokmon Type Combinations In The Franchise
Speaking of the Switch, this feature is where Soft Reset ended for the main Pokmon titles. This is because its much faster to duck in and out of an app on the console rather than shutting the whole thing down. This is all to say that there are three main console lines where this trick is available.
Now, the biggest reason why players use Soft Reset is to find better stats in Pokmon with EV levels. Getting Shiny Pokmon might be easier as well and it just saves time altogether with catching things like legendary Pokmon. Lets explain how to do it along with why this cheat can be beneficial for players in specific circumstances.
First of all, in order to Soft Reset on the Game Boy, all players need to do is press and hold A, B, Start, and Select. This also works for Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance. This means that the Soft Reset trick can work for the first three generations of Pokmon. The games in question include Pokmon Red, Pokmon Blue, Pokmon Yellow, Pokmon Gold, Pokmon Silver, Pokmon Crystal, Pokmon Ruby, Pokmon Sapphire, and finally, Pokmon Emerald. It works for the remakes of the first two games as well. Speaking of the first two games, lets give some examples where Soft Reset can be useful in them.
In Pokmon Red/Blue/Yellow, there are only four legendary Pokmon: Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno, and Mewtwo. This does not include Mew who was obtained through other means. Anyway, fighting these four Pokmon in their designated location is a one shot deal.
RELATED: 10 Early Pokmon Designs Compared To Their Final Versions
If the Pokmon faints, like Zapdos, thats it, no Zapdos for the player. So, it is recommended to save before any of these battles. That way if the Pokmon faints, a Soft Reset can quickly give players another chance.
There are actually two more games for these systems that will work too: Pokmon Trading Card Game and Pokmon Puzzle League. The puzzle game is less hectic but the card game might make the Soft Reset trick worth remembering. Losing a match also means losing cards and that is never fun.
The main game players will want to use this Soft Reset trick for on GameCube isPokmon XD: Gale of Darkness. In order to perform it players will have to press and hold B, X, and Start. This also works for Pokmon Channel although there isnt much use for it in that mini game collection.
RELATED: Pokmon: The 10 Most Badass Women Gym Leaders In The Series, Ranked
Pokmon XD, while celebrated for the time for being more than just a series of battles akin to Pokmon Stadium, is not as fun to go back to now. In a world where a real Pokmon console game exists via Pokmon Sword/Shield, it isnt as special. Still, for those nostalgic, there is the cheat.
Lastly, this is how one can Soft Reset the DS and 3DS portables. Players need to press and hold L, R, Start, and Select. This technique will work on a lot of the core titles including Pokmon Diamond, Pokmon Pearl, Pokmon Platinum, Pokmon Black, Pokmon White, Pokmon X, Pokmon Y, Pokmon Sun, and Pokmon Moon.
These were not mentioned specifically above, but all of the sequels and remakes for the core games, like Pokmon Black 2, will work with Soft Reset as well. Even the Pokmon typing game for the DS has it built in, but most other spinoffs dont.
Anyway, lets get to some strategy tips on the games on where to use Soft Reset starting with the very first entries for the DS line aka Pokmon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. Those three games have some of the most legendary Pokmon packed into one game in any core title up that point that were not tied to outside events.
These Pokmon include the specific version monsters of Dialga or Palkia, as well as Unie, Azelf, Mesprit, Heatran, Regigigas, Giratina, and Cresselia. With only one Master Ball, Soft Reset is a must in order to minimize playtime. It can take a lot of tries and in-turn Pokballs before these monsters can get captured. As is the case for all legendary Pokmon, make sure to have a Pokmon that can can cast a sleeping move along with having a Pokmon with False Swipe. These will help but at the end of the day its all up to the numbers at play.
NEXT: Pokmon: 5 Features From Gold & Silver We Want In A Johto Remake (& 5 We Don't)
Next Animal Crossing: Every Job Isabelle Has Had
Tristan Jurkovich began his career as a journalist in 2011. His childhood love of video games and writing fuel his passion for archiving this great mediums annals. He dabbles in every genre, but hes particularly fond of RPGs and portables. Secretly he enjoys the Just Dance series a little too much. Aside from writing, Tristan also hosts a plethora of shows on his YouTube Channel, ReActionExaminer.
