For many students, winter break is an excellent time to recover from the exhausting fall semester.
But as the January days grow colder and drag on, a break can become boring. So what to do when you have an entire month to yourself?
Play video games of course.
The problem is, it can be hard to choose which ones to play, especially for the inexperienced. To help with that, we compiled a list of video games to consider.
Stardew Valley - Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation Vita, iOS, Android
To offset winters chill, maybe you need to go to greener pastures, which Stardew Valley is all about. In the game, your character discovers their deceased grandfather has left them a rundown farm in a small country town called Stardew Valley.
The concept of the game is simple: live your life in the town, take care of your farm, make friends (romantic or platonic) and attempt to make an honest living. There are quests you can complete, but the game gives players free reign to do what they wish every day. Stardew Valley has something to offer for everyone, and thanks to a recent update, if you dont want to play alone, the game supports multiplayer as well.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Nintendo Switch
If youre looking for a multiplayer game that can really get your blood pumping for both casual and hardcore gamers, look no further than Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. This crossover fighting game (the fifth in the series) features a roster of 74 popular video game characters whom players pit against each other in either single player or multiplayer matches.
This newest entry into the series features updated graphics, a larger roster and new stages, making Super Smash Bros. Ultimate worth it, even for those who own previous installments.
Regardless of your experience with the series, this game provides everything from great party entertainment to nail-biting competitive action.
Halo: The Master Chief Collection - Xbox One, Microsoft Windows
Anyone who has dabbled in first-person shooters has probably heard of the Halo series. This science-fiction multimedia franchise takes place in a universe where an old civilization known as the Forerunners create a group of superweapons called the Halo Array to defeat a parasitic alien race. In the future, an alliance of aliens that worship this old civilization are engaged in an intergalactic war with humans. The player takes on the role of Master Chief Petty Officer John-117, a supersoldier created by humans to fight against the aliens.
Halo: The Master Chief Collection is a compilation of Halo 2, 3, Combat Evolved Anniversary, ODST and Reach, all remastered with modern visuals. Although the collection was originally released in 2014 for the Xbox One, it was released on Microsoft Windows in December.
Each of the games have interesting stories and addicting multiplayer modes making it great for both playing by yourself and with friends.
Final Fantasy XIV - Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, macOS
For those who enjoy massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPG), give Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV) a try. The Final Fantasy series is one of the most well-known RPGs, and despite its rough launch, the MMO has gone on to become a widely praised and deep RPG experience.
In FFXIV, the player you create lives in the fictional land of Eorzea. After an apocalyptic event, the player is transported five years into the future to avoid being destroyed. During the game, the player has to deal with rebuilding Eorzea and another invading empire.
Now is a good time to get involved in the game as Shadowbringers, the latest big expansion, came out in 2019. With all the new content and possible future updates, Final Fantasy XIV is a game you can easily spend thousands of hours on.
Gris - macOS, Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch, iOS, PlayStation 4
For a game that is simultaneously chill and aesthetically beautiful, the platform-adventure indie game Gris is a perfect fit for VSCO girls everywhere. Gris, which originally came out at the end of 2018, follows the character Gris, who is dealing with loss and grief in a world devoid of color. As Gris navigates through obstacles and puzzles, she slowly gathers lights that give her special abilities and help her on her quest to return color to the world.
While the watercolor-like style and calming soundtrack make the game a gorgeous work of art, the platforming and puzzles make the game difficult enough to provide a good challenge. Although this game is not long and lacks a multiplayer element, it is nonetheless a beautiful journey, perfect for those who want to casually experience one of 2019s best games.
