Despite a pair of tasty head-to-head matchups between teams vying for critical playoff positions, a historic international game in Sault Ste. Marie, Canada, will steal the headlines in this weekends WCHA slate of games.
First, a hockey geography refresher: there are two hockey Soos, a Canadian and an American version, on the north and south sides of the confluence of Lake Superior and Lake Huron, right on the northeast tip of Michigan. The American Soo features three-time NCAA champion Lake Superior State. Three miles north is Sault Ste. Marie, Canada, home of three-time Ontario Hockey League champion Soo Greyhounds. American college hockey and Canadian major junior operate at the highest levels only a short drive away, yet theyve never intersected.
Thanks to heady marketing by Lake Superior State, and the fact that Canadian Soo legend Phil Espositos grandson Niko plays for Lake State, the Lakers will host Saturdays game against Alabama-Huntsville north of the border in the home of the Soo Greyhounds only the second official NCAA game ever played in Canada. For college hockey advocates like Mike Snee of College Hockey, Inc., getting the game played up in Canada is a huge win.
Anything that takes the game to a bunch of new fans, new sets of eyeballs, is good for us, said Snee from Southern California, where he is speaking to teenage players about the benefits of college hockey.
Players ages and sporting politics prevent major junior and college hockey from competing on the ice, but when it comes to recruiting NHL prospects, they engage in bloodsport. Elite 16-year-olds in North America must choose between Canadian major junior, generally considered the fast track to the NHL, and NCAA hockey, an opportunity for late-bloomers who can also enjoy the security of a college degree.
Snee declined to campaign about the benefits of NCAA puck, knowing that having college hockey played in a junior hockey stronghold will speak volumes.
A fan, who hasnt seen [college hockey] before, and watches a lot more junior hockey, is going to be seeing an older, more mature player, said Snee, noting that the average age of a college hockey player is about four years older than major junior.
Its geopolitical backstory makes Saturday nights tilt between the leagues two loss-leaders the most significant game of the WCHAs regular season.
WCHA schedule-makers, who cobble together over 100 matchups during the offseason, cant possibly predict how the dice will come up when the February sprint arrives. This Valentines weekend the roll is a pair of sevens thanks to a couple of matchups, games that will have fans rushing through their romantic dinners to get in front of a screen.
The marquee feature is second-place Bemidji traveling to third-place Northern Michigan. A sweep by either side should determine home ice in the projected WCHA semifinals between these same league powers. The Game-Inside-the-Game features the countrys leading goal scorer, NMUs Griffin Loughran (21 snipes), trying to solve the WCHAs hottest goalie of the New Year, Bemidjis Zach Driscoll (.932 save pct).
The Beaver juggernaut has suffered only one loss at home this season, but now they face a crucial road test, knowing they have played below .500 hockey away from the Sanford center. It is a reality check for two teams that both need to get to the WCHA championship game to keep their NCAA tournament dreams afloat.
As soon as the buzzer sounds in NMUs Berry Center, fans can take in another matchup with major implications. The Alaska Nanooks are hosting Bowling Green on Alaska Standard time, four hours later than Marquette. Just enough time to enjoy the Valentines leftovers before tucking into a true hockey fans dessert Bowling Green-Alaska, a clash likely to determine the WCHAs final home-ice playoff spot.
Having shaken their January hangover (1-5-1) with a dramatic home sweep of Alaska Anchorage, the BGSU Falcons commute to the northernmost outpost in college hockey. Last seasons WCHA runner-ups are attempting to get back into the WCHAs elite four. Having played two fewer games, they trail fourth-place Fairbanks by the exact amount of points the series is worth six the hard way.
Although the Falcons are traveling 4,000 miles and will be playing on an ice surface significantly bigger than their home rink, it would be folly to dismiss their chances. They are embracing their new role coming from the WCHAs bottom five: hunters instead of the hunted. The Falcons are loaded with veteran talent, upperclassmen who power the most productive power play in the country (36 goals). BGSU coach Ty Eigner credits assistant Maco Balkovec with drawing up the plans each week for two power-play units, skill players with the deadly combination of desperation and confidence.
WCHA fans in the Eastern time zone shouldnt expect to get to bed until after 1 AM both Friday and Saturday nights. They better hope their Valentines love hockey.
Tim Rappleye is the author ofJack Parker's Wiseguys: The National Champion BU Terriers, the Blizzard of '78, and the Road to the Miracle on Ice. He can be reached on Twitter @TeeRaps.
