Seattle Mariners' Domingo Santana gestures in the dugout after hitting a solo home run during the ... [+] seventh inning of the team's baseball game against the Los Angeles Angels Friday, June 7, 2019, in Anaheim, Calif. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)
Outfielder Domingo Santana remains a puzzle to this old baseball scout. Now hes also a puzzle for his new team, the Cleveland Indians. Santana and the Indians have agreed on a one-year, $1.5M contract with a club option.
When he was first signed as an international free agent by the Philadelphia Phillies in 2019, Santana flashed a combination of speed and power that should have propelled him to excellence in his professional career. So far, in his six years at the big league level, Santana has been very meh. Translate that to mean ordinary. Average. Nothing special.
The Phillies spent $300,000 to sign Santana out of the Dominican Republic. It was a significant enough amount for the public to take notice.
Santana spent parts of two seasons in the Phillies minor league development program before he was included in a trade with the Houston Astros in the 2011 season. Along with Santana, the Astros sent outfielder Hunter Pence and cash to Philadelphia for pitchers Jarred Cosart, Josh Zeid, and first baseman Jon Singleton.
Santana made his big league debut with Houston in 2014, when he appeared in six games. He failed to get a hit in 18 plate appearances. He struck out 14 of the 18 times he went to the plate.
Things didnt improve much for Santana in the 2015 season. He started the year with the Astros, but was traded once again. At the July trade deadline, Santana was shipped to the Milwaukee Brewers along with pitchers Josh Hader, and Adrian Houser and outfielder Brett Phillips. The Astros received pitcher Mike Fiers and outfielder Carlos Gomez in return.
Santana finished his 2015 season hitting .238 combined for Houston and Milwaukee. He played in 52 games and received 187 plate appearances.
Santana slowly began to show the strength and overall athletic ability that originally attracted the Phillies. Maybe Philadelphia had signed a solid player and they made a mistake trading him?
After getting more exposure on the Brewers roster in 2016 and showing improvement, Santana virtually exploded in his age 24 season. Playing on a regular basis for Milwaukee in 2017, Santana busted out with 30 home runs and 85 RBIs. He stole 15 bases in 19 attempts. Santana had arrived. Or had he?
Santana regressed so badly in 2018 he was sent to the minor leagues for more seasoning and to regain a hitting stroke that had departed. He played for Colorado Springs for half the season, trying to regain his credibility and skills as a hitter.
By December that year, the Brewers had seen enough. They traded Santana to the Seattle Mariners for outfielder Ben Gamel and pitcher Noah Zavolas.
Big and strong at 6-5, 220 pounds, the right-handed hitting Santana has been in frequent trade discussions. His physicality and obvious tools have been attractive to clubs hunting home runs and a power hitter for the middle of their lineup.
Seattledeployed Santana as a cleanup hitter, hitting him behind Mitch Haniger and Kyle Seager. He responded fairly well in his first season for the Mariners, hitting 21 homers and driving in 69 runs in 507 plate appearances. While he didnt have the production of Nelson Cruz who was a dominant force for the Mariners, Santana did provide favorable numbers.
Probably seeing enough of his woeful defense and too many strikeouts for their liking, the Mariners declined to offer Santana a contract for 2020, making him a free agent. He went until the second week of February before signing a contract with the Indians.
Even though he missed time with an elbow injury this past season, this observer feels that what Domingo Santana has shown in his year with Seattle is a good indication of what is yet to come. He is capable of hitting home runs. He is capable of driving in runs. He is now in the prime of his career at age 27. That said, not much upside remains, and his defensive deficiencies and swing and misses provide room for concern.
Santana made 12 errors in the outfield for Seattle. Consider that Cleveland also has slugger Franmil Reyes taking more repetition in the outfield, hoping he can improve mediocre defense enough to play in the field every day. Before being traded to Cleveland, Reyes did play right field on a more consistent basis for San Diego. It just seemed Indians manager Terry Francona had little faith in his ability as a consistent quality outfield defender. Now he has both Santana and Reyes to mix and match as potential designated hitters/outfielders. It should be interesting to watch that unfold.
Projecting Santana and Reyes in the same outfield may give their manager acid reflux, but the offense those two right-handed hitters can provide is really encouraging. Both are big, strong and powerful hitters that add length to the Indians lineup.
Make no mistake, the Indians need the power potential of a hitter like Santana.
Before signing Santana, the Indians had a multitude of outfielders on the 40-man roster with very similar profiles. Only Reyes among them was capable of consistent power. Now they can add Santana to that power equation.
Right-handed hitting Oscar Macado is probably the most complete player among a group of better defensive than offensive players.
Greg Allen is a switch-hitter with little power. Jordan Luplow is a good right-handed hitter who struggles against lefties. Delino DeShields Jr. is a good defensive outfielder with a mediocre bat. Jake Bauers hits left-handed and hasnt yet shown a solid and consistent game.
Bradley Zimmer is another left-handed hitter with great speed, but he is coming off an injury and needs more time to regain his stroke. Daniel Johnson is a left-handed hitting rookie with promise but little experience. Tyler Naquin is injured and will likely start the season on the injured list.
