Head coach Nick HIll and Southern Illinois found a non-conference opponent when Illinois State and Western Illinois opted out of the spring season. (Photo by SIUSalukis.com)
Choosing the FCS playoff field often presents a fair share of difficulties.
Selecting the field amid the COVID-19 pandemic, which 10 members of the FCS playoff committee will do this weekend in Indianapolis, is offering layer upon layer of challenges.
Theres a ton of dynamics, said Eastern Illinois Athletic Director Tom Michael, a first-year member of the committee. Its a difficult process, but this isnt something that I and (all) of the others are taking lightly. Were very passionate about doing this for FCS football.
Not only has the season made the unique move to the spring, but the normal 24-team bracket has been pared to 16 teams, leaving only six at-large spots for teams that are not automatic qualifiers as a conference champion.
The field will be announced at 10:30 a.m. Sunday, April 18 on ESPNU.
Michael also noted that some teams have played non-conference games in the fall while others have played conference-only schedules in the spring.
Theres very little body of work for teams outside of conference, he said. So the crossover of being able to compare that this team played this team outside of their league, and how did they fare against them theres such little information on that.
Some programs who have not been impacted by COVID have lost games due to opponents having virus issues, thus limiting their resumes.
Meanwhile, in Illinois, two of the states four FCS programs Illinois State and Western Illinois opted out during the spring season citing mounting injuries and roster concerns.
Both teams opted out just before they were going to face playoff hopeful Southern Illinois, which has caused plenty of frustration for Salukis head coach Nick Hill and the SIU administration.
SIU (4-3), which narrowly missed being in the playoffs in 2019, sought out a non-conference game with Southeastern Louisiana after one-win Illinois State and one-win Western ended their seasons.
Michael credited the Salukis who ended North Dakota States 39-game winning streak in February for seeking out another opponent.
When you talk about the Missouri Valley Football Conference and those teams opting out midway through, and what impact it has not only on SIU but other folks in their league to be able to get games in, it certainly creates a different set of circumstances, Michael said. I applaud (SIU) for being able to go out and do that and to continue to try to improve their body of work.
Michael, who played basketball at the University of Illinois and went through the NCAA tournament selection anxiety as an athlete, understands the emotions involved with teams jockeying for playoff position.
He acknowledged there will always be arguments among those who dont make the field.
However, Michael hopes fans can understand that the committee has dedicated time since the fall to the selection process, which has included weekly calls during the spring season, watching condensed versions of games via the NCAA, regularly viewing games on ESPN-Plus and each committee member calling colleagues around the country to learn about potential playoff teams.
Theres a lot of good football teams that are playing, Michael said. Were going to do our best to get it right.
There are 10 individuals that I know, from our calls, spend a lot of time and only want the best for FCS football and this playoff structure to provide a great opportunity for the 16 teams this year to compete for a national championship, he said.
