Not counting the Pokdex, or Dream Radar apps, there were thirteen Pokmon games on the 3DS. Here there are ranked by Metacritic.
Not counting the Pokdex, or Dream Radar apps, there were thirteen Pokmon games on the 3DS. That is a record for the franchise although not far from the norm. Since it debuted over two decades ago, Nintendo and Game Freak have been eager to experiment and release mainline games and spin-offs aplenty for almost every console since the Game Boy.
RELATED: 5 Things We Miss From Early Pokmon Games (& 5 We Don't)
The 3DS then is no different. That number thirteen isnt even counting the multiple versions of each generation like Pokmon X/Y. In the rankings they will only count as one to make things simpler. So, of these thirteen titles, which can be skipped and what are the must play classics?
This was a free to play match-three puzzle game. Players would use Pokmon blocks to fight other Pokmon in the hopes of catching them in a way. It wasnt awful, but the free to play trappings certainly weighed this one down.
This one is at a tie with Pokmon Shuffle. While Nintendo has worked with Koei Tecmo on some Dynasty Warriors spinoffs, like Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors, they have never collaborated on a Pokmon Warriors project. Pokmon Rumble Blast follows a similar gameplay concept, but has an even greater monotonous wheel.
Four years after that, seemingly not learning any lessons from the experience, another entry was made. This time they went free to play which was a slight step up.
RELATED: Pokmon: 10 Storylines In The Show That Were Never Resolved
It didnt feel like a waste of money like the previous entry. Like Pokmon Shuffle though, the trappings were too high to really sink time into it without paying money.
This was the first Pokmon Mystery Dungeon game to grace the 3DS. For roguelikes, it is a very kid friendly version of the concept. These games, including this one, arent bad. They just dont offer much challenge to seasoned fans of the genre. Also of note they all tend to feel the same and Pokmon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity was no different.
Three years after that game debuted in 2012, another entry was born: Pokmon Super Mystery Dungeon. This one seemed to learn a lot of lessons and even evolved some concepts from gameplay elements to the graphics. Again, its not a spin-off one has to play in order to become a mega fan, but the series was at least getting better at this point.
This game is like Pokmon Shuffle, but it is not free to play. Its also a better made game because of that. It wont have any Tetris fans abandoning ship, but Pokmon Battle Trozei managed to blend the concept of Pokmon and puzzle games together in a coherent way.
Another genre that didnt seem possible forPokmon to ace is the adventure game. A talking, gruff sounding Pikachu that is a detective?
RELATED: Pokmon: 10 Things You Never Knew About The Original Red And Blue Games
Sounds ridiculous. Even though it is extremely easy to get through, the story is fun enough to keep players hooked. It was so good that it spawned the series first movie which was also fairly well received.
A somewhat better, more traditional puzzle game, for those looking, is Pokmon Picross. It doesnt have much to do with the branding just like Mario Picross doesnt. This is to say it is Picross but with a Pokmon skin. Thats not a bad thing for this brain teaser though.
Another 3DS game with basically a Pokmon skin is this addition of Art Academy. In all fairness it at least has many techniques to show how to draw some of ones favorites. Its more like a coloring book than a game but that being said, its also a very good coloring book with high production values.
Pokmon Omega Ruby got the 83 while its other half is just a point lower for whatever reason. Theyre good games only made better by these enhanced ports. The third generation of Pokmon games has always had a weird place in the hearts of fans. Not as bad games but just as odd half-steps coming off of Pokmon Gold/Silver.
Not much new was added to these games over the originals. There is more content, but also some missing as well. If one had to choose between these and the originals, reviews will make it obvious which one to go after.
These two games are almost tied in first place as Pokmon X also sits at an 87. Its counterpart got an 88 edging out this tie. Anyway, while not as innovative as those two games as the first mainline 3DS entries, Pokmon Sun/Moon added a lot too. The biggest changes came from gym battles and Pokmon having alternate, tropical versions of themselves like the surfing Raichu.
As previously mentioned, this was the debut of Pokmon on the 3DS. It was the first time players got into a more 3D gameplay style along with a different art aesthetic. Not only that, but they added Mega Evolutions which have split the fan base. The list of changes could go on but the point is these are the Pokmon games to play on the handheld.
NEXT: Pokmon: 10 Hilarious Gen III Memes Only True Fans Understand
Next 10 Best Ubisoft Characters Ever, Ranked
Tristan Jurkovich began his career as a journalist in 2011. His childhood love of video games and writing fuel his passion for archiving this great mediums history. He dabbles in every genre, but hes particularly fond of RPGs and portable consoles. Aside from writing, Tristan also produces a plethora of videos on his YouTube Channel, ReActionExaminer. Check it out!
