In all the excitement over Gary Bettmans quasi-announcement about the NHLs return to play, there were a few questions that went unanswered.
By a few we mean more than 58 and less than 3,000.
There are little things: Will statistics from the proposed play-in and seeding games count toward the regular-season stats, triggering any number of bonuses in the process?
And big things: Canucks captain Bo Horvat and his wife Holly are expecting their first child in July. If the Canucks are playing at that point, will Horvat be allowed to leave the teams protective bubble?
There are in-between things: Will NHL teams be ready for a training camp in three weeks?
And things you never thought of: If a player tests positive for COVID-19, is that a hockey-related or non-hockey-related injury?
When you come right down to it, the only thing thats been decided to date is the playoff format if play resumes, which is just the first step in a long and complicated journey.
For the most part, hockey fans arent terribly interested in the many other details that have yet to be decided, but if you long for the days of labour unrest in the NHL, good news: Like the game, its about to return.
Im sure were going to have to have tons of PA (players association) calls in the coming weeks and months or however long this thing goes, said Horvat during a Zoom thingy. Right now weve figured out one thing (the playoff format). There are still a lot of other things to go.
We were afraid youd say that.
Canucks captain Bo Horvat says there are many issues to iron out before the NHL hits the ice again.Bob Frid / USA TODAY Sports
Horvat and teammate Brandon Sutter stepped up to discuss a changed hockey landscape on Thursday but most of the questions had little to do with the actual game. Instead, the line of inquiries tended to focus on the many and varied issues raised by the return plan announced by commissioner Bettman on Tuesday; a plan that the NHLPAs executive committee passed by a 29-2 vote late last week.
As mentioned, that just got the two sides to the starting line. In the upcoming weeks, the league and the union will dig into the return format and attempt to resolve the outstanding matters. This is when things will get interesting.
For the players, the main concern seems to be life in the bubble and the health-and-safety protocols that will be in place once play begins. Those concerns take on different forms for different players but there appears to be an overriding anxiety over the biodome concept and, considering everything in play, thats understandable.
Horvat and his wife, for example, are expecting but theyre not the only Canucks couple in a family way. Antoine Roussel and his wife Alexandra are expecting in June. Jordie Benn and his partner Jessica are expecting about the same time as the Horvats. Should the NHL be operational by then, you can guess what that means to the couples as they try to navigate through uncharted waters.
It hasnt been easy for (Holly) and I, Horvat said. But well deal with it when the time comes.
We havent made any decision or talked to anybody about that yet. Were seeing how this thing plays out. Hopefully Im going to be there for the birth of my first child. What that looks like, were just going day by day and week by week.
You hear that a lot from players, just as you hear a level of uneasiness. Sutter and his wife Giselle have two children. Right now living in the bubble means going from the hotel to the rink and back again every day for up to three months without contacting the outside world.
Thinking of being away from (family) for upwards of three months doesnt sound very appealing to many players, Sutter said.
John Tavares is one of those players. The Leafs captain and his wife Aryne have an eight-month-old son. Hes also on the Return to Play committee and earlier this week he expressed his thoughts on what might lie ahead.
When youre in that (bubble) for an extended period of time you obviously want to feel comfortable as a person, Tavares said. I think the mental side of it, to make sure were not in our hotel rooms and going to the rink, but theres going to be a real good structure in place that we can feel like ourselves and be ourselves.
I think thats important and a lot of those details, a lot of information, still has to evolve.
Tavares was actually criticized on social media for expressing that opinion.
This, we might add, is just one part of the whole return-to-play puzzle and its far from settled. So too are any number of technical issues and, while Bettman suggested the leagues dealing with the PA has been harmonious, PA chief Donald Fehr categorized things differently during a recent interview with ESPN.
When asked if the relationship between the league and the union has been collaborative, Fehr answered: Is that something Gary is spitting out?
Fehr continued: If the word collaborative is meant to imply that we sort of have to deal with these things which are thrust upon us and were trying to do it, then I would go along with that.
Funny, when you put it like that it doesnt sound very collaborative.
CLICK HEREto report a typo.