See the article here:
Eastern Illinois AD part of committee working on FCS playoff puzzle - ChicagoNow
- Aloof, the cutest puzzle-fighter ever, arrives on Switch later this year thanks to RedDeer.games - Gamasutra - July 21st, 2021
- Nintendo News: Shape Your Next Adventure With Three Additional Super NES Games Arriving to Nintendo Switch Online - Business Wire - July 21st, 2021
- 7 Billion Humans finally arrives on Android | Articles - Pocket Gamer - July 21st, 2021
- Do 2.7 billion gamers around the world hold the key to solving climate change? - Illinoisnewstoday.com - July 21st, 2021
- Skyward Sword HD Proves That Future Zelda Games Need Traditional Dungeons - Den of Geek - July 21st, 2021
- Five Games to Play While You Wait for Breath of the Wild 2 - The New York Times - July 21st, 2021
- ITALY. Land of Wonders lets you discover the cultural heritage of the country via puzzles, out now on iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - July 21st, 2021
- miHoYo's Tears of Themis is Releasing July 29th for Mobile and Android - Goomba Stomp - July 21st, 2021
- Heres The Lowdown On That Kick-Ass 2.5D Cyberpunk Game - Kotaku - July 21st, 2021
- Arcsmith is a Quirky VR Puzzle Game from Thomas Was Alone Studio, Coming to Quest in July - Road to VR - July 7th, 2021
- Cat Detective Mimo and the Case of the Increasingly Meta Bank Heist - Alternate Reality Gaming Network - July 7th, 2021
- Solve Puzzles and Escape a Horrifying Mansion in The Tartarus Key - The Nerd Stash - July 7th, 2021
- Imagine that quest in Oblivion where you get stuck in a painting, but it's a whole puzzle game now - Rock Paper Shotgun - July 7th, 2021
- Xbox Cloud Gaming Is The Future, But Its Not There Yet - Kotaku - July 7th, 2021
- 30 Steam Games All Less Than $25 To Amuse Yourself With - PC Perspective - July 7th, 2021
- 'The Spectrum Retreat' Free On Epic Games Store, 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead' and 'Ironcast' Next Week - WorthPlaying.com - July 7th, 2021
- PlayStation Now Games Release Tomorrow And They Look Great - Pure PlayStation - July 7th, 2021
- A Tale Of Synapse: The Chaos Theories Review Pretty But Uneven Puzzles - News Nation USA - July 7th, 2021
- We're Open: Out of the Box includes unique games, puzzles, and toys - Fox17 - June 24th, 2021
- Seriously Addictive Mobile Games That Will Help You Kill Time - YouBeauty - June 24th, 2021
- Myst VR remake confirmed for release in Q3 2021 - NME - June 24th, 2021
- I Turned to Jigsaw Puzzles When My World Fell Apart - The New York Times - June 24th, 2021
- The Brilliant Puzzler 'Baba Is You' from Hempuli Just Released on iOS and Android with over 200 Levels Included - Touch Arcade - June 24th, 2021
- The Best N64 Games of All Time - Your Money Geek - June 24th, 2021
- The best video games of 2021 so far - The Guardian - June 24th, 2021
- Every Major Upcoming Aussie Indie Game You Should Keep An Eye On - Kotaku Australia - June 24th, 2021
- 35 Indie Games That Really Want Your Attention - Kotaku - June 24th, 2021
- Ticket to Ride: Track Switcher Is a Logic Puzzle Game for Kids and Adults - SuperParent - June 8th, 2021
- PlayStation Talent reveals 21 new indie titles ahead of E3 - NME.com - June 8th, 2021
- Tetris Effect Celebrates the Puzzler's Anniversary and Origin with Awesome Secret Stage - Push Square - June 8th, 2021
- Review: Bunny Factory - Movies Games and Tech - June 8th, 2021
- Universal Studios Japan has reopened to the public - Nintendo Wire - June 8th, 2021
- Eight awesome indie PC games you shouldnt miss this June - PCGamesN - June 8th, 2021
- Guerrilla Collective 2021 Day 1: All the Games Announced and Unveiled - TechnoSports - June 8th, 2021
- Unsigned: Finding the things we've lost in ourselves in Love A Puzzle Box filled with Stories | Business News - MCV/Develop - June 8th, 2021
- Fire Tonight brings heartfelt narrative puzzling to Switch, PC in August - Nintendo Enthusiast - June 8th, 2021
- Trenga Unlimited Is Rather Limited XSX Review But Why Tho? - But Why Tho? A Geek Community - May 27th, 2021
- 14 of the best hidden gems on Xbox Game Pass - The Guardian - May 27th, 2021
- Mondoku is a colorful number puzzle game that will be released on Android and iOS in the near future. - Gaming News - BollyInside - May 27th, 2021
