(L-R) Linda Cardellini and Christina Applegate in Dead to Me, Season 2 Courtesy of Netflix
Dead to Me season 2 may have been better than the first. Second seasons of shows can sometimes suffer from the sophomore slump.
Sometimes, Things are changed that dont need a fix and characters are turned into shells of what they were.
Other times, the show itself is transformed all together. Thus becoming an entirely different show. This isnt the case here. The characters and story improved. Dead to Me remained the show that we enjoyed. It did, however, improve, especially the characters.
We ranked the seven best characters in season 2! Take a look while you wait to find out if Dead to Me is renewed for season 3.
7. Karen (Suzy Nakamura)
She may not have had a lot of screen time, but Karen was great regardless. Whenever she showed up, she was going to be entertaining and absolutely annoying, especially to Jen Harding.She shows up, says and does inappropriate things, and departs leaving a maddening aura.
Dead to Me is very much a dark comedy as much as it is a drama. Karens character added a somewhat wholesome vibe in a show thats definitely not known for it. Her storyline isnt one thats crucial to the show, but it is necessary.
6. Michelle Gutierrez (Natalie Morales)
Michelle Gutierrez showed up inDead to Me and immediately became a good character.
She was one of only two genuinely good adults on the show. A ray of sunshine throughout the series, especially when things got dark.
She smiled, was understanding of problems, and loving of everyone she came in contact with. When she found out that Judy Hale had prior experiences with her ex-girlfriend, Ana, she didnt lash out. She was still civil. Its not shocking that she was hurt more than anyone in this show. Itll be interesting to see if she returns in season 3.
5. Ben Wood (James Marsden)
The first time we saw Ben Wood, its certain everyone watching thought or said, wait, what?
The reason given made sense, even if it was a very soap opera explanation. Thankfully, Ben was a welcomed addition to the show. Along with Michelle, hes the other character that was actually a good person.
Considering the uncertainty of his brother being alive, he remained jovial and positive. Well, that was until the last 60 seconds of the season. After that, all bets are off. With everything he went through, this isnt shocking. Hes definitely going to have a bigger role in the next season.
4. Charlie Harding (Sam McCarthy)
Charlie Harding was a better character this time around. Not only did he have a bigger role, but he was better at it as well. He may have been irritating at times, but that was part of what made him good.
Being a teenager is bad enough. He was also dealing with a mother who was irritable from keeping a major secret. As Dead to Meseason 2 progressed, he became easier to tolerate because he started to learn from his mistakes. It was great seeing him get along with his mother in the last few episodes. When he embraces her in Where Do We Go From Here, it may have been the most heartwarming moment of the series.
3. Ana Perez (Diana-Maria Riva)
Ana Perez may have seemed intense in season 1, but its understandable. Shes a detective dealing with someone who she (rightfully) thought was a murderer. Ana had a job to do.
As season 2 progressed, we learn that she was also dealing with emotions from a prior relationship. To make things worse, she lived with her ex.
So who knows if she had to see someone she loved move on while she still harbored feelings. In the end, she made a tough decision, one that was completely unlike her normal personality. Adding to what was already a layered character.
2. Judy Hale (Linda Cardellini)
In season 2, Judy was just as good as she was in season 1. That may appear as a slight, but it isnt. Sometimes you dont need to improve.
Judys personality was the perfect counter to Jen Harding. Judy was very into energy, the Earth, and trying to please everyone. She came off as naive at times, but she eventually learned how to say no. Right on time too.
Judy almost made a decision that would have cost her a lot of time, money, and energy. With this newfound way of thinking, will this hurt her relationship with Jen or strengthen it?
1. Jen Harding (Christine Applegate)
Theres no question that Jen Harding is the best character on Dead to Me.
She showed an array of emotions throughout. Her best moment was when she finally went too far and almost broke Judy. Jen insulted Judy beyond anything weve seen.
Considering the things shed already said to her, that says a lot.
Thankfully, she had the opportunity to make things right. The two embraced in the car and had an emotional moment. It was the first time Jen knew she was wrong. Even when she killed Steve Woods, she lied to justify what she did.
In the end, Jen was willing to give up her life and freedom to keep her kids safe and out of prison. She even admits that she hasnt been the best mother or friend. Jen evolved more than anyone on Dead to Me.
Despite the evolution, Jen still curses like a sailor and says whats on her mind. The difference is now shes aware of how the things she says affects people, especially the ones closest to her.
What do you think? How would you rate the characters on this show? Let us know in the comments below.
