We had a chance to preview Hitman 3, while speaking with members of developer IO Interactive. Hitman 3, the final chapter in the World of Assassination Trilogy that began with the 2016 reboot of the franchise, literally dives straight into the action. Players once again step into Agent 47s shoes, picking up where the previous game left off, and skydive off a cargo plane alongside his ally Lucas Grey to infiltrate the top of a ridiculously tall building in Dubai and take down the powerful shadow organization, Providence.
Theres a lot for new players to take in. Naturally, this is one of the reasons why Hitman 3 includes the campaigns from the first two games. As a bonus, unlocking all the locations across the three campaigns allows you to use all found items in them, meaning that a Hitman 3 weapon can be brought to a Hitman 1 mission.
I would say that Hitman 3 is first and foremost for our core fans. Thats how we started the development of the game, the games executive producer, Forest Swartout Large explained to PC Invasion. We hope its a good experience if [new] players choose to join Hitman 3, but the real journey begins with the game that released in 2016.
Walking straight back into the World of Assassination with an early build of the game was even a bit overwhelming for me. I havent played Hitman in months. Thats not to say that there arent a few built-in tips and hints to get started with the new gadgets in Hitman 3. You cant dial down the difficulty to ease your way in if you want to jump straight into the finale, but theres not much in the way of exposition or recapping. So, if you dont know or cant remember who characters such as Lucas Gray are and what Providence is, then you might end up being a little lost as the story plays out. Especially since Hitman 3 puts a greater emphasis on storytelling.
For the conclusion of the trilogy, we really wanted to bring the story into the game, she said. Its not super heavy-handed, but we didnt want it to be where players could just skip through it. We want players to experience the story as we intended.
The intended target: one of the Providence heads. However, the head unexpectedly departs the scene before you land on The Sceptre, which happens to be the tallest building in the world its top poking through the clouds. So, Agent 47 has to adapt and switch to two targets who deserve some killing.
As I walked around the outside of the skyscraper, I was introduced to my first new gadget: a high-tech camera phone. The multifunctional device allows you to scan and hack electronic locks and computers in addition to scanning for clues. In this case, I used it to open a window so that I could get inside. Aside from a couple of new toys, the majority of the game may feel familiar to veteran players. Its like slipping into a well-worn disguise to poison a few drinks all over again.
The Sceptre helps establish the large scope of the games different locations. Players have to do quite a bit of exploring while eavesdropping on conversations. And all the while, keeping a watchful eye out for potential disguises, weapons, and potential traps that will help take out targets while staying undetected. Side objectives such as stealing information or posing as a specific person are peppered in. But the game is still a violent sandbox puzzle game where players have to figure out ways to help targets meet their untimely demise.
Travis Barbour, IO Interactive communications manager, said the development team put particular emphasis on the first playthrough to help bring the story forward.
There are key moments that keep you up-to-date with whats going on, he explained. That could be an introduction sequence at the start of a mission or a moment partway through so that you can keep up with the story.
Info icons appeared as I took in my surroundings, directing me to prominent characters who might serve as useful disguises. Gray would sometimes speak into the radio as I triggered different events to give me some background on characters and point me toward secondary objectives. There was a VIP who was giving the guards trouble because he refused to be searched. Although he seemed interesting, I decided to take a more traditional route and knock out an unsuspecting guard and steal his uniform before stuffing him in a conveniently-located closet. That way, I had both the freedom to walk into restricted areas such as the security room while carrying a gun.
As with previous games in the series, playing Hitman 3 can require quite a bit of patience. Its usually easy enough to locate targets, but then you have to figure out ways to eliminate them without getting caught. This can range from shooting them outright and dealing with the violent consequences, to using a crowbar to drop heavy objects on them. You can also sabotage equipment to set up elaborate accidents as targets move through. Much of it has to do with a blend of timing and opportunity. Some of the more complex traps require extra exploration to find the required components.
