When the stay-at-home orders began in mid-March, many Americans made beelines for their local animal shelters to either foster or adopt adorable dogs.
All over the country, shelters normally faced with the terrible task of euthanizing unwanted animals because their kennels were overflowing were able to happily report that their cages were nearly bare.
Dog trainer-to-the stars and animal behaviorist Csar Milln you know him as the Dog Whisperer has no doubt that the dogs were fostered or adopted into loving homes. His question is whether these new pet parents are committed to the long-term task of caring for their new family members, a commitment that requires more discipline and mental stimulation than a steady diet of kisses and treats.
In May, L.A. municipal animal shelter officials said they were worried about a resurgence in pet drop-offs, in part because of COVID-19 job losses that have made it difficult for people to afford pets. Los Angeles Animal Services announced June 3 that they were opening two pet food pantries. Assistance is by appointment only at the city agencys shelters in Chesterfield Square and East Valley.
Adopting a dog to keep you company in isolation is like getting married for all the wrong reasons or having children for the wrong reasons, said Milln, who will begin filming another 10 episodes of his popular Dog Whisperer TV show in July. When the human response is to think of yourself first, then the outcome in the future is not going to be good.
If someone has a puppy and that puppy is a problem, then the owner wasnt honest from the beginning, Milln said. People say, Im going to get a puppy. (But) I dont know what Im doing. I dont know if I want to care for them for 13 or 14 years, and I dont know how much it will cost I just know I want a puppy. Dogs hold on to honor, integrity, loyalty, trust, respect and love so that puppy knew the moral code was broken from the moment it was adopted.
Dogs are pack animals that instinctively look for a leader, and if their humans dont provide that leadership then the dogs get confused and lose respect, especially if their bad behaviors are rewarded with endless treats and affection.
Humans are the only species who follow unstable leaders, said Milln, who still trains dogs at his Santa Clarita ranch, Cesars Way. Dogs live in a way thats natural, simple and profound. If your energy is not aligned if you live in chaos and are not calm, they will not follow you. Theyll learn to live with it, but that doesnt mean theyre OK.
For instance, he said, if your dog jumps on you, you can interpret that as, Oh, my dog loves me, but eventually, its going to be a problem for you and anyone else who comes around. Dogs need boundaries, just like children, Milln said, but if your energy is off, if youre not calm and full of love and joy, they can ignore you.
Dogs basically have three reactions, he said fight, flight (or avoidance) and submission or surrender. Submission is the place you want them to be, because nobody listens when theyre in fight or flight mode. When Oprah is on TV, all those woman are in the surrender state, Milln said. Thats the most powerful state of mind, because youre listening, surrendering to information. Its what people call openminded.
Milln worries that many new dog owners dont know these things and that they may be getting frustrated with their pets because of their pesky behaviors or the time it takes to walk them every day. Maybe the humans are planning to return to work soon and their dogs are causing trouble at home, especially when theyre gone.
The trick, Milln said, isnt in training the dogs but ourselves. I train people, he said, and rehabilitate dogs. I try to bring consciousness to the humans.
For instance, Americans tend to smother their dogs with affection. That makes the owners happy but doesnt do much for their pets. Dogs in third world countries are skinny, but they dont have psychological problems, Milln said. My clients all have empathy and compassion love is not the problem. But theyre not giving their dogs any exercise or mental stimulation.
In fact, he said, the coronavirus quarantines have given us a glimpse of what life was like for our dogs pre-pandemic, when they were stuck at home, inside all day while we were away. But they never said, Im quitting, I dont want to live with you, Im going to send you to a shelter because youre boring. They know how to adapt and they suck it up, regardless of how inconsistent you are, unconscious you are and how much you dont know.
Bottom line: The biggest problem with problem dogs is the ignorance of their owners, said Milln. But dont lose heart. Because your dog is committed to the relationship, you can turn things around by putting its needs first body, mind and heart, a.k.a. exercise, discipline and affection in that order.
Thats how the Marines do it. Thats how Olympians do it, Milln said. The celebration happens after the body and mind have been taken care of.