Next: Dead to Me season 3 release date and more
- Creaks, a trippy 2D puzzle game, arrives on PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC in July - Daily Star - July 3rd, 2020
- The recursive world simulation & puzzle-making process in Maquette - PlayStation.Blog - July 3rd, 2020
- Maquette Will Bring Mind-Bendingly Clever Recursive Puzzles To PS5, PS4, And PC This Year - GameSpot - July 3rd, 2020
- How citizen scientists and video games are taking on Covid-19 - RTE.ie - July 3rd, 2020
- Felix The Reaper Comes To Life on iOS - GameSpace.com - July 3rd, 2020
- Turok and Grip highlight free games for Twitch Prime members this July - PC Invasion - July 3rd, 2020
- Incredibly Innovative Puzzle Game Carto Comes To PS4 This Fall - PlayStation Universe - July 1st, 2020
- This Doctor Who Sliding Puzzle Game Is Driving Me Insane and I Can't Stop Playing It - Gizmodo - July 1st, 2020
- Made in the USSR: 6 video games Soviets went crazy over - Russia Beyond - July 1st, 2020
- Adventure/puzzle game 'Carto' heading to Switch - GoNintendo - July 1st, 2020
- 10 Fantastic Disney Games From The 16-Bit Era | TheGamer - TheGamer - July 1st, 2020
- Top 10 Addictive Games That Can Help You Cure Boredom at the Workplace - ThisisXbox - July 1st, 2020
- With dinnertime singing and 1,000-piece puzzles, the Portland Thorns are settling into the bubble before faci - OregonLive - July 1st, 2020
- Games to Watch Out For This July GameSpew - GameSpew - June 30th, 2020
- Shelter Tails: Whoever adopts Hank will need a sense of humor - Times Herald-Record - June 30th, 2020
- Apple just unveiled its picks of the best iPad and iPhone apps of the year - here they are - TechRadar - June 30th, 2020
- Doctor Who fans are losing their minds over the new Thirteen Doctors game - RadioTimes - June 30th, 2020
- THOSE WHO REMAIN Review: Fear Of The Dark And Heavy Decisions - GameTyrant - June 30th, 2020
- Five new Steam games you probably missed (June 29, 2020) - PC Gamer - June 29th, 2020
- The Almost Gone Review - New Game Network - June 29th, 2020
- Power-Ups - The New York Times - June 29th, 2020
- United Fresh LIVE! Badge, Puzzle and Trivia winners announced - FreshPlaza.com - June 29th, 2020
- Review: Neversong's Moody Nightmare World Doesn't Strike the Right Chords - thirdcoastreview.com - June 29th, 2020
- How Xbox Series X Game Call Of The Sea Uses The Console's Power - GameSpot - June 29th, 2020
- The best new Android and iOS apps you should download this week - AndroidPIT - June 28th, 2020
- Nintendo Switch free games news: Two unmissable free downloads have just hit the eShop - Express - June 28th, 2020
- Apple Arcade needs games made with iPads in mind - heres why - TechRadar - June 28th, 2020
- Here's what we played during the Steam Game Festival Part 2 - GTOGG - June 28th, 2020
- Here are the discussions you missed in the PC Gamer forums this week - PC Gamer - June 28th, 2020
- Puzzler Superliminal Releasing July 7th - Pure PlayStation - June 26th, 2020
- THE ALMOST GONE Review: An Intriguing Puzzle Game With A Haunting Tale - GameTyrant - June 26th, 2020
- The Almost Gone review dreamlike puzzles unlock a world of dark unease - The Guardian - June 26th, 2020
- Urban Flow is coming tomorrow, 26th of June! - GamingLyfe Network - June 26th, 2020
- European eShop releases for the week of June 25th, 2020 - GoNintendo - June 26th, 2020
- Uncover the truth behind the dioramas of The Almost Gone , now available! - Gamasutra - June 26th, 2020
- Blair Witch, Mr. DRILLER DrillLand, Ninjala, Duke Nukem 3D, and SpongeBob Rehydrated hit the Switch - Games Asylum - June 26th, 2020
- Garden Story pushes its harvest back to 2021 - Shacknews - June 26th, 2020
- Dr. Mario World Introduces Dr Baby Wario, And We're Not Sure If He's Cute Or Not - GameSpot - June 24th, 2020
- An Ode to The End - SUPERJUMP - Medium - June 24th, 2020
- Indie Spotlight: Why KO_OP believes Apple Arcade is the perfect introduction for non-gamers - Pocket Gamer.Biz - June 24th, 2020
- Gotta drink up! Heres the official Sonic energy drink - Thumbsticks - June 24th, 2020