- All You Need to Know Before Developing an Android Game App - TechBullion - May 27th, 2021
- New games coming to Xbox Game Pass this May include Knockout City and Maneater - PinkNews - May 27th, 2021
- Digital music festival Save & Sound kicks off this weekend with sales on Steam - Gamasutra - May 27th, 2021
- How to play Android games on your PC with BlueStacks - Android Central - May 27th, 2021
- Want To Make Your Kids Gaming Session Productive? Play These Educational Games - IWMBuzz - May 27th, 2021
- Word games for kids: Enhance your kid's creativity and learning - Times of India - May 27th, 2021
- Relive Your Childhood with the Best SNES Games - Your Money Geek - May 27th, 2021
- Portal Movie Revealed to be In Active Development - EsportsTalk - May 27th, 2021
- Maneater and Knockout City are among the Xbox Game Pass games available in May - Gaming News - BollyInside - May 27th, 2021
- The Chronos Principle is a minimalist puzzle game coming this week for iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - May 15th, 2021
- Pokemon Games Never Change: For True Evolution, Play the Spin-Offs - PCMag - May 15th, 2021
- Game reviews: Resident Evil Village, New Pokemon Snap, Hood: Outlaws & Legends and Simon's Cat put to the test - Wales Online - May 15th, 2021
- NEO: The World Ends With You Hints at the Return of Another Old Friend - IGN Nordic - May 15th, 2021
- Exploring the Discourse on Wholesome Games - TechRaptor - May 15th, 2021
- What Are Some Underrated Games You Love That Nobody Talks About? - Kotaku Australia - May 15th, 2021
- New Pokemon Snap Successfully Modernizes the Classic N64 Formula - Den of Geek - May 15th, 2021
- New VR Games May 2021: All The Biggest Releases - UploadVR - May 3rd, 2021
- The Easiest Way to Boost Your Gamerscore with New Games and Xbox Game Pass Additions from April 2021 - TheXboxHub - May 3rd, 2021
- New Pokemon Snap Is Missing One Major Type of Puzzle From the Original Pokemon Snap - ComicBook.com - May 3rd, 2021
- Out of Line Hands-on Preview - Welcome to the Machine - COGconnected - May 3rd, 2021
- Solving puzzles as a spy duo in Operation: Tango is fun, but it needs to up the suspense - PC Gamer - May 3rd, 2021
- Outer Worlds DLC teased in a series of cryptic tweets - NME.com - May 3rd, 2021
- Ubisoft Switch Sale Has Deals On Everything From Assassin's Creed To Rayman - GameSpot - May 3rd, 2021
- Tweens and Teens for Mother's Day - Portsmouth Daily Times - May 3rd, 2021
- Puzzling Places to Launch on Oculus Quest Store This Fall - Road to VR - April 18th, 2021
- Puzzle Bobble VR: Vacation Odyssey Will Arrive in May - Siliconera - April 18th, 2021
- Demonoid Allows You To Play Free Games Online on Web - Fortune India - April 18th, 2021
- 'Oxenfree II: Lost Signals' headlines a new crop of Switch indie games - Engadget - April 18th, 2021
- The Electronic Wireless Show Podcast episode 136: the best weather in games special - Rock Paper Shotgun - April 18th, 2021
- Kinda Funnys Blessing Jr. Does an Entire Episode of The Blessing Show From Within Dreams - PlayStation LifeStyle - April 18th, 2021
- 14 free apps and games for Android for a limited time | Technology Explica .co - Explica - April 18th, 2021
- 11 new Android games from the last week: The best, worst, and everything in between (3/29/21 - 4/4/21) - Android Police - April 4th, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 4th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Dungeon & Puzzles', 'Stick Fight: The Game', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - April 4th, 2021
- The Three Best and Worst Games of March 2021 - COGconnected - April 4th, 2021
- Google Play Pass now has over 800 games, apps - HT Tech - April 4th, 2021
- The Easiest Ways to Boost Your Gamerscore from the Xbox Games of March 2021 - TheXboxHub - April 4th, 2021
- Game of the Month: March 2021's Best PS5, PS4 Games - Pure PlayStation - April 4th, 2021
- This Weeks VR Game Roundup: New Archery Game, Kitchen Island VR - VR Fitness Insider - April 4th, 2021
- Best New Android Games This Week: The Wake, Quick Fire, Dual Summoners, and More - DroidGamers - April 4th, 2021