On Jan. 8, 2003, storied New York Mets catcher Gary Carter was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame on his sixth try with 78 percent of the vote. Carter played five seasons with the Mets including the 1986 championship season. Enjoy this fun article about one of Garys most memorable moments!
Keith Hernandez flied out to center for the second out of the inning. A tomb-like silence fell over Shea. Fans stared in disbelief. The 108 regular-season wins plus six more in the post-season meant nothing. Vin Scully announcedMarty Barrettwas chosen player of the game.
And thenNo. 8 stepped to the plate.
In a career that spanned nearly 2,300 games and 8,000 at-bats over 19 seasons, there are many memorable moments. However, the defining moment of his Hall-of-Fame career, what typifiedGary Carter, was something that happened OFF the field.
The Mets are still alive, said Scully as Carter lined a 2-1 offering into left.
In Spring Training 1974, Expos teammatesKen SingletonandMike Jorgensenchided the exuberant rookie. 19-year-old Gary Carter was trying to win every sprint, hit every pitch over the wall. His childlike enthusiasm for the game prompted them to call him The Kid.
As a late September call-up, The Kid made his major league debut. He caught the back end of a doubleheader against the defending NL Champion Mets. He went 0-for-4.
Baseball is and always will be a game of stats. But sometimes even that, no matter how impressive they may be, do not accurately measure the impact of a player. Sure, Gary was an 11-time All-Star, five-time Silver Slugger, two-time MVP of the All-Star Game and winner of three Gold Gloves. He hit 324 career home runs and batted in 1225. But that did not define him.
And the Mets refuse to go quietly, said Vin Scully, afterKevin Mitchellsingled and Carter moved to second.
The road to theChampionship began in 1983. In May, the Mets brought up highly touted rookieDarryl Strawberry. Just weeks later, Frank Cashen sentNeil Allento St. Louis in exchange for former MVP and proven winner Keith Hernandez. 1984 saw the debut of rookie phenom Dwight Gooden. But still, something was missing. The crme de la crme came in December 84 when Gary Carter joined the Mets. He was the final piece of the puzzle, explained Keith.
On April 9, 1985, one day after turning 31, Carter made his debut with the Mets. He hit a solo homer in the 10th inning off of Neil Allen to give the Mets a 6-5 Opening Day victory. With that blast, The Kid won the hearts of Mets fans everywhere. But that moment did not define him.
Gary had an infectious smile. He was the media darling, always willing and ready to give an interview or answer a question. Some referred to him in a derogatory way, calling him Camera Carter, accusing him of being the ultimate self-promoter. He was not that. He was, however, the consummate professional.
During his tenure with the Mets, there were plenty of fist-raising curtain calls. Even when he struck out, hed walk back to the dugout, looking down, shaking his head twice, disappointed with himself, but most likely already planning how to adjust in his next at-bat. But the curtain calls and raised fists did not define him.
Lets be honest. That 1986 team were not exactly boy scouts. They were a bunch of brawling, boozing, hell raisers. Carter, however, was a boy scout. Hell, he even did a commercial for Ivory Soap! But yet, in spite of the fact that Gary may not have fit in with the recklessness of Keith, Darling, Ojeda, Knight, and Strawberry, he was still loved by the fans and respected by his teammates. (anyone rememberGregg Jefferies?). However, this was not his defining trait.
Over a quarter of a century has passed since that fateful Game 6 but we all remember it like it was yesterday. It was our beloved No. 8 who started not only the greatest rally in Mets history, but quite possibly the most amazin comeback ever in a World Series.
In the top of the seventh, Boston took a 3-2 lead and was threatening for more.Rich Gedmansingled through the left side andJim Ricerounded third base.Mookie Wilsonfired a rocket to the plate and Carter executed a perfect tag on Rice to keep the Mets within one. Had Carter not made the tag things would be very different. In the eighth, it was Carters sacrifice fly that tied the game at 3-3. But these were not his defining moments either.
This, however, did define Gary. WhenRay Knight singled, Carter raced home, bringing the Mets to within a run. He stepped on the plate, defiantly pointed at on-deck batter Mookie Wilson. As he entered the dugout, he high fived several players and took a breather. And what did he do then? He looked around for his catching gear!
The Mets were trailing 5-4 with two outs in the bottom of the tenth. But yet, in spite of the team being behind, Gary was preparing to come out for the 11th inning. The entire 86 season, the entire never-say-die attitude of that 86 club, was captured right then and there. What must Boston have thought when they saw that? That one simple act, something Carter did while not even on the field, not only summed up the Mets attitude that year, but more importantly the eagerness of The Kid. He still wanted to play more baseball.
Mookie Wilson said, Gary was one of the happiest guys in the world. I relied on Gary for everything when I was on the mound, said Doc Gooden. He was a warrior on the field. Battery mateRon Darlingsaid, Gary was everything you wanted in a sports hero; great talent, great competitor, great family man and a great friend.