- Ever Forward is coming to Switch at the end of the year - Videogamer.com - June 24th, 2020
- The 10 Best Tetris Video Games Of All Time | Game Rant - GameRant - June 24th, 2020
- Five new games to play on your mobile this summer - The Upcoming - June 23rd, 2020
- 'Circulous', the Semi-Sequel to 'The Company Game' from Teenage Developer Chain Reaction Games, Now Available for Pre-Order - Touch Arcade - June 23rd, 2020
- Ever Forward by Pathea Games is Coming to Nintendo Switch - Gamasutra - June 23rd, 2020
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV Western Release on PlayStation 4 Set for October 27, PC and Switch in 2021 - Niche Gamer - June 23rd, 2020
- Time travel puzzle game The Great Perhaps coming to PS4, Xbox One, and Switch on July 10 - Gematsu - June 23rd, 2020
- The Last of Us Part 2 Review: A Brutally Heartfelt Masterpiece - KeenGamer News - June 23rd, 2020
- New Catherine: Full Body Switch Trailer Revealed at New Game Plus Expo - GameRant - June 23rd, 2020
- CLASS IN SESSION! MYSTERIOUS PUZZLE ADVENTURE GAME THE ACADEMY: THE FIRST RIDDLE UNVEILS ITS SECRETS TODAY - Gamasutra - June 22nd, 2020
- The World Video Game Hall of Fame 2020 inductees have been announced - My Nintendo News - June 22nd, 2020
- Page A4 | E-Edition | thetandd.com - The Times and Democrat - June 22nd, 2020
- 10 PS4 Games That Are Harder Than Dark Souls | Game Rant - GameRant - June 22nd, 2020
- Lots of us adopted dogs in quarantine: 'Dog Whisperer' Csar Milln has some tips - Greater Milwaukee Today - June 22nd, 2020
- Protagonists, Puzzles and Ports: An Interview With Ever Forward's Producer - GameSpew - June 22nd, 2020
- Picture Puzzle Market Share, Growth, Statistics, By Application, Production, Revenue & Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- The best retro games and PS4 remasters on sale - Explica - June 22nd, 2020
- Games of the week Skelattack, Maneater, Potata: Fairy Flower and SpongeBob: Patty Pursuit - Inverness Courier - June 22nd, 2020
- Solution to Riddle of the Week: The Pickleball Puzzle - Yahoo News - June 21st, 2020
- This is the first prescription video game for treating ADHD in kids - The Indian Express - June 21st, 2020
- What's something about games you didn't mind as a kid but can't stand now? - PC Gamer - June 21st, 2020
- How to Solve The Secret Silent Hill Clock Tower Puzzle in Dead by Daylight - Screen Rant - June 19th, 2020
- 15 must-try demos from the Steam Summer Game Festival - PCWorld - June 19th, 2020
- Augmented Reality Mobile Games Market to See Massive Growth by 2025 | Niantic, Sony, Six to Start - 3rd Watch News - June 19th, 2020
- Rising SEA Woven Is a Free Collection of Mini-Games Celebrating Southeast Asian Culture - The Escapist - June 19th, 2020
- Pokmon Caf Mix is an absolutely adorable puzzle game for Switch and mobile - The Verge - June 18th, 2020
- App Army Assemble: Reky - Is this Bauhaus-inspired puzzler a must-buy on mobile? - Pocket Gamer - June 18th, 2020
- Play This, Not That: The Last of Us Part II - SuperParent - June 17th, 2020
- Download over 900 demos in the Steam Summer Game Festival - AllGamers - June 17th, 2020
- Stockholm-based Stillfront lands 114 million to expand its global group of gaming studios - EU-Startups - June 17th, 2020
- 'Kosmokrats' Puts Starship-Building in the Hands of a Potato Peeler - Indie Games Plus - June 17th, 2020
- Copy Cats - The New York Times - June 17th, 2020
- The biggest news from the Upload VR Showcase: Summer Edition - Digital Trends - June 16th, 2020
- Ever Forward Interview - The Art Of Designing Narrative-Driven Puzzles - Noisy Pixel - June 16th, 2020
- Games from Iceberg Interactive in the Steam Summer Festival - FULLSYNC - June 16th, 2020
- Unitied, a Minimalist and Relaxing Puzzle Game coming to Switch June 25th - SwitchWatch - June 16th, 2020
- Go To Hell In VR Puzzler Trial By Teng From The Creators Of Form - UploadVR - June 16th, 2020
- Bundle for Racial Justice Closes with 8 Million Raised - Heavy.com - June 16th, 2020
- Surgeon Simulator 2 is Transplanting to the Epic Games Store in August - GameSpew - June 16th, 2020