We tried to bear in mind that players will play how they want to, Large said. We might have players who only want to play hard stealth, with guns waving, or only the mission story. Were always keeping those different play styles in mind as were developing locations and missions.
Hitman is about the players and offering a deep and wide toolbox for them to approach the targets in whatever way they want, she added.
Setting up traps can take a considerable amount of puzzle-solving, which can involve quite a bit of trial and error. For instance, I found the components needed to overload the on-stage electrical system, but the readings indicated that the power output was in the safe zone. Taking this to mean that the trap wasnt deadly enough, I began looking for ways to put more juice into the system. Thats when some unsuspecting people went wandering onto the stage and got shocked to death. It was my cue to move on to other means, but at least now I knew the trap worked.
It was while exploring the service hallways that I discovered my first shortcut, which are typically barred entryways that can be permanently unlocked for future playthroughs. This proved to be quite useful when my cover was later blown because I picked up an item that was incompatible with my disguise, causing all nearby guards to descend and open fire on me. Armed with better knowledge of the buildings layout, I was able to take out both targets on my second playthrough before skydiving off the building for my spectacular escape. Then it was off to Dartmoor to continue searching for the head of Providence.
In total, Hitman 3 features six globe-spanning locations at launch including Dubai, Dartmoor, Berlin, and Chongqing. At Dartmoor, England, I had to find a way to break into a gigantic, heavily-guarded mansion, which should be a familiar situation for experienced Hitman players.
What struck me most about this location, apart from the elaborate layout and opulent furnishings, is how the game helped streamline some of the multitasking involved with planning the perfect hit. For instance, an event window popped up while I was roaming through the hallways in my disguise, looking for ways to set up an elaborate accident. It showed my target giving a speech, which left her vulnerable. I immediately ran to the room where I was practically face-to-face with her while she was surrounded by guards and onlookers.
We wanted to have some extended, close-up moments with the targets, Large said. We spend so much energy crafting these super interesting targets with their own flavors and stories. With Hitman 3, we wanted to make sure that players have one or more opportunities to get very close to them and I dont mean to push them off a rooftop. I mean, really extended engagement with the target.
I could have ended her and faced the consequences, but I decided to let things play out instead. Given the right disguise, I could have probably walked right up to her for a conversation, which is interesting because Im usually not prone to chatting with the people Im preparing to assassinate. But at the same time, it fits with Agent 47s shifting role as an assassin, spy, and thief. Why not add investigator to the list?
I wont spoil how the encounter turned out or what crazy disguises and elaborate traps I managed to find, but I will say that its an unusual mission that requires a ton of exploration and puzzle-solving if you want to get the most out of it. Youll have to discover the rest when the game releases.
Hitman 3 launches on January 20 for PC on the Epic Games Store and Stadia.