Read the original here:
Historic & Momentous Weekend Of Hockey In The WCHA - FloHockey
- 16 Aesthetically Pleasing Puzzles and Games to Play at Home - The New York Times - March 30th, 2020
- THE TICKER: What now for the Tokyo Games? Says IOC chief Bach, This is like a huge jigsaw puzzle - The Sports Examiner - March 30th, 2020
- Chess: an expert took an hour to solve this simple puzzle can you do better? - Financial Times - March 30th, 2020
- 10 Online Games You'll Get Totally Lost in (in a Good Way) - POPSUGAR - March 29th, 2020
- With games on hold, PawSox adjusting to a strange new normal in final season before move to Worcester - thegardnernews.com - March 29th, 2020
- The Best Cheap PC Games You Can Buy On Steam Right Now - GameSpot - March 29th, 2020
- PuzzleScript: The free puzzle-building tool that lets you make games in minutes - BingePost - March 28th, 2020
- Here's what people are doing to pass the time during coronavirus isolation - ABC News - March 28th, 2020
- Solve Mesmerizing Puzzles In VR With FORM - GameTyrant - March 28th, 2020
- If you're in the mood for a mobile puzzle game, Monument Valley 2 is free - Destructoid - March 28th, 2020
- Who Should Be Inducted Into The 2020 Video Game Hall Of Fame? - 98.5 The Sports Hub - March 27th, 2020
- COVID-19: Top 5 infotainment iOS apps to keep your kids happy and learn skills during the lockdown - Deccan Herald - March 27th, 2020
- Banana Panda games and puzzles are fun, educational toys for toddlers that encourage cognitive development my 19-month-old loves them - INSIDER - March 26th, 2020
- The Room VR: A Dark Matter is the best VR escape room game - CNET - March 26th, 2020
- Blockade Games Adds Puzzle and Game Development Services to Its Offerings - SludgeFeed - March 26th, 2020
- The 26 best Nintendo Switch games to play through the quarantine - For The Win - March 26th, 2020
- New Nintendo Direct Mini Highlights a Wide Variety of Games Coming to Nintendo Switch This Year - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Rachel Lowe to develop new puzzles, board games and card games for Beano - Toy News - March 26th, 2020
- Galway have all the pieces to solve All-Ireland puzzle - Farrell - Independent.ie - March 26th, 2020
- 20 best games to play if you are self-isolating during the coronavirus outbreak | London Evening Standard - Evening Standard - March 26th, 2020
- Newsdio: Oleg Nesterenko's blog - Beidi Guo, developer of LUNA The Shadow Dust, on how story and environmental narrative increase repeatability in... - March 26th, 2020
- Spyder is a game about a spider that's a spy. And it's on Apple Arcade now. - iMore - March 26th, 2020
- Deciding to Postpone the Olympics Was Tough. Actually Moving Them May Be Tougher. - The New York Times - March 26th, 2020
- The 21 best PC games on Xbox Game Pass for PC right now (March 2020) - For The Win - March 26th, 2020
- The Bucs keep the band together on defense - Tampa Bay Times - March 25th, 2020
- We got 5 game devs to explain why Animal Crossing is so damn good - The Next Web - March 25th, 2020
- Bit of Land in the Seine - The New York Times - March 25th, 2020
- How to solve the Button Puzzle in the Quarantine Zone in Half-Life: Alyx - Gamepur - March 25th, 2020
- Heal is a story-driven puzzle game for iOS and Android that aims to cover heavy topics such as dementia - Pocket Gamer - March 25th, 2020
- What's Still on Ravens To-Do List Now that the defensive line has been addressed, the - BaltimoreRavens.com - March 25th, 2020
- Did you solve it? Meet the puzzle king - The Guardian - March 24th, 2020
- Creative Video Games to Play While Quarantined - Hyperallergic - March 24th, 2020
- People are curbing their stay-at-home anxiety the analog way: With puzzles - CNN - March 24th, 2020
- Puzzles and Kids Toys Flying Off Shelves Amid Coronavirus Pandemic - TMZ - March 24th, 2020
- Doom Eternal: Tips and tricks to survive the whole game - VentureBeat - March 24th, 2020
- Its a Perfect Time to Play Video Games. And You Shouldnt Feel Bad About It. - The New York Times - March 23rd, 2020
- Can you solve it? Meet the puzzle king - The Guardian - March 23rd, 2020
- Release Radar: Our pick of the week's best TV, movies, and games (March 23 - 29) - GamesRadar+ - March 23rd, 2020
- The Revolution In Educational Gaming Will Not Be Recognizable - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Games of the week Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Murder By Numbers, Crossy Road Castle and Butter Royale - Inverness Courier - March 23rd, 2020