Is there more to this story? Wed like to hear from you about this or any other stories you think we should know about. Emailvantips@postmedia.com
- Creaks, a trippy 2D puzzle game, arrives on PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC in July - Daily Star - July 3rd, 2020
- The recursive world simulation & puzzle-making process in Maquette - PlayStation.Blog - July 3rd, 2020
- Maquette Will Bring Mind-Bendingly Clever Recursive Puzzles To PS5, PS4, And PC This Year - GameSpot - July 3rd, 2020
- How citizen scientists and video games are taking on Covid-19 - RTE.ie - July 3rd, 2020
- Felix The Reaper Comes To Life on iOS - GameSpace.com - July 3rd, 2020
- Turok and Grip highlight free games for Twitch Prime members this July - PC Invasion - July 3rd, 2020
- Incredibly Innovative Puzzle Game Carto Comes To PS4 This Fall - PlayStation Universe - July 1st, 2020
- This Doctor Who Sliding Puzzle Game Is Driving Me Insane and I Can't Stop Playing It - Gizmodo - July 1st, 2020
- Made in the USSR: 6 video games Soviets went crazy over - Russia Beyond - July 1st, 2020
- Adventure/puzzle game 'Carto' heading to Switch - GoNintendo - July 1st, 2020
- 10 Fantastic Disney Games From The 16-Bit Era | TheGamer - TheGamer - July 1st, 2020
- Top 10 Addictive Games That Can Help You Cure Boredom at the Workplace - ThisisXbox - July 1st, 2020
- With dinnertime singing and 1,000-piece puzzles, the Portland Thorns are settling into the bubble before faci - OregonLive - July 1st, 2020
- Games to Watch Out For This July GameSpew - GameSpew - June 30th, 2020
- Shelter Tails: Whoever adopts Hank will need a sense of humor - Times Herald-Record - June 30th, 2020
- Apple just unveiled its picks of the best iPad and iPhone apps of the year - here they are - TechRadar - June 30th, 2020
- Doctor Who fans are losing their minds over the new Thirteen Doctors game - RadioTimes - June 30th, 2020
- THOSE WHO REMAIN Review: Fear Of The Dark And Heavy Decisions - GameTyrant - June 30th, 2020
- Five new Steam games you probably missed (June 29, 2020) - PC Gamer - June 29th, 2020
- The Almost Gone Review - New Game Network - June 29th, 2020
- Power-Ups - The New York Times - June 29th, 2020
- United Fresh LIVE! Badge, Puzzle and Trivia winners announced - FreshPlaza.com - June 29th, 2020
- Review: Neversong's Moody Nightmare World Doesn't Strike the Right Chords - thirdcoastreview.com - June 29th, 2020
- How Xbox Series X Game Call Of The Sea Uses The Console's Power - GameSpot - June 29th, 2020
- The best new Android and iOS apps you should download this week - AndroidPIT - June 28th, 2020
- Nintendo Switch free games news: Two unmissable free downloads have just hit the eShop - Express - June 28th, 2020
- Apple Arcade needs games made with iPads in mind - heres why - TechRadar - June 28th, 2020
- Here's what we played during the Steam Game Festival Part 2 - GTOGG - June 28th, 2020
- Here are the discussions you missed in the PC Gamer forums this week - PC Gamer - June 28th, 2020
- Puzzler Superliminal Releasing July 7th - Pure PlayStation - June 26th, 2020
- THE ALMOST GONE Review: An Intriguing Puzzle Game With A Haunting Tale - GameTyrant - June 26th, 2020
- The Almost Gone review dreamlike puzzles unlock a world of dark unease - The Guardian - June 26th, 2020
- Urban Flow is coming tomorrow, 26th of June! - GamingLyfe Network - June 26th, 2020
- European eShop releases for the week of June 25th, 2020 - GoNintendo - June 26th, 2020
- Uncover the truth behind the dioramas of The Almost Gone , now available! - Gamasutra - June 26th, 2020
- Blair Witch, Mr. DRILLER DrillLand, Ninjala, Duke Nukem 3D, and SpongeBob Rehydrated hit the Switch - Games Asylum - June 26th, 2020
- Garden Story pushes its harvest back to 2021 - Shacknews - June 26th, 2020
- Dr. Mario World Introduces Dr Baby Wario, And We're Not Sure If He's Cute Or Not - GameSpot - June 24th, 2020
- An Ode to The End - SUPERJUMP - Medium - June 24th, 2020
- Indie Spotlight: Why KO_OP believes Apple Arcade is the perfect introduction for non-gamers - Pocket Gamer.Biz - June 24th, 2020
- Gotta drink up! Heres the official Sonic energy drink - Thumbsticks - June 24th, 2020