However, it was Garys manager,Davey Johnson, who perhaps summed it up best. I loved him very much. We all did, Davey. And always will. Gary may have worn the blue and orange for only five seasons, but his memories will last a lifetime.
The rest is here:
OTD in 2003: Gary Carter Elected to Hall of Fame - metsmerizedonline.com
- Explore a hole new world in free puzzle game Hole and Box - PC Gamer - February 28th, 2020
- The Room: A Dark Matter Coming to All Major VR Headsets in Late March, Trailer Here - Road to VR - February 28th, 2020
- ART OF THE WEEK | Why You Should Play (or Replay) the Portal Series - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - February 28th, 2020
- Maquette is a daring puzzle sport love story a decade within the making - BingePost - February 28th, 2020
- 'Survivor 40: Winners at War': Who Was Voted Off in Episode 3? The Blindsides Begin at the 4th Tribal Council - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 28th, 2020
- Puzzle No. 3526 - The Nation - February 27th, 2020
- Whitehaven still trying to solve fixtures puzzle - News & Star - February 27th, 2020
- A Good Puzzle to Have for Vance Vice - 247Sports - February 27th, 2020
- MasterPieces To Debut Clifford The Big Red Dog Games and Puzzles Line - aNb Media - February 27th, 2020
- 'Dispatches from Elsewhere': Meet the 4 ordinary people who become 'unwitting participants' in mysterious game - MEAWW - February 27th, 2020
- Baldur's Gate 3 looks great even when everything is going wrong - PC Gamer - February 27th, 2020
- Timelie Is coming To PC, A Beautiful Puzzle Game That Follows The Story Of A Girl And Her Cat - Happy Gamer - February 26th, 2020
- One Of The Most Creepy Puzzle Game Little Nightmares To Release Its part 2 - The Inner Sane - February 26th, 2020
- Prep Regionals Preview: Five Twin Harbors teams play in regionals this weekend - The Daily World - February 26th, 2020
- Neil Cameron: Why the Rangers players have let Steven Gerrard down - HeraldScotland - February 26th, 2020
- How conservatives rigged our politics: Republicans are beating Democrats at a game they dont even know theyre playing - AlterNet - February 26th, 2020
- A wizard themed mystery game is coming to Edinburgh - here's everything you need to know - The Scotsman - February 26th, 2020
- Disc Room for Windows PC is an action game, full of deadly buzzsaws - Polygon - February 24th, 2020
- The Global Online Toys and Games Retailing Market is expected to grow by USD 9.10 bn during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of 10% during the... - February 24th, 2020
- New History Mystery escape game Goin' Up City opens at Museum of Norwich | What's on and things to do in Norfolk - Eastern Daily Press - February 24th, 2020
- Surviving the Season as 2020 Supercross Hits the Halfway Point - Supercross - Racer X Online - February 24th, 2020
- March Madness, but for gamers - University at Buffalo The Spectrum - February 24th, 2020
- Markus Hannikainen traded to the Arizona Coyotes for a conditional pick - The Cannon - February 24th, 2020
- Don Sweeney doesnt land big name, but fills needs - Boston Herald - February 24th, 2020
- Resolved - The New York Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Can You Flip Your Way To Victory? - FiveThirtyEight - February 23rd, 2020
- The puzzle why Millwall seem to perform better against top sides boss gives opinion | - Southwark News - February 23rd, 2020
- 'This Is Us' Fans Think the Time Capsule Reveals How the Series Ends for Randall, Kevin, and Kate - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 23rd, 2020
- Buffalo Games Partners With BuzzFeed To Create Line Of Party Games - Yahoo Finance - February 22nd, 2020
- Goff: Three trades the Wild should consider that don't involve draft picks - SKOR North - February 22nd, 2020
- Astros' Reddick tells of death threats to his children over cheating scandal - The Guardian - February 22nd, 2020
- TFNY: Winning Moves Debuts New Games and Puzzles - The Toy Book - February 21st, 2020
- Exciting New Games And Puzzles From Winning Moves USA - PRNewswire - February 21st, 2020
- inbento, the excellent food-themed puzzle game, will be heading for Nintendo Switch in March - Pocket Gamer - February 21st, 2020
- Kosmokrats Is A New Russian Inspired Zero-Gravity Adventure Puzzle Game That Is Headed Straight For Steam... - Happy Gamer - February 21st, 2020
- Atari launches new mobile games to accelerate its growth and issues new shares with preferential subscription rights in partnership with two... - February 21st, 2020
- InnerSpace: What You Should Know About the Epic Games Store Freebie - CCN.com - February 21st, 2020
