Eye of the Temple is an upcoming VR game that takes full advantage of the room-scale abilities of your VR headset, letting you walk, dodge, and duck your way through a vast temple complex. You use your own two feet to make your way through, which really brings you closer to the feeling of truly being Indiana Jones. Oh, and theres a torch and whip. And a hat.
The games First Steps demo, which is available for free on Steam, offers a pretty generous amount of gameplay. It took me about 45 minutes to finish, of course with a few deaths and back-tracking to account for. Theres an almost overwhelming amount of extra things to do and pathways to explore, and thats just the demo.
If the full game, which is said to arrive on PC VR headsets sometime in 2020, can manage to serve up the same level of wonderment in a bigger package, we may have a really interesting and well-realized game on our hands. Moreover, well have one that really pushes the capabilities of room-scale locomotion.
If youve ever been to a large-scale VR attraction like The Void, the principle behind Eye of the Temple is essentially the same: even though youre physically walking in a 2m area (20 ft) in your house, youre shuffled around the in-game world in such a way that you never leave your playing area. This is done in a number of clever ways.
Firstly, the game makes heavy use of moving blocks which are just big enough to stand on and transport you through the world. These can take you horizontally through the puzzle-like configuration of multiple blocks to reach specific goals, but also up and down to different levels within the game. Its a good way of getting you to travel longer distances than you normally would with only so much space in your living room, office, or bedroom.
And believe me: youll need all the space you can get, lest you want to violently bump your desk, closet, or priceless Ming Dynasty-era vase.
The second method is even more clever, although it definitely felt the weirdest in terms of overall comfort. Rolling pillars are there to move you forward in game while you physically move backwards, as if you were trying to balance on a cartoon tree trunk spinning in water. This, in practice, lets you reset your standing position while moving forward in the game, although it really just felt like another cool skill-based trap to traverse.
I also saw a minecart track which wasnt accessible in the demo, so you might consider that three really fun and engaging ways of moving around so far.
As for non-block based locomotion puzzles, the most difficult of which is a room with a very Indian Jones-themed ceiling drop, youre also given a torch and bull whip, the latter of which unfurls automatically when you reach a far-away lever or other puzzle element. The whip will definitely take you a while to get used to; I flailed around and missed targets more than I care to admit.
The torch is used in puzzles too (find the fire at point A, light the torch and get it to point B to activate something, etc) but it also adds a cool exploration vibe to it all, as the torchs light dances around dynamically and helps bring dark indoor spaces to life.
Indie developer Rune Skovbo Johansen started work on Eye of the Temple back in Spring 2016basically the very beginning of room-scale gaming. Since then, it seems many VR games have taken a turn towards seated play, and methods that rely more on artificial locomotion to get users moving in-game, making this both a unique, and uniquely well done adventure-themed puzzle game so far.
If you want to keep tabs on the full game, you can wishlist it on Steam here. Theres no specific launch date yet outside of 2020, so well be keeping our eyes peeled in the meantime.