See the rest here:
Hitman 3 preview -- Beginning the end of a bloody journey - PC Invasion
- Pillars of Active Aging - Old School Puzzles And Games To Promote Active Aging Brain Health - LNP | LancasterOnline - March 4th, 2021
- Tvinnr: Basic tips to help you enjoy this relaxing puzzle game - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- Maquette is a neat puzzle game that packs an emotional punch - The Next Web - March 4th, 2021
- Our most anticipated indie games of 2021 - Rock Paper Shotgun - March 4th, 2021
- MonkeyBox 2: Cards! is an upcoming puzzle adventure game for iOS from TheCodingMonkeys - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- Play with Gravity in Gravifire on Xbox and Switch - TheXboxHub - March 4th, 2021
- Lovin Games Weekly - There is a new Aliens game on the way - Lovin Dublin - March 4th, 2021
- It Takes Two Isn't Focusing on Replayability, Won't Have Collectibles - GameRant - March 4th, 2021
- The Video Games to Play This Month: Get Tiny with Maquette, It Takes Two, and More! - The Portland Mercury - March 4th, 2021
- 50% Kemco RPG and Puzzle Games on PS Store - GLYFE Nation - March 4th, 2021
- Worst Pokmon Spin-off Games Nintendo Should Never Remake - Screen Rant - March 4th, 2021
- Super Rare Games giving immersive puzzle game Creaks a physical Switch release next week - GoNintendo - March 4th, 2021
- Every Uncharted Game, Ranked Worst To Best | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - March 4th, 2021
- 10 Games We Need To See On PSVR2 That Could Actually Happen On PS5 - TheGamer - March 4th, 2021
- PC Review - 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead' - WorthPlaying.com - March 4th, 2021
- The Next Hawks Coach Will Have to Solve the Trae Young Puzzle - The Ringer - March 4th, 2021
- Sponsored: 5 games that make you think like a programmer - Gamasutra - March 4th, 2021
- Inked review - "If only looks were everything" | Articles - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- From Portal to Witcher 3: The games people cheat at the most! - European Gaming Industry News - March 4th, 2021
- 5 Best PC Boxing games to play in 2021 - Gameranx - March 4th, 2021
- What Are the Most Popular Types of Mobile Game? | TechQuila - TechQuila - February 19th, 2021
- The Legend of Zelda games ranked! - The Guardian - February 19th, 2021
- Wordsmyth is a beautiful daily word game coming soon to iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - February 19th, 2021
- Review: She Remembered Caterpillars - Movies Games and Tech - February 19th, 2021
- Artie raises $10 million as it pivots to make instant games - VentureBeat - February 19th, 2021
- Fortnite Creative gets callout for puzzles and platformers - AltChar - February 19th, 2021
- Top 10 games to download and play first on your new Apple iPhone - Gadget Bridge - February 19th, 2021
- Outer Wilds launches this summer on Nintendo Switch - Shacknews - February 19th, 2021
- Steam Developer Banned After Trying to Trick Users About Positive Reviews - VICE - February 19th, 2021
- Global Games and Puzzles Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Key Drivers, Business Strategy, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 Express Keeper - Express... - February 19th, 2021
- Next 10 Classic Horror Games To Play If You Liked The Medium - TheGamer - February 17th, 2021
- Game stores seeing an increase in new customers since the COVID-19 pandemic - WeAreGreenBay.com - February 17th, 2021
- The First 10 Games Released On The PS2 (In Chronological Order) - TheGamer - February 17th, 2021
- Zynga Expects Its Mobile Gaming Empire to Grow More Than 30% In 2021 - Motley Fool - February 17th, 2021
- 8 Underrated Open-World Games (That Came Out In The Last 5 Years) - GameRant - February 17th, 2021
- The Room 4: Old Sins Is Out For PC, And Prettier Than Ever - Kotaku - February 17th, 2021
- Knight's Retreat Review - Chess but not! - TheXboxHub - February 17th, 2021
- Soapbox: We Were Here, the Free PS4 Game No One Will Play with Me - Push Square - February 17th, 2021
- PS5 : HuniePop 2, another title that joins Twitch's list of banned games - Explica - February 17th, 2021
- 10 VR Games That Don't Give You Motion Sickness - TheGamer - February 17th, 2021
- 10 Things You Never Knew About The Origins Of Tetris | Game Rant - GameRant - February 17th, 2021
