Call of the Sea, a striking, under-the-radar adventure game available on Game Pass.Screenshot: Out of the Blue
Microsofts Xbox Game Pass subscription is about as close to Netflix for games as you can get. And just like Netflix, there are ways to get the most bang for your buck. Here are some tips for wringing everything you can out of a Game Pass subscription.
Like many other media subscriptions, Game Pass is available in multiple tiers. The standard tier is $10 a month, which grants you access to the Game Pass library and not much else. The PC versionwhich has its own library full of many overlapping games but some exclusives, like Crusader Kings IIIis also $10, though it cost $5 when it was in beta earlier this year.
For $15 a month you can get Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, which gives you access to both the console and PC Game Pass libraries. You also get a subscription to Xbox Live Gold, Microsofts online service, which itself offers four extra games per month via the Games With Gold program. Members of Ultimate can also stream games directly to Android devices (and, next year, iOS ones, too). As of November, Ultimate comes bundled with EA Play, a games-on-demand service full of EAs video games and sports advertisements. Game Pass Ultimate is also starting to include first-party expansions at no extra cost, a perk not available to members of the standard tier.
G/O Media may get a commission
Its clear that Microsoft wants to funnel subscribers into the higher price point. For the time being, pending a serious spike in the sticker price, the math works out to justify the leapin most cases. Switching from the base-level to Ultimate is worth it if...
The $15 monthly price can be daunting, particularly so in an era of subscription fatigue, but there are a few methods for alleviating the cost. For starters, your first three months currently cost just a dollar (total), though once that lapses, Microsoft automatically charges your card for a monthly renewal at the higher rate. Cancelling Game Pass wont delete your save data for any games youve played with the service. You can pick up any game exactly where you left off by buying the game, either physically or digitally, or resubscribing to Game Pass.
Digital retailers will sometimes offer three-month or one-year cards for Ultimate that add up to less than the total cost. You can also convert codes for Microsofts other subscriptions into months of Ultimate, provided youre already an Ultimate member, which can cut down the cost a bit. Say youre sitting on a code for a year of Xbox Live Gold. You can redeem that for four months of Game Pass Ultimate. (Heres a full list of exactly how many months of Ultimate your codes will concert to.)
Finally, consider finding a PC-playing friendone you trustand splitting the cost. At the moment, the PC player gets the short end of the stick, as EA Play has not currently been folded into the PC library. (That will happen some time next year.) Surely, you and your friend can hammer out a fair split, and you can both play games at the same time with the same account, so long as youre not trying to play, say, Halo multiplayer.
The main draw of Game Pass is that you can play huge games without having to hit up GameStop or hand over more money to the Bezos empire. First-party games, like Gears 5 and The Outer Worlds, land on the service day one. Next years planned Halo Infinite will, too. If you want to play all of the biggest Xbox games at launch without dishing out $60 a pop, Game Pass is the way to do it. Big third-party gameslike Control, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and Tales of Vesperiacycle in and out of the library all the time, too.
Many of Microsofts first-party games have been optimized for the Xbox Series X and S, allowing for faster load speeds, higher framerates, and sharper resolutions. And those with compatible displays can avail themselves of 120fps modes for Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Gears 5, and Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Game Pass is as good an excuse as any to replay old games, or to check them out for the first time.
As good as Game Pass is for scoring access to big games, its even better for discovering smaller ones. For every Forza or Halo or third-party blockbuster, theres an under-the-radar gem you otherwise wouldnt have looked at twice. The following dozen, if you missed them, are at least worth checking out:
Most of the best games on Game Pass are relatively smalla handful of gigabytes, at most, and usually under 1GBso even those with strict data caps can download them with little repercussion. If youre only skimming the surface and playing the biggest hits, youre missing out on a whole lot of terrific games.
Seeing as there are hundreds of games in the library, scrolling through alphabetically can be tedious. But you can narrow it down with some helpful filters. All you have to do is access Game Pass via My Games and Apps, rather than the standard Game Pass dashboard icon. In My Games and Apps, if you scroll to full library, you should see two tiles: one for Xbox Game Pass and one for EA Play. Viewing the library through those allows for robust categorization options that arent available in the standard Game Pass console app. Youll have to view the EA Play and Game Pass libraries separately, though, rather than the catch-all trove youd find in the Game Pass app.
On the top row, you should see an icon that looks like an inverted high-school science class funnel. Clicking on that allows you to filter by genre (platformer, shooter, role-playing, and so on), by console (Xbox and Xbox 360 games, Xbox One games, or next-gen optimized games), and multiplayer capabilities (online or local, co-op or competitive). If you simply want to use Game Pass to check out all of the games revamped with next-gen upgrades, you can do that. If youd prefer to see which puzzle games offer local co-op, you can do that, too.