- Supraland Review GameSpew - GameSpew - October 23rd, 2020
- RetroBeat: 5 other games Nintendo needs to finally bring to the U.S. - VentureBeat - October 23rd, 2020
- Gen Z mobile users more likely to play games, but spend less time in top titles - Pocket Gamer.Biz - October 23rd, 2020
- Embrace the parkour madness of BH Trials on Xbox One - TheXboxHub - October 23rd, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Fire Emblem' Headed West, 'Pokemon Sword/Shield: The Crown Tundra' and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - October 23rd, 2020
- Train your fingers and become Lord of the Click on Xbox One - TheXboxHub - October 23rd, 2020
- Dodging Death In Disc Room Is A Lot Of Fun - Kotaku - October 23rd, 2020
- PUYO PUYO TETRIS 2 To Introduce RPG Elements With The Brand-New "Skill Battle" Mode - GameFragger.com - October 23rd, 2020
- The best games on Xbox Game Pass for console and PC right now (October 2020) - For The Win - October 22nd, 2020
- RPG? Puzzle? Parlor Game? Escape Room? This Game Is All Four and More - Publishers Weekly - October 22nd, 2020
- Puzzle Break Long Island is Back, With More Fun and Safety than Ever Before! - LongIsland.com - October 22nd, 2020
- Forget Games with Gold, this Xbox Game Pass addition is the big news for October - Express - October 22nd, 2020
- Ban for annoying puzzle ads which don't represent the actual game - Wales Online - October 22nd, 2020
- Why people are still obsessed with candy crush saga - Livemint - October 22nd, 2020
- The 25 Best Horror Games To Play On Halloween 2020 - GameSpot - October 22nd, 2020
- Blaseball developer is bringing a 'slice of life' puzzle game to PC next year - PC Gamer - October 20th, 2020
- Best upcoming Xbox Series X games you'll need to play - CNET - October 20th, 2020
- McAdam: Salary arbitration a bigger puzzle this offseason - bostonsportsjournal.com - October 20th, 2020
- TAFFY: FEED THE KITTY, App Game Based on the Cartoon TAFFY, is Now Available - Broadway World - October 20th, 2020
- Forget Games with Gold, this Xbox Game Pass addition is the big news for October - True Hollywood Talk - October 20th, 2020
- 5 games that sparked the 'casual' player movement - The Star - October 20th, 2020
- Genshin Impact Amber Puzzle: Win cool Prizes, use this simple guide to click Amber photos! Only a week... - The Sportsrush - October 20th, 2020
- 10 Most Innovative Indie Platformers | Game Rant - GameRant - October 20th, 2020
- What the critics are saying about Amnesia: Rebirth - SVG - October 20th, 2020
- Chiefs kept on the ground, but run past Bills anyway - Arkansas Online - October 20th, 2020
- 10 Games That Are Educational And Fun | TheGamer - TheGamer - October 18th, 2020
- Sony Refuses To Discount PS4 Version Of Return Of the Obra Dinn - Screen Rant - October 18th, 2020
- Apex Legends, Jiu Jitsu, Monster Hunter & Other Trailers Released This Week - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 18th, 2020
- Ban for annoying puzzle ads which don't represent the actual game - Bristol Live - October 18th, 2020
- Cube Escape dodges the end of the Flash era with a new collection on Steam - PC Gamer - October 18th, 2020
- TouchArcade Game of the Week: 'Poor Thief' TouchArcade - Touch Arcade - October 17th, 2020
- Boundary-breaking in video games is unholy and wrong - The A.V. Club - October 17th, 2020
- 5 great horror games for 2020: Where to get that Halloween horror fix - Sportskeeda - October 17th, 2020
- Ban for annoying puzzle ads which don't represent the actual game - MyLondon - October 17th, 2020
- PS4 New Releases - New PS4 Games Releasing This Week (October 19 - October 25) - PlayStation Universe - October 17th, 2020
- Review: Whats Inside the Box? A Rewarding (Rewording) Time - The New York Times - October 15th, 2020
- Best Android and iOS games of the week [15/10/2020] re:Jerusalem - re:Jerusalem - October 15th, 2020
- 8 Tips for Improving Reaction Time in Video Games - VGR.com - October 15th, 2020
- I Am Rubber, You Are Glue! Celebrating 30 Years Of Monkey Island - TheGamer - October 15th, 2020
- Playrix's ads banned in UK as misleading - Game World Observer - October 15th, 2020
- The Kansas City Chiefs May Have Just Identified the Missing Piece to Their Super Bowl Puzzle - Sportscasting - October 15th, 2020