Here are the Dog Whisperers 5 tips for having the chillest pup in the neighborhood
1. EXERCISE FIRST
The first thing many dog owners do in the morning is drag out the kibble and feed their antsy dogs, maybe let them out to pee for a few minutes and then race off to work. But thats not what the dog needs, Dog Whisperer Csar Milln said. When your dog wakes up the morning, the first thing it needs is to stretch and then walk not eat.
Imagine sending all the kids in the world to Chuck E. Cheese first thing in the morning, and then asking them to behave, he said. If you give me Chuck E. Cheese in the morning and leave me alone, Im going to destroy your entire house, because you left me excited, not tired.
By walking your dog first, for at least 45 minutes, you are giving your pet a chance to expend its pent-up energy, stimulate its mind and earn its food, Milln said. Breakfast comes after the walk You feed them because they earned it; youre giving them their paycheck.
2. WHOS THE BOSS?
Taking a walk is also a good time to establish that you are the leader of your pack. This means teaching the dog that it stops when you want to stop and walks next to or behind you, instead of pulling or yanking you along. The trick is in controlling the dogs nose, Milln said.
Using a leash like the Gentle Leader will keep the dog from sniffing everything as it goes along, until you say its OK to stop and sniff or relieve itself. If the dog can stop and sniff at will, youve lost them. If humans lose the nose, they lose control.
3. WORK THEM WELL
Milln recommends at least 45 minutes of morning walking for older, lower energy dogs and up to two hours for high energy dogs. What if you have a combination of both? Milln used to have 65 dogs at his Santa Clarita ranch, and he learned that the high energy dogs needed extra weight to slow them down so they didnt leave the slower ones behind.
So if you have a high-energy dog, give it a backpack to wear during walks, filled with something soft, like rice, dried beans or sand, that is the equivalent to 50% of their weight. (So a 22-pound dog would carry 11 pounds). That way, a one-hour walk turns into (the equivalent of) a two-hour workout for a high-energy dog.
4. KEEP THINGS CALM
When you return home at night, dont immediately jump up and down with your dog. Start a ritual of calm. If thats how you welcome your dog every night, with him jumping on you and barking, hes going to do that with everyone who comes in the door, Milln said. Instead, when you walk in, let your dogs smell you but dont acknowledge them, touch them or make eye contact for many minutes, until they are calm.
By practicing calmness, hes learning how to read people. He has all that eight to 10 hours of accumulated boredom, anxiety and frustration from being inside all day, but he can learn how to meet people in a calm way. And once he relaxes completely, then you can hug him, give him a treat and go back to being calm.
5. CHOOSE TOYS WISELY
This shouldnt be a news flash to anyone whos been staying home the last three months, but things can get pretty boring when youre home alone all day. Boredom and anxiety can lead to less-than-desirable behaviors, such as incessant barking or chewing up the furniture. The trick is finding toys that stimulate a dogs mind, such as Nina Ottosson puzzle games and other brain toys, and changing them up regularly so your dog doesnt get bored.
Avoid squeaky toys, which can cause dogs to go into a frenzy, Milln said: Now youre bringing the animal out. To them, its the equivalent of hunting, so theyre killing and not playing anymore. We want to have toys that bring out the domesticated stuff, where the dog regains its calm and surrender, its happy-go-lucky state of play.
