The Medium recently released for Xbox Series X/S and PC, treating fans to a new psychological horror game where they can switch between two worlds, the real world, and the spirit realm. The game is filled with mystery, intrigue, its fair share of jump scares, and still leftenough loose ends for a possible sequel.
RELATED:10 Things We Wish We Knew Before Starting The Medium
If you're looking for more horror titles to make you jump, there are some absolute classic titles that have been around for years. Check out these top ten horror games to play if you love being scared.
Clock Tower released in 1995 and blended the survival horror and point-and-click genres together to create a puzzle game with plenty of tension. The player takes on the role of Jennifer, one offour orphans that have been adoptedand taken to a mansion named "Clock Tower".
However, the orphans start being murdered by Scissorman, the game's main antagonist. When confronted with Scissorman, Jennifer cannot fight back and instead must run and hide. Clock Tower has multiple endings and items are randomly placed on each playthrough, giving the game plenty of replay value.
The Alone in the Dark series began all the way back in 1992 on PC and had multiple sequels before being rebooted asAlone in the Dark: The New Nightmare in 2001. The game followsEdward Carnby and Aline Cedrac as they explore Shadow Island, hoping to discover three ancient tablets and to solve the mystery of the bizarre evil creatures that reside there.
Players are able to choose which protagonist they play as, with Carnby's route offering a more action-packed playthrough withlots of combat, whereas Cedrac's route is more reliant on puzzle-solving skills.
Condemned: Criminal Origins released in 2005 for the Xbox 360, before releasing a year later for PC players too. The game follows Ethan Thomas in his search for Serial Killer X, who is responsible for framing Ethan for the murder of two police officers.
RELATED:10 Tame Horror Games For Easily-Scared Players
Condemned offers a brilliant mix of combat and puzzle-solving elements, and players must uncover clues and evidence in their surroundings by using Ethan's instincts as a crime scene investigator. Not to mention,this all has to be done while fending off attacks from the local citizens who have become psychotic.
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem released for the Gamecube in 2002 and was the first M-rated game to be released by Nintendo. Though the game was similar to other survival horror titles of its time, notably Resident Evil, it offered unique elements that made it stand out from the crowd.
The game takes place in four differentlocations; the Forbidden City temple in Persia, aKhmer temple in Cambodia,Oublie Cathedral in France, and the underground city ofEhn'gha, and each time a location is visited, it is in a different time period. The game chapters are not in chronological order, and the game also featured "Sanity Effects", which can cause reality to become skewed for the characters.
Siren Blood Curse released as an exclusive for the PlayStation 3 in 2008, and it was the third and final title in the Siren series.Siren Blood Curse was a reimaging of the first title in the series, with many key elements of the first game surviving, but a lot of characters and eventsbeing added, as well as borrowing features from the second Siren game too.
This horror survival game follows an American TV crew as they travel to Hanuda in Japan to do aspecial show on the local urban legend of the vanishing village. Siren Blood Curse also featured a uniqueSight-Jack System, which allowed players to switch between the view ofthe hunted characters and the hunters.
F.E.A.R. released in 2005 for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC and offered players a survival horror FPS experience. The game follows theF.E.A.R. (First Encounter Assault Recon) team as they investigate a new paranormal threat, all of which seems to revolve around a strange girl by the name of Alma.
The game has a "reflex time" feature that allows players to slow time down for the world, while the player is still able to move about freely. This ability is actually used to simulate the protagonist's superhuman reflexesand speed.
Parasite Eve released in 1998 and while it's more commonly referred to as an action RPG, it has plenty of survival horror elements to it. The game serves as a prequel to the novel of the same name byHideaki Sena.
RELATED:10 Best Japanese Horror Games, Ranked According To Metacritic
The game followsAya Brea of the NYPD and takes place over six days, with Aya fightingto stop a strange woman who calls herself Eve from destroying the human race by makinghumans spontaneously combust.
Dead Spaceis a horror survival game that released for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC in 2008, and was successful enough to have two sequels and more than one spin-off game. Players take on the role ofIsaac Clarke, an engineer aboard a mining spaceship that has become overrun by creatures known as Necromorphs.
Players must solve puzzles, fight off attacking Necromorphs, and find equipment to stay alive all while Isaac struggles to hold onto his own sanity. New Game+ offers extra replay value as Isaac can discover newvideo and audio logs that add more lore.
The first Resident Evil title released in 1996 and was a critical and commercial success, resulting in a massively popular franchise being born that continues to this day. This survival horror gamefollows a special task force who aretrapped within a mansion with horrifying, mutated creatures.
