This past Tuesday afternoon we were able to enjoy one of the most curious and cool indie game directives that I remember: the Wholesome Direct 2020. A totally cute and adorable style independent game display. The word per se already says it, wholesome means good for you, so we already know where the shots go. Direct to action!
The premise of this game is simple and funny: a group of friends trying to save their favorite arcade game from disappearing. Low poly aesthetics and a hybrid gameplay where you advance in the story playing arcade games in a world made up of diagrams. That is Button City.
Three-dimensional Zelda-like with that aspect shared by all the games in the Wholesome Direct 2020. In Errand Boy we manage the errand boy, who with his travels as a delivery man must save the world. Almost almost Death Stranding, come on.
What is this cute thing? This is Ooblets !, a farm simulator with a Pokemon component by collecting the adorable little ooblets. An early access that I did not remember what was going on until a colleague refreshed it for me.
An old acquaintance receives a new update. After receiving more than a million letters, all of love, hope and encouragement, Kind Words returns to continue bringing love to the world (and right now it is needed).
Following of the farm simulators presented. On this occasion, the aesthetics makes it stand out, for those 3D elements in contrast to the pixel-art of the characters. Snacko also combines them with exploration elements that give the game more depth.
Of the games presented, certainly the ones I liked the most. An adventure game where you must paint the world to save it from evil darkness (the color black). For some reason, Chicory reminds me of the DS Draw my Live game, and see that I know they have nothing to do with it.
In this game we will take control of Lila, a mouse who must help the inhabitants of her city after a strange encounter with a spirit. From what you see in the trailer, The Spirit and the Mouse looks like a puzzle game with exploration, but I have no idea. It certainly looks pretty.
I had to read what the game was about because with the trailer I am not particularly clear. Spiritfarer a kind of Charon simulator where we take a ship that travels the world, we become friends with the spirits we collect and in the end, we leave them in the afterlife, all mixed with exploration and adventure. Rare, but curious at least and one of the most cool to me.
Curious that a constant in the Wholesome Direct 2020 its farm games and saving the world with friends. In this case Sayri welcomes the second option with a puzzle game where we control aliens with telekinetic powers to save themselves from an unknown danger.
Ok, this is another one that has caught my attention the most. A museum construction and management simulator. I dont know why, really, but I really want to throw the glove on Mondo Museum, it made me especially funny.
I have absolutely no idea that Bird Alone is going. According to his description, an introspective game about the meaning of life with a parrot as companions. Also, you repopulate a jungle or something. I want what that man takes, seriously.
Another of the coolest games (my opinion) presented. This time it is a kind of Stardew Valley but where instead of farms we have a magical village, In Little Witch in the Woods we take control of Ellie (no, not that Ellie) and we will accompany her while exploring her environment, making friends and becoming into a real witch. I find it super cool.
A photography game in shades of gray. TOEM transports us to two-dimensional scenarios inspired by Scandinavian landscapes to, camera in hand, transform them into 3D spaces where we can take our photos and share them with the world.
A puzzle game for Apple devices that you can find right now in the Apple Arcade. In Winding Worlds you will have to solve puzzle after puzzle to advance in the story and save both you and the other beings you meet and return home.
I havent seen an augmented reality game since Invizimals time, and this one has certainly amused me. Tokotoko is an augmented reality puzzle game where we must draw with paper and pencil to solve the riddles that will lead Hako to find his friends.
A hand drawn point-and-click lifelong graphic adventure. When the Past was Around tells us a story of love, loss and all the feelings we find in between when these things happen. That has happened to (almost) everyone, so it is easy to feel identified, and also the art is very cool.
Mokijen, the same study that develops the aforementioned When the Past was Around, takes off this second game that has been in development for four years. A Space for the Unbound is another graphic adventure, but different from the previous one. In this case, the plot is set in Indonesia 30 years ago, where two students must solve the supernatural mysteries that plague their city.
Those of you who know the developer studio of The Book of Travels know that there is quality. And also, it is that Might and Delight is anniversary because they are ten years old, which seems like a lie. This time they present us with an open world game with that aesthetic that makes them so well known and with a very strong online component. The adventure that you live is unique, and you can play it with friends or alone, you rule in your story.
Another adventure game in this Wholesome Direct 2020 and with a pixel-art and a roll that I love. We are a grape, we live in a city destroyed and inhabited by fruits and in Garden Story we must fix the city and protect the rest of the fruits. Of course, creativity is abundant in this event.
It is night, but we have a very important task to do: find the perfect gift. Just like the plot of Depanneur Nocturne, a game where the perfect gift is chosen by you, although you have to be an imbecile to be late at night looking for a gift for your girlfriend.
Without a doubt, the strangest video game concept in Wholesome Direct 2020. Well, right after Bird Alone. Calico is a social simulator of magical girls who have to rebuild the towns cat-caf and repopulate it with animals. Im not saying it, the description says it, Im not making it up. Of course, it is unique and quite curious.
A walking simulator inside a house. Rainy Season presents a mystery story where we must spend time with our family (of course, science fiction in my case) because it is raining. Oh, and spirits from beyond appear. I think that more.