Continue reading here:
Pokemon: A Step-By-Step Guide To Soft Resetting | TheGamer - TheGamer
- The R of R.B.G. - The New York Times - December 1st, 2020
- Five new Steam games you probably missed (November 30, 2020) - PC Gamer - December 1st, 2020
- Starry Garden: Collect Constellations and Adorable Animals - TechAcute - November 29th, 2020
- Every Xbox Series X Launch Game Ranked from Worst To Best (According To Metacritic) - GameRant - November 29th, 2020
- Games with Gold: Gat out of Hell, The Raven Set Their Sights on Xbox Series X Owners - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 27th, 2020
- 9 Online Puzzles That Will Give Your Brain a Workout - Study Breaks - November 27th, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Girabox', 'More Dark', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - November 27th, 2020
- Itch.io's Black Friday sale has Among Us and loads of indie goodies - Rock Paper Shotgun - November 27th, 2020
- The Legend of Bum-bo emerges from the sewer after a very difficult year - PCGamesN - November 27th, 2020
- Global Games and Puzzles Market 2020 to Witness Splendid Growth by 2027: Trefl SA, Springbok Puzzles, Eurographics, Inc., Ravensburger AG, Heye Puzzle... - November 27th, 2020
- Ten Puzzle Games You Must Have Played - Gameindustry.com - GameIndustry.com - November 26th, 2020
- Cook up a storm with this feast of games - Nintendo - November 26th, 2020
- Babe in the Woods - The New York Times - November 26th, 2020
- 'Spirit Of The North Enhanced Edition' Review: An Ethereal Escape - Electric Bento - November 26th, 2020
- Bored Of Playing Multiplayer Games? 7 Alternatives For You To Try - Our Culture - Our Culture Mag - November 26th, 2020
- 5 Memorable Viral Video Games (& 5 That Were Overhyped) - FandomWire - November 26th, 2020
- Home for the Holidays - toys and games | Holiday | unionleader.com - The Union Leader - November 26th, 2020
- First-Person Games vs. Third-Person Games: What Are the Differences? - MakeUseOf - November 26th, 2020
- Local Toy Store Thrive Amid Pandemic's Return To Board Games, Chess And Card Collecting - Rockland County Business Journal - November 26th, 2020
- Conferences join forces on virus testing procedures for refs - The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - November 25th, 2020
- Xbox Live Games with Gold reveals final batch of games for 2020 - SlashGear - November 25th, 2020
- Buffalo Games adds pieces to its puzzle through two deals - Buffalo News - November 25th, 2020
- Satisfying Puzzles And Tunes Make 'Carto' Perfect On The Switch - UPROXX - November 25th, 2020
- Best new mobile games on iOS and Android - November 2020 round-up - Metro.co.uk - November 25th, 2020
- Everyone Has Gone Missing In Point And Click Tiny Room Stories: Town Mystery - TheGamer - November 25th, 2020
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War review: a game as bloated and overwhelming as its name - The Verge - November 25th, 2020
- United Way of Berks County guide has ways you can volunteer or give gifts this holiday season - The Mercury - November 25th, 2020
- The Best PSP Games of All Time - Best gaming pro - November 25th, 2020
- The Latest Games To Play In Indonesia & Win - Inside Pulse - November 25th, 2020
- We reviewed (nearly) every game out now for the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X - The A.V. Club - November 25th, 2020
- Tristan Thompson is the missing piece to the Boston Celtics championship puzzle - NBA IN - November 25th, 2020
- More Dark Is A Puzzle-Platformer 'Intended For Adults', And It Launches On Switch This Week - Nintendo Life - November 25th, 2020
- STAFF OPINION: Hop in, loser. We're warping our sense of reality - The Beacon - November 23rd, 2020
- Rez and Tetris Effect Producer Tetsuya Mizuguchi Working on a "New Adventure with Synesthesia" with Enhance Games - Niche Gamer - November 23rd, 2020
- Mourinho: When the puzzle around him is perfect, Kane is fantastic - AS English - November 23rd, 2020
- Quick Trip to a Store and Back - The New York Times - November 23rd, 2020
- 10 Holiday Gifts to Give Any Game of Thrones Fans Missing the Show - Winter is Coming - November 23rd, 2020
- 'Call of Duty Mobile' & 'Among Us' Will Fight For The Title of Best Mobile Game 2020 - Digital Information World - November 23rd, 2020
- The Greatest Google Stadia Video games for 2020 - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - November 23rd, 2020