The bulk of the Indians offense should come from All Star shortstop Francisco Lindor, third baseman Jose Ramirez, All Star first baseman Carlos Santana and Mercado, Reyes, and yes, Domingo Santana. The offensive contributions of catcher Roberto Perez last year cant be denied. But it was his only great year at the plate. It is certainly not a sure thing that he can repeat that production.
The Indians need Domingo Santana to lengthen the lineup and drive in runs. They also need him to catch the ball.
Read more from the original source:
Domingo Santana Adds Power (And Leaky Defense) To The Cleveland Indians Roster - Forbes
- 16 Aesthetically Pleasing Puzzles and Games to Play at Home - The New York Times - March 30th, 2020
- THE TICKER: What now for the Tokyo Games? Says IOC chief Bach, This is like a huge jigsaw puzzle - The Sports Examiner - March 30th, 2020
- Chess: an expert took an hour to solve this simple puzzle can you do better? - Financial Times - March 30th, 2020
- 10 Online Games You'll Get Totally Lost in (in a Good Way) - POPSUGAR - March 29th, 2020
- With games on hold, PawSox adjusting to a strange new normal in final season before move to Worcester - thegardnernews.com - March 29th, 2020
- The Best Cheap PC Games You Can Buy On Steam Right Now - GameSpot - March 29th, 2020
- PuzzleScript: The free puzzle-building tool that lets you make games in minutes - BingePost - March 28th, 2020
- Here's what people are doing to pass the time during coronavirus isolation - ABC News - March 28th, 2020
- Solve Mesmerizing Puzzles In VR With FORM - GameTyrant - March 28th, 2020
- If you're in the mood for a mobile puzzle game, Monument Valley 2 is free - Destructoid - March 28th, 2020
- Who Should Be Inducted Into The 2020 Video Game Hall Of Fame? - 98.5 The Sports Hub - March 27th, 2020
- COVID-19: Top 5 infotainment iOS apps to keep your kids happy and learn skills during the lockdown - Deccan Herald - March 27th, 2020
- Banana Panda games and puzzles are fun, educational toys for toddlers that encourage cognitive development my 19-month-old loves them - INSIDER - March 26th, 2020
- The Room VR: A Dark Matter is the best VR escape room game - CNET - March 26th, 2020
- Blockade Games Adds Puzzle and Game Development Services to Its Offerings - SludgeFeed - March 26th, 2020
- The 26 best Nintendo Switch games to play through the quarantine - For The Win - March 26th, 2020
- New Nintendo Direct Mini Highlights a Wide Variety of Games Coming to Nintendo Switch This Year - Yahoo Finance - March 26th, 2020
- Rachel Lowe to develop new puzzles, board games and card games for Beano - Toy News - March 26th, 2020
- Galway have all the pieces to solve All-Ireland puzzle - Farrell - Independent.ie - March 26th, 2020
- 20 best games to play if you are self-isolating during the coronavirus outbreak | London Evening Standard - Evening Standard - March 26th, 2020
- Newsdio: Oleg Nesterenko's blog - Beidi Guo, developer of LUNA The Shadow Dust, on how story and environmental narrative increase repeatability in... - March 26th, 2020
- Spyder is a game about a spider that's a spy. And it's on Apple Arcade now. - iMore - March 26th, 2020
- Deciding to Postpone the Olympics Was Tough. Actually Moving Them May Be Tougher. - The New York Times - March 26th, 2020
- The 21 best PC games on Xbox Game Pass for PC right now (March 2020) - For The Win - March 26th, 2020
- The Bucs keep the band together on defense - Tampa Bay Times - March 25th, 2020
- We got 5 game devs to explain why Animal Crossing is so damn good - The Next Web - March 25th, 2020
- Bit of Land in the Seine - The New York Times - March 25th, 2020
- How to solve the Button Puzzle in the Quarantine Zone in Half-Life: Alyx - Gamepur - March 25th, 2020
- Heal is a story-driven puzzle game for iOS and Android that aims to cover heavy topics such as dementia - Pocket Gamer - March 25th, 2020
- What's Still on Ravens To-Do List Now that the defensive line has been addressed, the - BaltimoreRavens.com - March 25th, 2020
- Did you solve it? Meet the puzzle king - The Guardian - March 24th, 2020
- Creative Video Games to Play While Quarantined - Hyperallergic - March 24th, 2020
- People are curbing their stay-at-home anxiety the analog way: With puzzles - CNN - March 24th, 2020
- Puzzles and Kids Toys Flying Off Shelves Amid Coronavirus Pandemic - TMZ - March 24th, 2020
- Doom Eternal: Tips and tricks to survive the whole game - VentureBeat - March 24th, 2020
- Its a Perfect Time to Play Video Games. And You Shouldnt Feel Bad About It. - The New York Times - March 23rd, 2020
- Can you solve it? Meet the puzzle king - The Guardian - March 23rd, 2020
- Release Radar: Our pick of the week's best TV, movies, and games (March 23 - 29) - GamesRadar+ - March 23rd, 2020