In some cases, Game Pass allows you to preload high-profile upcoming games. Right now, for instance, you can pre-install The Medium. Following a delay, Bloober Teams forthcoming multidimensional nightmare wont land on Game Pass until January 28, 2021, but you can get the 38GB download out of the way now.
Xbox controllers still use AA batteries, so this is never a bad idea.
Go here to read the rest:
How To Get The Most Out Of Xbox Game Pass - Kotaku
- Pillars of Active Aging - Old School Puzzles And Games To Promote Active Aging Brain Health - LNP | LancasterOnline - March 4th, 2021
- Tvinnr: Basic tips to help you enjoy this relaxing puzzle game - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- Maquette is a neat puzzle game that packs an emotional punch - The Next Web - March 4th, 2021
- Our most anticipated indie games of 2021 - Rock Paper Shotgun - March 4th, 2021
- MonkeyBox 2: Cards! is an upcoming puzzle adventure game for iOS from TheCodingMonkeys - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- Play with Gravity in Gravifire on Xbox and Switch - TheXboxHub - March 4th, 2021
- Lovin Games Weekly - There is a new Aliens game on the way - Lovin Dublin - March 4th, 2021
- It Takes Two Isn't Focusing on Replayability, Won't Have Collectibles - GameRant - March 4th, 2021
- The Video Games to Play This Month: Get Tiny with Maquette, It Takes Two, and More! - The Portland Mercury - March 4th, 2021
- 50% Kemco RPG and Puzzle Games on PS Store - GLYFE Nation - March 4th, 2021
- Worst Pokmon Spin-off Games Nintendo Should Never Remake - Screen Rant - March 4th, 2021
- Super Rare Games giving immersive puzzle game Creaks a physical Switch release next week - GoNintendo - March 4th, 2021
- Every Uncharted Game, Ranked Worst To Best | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - March 4th, 2021
- 10 Games We Need To See On PSVR2 That Could Actually Happen On PS5 - TheGamer - March 4th, 2021
- PC Review - 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead' - WorthPlaying.com - March 4th, 2021
- The Next Hawks Coach Will Have to Solve the Trae Young Puzzle - The Ringer - March 4th, 2021
- Sponsored: 5 games that make you think like a programmer - Gamasutra - March 4th, 2021
- Inked review - "If only looks were everything" | Articles - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- From Portal to Witcher 3: The games people cheat at the most! - European Gaming Industry News - March 4th, 2021
- 5 Best PC Boxing games to play in 2021 - Gameranx - March 4th, 2021
- What Are the Most Popular Types of Mobile Game? | TechQuila - TechQuila - February 19th, 2021
- The Legend of Zelda games ranked! - The Guardian - February 19th, 2021
- Wordsmyth is a beautiful daily word game coming soon to iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - February 19th, 2021
- Review: She Remembered Caterpillars - Movies Games and Tech - February 19th, 2021
- Artie raises $10 million as it pivots to make instant games - VentureBeat - February 19th, 2021
- Fortnite Creative gets callout for puzzles and platformers - AltChar - February 19th, 2021
- Top 10 games to download and play first on your new Apple iPhone - Gadget Bridge - February 19th, 2021
- Outer Wilds launches this summer on Nintendo Switch - Shacknews - February 19th, 2021
- Steam Developer Banned After Trying to Trick Users About Positive Reviews - VICE - February 19th, 2021
- Global Games and Puzzles Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Key Drivers, Business Strategy, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 Express Keeper - Express... - February 19th, 2021
- Next 10 Classic Horror Games To Play If You Liked The Medium - TheGamer - February 17th, 2021
- Game stores seeing an increase in new customers since the COVID-19 pandemic - WeAreGreenBay.com - February 17th, 2021
- The First 10 Games Released On The PS2 (In Chronological Order) - TheGamer - February 17th, 2021
- Zynga Expects Its Mobile Gaming Empire to Grow More Than 30% In 2021 - Motley Fool - February 17th, 2021
- 8 Underrated Open-World Games (That Came Out In The Last 5 Years) - GameRant - February 17th, 2021
- The Room 4: Old Sins Is Out For PC, And Prettier Than Ever - Kotaku - February 17th, 2021
- Knight's Retreat Review - Chess but not! - TheXboxHub - February 17th, 2021
- Soapbox: We Were Here, the Free PS4 Game No One Will Play with Me - Push Square - February 17th, 2021
- PS5 : HuniePop 2, another title that joins Twitch's list of banned games - Explica - February 17th, 2021