- Before the 'Amnesia': Looking Back on Frictional Games' 'Penumbra' Series - Bloody Disgusting - October 15th, 2020
- Raji: An Ancient Epic arrives on Steam today, a tale about Indian mythology - PC Invasion - October 15th, 2020
- Have You Heard Of The Internets Hardest Puzzle And Biggest Mystery? Check Out Cicada 3301 - Scary Mommy - October 13th, 2020
- Galacide Takes the Speed and Intensity of a SHMUP and Adds in a Dash of Match Puzzling for a Thrilling Alien Adventure Coming to Consoles October 23... - October 13th, 2020
- Stay off the web with these games - The New Indian Express - October 13th, 2020
- Renegade and EC Comics Team Up to Bring Classic Comic Covers to the World of Puzzles - GeekTyrant - October 13th, 2020
- Treat Yourself This Spooky Season with These 5 Indie Games - Nerdist - October 13th, 2020
- Hakim Ziyech is the final piece of the Chelsea jigsaw puzzle - The Pride of London - October 13th, 2020
- 10 Best 2D Games On Steam (According To Metacritic) - TheGamer - October 13th, 2020
- The Most Fun Virtual Murder Mystery Parties You Can Host This Halloween - Oprah Mag - October 13th, 2020
- Reflection of Mine IS A Difficult Puzzle Game Headed For Xbox One, PS5, And Nintendo Switch - Happy Gamer - October 10th, 2020
- Every Pokemon Game On The 3DS, Ranked (According To Metacritic) - GameRant - October 10th, 2020
- Explore Ancient Greece in This Weeks Good-Ass Games at Good-Ass Prices - The Root - October 10th, 2020
- Sony Reveals 10 PS4 Games That Won't Work on PS5 | Game Rant - GameRant - October 10th, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Filament', 'I Am Dead', 'Game Dev Tycoon', and Today's Other New Releases, Plus the Latest Sales - Touch Arcade - October 8th, 2020
- 10 Super Mario Spin-Offs That Are Nothing Like The Main Games - TheGamer - October 8th, 2020
- From Game Boy to 3DS: The legacy of Nintendo's handhelds - GamesIndustry.biz - October 8th, 2020
- 10 PC Games to Check Out This October - Power Up Gaming - October 8th, 2020
- The Epic Games Store free games of the week are Abzu & Rising Storm 2 - PC Invasion - October 8th, 2020
- Pokemon: A Step-By-Step Guide To Soft Resetting | TheGamer - TheGamer - October 8th, 2020
- Ghost of a Tale, Neighbours Back From Hell, The Survivalists, FIFA 21, and Ikenfell hit the Switch - Games Asylum - October 8th, 2020
- 10 Great Multitasking Games Similar To Overcooked | Game Rant - GameRant - October 8th, 2020
- 'Rain City' is the perfect puzzle game to spend a few hours on | Clocked - Happy Mag - October 7th, 2020
- Lesson of the Day: 35 Thoughts About Mario on Super Marios 35th Anniversary - The New York Times - October 7th, 2020
- Best-selling book Prisoners of Geography eyes board games, strategy games, quizzes and puzzles in edutainment licensing move - Toy News - October 7th, 2020
- 2D Games vs. 3D Games: What Are the Differences? | MakeUseOf - MakeUseOf - October 7th, 2020
- 'QB Planets' Takes Players to a World of Beautiful Cube Puzzles - Indie Games Plus - October 7th, 2020
- Swords of Gargantua Creators Thirdverse Secures $8.5M Funding for More VR Games - Road to VR - October 7th, 2020
- Steam's Autumn Game Festival Is On Now With Tons Of Free Demos - TheGamer - October 7th, 2020
- Southgate's England puzzle: lots of new pieces but no clear pattern - The Guardian - October 7th, 2020
- After Almost A Year Of Epic Exclusivity, Mind-Bending Puzzler Superliminal Is Coming To Steam - TheGamer - October 6th, 2020
- Vegas Golden Knights: Pietrangelo is the final piece to the Stanley Cup puzzle - Vegas Hockey Knight - October 6th, 2020
- Create Your Own Games With This Discounted Training Bundle - PCMag.com - October 6th, 2020
- Surrealist Puzzle-Platformer 'DARQ' Headed to Current And Next-Gen Consoles - Bloody Disgusting - October 6th, 2020
- Holiday 2020 Gift Guide - Great PS4 Games & Accessories To Buy This Holiday Season - PlayStation Universe - October 4th, 2020
- Why be bored? A new board-game bar opens in downtown Canton - Canton Repository - October 4th, 2020
- Pikuniku is free on the Epic Games Store - KitGuru - October 3rd, 2020
- Pikuniku, the adorable game of dystopia and revolution, is free on the Epic Store - PC Gamer - October 3rd, 2020
- Family Game Night Is Back On In 2020 With Help From Geppetto's Toys - Coronado Eagle and Journal - October 3rd, 2020