- The Revolution In Educational Gaming Will Not Be Recognizable - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Games of the week Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Murder By Numbers, Crossy Road Castle and Butter Royale - Inverness Courier - March 23rd, 2020
- Philly-based puzzle company offers a visually stunning antidote to the coronavirus craziness - The Philadelphia Citizen - March 23rd, 2020
- PC's Leslie Huffman named LKC player of the year | News, Sports, Jobs - Marietta Times - March 23rd, 2020
- Title win the last piece of the puzzle for stoked Cats - The West Australian - March 22nd, 2020
- Tired of the coronavirus lockdown? Here are five games to pass the time - Deccan Herald - March 21st, 2020
- Commanding the Situation - The New York Times - March 21st, 2020
- One Of The Best Switch Games Is Discounted On The Eshop - GameSpot - March 21st, 2020
- UK turns to board games, puzzles, and crafting as suppliers and toy shops prepare families for school closures - Toy News - March 21st, 2020
- From Proust to puzzles: The coronavirus is shifting the focus of France's star rabbi - JTA News - March 21st, 2020
- Stuck at home? 10 activities for families to try to keep busy while out of school - Austin Daily Herald - Austin Herald - March 21st, 2020
- UNTITLED GOOSE GAME SNEAKS AWAY WITH THE WIN FOR GAME OF THE YEAR AT THE 20th ANNUAL GAME DEVELOPERS CHOICE AWARDS - Associated Press - March 20th, 2020
- Your turn to find some fun with the family - The Spokesman-Review - March 20th, 2020
- How you can help local businesses while still practicing social distancing during the coronavirus outbreak - OregonLive - March 20th, 2020
- Lilith Games Brings the Puzzle-Filled Fun of Mr. Pumpkin 2 to Mobile This April - GamingLyfe Network - March 19th, 2020
- This 1000-Piece Puzzle Will Help You Rediscover Classic Childhood Toys and Games - HouseBeautiful.com - March 19th, 2020
- Thinking Inside the Box by Adrienne Raphel review adventures with crosswords - The Guardian - March 19th, 2020
- UNTITLED GOOSE GAME SNEAKS AWAY WITH THE WIN FOR GAME OF THE YEAR AT THE 20th ANNUAL GAME DEVELOPERS CHOICE AWARDS - GlobeNewswire - March 19th, 2020
- The Best Free Games to Try Out From the Steam Game Festival - Lifehacker - March 19th, 2020
- Dr Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch review: entertaining and useful - but doesn't live up to the original game - Hartlepool Mail - March 19th, 2020
- 'When the Past Was Around' Tells a Heartbreaking Story Through Puzzles - Indie Games Plus - March 19th, 2020
- Being on lockdown isnt all fun and games but families need fun and these games help - fox4kc.com - March 19th, 2020
- Bored at home? Tabletop games help ease the self-isolation blahs - Madison.com - March 19th, 2020
- The 19 best video games to play during coronavirus isolation - PennLive - March 18th, 2020
- The Biggest Puzzle This Escape Room Company Must Solve? How to Grow the Right Way - Inc. - March 18th, 2020
- Chess: controversial world Candidates starts in Ekaterinburg but will it finish? - Financial Times - March 18th, 2020
- The 9 best two-player board games - Vox.com - March 18th, 2020
- Coronavirus: i paper will include a four-page games and crosswords pull-out, plus how to get it delivered - inews - March 18th, 2020
- Being on lockdown isn't all fun and games. But families need fun - and these games help - KTVZ - March 18th, 2020
- 6 Fun Indoor Activities to Beat the Extreme Cold in Ontario - Net Newsledger - March 18th, 2020
- How rookies Adam Fox and Ryan Lindgren became the top 'D' pair for NY Rangers - The Journal News | LoHud.com - March 18th, 2020
- Futsal Super League: The exciting second round returns with three Matchday 6 games - Kawowo Sports - March 18th, 2020
- Atlanta institution offers 'variety' of indoor activities - FOX 5 Atlanta - March 18th, 2020
- Supercell soft-launches match-and-solve puzzle game with meta similar to that of Wildscapes - Game World Observer - March 17th, 2020
- 24 Jigsaws and Puzzle Games For Kids to Work on While Home From School - POPSUGAR - March 17th, 2020
- Bust stuck-at-home boredom with these Target game and puzzle deals - Real Homes - March 17th, 2020
- Heres Looking at You, Grid: A History of Crosswords and Their Fans - The New York Times - March 17th, 2020
- Five new Steam games you probably missed (March 16, 2020) - PC Gamer - March 17th, 2020
- Fun and educational games, activities to save your sanity during coronavirus school break - cleveland.com - March 17th, 2020
- The creator of Dicey Dungeons and VVVVVV is giving thousands of copies of his games away for free - PC Gamer - March 17th, 2020
- The Gamification Of Cybersecurity Training - Forbes - March 17th, 2020
- Games Inbox: Are you impressed by the Xbox Series X? - Metro.co.uk - March 17th, 2020