In Wayward Strand we will play as Casey, a journalist who travels to a flying hospital, where we will interact with the crew and the inhabitants of the same while they do their day to day to discover the mysteries of the ship. Prize for originality, because it mixes the mix of ideas. But yes, I really like it.
A precious platform with hand-painted scenes. Hoa is the game I most want to try where we will advance through the world unlocking the lost memories of our protagonist, Hoa.
After commenting on the main games discussed within the live, we will close this review at Wholesome Direct 2020 listing the titles that they showed as a rich rusheito. The titles were:
I heartily recommend you take a look at all the games. They are proposed for everyone, at least several games of the more than fifty shown here will rock you. And besides, damn, they are indies, a support and a helping hand never spare. You can take a look at the Wholesome Games page dedicated to the live show, but all the links are here, so dont worry. Tell me which ones are cool!
See the original post here:
I review what was seen in the direct - Explica
- Creaks, a trippy 2D puzzle game, arrives on PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC in July - Daily Star - July 3rd, 2020
- The recursive world simulation & puzzle-making process in Maquette - PlayStation.Blog - July 3rd, 2020
- Maquette Will Bring Mind-Bendingly Clever Recursive Puzzles To PS5, PS4, And PC This Year - GameSpot - July 3rd, 2020
- How citizen scientists and video games are taking on Covid-19 - RTE.ie - July 3rd, 2020
- Felix The Reaper Comes To Life on iOS - GameSpace.com - July 3rd, 2020
- Turok and Grip highlight free games for Twitch Prime members this July - PC Invasion - July 3rd, 2020
- Incredibly Innovative Puzzle Game Carto Comes To PS4 This Fall - PlayStation Universe - July 1st, 2020
- This Doctor Who Sliding Puzzle Game Is Driving Me Insane and I Can't Stop Playing It - Gizmodo - July 1st, 2020
- Made in the USSR: 6 video games Soviets went crazy over - Russia Beyond - July 1st, 2020
- Adventure/puzzle game 'Carto' heading to Switch - GoNintendo - July 1st, 2020
- 10 Fantastic Disney Games From The 16-Bit Era | TheGamer - TheGamer - July 1st, 2020
- Top 10 Addictive Games That Can Help You Cure Boredom at the Workplace - ThisisXbox - July 1st, 2020
- With dinnertime singing and 1,000-piece puzzles, the Portland Thorns are settling into the bubble before faci - OregonLive - July 1st, 2020
- Games to Watch Out For This July GameSpew - GameSpew - June 30th, 2020
- Shelter Tails: Whoever adopts Hank will need a sense of humor - Times Herald-Record - June 30th, 2020
- Apple just unveiled its picks of the best iPad and iPhone apps of the year - here they are - TechRadar - June 30th, 2020
- Doctor Who fans are losing their minds over the new Thirteen Doctors game - RadioTimes - June 30th, 2020
- THOSE WHO REMAIN Review: Fear Of The Dark And Heavy Decisions - GameTyrant - June 30th, 2020
- Five new Steam games you probably missed (June 29, 2020) - PC Gamer - June 29th, 2020
- The Almost Gone Review - New Game Network - June 29th, 2020
- Power-Ups - The New York Times - June 29th, 2020
- United Fresh LIVE! Badge, Puzzle and Trivia winners announced - FreshPlaza.com - June 29th, 2020
- Review: Neversong's Moody Nightmare World Doesn't Strike the Right Chords - thirdcoastreview.com - June 29th, 2020
- How Xbox Series X Game Call Of The Sea Uses The Console's Power - GameSpot - June 29th, 2020
- The best new Android and iOS apps you should download this week - AndroidPIT - June 28th, 2020
- Nintendo Switch free games news: Two unmissable free downloads have just hit the eShop - Express - June 28th, 2020
- Apple Arcade needs games made with iPads in mind - heres why - TechRadar - June 28th, 2020
- Here's what we played during the Steam Game Festival Part 2 - GTOGG - June 28th, 2020
- Here are the discussions you missed in the PC Gamer forums this week - PC Gamer - June 28th, 2020
- Puzzler Superliminal Releasing July 7th - Pure PlayStation - June 26th, 2020
- THE ALMOST GONE Review: An Intriguing Puzzle Game With A Haunting Tale - GameTyrant - June 26th, 2020
- The Almost Gone review dreamlike puzzles unlock a world of dark unease - The Guardian - June 26th, 2020
- Urban Flow is coming tomorrow, 26th of June! - GamingLyfe Network - June 26th, 2020
- European eShop releases for the week of June 25th, 2020 - GoNintendo - June 26th, 2020
- Uncover the truth behind the dioramas of The Almost Gone , now available! - Gamasutra - June 26th, 2020
- Blair Witch, Mr. DRILLER DrillLand, Ninjala, Duke Nukem 3D, and SpongeBob Rehydrated hit the Switch - Games Asylum - June 26th, 2020