- Games of the week: The Medium, Spire Blast, Encodya and Solas 128 - Inverness Courier - February 17th, 2021
- Nokia 5.4 review this ones for the stock Android fans on a tight budget - Business Insider India - February 17th, 2021
- Thorny Puzzle Title Room To Grow Is Coming To PC This Month - Bleeding Cool News - February 14th, 2021
- Imaginative Puzzle Game QV Heading To Steam | TheGamer - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- 10 Open World Games That Have No Combat | Game Rant - GameRant - February 14th, 2021
- Schell Games Talks I Expect You To Die 2 And VR's Future - UploadVR - February 14th, 2021
- ConnecTank Is a Multiplayer Tank Battle and Puzzle Game Coming This Fall - SuperParent - February 14th, 2021
- Best Valentines Day games for couples: top titles to play with your loved one - TechRadar - February 14th, 2021
- Outer Wilds And The Best Games That Use Time Loops - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- The Most Peaceful Games of 2020, Ranked | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - February 14th, 2021
- Best new mobile games on iOS and Android this February - Metro.co.uk - February 14th, 2021
- PS4 Update: Download This New F2P PlayStation 4 Game - RealSport101 - February 14th, 2021
- The Best Free PC Games of Multiple Category in 2021 - TechnoSports - February 14th, 2021
- The DeanBeat: Has the game industry hit its peak with crazy valuations or just begun its growth? - VentureBeat - February 14th, 2021
- Video game review: 'The Medium' a messy horror game with inventive puzzles - telegraphherald.com - February 14th, 2021
- TouchArcade Game of the Week: 'Knightin'+' - Touch Arcade - February 14th, 2021
- Numskull Games Offers Sneak Peek At Upcoming Titles, Reveals RICO London - TheGamer - February 14th, 2021
- Recursive Puzzle Game, Maquette, to be Released in March - mxdwn.com - February 11th, 2021
- Tackle thorny problems in 'Room to Grow' a plant pushing puzzle game launching on Steam for PC & Mac 25th February 2021! - Gamasutra - February 11th, 2021
- PS5 and PS4 free game bonus: Grab a friend and download co-op puzzler for free - Express - February 11th, 2021
- Somethings Fishy About This Steam Games Very Positive Reviews - Kotaku - February 11th, 2021
- Human Fall Flat Was Originally Designed To Be Portal Meets Limbo - TheGamer - February 11th, 2021
- Tilting Point will invest up to $60 million in user acquisition for Loop Games Match 3D game - VentureBeat - February 11th, 2021
- Every App And VR Game Coming To Oculus App Lab For Quest - UploadVR - February 11th, 2021
- Nuts Review- Hiding Above the Trees, Looking For Squirrels - DualShockers - February 11th, 2021
- A bit about our currently nameless game company, and what we're working on at the moment - Gamasutra - February 11th, 2021
- 'Breath Of The Wild' Reinvented Zelda Games. 'Bowser's Fury' Does That For Mario - Mashable India - February 11th, 2021
- Slipways was the best demo in the Steam Games Festival, but it's gone now - Rock Paper Shotgun - February 9th, 2021
- Move Over, Mother 3 - THESE Nintendo Games Should Be Localized Too - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 9th, 2021
- Solve puzzles in a recursive world where everything is simultaneously tiny and massive - PC Gamer - February 9th, 2021
- The best PSVR games to try on a PS5 - CNET - February 9th, 2021
- Xbox One: The 7 Easiest Games to Unlock Every Achievement | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 9th, 2021
- Knightin'+ is a Zelda-inspired puzzle-adventure game that's heading for iOS and Android tomorrow - Pocket Gamer - February 9th, 2021
- Cross-Play Video Game Publisher TLM Partners, Inc. Announces Their First Indie Title "Zorya: The Celestial Sisters" developed by MadLife... - February 9th, 2021
- The Video Games to Play This Month: Giant Bowser, Fractal Planet Exploration, and Werewolves! - TheStranger.com - February 9th, 2021
- The ultimate guide to getting into the Resident Evil games - PC Gamer - February 9th, 2021
- Games of the week: Hitman 3, The Pillar: Puzzle Escape, Nuts and Ride 4 - Inverness Courier - February 9th, 2021
- 5 Awesome Video Game Sequels That Defined A Franchise (& 5 That Were Way Overrated) - Screen Rant - February 9th, 2021
- 10 Terrifying Horror Games Most Gamers Have Never Heard Of - GameRant - February 9th, 2021