Players must uncover the mystery behind the mansion and the strange abominations within, while also looking to escape and save themselves. Clues can be found in the form of notes and documents, and players also have to solve puzzles while surviving zombie attacks.
Silent Hill released for the PlayStation in 1999 and was the first of what would go on to become a hit survival horror series with multiple sequels. The game follows Harry Mason as he searches for his missing adopted daughter, but ends up uncovering the dark secret behind the town of Silent Hill.
The game used a lot of fog to cover up the technological limitations of the console at the time, but fans didn't mind, as this all added to the eerie and creepy environment.
Next:The 10 Best Horror Games Of 2020, According To Metacritic
Next Which Animal Crossing Character Shares Your Birthday In March?
Meg appreciates gaming on all formats but primarily spends her time achievement hunting to the extreme. Her passion for gaming began as a child when first introduced to the Amstrad.
- 11 new Android games from the last week: The best, worst, and everything in between (3/29/21 - 4/4/21) - Android Police - April 4th, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 4th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Dungeon & Puzzles', 'Stick Fight: The Game', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - April 4th, 2021
- The Three Best and Worst Games of March 2021 - COGconnected - April 4th, 2021
- Google Play Pass now has over 800 games, apps - HT Tech - April 4th, 2021
- The Easiest Ways to Boost Your Gamerscore from the Xbox Games of March 2021 - TheXboxHub - April 4th, 2021
- Game of the Month: March 2021's Best PS5, PS4 Games - Pure PlayStation - April 4th, 2021
- This Weeks VR Game Roundup: New Archery Game, Kitchen Island VR - VR Fitness Insider - April 4th, 2021
- Best New Android Games This Week: The Wake, Quick Fire, Dual Summoners, and More - DroidGamers - April 4th, 2021
- It Takes Two review: This is how it runs on PC - Laptop Mag - April 4th, 2021
- Pillars of Active Aging - Old School Puzzles And Games To Promote Active Aging Brain Health - LNP | LancasterOnline - March 4th, 2021
- Tvinnr: Basic tips to help you enjoy this relaxing puzzle game - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- Maquette is a neat puzzle game that packs an emotional punch - The Next Web - March 4th, 2021
- Our most anticipated indie games of 2021 - Rock Paper Shotgun - March 4th, 2021
- MonkeyBox 2: Cards! is an upcoming puzzle adventure game for iOS from TheCodingMonkeys - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- Play with Gravity in Gravifire on Xbox and Switch - TheXboxHub - March 4th, 2021
- Lovin Games Weekly - There is a new Aliens game on the way - Lovin Dublin - March 4th, 2021
- It Takes Two Isn't Focusing on Replayability, Won't Have Collectibles - GameRant - March 4th, 2021
- The Video Games to Play This Month: Get Tiny with Maquette, It Takes Two, and More! - The Portland Mercury - March 4th, 2021
- 50% Kemco RPG and Puzzle Games on PS Store - GLYFE Nation - March 4th, 2021
- Worst Pokmon Spin-off Games Nintendo Should Never Remake - Screen Rant - March 4th, 2021
- Super Rare Games giving immersive puzzle game Creaks a physical Switch release next week - GoNintendo - March 4th, 2021
- Every Uncharted Game, Ranked Worst To Best | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - March 4th, 2021
- 10 Games We Need To See On PSVR2 That Could Actually Happen On PS5 - TheGamer - March 4th, 2021
- PC Review - 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead' - WorthPlaying.com - March 4th, 2021
- The Next Hawks Coach Will Have to Solve the Trae Young Puzzle - The Ringer - March 4th, 2021
- Sponsored: 5 games that make you think like a programmer - Gamasutra - March 4th, 2021
- Inked review - "If only looks were everything" | Articles - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- From Portal to Witcher 3: The games people cheat at the most! - European Gaming Industry News - March 4th, 2021
- 5 Best PC Boxing games to play in 2021 - Gameranx - March 4th, 2021
- What Are the Most Popular Types of Mobile Game? | TechQuila - TechQuila - February 19th, 2021
- The Legend of Zelda games ranked! - The Guardian - February 19th, 2021
- Wordsmyth is a beautiful daily word game coming soon to iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - February 19th, 2021
- Review: She Remembered Caterpillars - Movies Games and Tech - February 19th, 2021
- Artie raises $10 million as it pivots to make instant games - VentureBeat - February 19th, 2021
- Fortnite Creative gets callout for puzzles and platformers - AltChar - February 19th, 2021