Go here to read the rest:
Every Pokemon Game On The 3DS, Ranked (According To Metacritic) - GameRant
- Starry Garden: Collect Constellations and Adorable Animals - TechAcute - November 29th, 2020
- Every Xbox Series X Launch Game Ranked from Worst To Best (According To Metacritic) - GameRant - November 29th, 2020
- Games with Gold: Gat out of Hell, The Raven Set Their Sights on Xbox Series X Owners - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 27th, 2020
- 9 Online Puzzles That Will Give Your Brain a Workout - Study Breaks - November 27th, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Girabox', 'More Dark', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - November 27th, 2020
- Itch.io's Black Friday sale has Among Us and loads of indie goodies - Rock Paper Shotgun - November 27th, 2020
- The Legend of Bum-bo emerges from the sewer after a very difficult year - PCGamesN - November 27th, 2020
- Global Games and Puzzles Market 2020 to Witness Splendid Growth by 2027: Trefl SA, Springbok Puzzles, Eurographics, Inc., Ravensburger AG, Heye Puzzle... - November 27th, 2020
- Ten Puzzle Games You Must Have Played - Gameindustry.com - GameIndustry.com - November 26th, 2020
- Cook up a storm with this feast of games - Nintendo - November 26th, 2020
- Babe in the Woods - The New York Times - November 26th, 2020
- 'Spirit Of The North Enhanced Edition' Review: An Ethereal Escape - Electric Bento - November 26th, 2020
- Bored Of Playing Multiplayer Games? 7 Alternatives For You To Try - Our Culture - Our Culture Mag - November 26th, 2020
- 5 Memorable Viral Video Games (& 5 That Were Overhyped) - FandomWire - November 26th, 2020
- Home for the Holidays - toys and games | Holiday | unionleader.com - The Union Leader - November 26th, 2020
- First-Person Games vs. Third-Person Games: What Are the Differences? - MakeUseOf - November 26th, 2020
- Local Toy Store Thrive Amid Pandemic's Return To Board Games, Chess And Card Collecting - Rockland County Business Journal - November 26th, 2020
- Conferences join forces on virus testing procedures for refs - The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - November 25th, 2020
- Xbox Live Games with Gold reveals final batch of games for 2020 - SlashGear - November 25th, 2020
- Buffalo Games adds pieces to its puzzle through two deals - Buffalo News - November 25th, 2020
- Satisfying Puzzles And Tunes Make 'Carto' Perfect On The Switch - UPROXX - November 25th, 2020
- Best new mobile games on iOS and Android - November 2020 round-up - Metro.co.uk - November 25th, 2020
- Everyone Has Gone Missing In Point And Click Tiny Room Stories: Town Mystery - TheGamer - November 25th, 2020
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War review: a game as bloated and overwhelming as its name - The Verge - November 25th, 2020
- United Way of Berks County guide has ways you can volunteer or give gifts this holiday season - The Mercury - November 25th, 2020
- The Best PSP Games of All Time - Best gaming pro - November 25th, 2020
- The Latest Games To Play In Indonesia & Win - Inside Pulse - November 25th, 2020
- We reviewed (nearly) every game out now for the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X - The A.V. Club - November 25th, 2020
- Tristan Thompson is the missing piece to the Boston Celtics championship puzzle - NBA IN - November 25th, 2020
- More Dark Is A Puzzle-Platformer 'Intended For Adults', And It Launches On Switch This Week - Nintendo Life - November 25th, 2020
- STAFF OPINION: Hop in, loser. We're warping our sense of reality - The Beacon - November 23rd, 2020
- Rez and Tetris Effect Producer Tetsuya Mizuguchi Working on a "New Adventure with Synesthesia" with Enhance Games - Niche Gamer - November 23rd, 2020
- Mourinho: When the puzzle around him is perfect, Kane is fantastic - AS English - November 23rd, 2020
- Quick Trip to a Store and Back - The New York Times - November 23rd, 2020
- 10 Holiday Gifts to Give Any Game of Thrones Fans Missing the Show - Winter is Coming - November 23rd, 2020
- 'Call of Duty Mobile' & 'Among Us' Will Fight For The Title of Best Mobile Game 2020 - Digital Information World - November 23rd, 2020
- The Greatest Google Stadia Video games for 2020 - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - November 23rd, 2020
- Impact of Covid 19 On Augmented Reality Gaming Market 2020 Industry Challenges Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 - The Market Feed - November 23rd, 2020
- Everything Else Leaked in the Capcom Hack | Game Rant - GameRant - November 23rd, 2020