- Garden Story pushes its harvest back to 2021 - Shacknews - June 26th, 2020
- Dr. Mario World Introduces Dr Baby Wario, And We're Not Sure If He's Cute Or Not - GameSpot - June 24th, 2020
- An Ode to The End - SUPERJUMP - Medium - June 24th, 2020
- Indie Spotlight: Why KO_OP believes Apple Arcade is the perfect introduction for non-gamers - Pocket Gamer.Biz - June 24th, 2020
- Gotta drink up! Heres the official Sonic energy drink - Thumbsticks - June 24th, 2020
- Ever Forward is coming to Switch at the end of the year - Videogamer.com - June 24th, 2020
- The 10 Best Tetris Video Games Of All Time | Game Rant - GameRant - June 24th, 2020
- Five new games to play on your mobile this summer - The Upcoming - June 23rd, 2020
- 'Circulous', the Semi-Sequel to 'The Company Game' from Teenage Developer Chain Reaction Games, Now Available for Pre-Order - Touch Arcade - June 23rd, 2020
- Ever Forward by Pathea Games is Coming to Nintendo Switch - Gamasutra - June 23rd, 2020
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV Western Release on PlayStation 4 Set for October 27, PC and Switch in 2021 - Niche Gamer - June 23rd, 2020
- Time travel puzzle game The Great Perhaps coming to PS4, Xbox One, and Switch on July 10 - Gematsu - June 23rd, 2020
- The Last of Us Part 2 Review: A Brutally Heartfelt Masterpiece - KeenGamer News - June 23rd, 2020
- New Catherine: Full Body Switch Trailer Revealed at New Game Plus Expo - GameRant - June 23rd, 2020
- CLASS IN SESSION! MYSTERIOUS PUZZLE ADVENTURE GAME THE ACADEMY: THE FIRST RIDDLE UNVEILS ITS SECRETS TODAY - Gamasutra - June 22nd, 2020
- The World Video Game Hall of Fame 2020 inductees have been announced - My Nintendo News - June 22nd, 2020
- Page A4 | E-Edition | thetandd.com - The Times and Democrat - June 22nd, 2020
- 10 PS4 Games That Are Harder Than Dark Souls | Game Rant - GameRant - June 22nd, 2020
- Lots of us adopted dogs in quarantine: 'Dog Whisperer' Csar Milln has some tips - Greater Milwaukee Today - June 22nd, 2020
- Protagonists, Puzzles and Ports: An Interview With Ever Forward's Producer - GameSpew - June 22nd, 2020
- Picture Puzzle Market Share, Growth, Statistics, By Application, Production, Revenue & Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- The best retro games and PS4 remasters on sale - Explica - June 22nd, 2020
- Games of the week Skelattack, Maneater, Potata: Fairy Flower and SpongeBob: Patty Pursuit - Inverness Courier - June 22nd, 2020
- Solution to Riddle of the Week: The Pickleball Puzzle - Yahoo News - June 21st, 2020
- This is the first prescription video game for treating ADHD in kids - The Indian Express - June 21st, 2020
- What's something about games you didn't mind as a kid but can't stand now? - PC Gamer - June 21st, 2020
- How to Solve The Secret Silent Hill Clock Tower Puzzle in Dead by Daylight - Screen Rant - June 19th, 2020
- 15 must-try demos from the Steam Summer Game Festival - PCWorld - June 19th, 2020
- Augmented Reality Mobile Games Market to See Massive Growth by 2025 | Niantic, Sony, Six to Start - 3rd Watch News - June 19th, 2020
- Rising SEA Woven Is a Free Collection of Mini-Games Celebrating Southeast Asian Culture - The Escapist - June 19th, 2020
- Pokmon Caf Mix is an absolutely adorable puzzle game for Switch and mobile - The Verge - June 18th, 2020
- App Army Assemble: Reky - Is this Bauhaus-inspired puzzler a must-buy on mobile? - Pocket Gamer - June 18th, 2020
- Play This, Not That: The Last of Us Part II - SuperParent - June 17th, 2020
- Download over 900 demos in the Steam Summer Game Festival - AllGamers - June 17th, 2020
- Stockholm-based Stillfront lands 114 million to expand its global group of gaming studios - EU-Startups - June 17th, 2020
- 'Kosmokrats' Puts Starship-Building in the Hands of a Potato Peeler - Indie Games Plus - June 17th, 2020
- Copy Cats - The New York Times - June 17th, 2020
- The biggest news from the Upload VR Showcase: Summer Edition - Digital Trends - June 16th, 2020
- Ever Forward Interview - The Art Of Designing Narrative-Driven Puzzles - Noisy Pixel - June 16th, 2020
- Games from Iceberg Interactive in the Steam Summer Festival - FULLSYNC - June 16th, 2020
- Unitied, a Minimalist and Relaxing Puzzle Game coming to Switch June 25th - SwitchWatch - June 16th, 2020
- Go To Hell In VR Puzzler Trial By Teng From The Creators Of Form - UploadVR - June 16th, 2020
- Bundle for Racial Justice Closes with 8 Million Raised - Heavy.com - June 16th, 2020
- Surgeon Simulator 2 is Transplanting to the Epic Games Store in August - GameSpew - June 16th, 2020