- 10 VR Games That Don't Give You Motion Sickness - TheGamer - February 17th, 2021
- 10 Things You Never Knew About The Origins Of Tetris | Game Rant - GameRant - February 17th, 2021
- Games of the week: The Medium, Spire Blast, Encodya and Solas 128 - Inverness Courier - February 17th, 2021
- Nokia 5.4 review this ones for the stock Android fans on a tight budget - Business Insider India - February 17th, 2021
- Thorny Puzzle Title Room To Grow Is Coming To PC This Month - Bleeding Cool News - February 14th, 2021
- Imaginative Puzzle Game QV Heading To Steam | TheGamer - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- 10 Open World Games That Have No Combat | Game Rant - GameRant - February 14th, 2021
- Schell Games Talks I Expect You To Die 2 And VR's Future - UploadVR - February 14th, 2021
- ConnecTank Is a Multiplayer Tank Battle and Puzzle Game Coming This Fall - SuperParent - February 14th, 2021
- Best Valentines Day games for couples: top titles to play with your loved one - TechRadar - February 14th, 2021
- Outer Wilds And The Best Games That Use Time Loops - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- The Most Peaceful Games of 2020, Ranked | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- Best new mobile games on iOS and Android this February - Metro.co.uk - February 14th, 2021
- PS4 Update: Download This New F2P PlayStation 4 Game - RealSport101 - February 14th, 2021
- The Best Free PC Games of Multiple Category in 2021 - TechnoSports - February 14th, 2021
- The DeanBeat: Has the game industry hit its peak with crazy valuations or just begun its growth? - VentureBeat - February 14th, 2021
- Video game review: 'The Medium' a messy horror game with inventive puzzles - telegraphherald.com - February 14th, 2021
- TouchArcade Game of the Week: 'Knightin'+' - Touch Arcade - February 14th, 2021
- Numskull Games Offers Sneak Peek At Upcoming Titles, Reveals RICO London - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- Recursive Puzzle Game, Maquette, to be Released in March - mxdwn.com - February 11th, 2021
- Tackle thorny problems in 'Room to Grow' a plant pushing puzzle game launching on Steam for PC & Mac 25th February 2021! - Gamasutra - February 11th, 2021
- PS5 and PS4 free game bonus: Grab a friend and download co-op puzzler for free - Express - February 11th, 2021
- Somethings Fishy About This Steam Games Very Positive Reviews - Kotaku - February 11th, 2021
- Human Fall Flat Was Originally Designed To Be Portal Meets Limbo - TheGamer - February 11th, 2021
- Tilting Point will invest up to $60 million in user acquisition for Loop Games Match 3D game - VentureBeat - February 11th, 2021
- Every App And VR Game Coming To Oculus App Lab For Quest - UploadVR - February 11th, 2021
- Nuts Review- Hiding Above the Trees, Looking For Squirrels - DualShockers - February 11th, 2021
- A bit about our currently nameless game company, and what we're working on at the moment - Gamasutra - February 11th, 2021
- 'Breath Of The Wild' Reinvented Zelda Games. 'Bowser's Fury' Does That For Mario - Mashable India - February 11th, 2021
- Slipways was the best demo in the Steam Games Festival, but it's gone now - Rock Paper Shotgun - February 9th, 2021
- Move Over, Mother 3 - THESE Nintendo Games Should Be Localized Too - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 9th, 2021
- Solve puzzles in a recursive world where everything is simultaneously tiny and massive - PC Gamer - February 9th, 2021
- The best PSVR games to try on a PS5 - CNET - February 9th, 2021
- Xbox One: The 7 Easiest Games to Unlock Every Achievement | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 9th, 2021
- Knightin'+ is a Zelda-inspired puzzle-adventure game that's heading for iOS and Android tomorrow - Pocket Gamer - February 9th, 2021
- Cross-Play Video Game Publisher TLM Partners, Inc. Announces Their First Indie Title "Zorya: The Celestial Sisters" developed by MadLife... - February 9th, 2021
- The Video Games to Play This Month: Giant Bowser, Fractal Planet Exploration, and Werewolves! - TheStranger.com - February 9th, 2021
- The ultimate guide to getting into the Resident Evil games - PC Gamer - February 9th, 2021
- Games of the week: Hitman 3, The Pillar: Puzzle Escape, Nuts and Ride 4 - Inverness Courier - February 9th, 2021
- 5 Awesome Video Game Sequels That Defined A Franchise (& 5 That Were Way Overrated) - Screen Rant - February 9th, 2021
- 10 Terrifying Horror Games Most Gamers Have Never Heard Of - GameRant - February 9th, 2021