Anastasia Wilds is an assistant arts editor and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and on Twitter @AnastasiaWilds
- Explore a hole new world in free puzzle game Hole and Box - PC Gamer - February 28th, 2020
- The Room: A Dark Matter Coming to All Major VR Headsets in Late March, Trailer Here - Road to VR - February 28th, 2020
- ART OF THE WEEK | Why You Should Play (or Replay) the Portal Series - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - February 28th, 2020
- Maquette is a daring puzzle sport love story a decade within the making - BingePost - February 28th, 2020
- 'Survivor 40: Winners at War': Who Was Voted Off in Episode 3? The Blindsides Begin at the 4th Tribal Council - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 28th, 2020
- Puzzle No. 3526 - The Nation - February 27th, 2020
- Whitehaven still trying to solve fixtures puzzle - News & Star - February 27th, 2020
- A Good Puzzle to Have for Vance Vice - 247Sports - February 27th, 2020
- MasterPieces To Debut Clifford The Big Red Dog Games and Puzzles Line - aNb Media - February 27th, 2020
- 'Dispatches from Elsewhere': Meet the 4 ordinary people who become 'unwitting participants' in mysterious game - MEAWW - February 27th, 2020
- Baldur's Gate 3 looks great even when everything is going wrong - PC Gamer - February 27th, 2020
- Timelie Is coming To PC, A Beautiful Puzzle Game That Follows The Story Of A Girl And Her Cat - Happy Gamer - February 26th, 2020
- One Of The Most Creepy Puzzle Game Little Nightmares To Release Its part 2 - The Inner Sane - February 26th, 2020
- Prep Regionals Preview: Five Twin Harbors teams play in regionals this weekend - The Daily World - February 26th, 2020
- Neil Cameron: Why the Rangers players have let Steven Gerrard down - HeraldScotland - February 26th, 2020
- How conservatives rigged our politics: Republicans are beating Democrats at a game they dont even know theyre playing - AlterNet - February 26th, 2020
- A wizard themed mystery game is coming to Edinburgh - here's everything you need to know - The Scotsman - February 26th, 2020
- Disc Room for Windows PC is an action game, full of deadly buzzsaws - Polygon - February 24th, 2020
- The Global Online Toys and Games Retailing Market is expected to grow by USD 9.10 bn during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of 10% during the... - February 24th, 2020
- New History Mystery escape game Goin' Up City opens at Museum of Norwich | What's on and things to do in Norfolk - Eastern Daily Press - February 24th, 2020
- Surviving the Season as 2020 Supercross Hits the Halfway Point - Supercross - Racer X Online - February 24th, 2020
- March Madness, but for gamers - University at Buffalo The Spectrum - February 24th, 2020
- Markus Hannikainen traded to the Arizona Coyotes for a conditional pick - The Cannon - February 24th, 2020
- Don Sweeney doesnt land big name, but fills needs - Boston Herald - February 24th, 2020
- Resolved - The New York Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Can You Flip Your Way To Victory? - FiveThirtyEight - February 23rd, 2020
- The puzzle why Millwall seem to perform better against top sides boss gives opinion | - Southwark News - February 23rd, 2020
- 'This Is Us' Fans Think the Time Capsule Reveals How the Series Ends for Randall, Kevin, and Kate - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 23rd, 2020
- Buffalo Games Partners With BuzzFeed To Create Line Of Party Games - Yahoo Finance - February 22nd, 2020
- Goff: Three trades the Wild should consider that don't involve draft picks - SKOR North - February 22nd, 2020
- Astros' Reddick tells of death threats to his children over cheating scandal - The Guardian - February 22nd, 2020
- TFNY: Winning Moves Debuts New Games and Puzzles - The Toy Book - February 21st, 2020
- Exciting New Games And Puzzles From Winning Moves USA - PRNewswire - February 21st, 2020
- inbento, the excellent food-themed puzzle game, will be heading for Nintendo Switch in March - Pocket Gamer - February 21st, 2020
- Kosmokrats Is A New Russian Inspired Zero-Gravity Adventure Puzzle Game That Is Headed Straight For Steam... - Happy Gamer - February 21st, 2020
- Atari launches new mobile games to accelerate its growth and issues new shares with preferential subscription rights in partnership with two... - February 21st, 2020
- InnerSpace: What You Should Know About the Epic Games Store Freebie - CCN.com - February 21st, 2020
- 6 Casino and Slot Game Trends to Be on the Lookout for in 2020 - Net Newsledger - February 21st, 2020