- 5 Most Memorable Viral Video Games Of All Time (& 5 That Were Really Stupid, Now That We Think About It) - Screen Rant - November 21st, 2020
- TouchArcade Game of the Week: 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead' - Touch Arcade - November 21st, 2020
- Tetris movie officially in the works, will star Rocketman's Taron Egerton - Destructoid - November 21st, 2020
- 3 Of The Hottest Video Games Dropping In December 2020 - Gstyle magazine - November 21st, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity', 'Micetopia', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - November 21st, 2020
- Behind the mask: A chat with the developers of Maskmaker - Blogdottv - November 21st, 2020
- The 30 best iPad games you need to play - The DHT News - November 21st, 2020
- Review: Microsofts new Xbox consoles are powerful and speedy, but are they necessary? - The Dallas Morning News - November 21st, 2020
- Can You Pass The Cranberry Sauce? - FiveThirtyEight - November 21st, 2020
- How a Solo Indie Developer Built the Best Rated Game on Oculus Quest - Road to VR - November 19th, 2020
- DREAMO, A LOVE LETTER TO THE NARRATIVE PUZZLE GENRE - Gamasutra - November 19th, 2020
- Blair Witch: Experience the Horror of the Movie By...Solving Puzzles? - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 19th, 2020
- Out Now: 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead', 'The First Tree', 'Moonlighter', 'One Night at Flumpty's', 'Tomb Toad', 'DeLight: The Journey Home',... - November 19th, 2020
- Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door are free on the Epic Games Store this week - Neowin - November 19th, 2020
- The Pathless review: The joy of the unknown | Entertainment - UT Daily Beacon - November 19th, 2020
- Every PS5 launch game ranked worst to best - Looper - November 19th, 2020
- Call of the Sea sets sail in December - Gamesradar - November 19th, 2020
- 'When the Past was Around' confirmed for launch on Switch / PlayStation and Xbox mid-December 2020 - Gamasutra - November 19th, 2020
- 'Myst' (yes, that 'Myst') is coming back as an Oculus VR game in December - Mashable - November 19th, 2020
- It's Hitman's 20th anniversary, so here are 20 facts about the silly stealth sim - Rock Paper Shotgun - November 19th, 2020
- Xbox head Phil Spencer on video games as a way of life, even for the powerful - CNET - November 18th, 2020
- Agate, Telkom team up for Bali-themed puzzle adventure game - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - November 18th, 2020
- Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 Hands-On Preview (PS4) - Still A Very Good Puzzler At Its Core - PlayStation Universe - November 18th, 2020
- Call of the Sea is an adventure inspired by Lovecraft, but it's no horror game - PC Gamer - November 18th, 2020
- The best family board games - PC Gamer - November 18th, 2020
- Here Are The Games Coming Out In December 2020 - IGN India - November 18th, 2020
- 10 Puzzle Games That Are Impossible To Beat Without A Guide - GameRant - November 15th, 2020
- Video Games to Relax - The New York Times - November 15th, 2020
- Announcing Light The Fires, an award-winning hypercasual puzzle game - Pocket Gamer - November 15th, 2020
- Telling the Difference Between PS5 and PS4 Games Is Next-Gen's Toughest Puzzle - Push Square - November 15th, 2020
- Why the PS5 and Xbox Series X need to break the video game mold - CNET - November 15th, 2020
- Video Games for Relaxation - The New York Times - Aviation Analysis Wing - November 15th, 2020
- WiiWare's Greatest Hits. A celebration of the indie games of | by Shawn Laib | SUPERJUMP | Nov, 2020 - Medium - November 15th, 2020
- Bugsnax review you are what you eat | Games - The Guardian - November 15th, 2020
- Games And Puzzles Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2027|Trusted Business Insights... - November 15th, 2020
- Arkansas women to be tested early in SEC play - Arkansas Online - November 15th, 2020
- The Xbox Series X and the PS5 need to make video games weird and interesting - CNET - November 11th, 2020
- Game IQ the Gold Standard for game analytics and classification - MobileMarketing Magazine - November 11th, 2020
- The Digital Fix Gaming's Generation Awards: Best Puzzle, Simulation, PSVR, and RPG - The Digital Fix - November 11th, 2020
- Tales of the Neon Sea review - "Stunning but literally puzzling" - Pocket Gamer - November 11th, 2020
- Review: Pikmin 3 Deluxe Multiplayer and Modes Blossom on the Switch - Siliconera - November 11th, 2020