- Top 10 games to download and play first on your new Apple iPhone - Gadget Bridge - February 19th, 2021
- Outer Wilds launches this summer on Nintendo Switch - Shacknews - February 19th, 2021
- Steam Developer Banned After Trying to Trick Users About Positive Reviews - VICE - February 19th, 2021
- Global Games and Puzzles Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Key Drivers, Business Strategy, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 Express Keeper - Express... - February 19th, 2021
- Game stores seeing an increase in new customers since the COVID-19 pandemic - WeAreGreenBay.com - February 17th, 2021
- The First 10 Games Released On The PS2 (In Chronological Order) - TheGamer - February 17th, 2021
- Zynga Expects Its Mobile Gaming Empire to Grow More Than 30% In 2021 - Motley Fool - February 17th, 2021
- 8 Underrated Open-World Games (That Came Out In The Last 5 Years) - GameRant - February 17th, 2021
- The Room 4: Old Sins Is Out For PC, And Prettier Than Ever - Kotaku - February 17th, 2021
- Knight's Retreat Review - Chess but not! - TheXboxHub - February 17th, 2021
- Soapbox: We Were Here, the Free PS4 Game No One Will Play with Me - Push Square - February 17th, 2021
- PS5 : HuniePop 2, another title that joins Twitch's list of banned games - Explica - February 17th, 2021
- 10 VR Games That Don't Give You Motion Sickness - TheGamer - February 17th, 2021
- 10 Things You Never Knew About The Origins Of Tetris | Game Rant - GameRant - February 17th, 2021
- Games of the week: The Medium, Spire Blast, Encodya and Solas 128 - Inverness Courier - February 17th, 2021
- Nokia 5.4 review this ones for the stock Android fans on a tight budget - Business Insider India - February 17th, 2021
- Thorny Puzzle Title Room To Grow Is Coming To PC This Month - Bleeding Cool News - February 14th, 2021
- Imaginative Puzzle Game QV Heading To Steam | TheGamer - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- 10 Open World Games That Have No Combat | Game Rant - GameRant - February 14th, 2021
- Schell Games Talks I Expect You To Die 2 And VR's Future - UploadVR - February 14th, 2021
- ConnecTank Is a Multiplayer Tank Battle and Puzzle Game Coming This Fall - SuperParent - February 14th, 2021
- Best Valentines Day games for couples: top titles to play with your loved one - TechRadar - February 14th, 2021
- Outer Wilds And The Best Games That Use Time Loops - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- The Most Peaceful Games of 2020, Ranked | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- Best new mobile games on iOS and Android this February - Metro.co.uk - February 14th, 2021
- PS4 Update: Download This New F2P PlayStation 4 Game - RealSport101 - February 14th, 2021
- The Best Free PC Games of Multiple Category in 2021 - TechnoSports - February 14th, 2021
- The DeanBeat: Has the game industry hit its peak with crazy valuations or just begun its growth? - VentureBeat - February 14th, 2021
- Video game review: 'The Medium' a messy horror game with inventive puzzles - telegraphherald.com - February 14th, 2021
- TouchArcade Game of the Week: 'Knightin'+' - Touch Arcade - February 14th, 2021
- Numskull Games Offers Sneak Peek At Upcoming Titles, Reveals RICO London - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- Recursive Puzzle Game, Maquette, to be Released in March - mxdwn.com - February 11th, 2021
- Tackle thorny problems in 'Room to Grow' a plant pushing puzzle game launching on Steam for PC & Mac 25th February 2021! - Gamasutra - February 11th, 2021
- PS5 and PS4 free game bonus: Grab a friend and download co-op puzzler for free - Express - February 11th, 2021
- Somethings Fishy About This Steam Games Very Positive Reviews - Kotaku - February 11th, 2021
- Human Fall Flat Was Originally Designed To Be Portal Meets Limbo - TheGamer - February 11th, 2021
- Tilting Point will invest up to $60 million in user acquisition for Loop Games Match 3D game - VentureBeat - February 11th, 2021
- Every App And VR Game Coming To Oculus App Lab For Quest - UploadVR - February 11th, 2021
- Nuts Review- Hiding Above the Trees, Looking For Squirrels - DualShockers - February 11th, 2021
- A bit about our currently nameless game company, and what we're working on at the moment - Gamasutra - February 11th, 2021
- 'Breath Of The Wild' Reinvented Zelda Games. 'Bowser's Fury' Does That For Mario - Mashable India - February 11th, 2021
- Slipways was the best demo in the Steam Games Festival, but it's gone now - Rock Paper Shotgun - February 9th, 2021
- Move Over, Mother 3 - THESE Nintendo Games Should Be Localized Too - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 9th, 2021
- Solve puzzles in a recursive world where everything is simultaneously tiny and massive - PC Gamer - February 9th, 2021