- TFNY: MasterPieces Debuts Clifford the Big Red Dog Puzzle and Game Collection The Toy Book - The Toy Book - February 20th, 2020
- World of Horror is a creepy, retro, and completely hypnotic horror game - The Verge - February 20th, 2020
- Retooling Pistons will use seasons last 25 games to help plot their future, Casey says - Pistons.com - February 20th, 2020
- Survivor: Winners at War Recap: A Fire Token Economy Revamps the Game - TVLine - February 20th, 2020
- Second-Half Surge: Vancouver Whitecaps use pair of second-half goals to coast to win over Revolution - Between The Sticks - February 20th, 2020
- The 6 best and 6 worst Lord of the Rings games - Looper - February 20th, 2020
- Fight Zombie Gorillas and Save Your Spaceship at a VR Hub in a Kensington Warehouse - Broadsheet - February 20th, 2020
- 50 Ideas For Things To Do Around Cleveland In The Cold - Talk Radio 1210 WPHT - February 19th, 2020
- 'I can sense the hurt': Mookie Betts, David Price give World Series hope to Dodgers team hungry for a title - USA TODAY - February 19th, 2020
- Show Interest - The New York Times - February 19th, 2020
- Cavaliers legend Jim Chones loves team bucking small-ball trend: Theres always going to be room for a big man - Akron Beacon Journal - February 19th, 2020
- Video game review: 7th Sector: An inspired sci-fi game from the point of view of a spark - Worcester Telegram - February 18th, 2020
- MouseCraft Will Bring A Blend Of Tetris And Lemmings To Switch Next Week - Nintendo Life - February 18th, 2020
- PATH OF GIANTS Review: Teamwork Makes The Puzzles Work - GameTyrant - February 17th, 2020
- Video Game Makers Want to Get Players Off the Couch - The New York Times - February 17th, 2020
- Fortnite Teasing Next Season's Content With Intercepted Transmission - Screen Rant - February 17th, 2020
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate Will Be Free At Epic Games Store This Week - GameSpot - February 17th, 2020
- Is it just a new ballpark? What to expect from the 2020 Texas Rangers - WFAA.com - February 17th, 2020
- Pass a controller and gear up for these co op games - Nintendo - February 16th, 2020
- Florida teacher shocks Pat Sajak by solving Wheel of Fortune puzzle with only four letters - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - February 16th, 2020
- LCHS girls advances to the NW Regional Championship game with a win over WInfield 47-32 - Times Daily - February 16th, 2020
- Free Online Puzzle Games and Board Games from AddictingGames.com - February 15th, 2020
- Those Who Remain: hands-on with the scary puzzle game - Den of Geek UK - February 15th, 2020
- Leonardo and chess - TheArticle - February 15th, 2020
- Florida teacher shocks Pat Sajak by solving Wheel of Fortune puzzle with only four letters - Apalachicola Times - February 15th, 2020
- Lamar opens new season with win over Rhode Island - 12newsnow.com KBMT-KJAC - February 15th, 2020
- Google announces five new games for Stadia, the first since the cloud service launched - The Verge - February 14th, 2020
- Patterned, the popular Apple Arcade puzzle game, has received some new Valentine's and Spring themed content - Pocket Gamer - February 14th, 2020
- Untitled Goose Game HONKs its way to GOTY at the 2020 DICE Awards - PCGamesN - February 14th, 2020
- Best new mobile games on iOS and Android - February 2020 round-up - Metro.co.uk - February 14th, 2020
- GTFO is a punishing co-op shooter where shooting should be considered a last resort - GamesRadar - February 14th, 2020
- Domingo Santana Adds Power (And Leaky Defense) To The Cleveland Indians Roster - Forbes - February 14th, 2020
- Can you find the engagement ring in this Valentine's Day brainteaser? - Insider - INSIDER - February 14th, 2020
- Zynga's Earnings Report Sends the Stock Up. Will the Rise Continue? - Motley Fool - February 14th, 2020
- Putting the Pieces Together: Florida Baseball Season Preview - ESPN 98.1 FM - 850 AM WRUF - WRUF - February 14th, 2020
- Those Who Remain: Hands-on with the Scary Puzzle Game - Den of Geek US - February 13th, 2020
- How to Solve the Dawn of Fear Chess Piece Puzzle | Game Rant - GameRant - February 13th, 2020
- Apple Arcade gives its games the Valentine's Day treatment - CNET - February 13th, 2020
- Historic & Momentous Weekend Of Hockey In The WCHA - FloHockey - February 13th, 2020
- Xavier and Tamia Tillman prepare to welcome son to family triangle - The State News - February 13th, 2020
- Here's what you need to buy to play Half-Life: Alyx on March 23 - The Next Web - February 13th, 2020
- Smart Toys and Games Debuting New Products at Toy Fair, Booth 2835 - Yahoo Finance - February 13th, 2020