- Four Text-Based Adventure Games That Modernize the Genre | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - August 10th, 2020
- Best new mobile games on iOS and Android August 2020 round-up - Metro.co.uk - August 10th, 2020
- Mobile Game Developer Zynga is on an M&A Frenzy as it Announces Another Acquisition after Reporting Record Q2/2020 Revenues - Baystreet.ca - August 10th, 2020
- 15 new Android games from the week of August 3, 2020 - Android Police - August 10th, 2020
- The best games on Google Play Pass - Engadget - August 10th, 2020
- Crossword creator tests faith knowledge, sees games as way to evangelize - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - August 10th, 2020
- The Greatest Indie Video games on Nintendo Swap (August 2020) - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Alto Collection Announced For PC And Consoles, Free On Epic Games Store For Limited Time - GameSpot - August 10th, 2020
- Reviewing the games of Samsung's Tizen App Store - PC World - August 10th, 2020
- 7 calming online games that will help you destress in-between or after work - GQ India - July 9th, 2020
- These are the games announced by PlayStation Indies - Checkersaga - July 9th, 2020
- Top 25 best JRPGs on Android | Articles - Pocket Gamer - July 9th, 2020
- Augmented Reality Gaming Market 2020: Comparative Analysis by Top Key Players Aurasma, Catchoom, Wikitude Infinity Augmented Reality, Blippar - Cole... - July 9th, 2020
- Gravity-defying puzzle platformer Sky Beneath is coming to PC and consoles in 2021 - Gamasutra - July 8th, 2020
- The Highly-Acclaimed Forced-Perspective Puzzle Game, SUPERLIMINAL, Is Now Available on Consoles! - GamingLyfe Network - July 8th, 2020
- 'Creepy Tale' coming to the Nintendo Switch this month - Micky News - July 8th, 2020
- The very best of new Nintendo Switch announcements - AltChar - July 8th, 2020
- Professor Layton and the Lost Future HD comes sleuthing onto mobile July 13 - Destructoid - July 8th, 2020
- Entertainment Video Games Market with Report In Depth Industry Analysis on Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast till 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Superliminal Review Shifting My Perspective on Puzzles - DualShockers - July 7th, 2020
- Mathematicians tried to prove how hard The Witness is - with surprising results - Eurogamer.net - July 7th, 2020
- Nintendo Switch: The 10 Most Relaxing Games To Play (That Aren't Animal Crossing) - TheGamer - July 7th, 2020
- A surprising solution to the (in)famous "Cross the Network" puzzle - Boing Boing - July 7th, 2020
- Release Radar: Our pick of the week's best TV, movies, and games (July 6 - 12) - GamesRadar+ UK - July 7th, 2020
- Professor Layton and the Unwound Future is coming to iOS and Android on July 13 - Android Police - July 7th, 2020
- Play with Perceptions in Superliminal - TheXboxHub - July 7th, 2020
- SINoALICE is a beautiful game from the creator of NieR:Automata [Android Game of the Week] - Android Central - July 7th, 2020
- Professor Layton 3, Which Is Maybe The Best One, Coming To Mobile Soon - GameSpot - July 7th, 2020
- The best educational apps to stay sharp throughout the school year - Engadget - July 7th, 2020
- Last chance to save in the PlayStation Store Mid-Year sale - Thumbsticks - July 7th, 2020
- 'Professor Layton 3' is coming to both iOS and Android next week - Micky News - July 7th, 2020
- Save on Animal Crossing and Mario Party with Julys My Nintendo rewards - Thumbsticks - July 7th, 2020
- 10 of The Best Dreamcast Games that Stayed in Japan | TheGamer - TheGamer - July 5th, 2020
- Epic Games Store Reveals its Next Three Free Games! - eTeknix - July 5th, 2020
- Call Of Duty League Championship Will Be Held Online | Ydraft - Ydraft - July 5th, 2020
- 10 Forgotten Puzzle Games You Need To Play | Game Rant - GameRant - July 5th, 2020
- Steven Davis on the Rangers form puzzle they must solve as midfielder urges teammates to put down 'markers' - Daily Record - July 5th, 2020
- The 24 best video games of all time - Mashable - July 3rd, 2020
- Another Professor Layton puzzle-adventure is coming to iOS this month - Cult of Mac - July 3rd, 2020