- Impact of Covid 19 On Augmented Reality Gaming Market 2020 Industry Challenges Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 - The Market Feed - November 23rd, 2020
- Everything Else Leaked in the Capcom Hack | Game Rant - GameRant - November 23rd, 2020
- 5 Most Memorable Viral Video Games Of All Time (& 5 That Were Really Stupid, Now That We Think About It) - Screen Rant - November 21st, 2020
- TouchArcade Game of the Week: 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead' - Touch Arcade - November 21st, 2020
- Tetris movie officially in the works, will star Rocketman's Taron Egerton - Destructoid - November 21st, 2020
- 3 Of The Hottest Video Games Dropping In December 2020 - Gstyle magazine - November 21st, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity', 'Micetopia', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - November 21st, 2020
- Behind the mask: A chat with the developers of Maskmaker - Blogdottv - November 21st, 2020
- The 30 best iPad games you need to play - The DHT News - November 21st, 2020
- Review: Microsofts new Xbox consoles are powerful and speedy, but are they necessary? - The Dallas Morning News - November 21st, 2020
- Can You Pass The Cranberry Sauce? - FiveThirtyEight - November 21st, 2020
- How a Solo Indie Developer Built the Best Rated Game on Oculus Quest - Road to VR - November 19th, 2020
- DREAMO, A LOVE LETTER TO THE NARRATIVE PUZZLE GENRE - Gamasutra - November 19th, 2020
- Blair Witch: Experience the Horror of the Movie By...Solving Puzzles? - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 19th, 2020
- Out Now: 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead', 'The First Tree', 'Moonlighter', 'One Night at Flumpty's', 'Tomb Toad', 'DeLight: The Journey Home',... - November 19th, 2020
- Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door are free on the Epic Games Store this week - Neowin - November 19th, 2020
- The Pathless review: The joy of the unknown | Entertainment - UT Daily Beacon - November 19th, 2020
- Every PS5 launch game ranked worst to best - Looper - November 19th, 2020
- Call of the Sea sets sail in December - Gamesradar - November 19th, 2020
- 'When the Past was Around' confirmed for launch on Switch / PlayStation and Xbox mid-December 2020 - Gamasutra - November 19th, 2020
- 'Myst' (yes, that 'Myst') is coming back as an Oculus VR game in December - Mashable - November 19th, 2020
- It's Hitman's 20th anniversary, so here are 20 facts about the silly stealth sim - Rock Paper Shotgun - November 19th, 2020
- Xbox head Phil Spencer on video games as a way of life, even for the powerful - CNET - November 18th, 2020
- Agate, Telkom team up for Bali-themed puzzle adventure game - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - November 18th, 2020
- Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 Hands-On Preview (PS4) - Still A Very Good Puzzler At Its Core - PlayStation Universe - November 18th, 2020
- Call of the Sea is an adventure inspired by Lovecraft, but it's no horror game - PC Gamer - November 18th, 2020
- The best family board games - PC Gamer - November 18th, 2020
- Here Are The Games Coming Out In December 2020 - IGN India - November 18th, 2020
- 10 Puzzle Games That Are Impossible To Beat Without A Guide - GameRant - November 15th, 2020
- Video Games to Relax - The New York Times - November 15th, 2020
- Announcing Light The Fires, an award-winning hypercasual puzzle game - Pocket Gamer - November 15th, 2020
- Telling the Difference Between PS5 and PS4 Games Is Next-Gen's Toughest Puzzle - Push Square - November 15th, 2020
- Why the PS5 and Xbox Series X need to break the video game mold - CNET - November 15th, 2020
- Video Games for Relaxation - The New York Times - Aviation Analysis Wing - November 15th, 2020
- WiiWare's Greatest Hits. A celebration of the indie games of | by Shawn Laib | SUPERJUMP | Nov, 2020 - Medium - November 15th, 2020
- Bugsnax review you are what you eat | Games - The Guardian - November 15th, 2020
- Games And Puzzles Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2027|Trusted Business Insights... - November 15th, 2020
- Arkansas women to be tested early in SEC play - Arkansas Online - November 15th, 2020
- The Xbox Series X and the PS5 need to make video games weird and interesting - CNET - November 11th, 2020
- Game IQ the Gold Standard for game analytics and classification - MobileMarketing Magazine - November 11th, 2020
- The Digital Fix Gaming's Generation Awards: Best Puzzle, Simulation, PSVR, and RPG - The Digital Fix - November 11th, 2020