- Philly-based puzzle company offers a visually stunning antidote to the coronavirus craziness - The Philadelphia Citizen - March 23rd, 2020
- PC's Leslie Huffman named LKC player of the year | News, Sports, Jobs - Marietta Times - March 23rd, 2020
- Title win the last piece of the puzzle for stoked Cats - The West Australian - March 22nd, 2020
- Tired of the coronavirus lockdown? Here are five games to pass the time - Deccan Herald - March 21st, 2020
- Commanding the Situation - The New York Times - March 21st, 2020
- One Of The Best Switch Games Is Discounted On The Eshop - GameSpot - March 21st, 2020
- UK turns to board games, puzzles, and crafting as suppliers and toy shops prepare families for school closures - Toy News - March 21st, 2020
- From Proust to puzzles: The coronavirus is shifting the focus of France's star rabbi - JTA News - March 21st, 2020
- Stuck at home? 10 activities for families to try to keep busy while out of school - Austin Daily Herald - Austin Herald - March 21st, 2020
- UNTITLED GOOSE GAME SNEAKS AWAY WITH THE WIN FOR GAME OF THE YEAR AT THE 20th ANNUAL GAME DEVELOPERS CHOICE AWARDS - Associated Press - March 20th, 2020
- Your turn to find some fun with the family - The Spokesman-Review - March 20th, 2020
- How you can help local businesses while still practicing social distancing during the coronavirus outbreak - OregonLive - March 20th, 2020
- Lilith Games Brings the Puzzle-Filled Fun of Mr. Pumpkin 2 to Mobile This April - GamingLyfe Network - March 19th, 2020
- This 1000-Piece Puzzle Will Help You Rediscover Classic Childhood Toys and Games - HouseBeautiful.com - March 19th, 2020
- Thinking Inside the Box by Adrienne Raphel review adventures with crosswords - The Guardian - March 19th, 2020
- UNTITLED GOOSE GAME SNEAKS AWAY WITH THE WIN FOR GAME OF THE YEAR AT THE 20th ANNUAL GAME DEVELOPERS CHOICE AWARDS - GlobeNewswire - March 19th, 2020
- The Best Free Games to Try Out From the Steam Game Festival - Lifehacker - March 19th, 2020
- Dr Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch review: entertaining and useful - but doesn't live up to the original game - Hartlepool Mail - March 19th, 2020
- 'When the Past Was Around' Tells a Heartbreaking Story Through Puzzles - Indie Games Plus - March 19th, 2020
- Being on lockdown isnt all fun and games but families need fun and these games help - fox4kc.com - March 19th, 2020
- Bored at home? Tabletop games help ease the self-isolation blahs - Madison.com - March 19th, 2020
- The 19 best video games to play during coronavirus isolation - PennLive - March 18th, 2020
- The Biggest Puzzle This Escape Room Company Must Solve? How to Grow the Right Way - Inc. - March 18th, 2020
- Chess: controversial world Candidates starts in Ekaterinburg but will it finish? - Financial Times - March 18th, 2020
- The 9 best two-player board games - Vox.com - March 18th, 2020
- Coronavirus: i paper will include a four-page games and crosswords pull-out, plus how to get it delivered - inews - March 18th, 2020
- Being on lockdown isn't all fun and games. But families need fun - and these games help - KTVZ - March 18th, 2020
- 6 Fun Indoor Activities to Beat the Extreme Cold in Ontario - Net Newsledger - March 18th, 2020
- How rookies Adam Fox and Ryan Lindgren became the top 'D' pair for NY Rangers - The Journal News | LoHud.com - March 18th, 2020
- Futsal Super League: The exciting second round returns with three Matchday 6 games - Kawowo Sports - March 18th, 2020
- Atlanta institution offers 'variety' of indoor activities - FOX 5 Atlanta - March 18th, 2020
- Supercell soft-launches match-and-solve puzzle game with meta similar to that of Wildscapes - Game World Observer - March 17th, 2020
- 24 Jigsaws and Puzzle Games For Kids to Work on While Home From School - POPSUGAR - March 17th, 2020
- Bust stuck-at-home boredom with these Target game and puzzle deals - Real Homes - March 17th, 2020
- Heres Looking at You, Grid: A History of Crosswords and Their Fans - The New York Times - March 17th, 2020
- Five new Steam games you probably missed (March 16, 2020) - PC Gamer - March 17th, 2020
- Fun and educational games, activities to save your sanity during coronavirus school break - cleveland.com - March 17th, 2020
- The creator of Dicey Dungeons and VVVVVV is giving thousands of copies of his games away for free - PC Gamer - March 17th, 2020
- The Gamification Of Cybersecurity Training - Forbes - March 17th, 2020
- Games Inbox: Are you impressed by the Xbox Series X? - Metro.co.uk - March 17th, 2020