- The Witcher: Top 10 Hardest Puzzles From The Games | Game Rant - GameRant - July 3rd, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Animal Crossing: New Horizons' Update is Available, 'Clash Force' and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - July 3rd, 2020
- These 10+ Games Are Coming To Xbox One Next Week (July 7-10) - Pure Xbox - July 3rd, 2020
- Q&A: About the upcoming print and e-paper edition changes at the West Central Tribune - West Central Tribune - July 3rd, 2020
- The 9 worst scientists in PC games - Rock Paper Shotgun - July 3rd, 2020
- Creaks, a trippy 2D puzzle game, arrives on PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC in July - Daily Star - July 3rd, 2020
- The recursive world simulation & puzzle-making process in Maquette - PlayStation.Blog - July 3rd, 2020
- Maquette Will Bring Mind-Bendingly Clever Recursive Puzzles To PS5, PS4, And PC This Year - GameSpot - July 3rd, 2020
- How citizen scientists and video games are taking on Covid-19 - RTE.ie - July 3rd, 2020
- Felix The Reaper Comes To Life on iOS - GameSpace.com - July 3rd, 2020
- Turok and Grip highlight free games for Twitch Prime members this July - PC Invasion - July 3rd, 2020
- Incredibly Innovative Puzzle Game Carto Comes To PS4 This Fall - PlayStation Universe - July 1st, 2020
- This Doctor Who Sliding Puzzle Game Is Driving Me Insane and I Can't Stop Playing It - Gizmodo - July 1st, 2020
- Made in the USSR: 6 video games Soviets went crazy over - Russia Beyond - July 1st, 2020
- Adventure/puzzle game 'Carto' heading to Switch - GoNintendo - July 1st, 2020
- 10 Fantastic Disney Games From The 16-Bit Era | TheGamer - TheGamer - July 1st, 2020
- Top 10 Addictive Games That Can Help You Cure Boredom at the Workplace - ThisisXbox - July 1st, 2020
- With dinnertime singing and 1,000-piece puzzles, the Portland Thorns are settling into the bubble before faci - OregonLive - July 1st, 2020
- Games to Watch Out For This July GameSpew - GameSpew - June 30th, 2020
- Shelter Tails: Whoever adopts Hank will need a sense of humor - Times Herald-Record - June 30th, 2020
- Apple just unveiled its picks of the best iPad and iPhone apps of the year - here they are - TechRadar - June 30th, 2020
- Doctor Who fans are losing their minds over the new Thirteen Doctors game - RadioTimes - June 30th, 2020
- THOSE WHO REMAIN Review: Fear Of The Dark And Heavy Decisions - GameTyrant - June 30th, 2020
- Five new Steam games you probably missed (June 29, 2020) - PC Gamer - June 29th, 2020
- The Almost Gone Review - New Game Network - June 29th, 2020
- Power-Ups - The New York Times - June 29th, 2020
- United Fresh LIVE! Badge, Puzzle and Trivia winners announced - FreshPlaza.com - June 29th, 2020
- Review: Neversong's Moody Nightmare World Doesn't Strike the Right Chords - thirdcoastreview.com - June 29th, 2020
- How Xbox Series X Game Call Of The Sea Uses The Console's Power - GameSpot - June 29th, 2020
- The best new Android and iOS apps you should download this week - AndroidPIT - June 28th, 2020
- Nintendo Switch free games news: Two unmissable free downloads have just hit the eShop - Express - June 28th, 2020
- Apple Arcade needs games made with iPads in mind - heres why - TechRadar - June 28th, 2020
- Here's what we played during the Steam Game Festival Part 2 - GTOGG - June 28th, 2020
- Here are the discussions you missed in the PC Gamer forums this week - PC Gamer - June 28th, 2020
- Puzzler Superliminal Releasing July 7th - Pure PlayStation - June 26th, 2020
- THE ALMOST GONE Review: An Intriguing Puzzle Game With A Haunting Tale - GameTyrant - June 26th, 2020
- The Almost Gone review dreamlike puzzles unlock a world of dark unease - The Guardian - June 26th, 2020
- Urban Flow is coming tomorrow, 26th of June! - GamingLyfe Network - June 26th, 2020
- European eShop releases for the week of June 25th, 2020 - GoNintendo - June 26th, 2020
- Uncover the truth behind the dioramas of The Almost Gone , now available! - Gamasutra - June 26th, 2020
- Blair Witch, Mr. DRILLER DrillLand, Ninjala, Duke Nukem 3D, and SpongeBob Rehydrated hit the Switch - Games Asylum - June 26th, 2020