- 6 Casino and Slot Game Trends to Be on the Lookout for in 2020 - Net Newsledger - February 21st, 2020
- TFNY: MasterPieces Debuts Clifford the Big Red Dog Puzzle and Game Collection The Toy Book - The Toy Book - February 20th, 2020
- World of Horror is a creepy, retro, and completely hypnotic horror game - The Verge - February 20th, 2020
- Retooling Pistons will use seasons last 25 games to help plot their future, Casey says - Pistons.com - February 20th, 2020
- Survivor: Winners at War Recap: A Fire Token Economy Revamps the Game - TVLine - February 20th, 2020
- Second-Half Surge: Vancouver Whitecaps use pair of second-half goals to coast to win over Revolution - Between The Sticks - February 20th, 2020
- The 6 best and 6 worst Lord of the Rings games - Looper - February 20th, 2020
- Fight Zombie Gorillas and Save Your Spaceship at a VR Hub in a Kensington Warehouse - Broadsheet - February 20th, 2020
- 50 Ideas For Things To Do Around Cleveland In The Cold - Talk Radio 1210 WPHT - February 19th, 2020
- 'I can sense the hurt': Mookie Betts, David Price give World Series hope to Dodgers team hungry for a title - USA TODAY - February 19th, 2020
- Show Interest - The New York Times - February 19th, 2020
- Cavaliers legend Jim Chones loves team bucking small-ball trend: Theres always going to be room for a big man - Akron Beacon Journal - February 19th, 2020
- Video game review: 7th Sector: An inspired sci-fi game from the point of view of a spark - Worcester Telegram - February 18th, 2020
- MouseCraft Will Bring A Blend Of Tetris And Lemmings To Switch Next Week - Nintendo Life - February 18th, 2020
- PATH OF GIANTS Review: Teamwork Makes The Puzzles Work - GameTyrant - February 17th, 2020
- Video Game Makers Want to Get Players Off the Couch - The New York Times - February 17th, 2020
- Fortnite Teasing Next Season's Content With Intercepted Transmission - Screen Rant - February 17th, 2020
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate Will Be Free At Epic Games Store This Week - GameSpot - February 17th, 2020
- Is it just a new ballpark? What to expect from the 2020 Texas Rangers - WFAA.com - February 17th, 2020
- Pass a controller and gear up for these co op games - Nintendo - February 16th, 2020
- Florida teacher shocks Pat Sajak by solving Wheel of Fortune puzzle with only four letters - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - February 16th, 2020
- LCHS girls advances to the NW Regional Championship game with a win over WInfield 47-32 - Times Daily - February 16th, 2020
- Free Online Puzzle Games and Board Games from AddictingGames.com - February 15th, 2020
- Those Who Remain: hands-on with the scary puzzle game - Den of Geek UK - February 15th, 2020
- Leonardo and chess - TheArticle - February 15th, 2020
- Florida teacher shocks Pat Sajak by solving Wheel of Fortune puzzle with only four letters - Apalachicola Times - February 15th, 2020
- Lamar opens new season with win over Rhode Island - 12newsnow.com KBMT-KJAC - February 15th, 2020
- Google announces five new games for Stadia, the first since the cloud service launched - The Verge - February 14th, 2020
- Patterned, the popular Apple Arcade puzzle game, has received some new Valentine's and Spring themed content - Pocket Gamer - February 14th, 2020
- Untitled Goose Game HONKs its way to GOTY at the 2020 DICE Awards - PCGamesN - February 14th, 2020
- Best new mobile games on iOS and Android - February 2020 round-up - Metro.co.uk - February 14th, 2020
- GTFO is a punishing co-op shooter where shooting should be considered a last resort - GamesRadar - February 14th, 2020
- Domingo Santana Adds Power (And Leaky Defense) To The Cleveland Indians Roster - Forbes - February 14th, 2020
- Can you find the engagement ring in this Valentine's Day brainteaser? - Insider - INSIDER - February 14th, 2020
- Zynga's Earnings Report Sends the Stock Up. Will the Rise Continue? - Motley Fool - February 14th, 2020
- Putting the Pieces Together: Florida Baseball Season Preview - ESPN 98.1 FM - 850 AM WRUF - WRUF - February 14th, 2020
- Those Who Remain: Hands-on with the Scary Puzzle Game - Den of Geek US - February 13th, 2020
- How to Solve the Dawn of Fear Chess Piece Puzzle | Game Rant - GameRant - February 13th, 2020
- Apple Arcade gives its games the Valentine's Day treatment - CNET - February 13th, 2020
- Historic & Momentous Weekend Of Hockey In The WCHA - FloHockey - February 13th, 2020
- Xavier and Tamia Tillman prepare to welcome son to family triangle - The State News - February 13th, 2020
- Here's what you need to buy to play Half-Life: Alyx on March 23 - The Next Web - February 13th, 2020
- Smart Toys and Games Debuting New Products at Toy Fair, Booth 2835 - Yahoo Finance - February 13th, 2020