- Ever Forward is coming to Switch at the end of the year - Videogamer.com - June 24th, 2020
- The 10 Best Tetris Video Games Of All Time | Game Rant - GameRant - June 24th, 2020
- Five new games to play on your mobile this summer - The Upcoming - June 23rd, 2020
- 'Circulous', the Semi-Sequel to 'The Company Game' from Teenage Developer Chain Reaction Games, Now Available for Pre-Order - Touch Arcade - June 23rd, 2020
- Ever Forward by Pathea Games is Coming to Nintendo Switch - Gamasutra - June 23rd, 2020
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV Western Release on PlayStation 4 Set for October 27, PC and Switch in 2021 - Niche Gamer - June 23rd, 2020
- Time travel puzzle game The Great Perhaps coming to PS4, Xbox One, and Switch on July 10 - Gematsu - June 23rd, 2020
- The Last of Us Part 2 Review: A Brutally Heartfelt Masterpiece - KeenGamer News - June 23rd, 2020
- New Catherine: Full Body Switch Trailer Revealed at New Game Plus Expo - GameRant - June 23rd, 2020
- CLASS IN SESSION! MYSTERIOUS PUZZLE ADVENTURE GAME THE ACADEMY: THE FIRST RIDDLE UNVEILS ITS SECRETS TODAY - Gamasutra - June 22nd, 2020
- The World Video Game Hall of Fame 2020 inductees have been announced - My Nintendo News - June 22nd, 2020
- Page A4 | E-Edition | thetandd.com - The Times and Democrat - June 22nd, 2020
- 10 PS4 Games That Are Harder Than Dark Souls | Game Rant - GameRant - June 22nd, 2020
- Lots of us adopted dogs in quarantine: 'Dog Whisperer' Csar Milln has some tips - Greater Milwaukee Today - June 22nd, 2020
- Protagonists, Puzzles and Ports: An Interview With Ever Forward's Producer - GameSpew - June 22nd, 2020
- Picture Puzzle Market Share, Growth, Statistics, By Application, Production, Revenue & Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- The best retro games and PS4 remasters on sale - Explica - June 22nd, 2020
- Games of the week Skelattack, Maneater, Potata: Fairy Flower and SpongeBob: Patty Pursuit - Inverness Courier - June 22nd, 2020
- Solution to Riddle of the Week: The Pickleball Puzzle - Yahoo News - June 21st, 2020
- This is the first prescription video game for treating ADHD in kids - The Indian Express - June 21st, 2020
- What's something about games you didn't mind as a kid but can't stand now? - PC Gamer - June 21st, 2020
- How to Solve The Secret Silent Hill Clock Tower Puzzle in Dead by Daylight - Screen Rant - June 19th, 2020
- 15 must-try demos from the Steam Summer Game Festival - PCWorld - June 19th, 2020
- Augmented Reality Mobile Games Market to See Massive Growth by 2025 | Niantic, Sony, Six to Start - 3rd Watch News - June 19th, 2020
- Rising SEA Woven Is a Free Collection of Mini-Games Celebrating Southeast Asian Culture - The Escapist - June 19th, 2020
- Pokmon Caf Mix is an absolutely adorable puzzle game for Switch and mobile - The Verge - June 18th, 2020
- App Army Assemble: Reky - Is this Bauhaus-inspired puzzler a must-buy on mobile? - Pocket Gamer - June 18th, 2020
- Play This, Not That: The Last of Us Part II - SuperParent - June 17th, 2020
- Download over 900 demos in the Steam Summer Game Festival - AllGamers - June 17th, 2020
- Stockholm-based Stillfront lands 114 million to expand its global group of gaming studios - EU-Startups - June 17th, 2020
- 'Kosmokrats' Puts Starship-Building in the Hands of a Potato Peeler - Indie Games Plus - June 17th, 2020
- Copy Cats - The New York Times - June 17th, 2020
- The biggest news from the Upload VR Showcase: Summer Edition - Digital Trends - June 16th, 2020
- Ever Forward Interview - The Art Of Designing Narrative-Driven Puzzles - Noisy Pixel - June 16th, 2020
- Games from Iceberg Interactive in the Steam Summer Festival - FULLSYNC - June 16th, 2020
- Unitied, a Minimalist and Relaxing Puzzle Game coming to Switch June 25th - SwitchWatch - June 16th, 2020
- Go To Hell In VR Puzzler Trial By Teng From The Creators Of Form - UploadVR - June 16th, 2020
- Bundle for Racial Justice Closes with 8 Million Raised - Heavy.com - June 16th, 2020
- Surgeon Simulator 2 is Transplanting to the Epic Games Store in August - GameSpew - June 16th, 2020