The defensive specialist surprised the Saints in a 26-20 overtime wild-card win last Sunday by moving defensive ends Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen inside for about a dozen pass rushes against veteran quarterback Drew Brees. Zimmer also utilized safety Andrew Sendejo as a nickel back, a position he played for the first time in New Orleans.
After being roughly a touchdown underdog at New Orleans, the sixth-seeded Vikings (11-6) are in a similar position entering Saturdays divisional playoff at San Francisco (13-3), the top seed in the NFC. Defensive lineman Ifeadi Odenigbo hinted Wednesday that more surprises could be in store.
(Zimmer) can improvise, Odenigbo said. Thats why hes one of the best, if not the best. (The Saints) didnt know what to expect. We hit them with the element of surprise. I think we have a nice game plan also against the 49ers. . Theyve got a good offense, but its going to be a good chess match.
Zimmer thrives on chess matches. Defensive tackle Jaleel Johnson said hes not sure what his coach will roll out against the 49ers, but he is excited to see what it will be.
I dont know whats up his sleeve, Johnson said. To be honest, Zimmer is a mastermind when it comes to that. Well see on Saturday.
Zimmer was one of the NFLs top defensive coordinators before getting his first head coaching position with Minnesota in 2014. The Vikings finished in the top four in the NFL in total defense the previous three years before slipping to No. 14 this season, but it looked like the unit of old at New Orleans.
The Vikings held the Saints to 324 yards, nearly 50 less than the 373.9 they averaged during the regular season. They sacked Brees three times and forced him into two turnovers an interception and fumble.
Now, the Vikings will run into an even more potent offense, led by quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. The 49ers were fourth during the regular season in total offense at 381.1 yards per game.
Each week, we try to look at something different, Zimmer said. But its playoff time and so youre always going to try to add a little bit different looks for the other team. Maybe it takes them a little while to catch on to whatever youre doing.
The Saints had just 158 yards in the first three quarters. By the time they really started to catch on, they trailed 20-10.
Whatever Zimmer does Saturday, he must try to overcome a shorthanded secondary, like last week. For the second straight game, the Vikings will be without their top two nickel backs, Mackensie Alexander and Mike Hughes. Alexander will have arthroscopic knee surgery Thursday, and Hughes is on injured reserve.
Many thought safety Jayron Kearse would take over at nickel back against the Saints, but Sendejo got the nod. Kearse sat out practices Tuesday and Wednesday with toe and knee injuries, and his availability for Saturday is uncertain.
I thought we played pretty well the other day against a pretty good offensive team, so we should be fine, Zimmer said of the secondary.
Safety Anthony Harris agrees.
Hes creative, Harris said of Zimmer. Hes not afraid to make adjustments, if need be.
It remains to be seen if the Vikings again move Hunter and Griffen inside at times, leaving Odenigbo and Stephen Weatherly to play defensive end. Odenigbo said that was done primarily to combat Brees.
Drew Brees sets up so shallow in the pocket and those two (Saints) tackles are legitimate all-pros, so we knew getting to him is nearly impossible as a D-end, Odenigbo said.
San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan vows to be ready for any look on the defensive line.
Well see where (Hunter and Griffen) are against us, but regardless of where they are, theres five guys that can block them, and well see which ones they put in front of them, Shanahan said. Those guys are a challenge wherever theyre at.
Whatever it is, Zimmer will have something in store for the 49ers.
Its an ultra chess match the whole game, linebacker Eric Kendricks said. Hes been a successful coach. Thats why he prepares the way he prepares, so he can be ready for these opportunities.
- Explore a hole new world in free puzzle game Hole and Box - PC Gamer - February 28th, 2020
- The Room: A Dark Matter Coming to All Major VR Headsets in Late March, Trailer Here - Road to VR - February 28th, 2020
- ART OF THE WEEK | Why You Should Play (or Replay) the Portal Series - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - February 28th, 2020
- Maquette is a daring puzzle sport love story a decade within the making - BingePost - February 28th, 2020
- 'Survivor 40: Winners at War': Who Was Voted Off in Episode 3? The Blindsides Begin at the 4th Tribal Council - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 28th, 2020
- Puzzle No. 3526 - The Nation - February 27th, 2020
- Whitehaven still trying to solve fixtures puzzle - News & Star - February 27th, 2020
- A Good Puzzle to Have for Vance Vice - 247Sports - February 27th, 2020
- MasterPieces To Debut Clifford The Big Red Dog Games and Puzzles Line - aNb Media - February 27th, 2020
- 'Dispatches from Elsewhere': Meet the 4 ordinary people who become 'unwitting participants' in mysterious game - MEAWW - February 27th, 2020
- Baldur's Gate 3 looks great even when everything is going wrong - PC Gamer - February 27th, 2020
- Timelie Is coming To PC, A Beautiful Puzzle Game That Follows The Story Of A Girl And Her Cat - Happy Gamer - February 26th, 2020
- One Of The Most Creepy Puzzle Game Little Nightmares To Release Its part 2 - The Inner Sane - February 26th, 2020
- Prep Regionals Preview: Five Twin Harbors teams play in regionals this weekend - The Daily World - February 26th, 2020
- Neil Cameron: Why the Rangers players have let Steven Gerrard down - HeraldScotland - February 26th, 2020
- How conservatives rigged our politics: Republicans are beating Democrats at a game they dont even know theyre playing - AlterNet - February 26th, 2020
- A wizard themed mystery game is coming to Edinburgh - here's everything you need to know - The Scotsman - February 26th, 2020
- Disc Room for Windows PC is an action game, full of deadly buzzsaws - Polygon - February 24th, 2020
- The Global Online Toys and Games Retailing Market is expected to grow by USD 9.10 bn during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of 10% during the... - February 24th, 2020
- New History Mystery escape game Goin' Up City opens at Museum of Norwich | What's on and things to do in Norfolk - Eastern Daily Press - February 24th, 2020
- Surviving the Season as 2020 Supercross Hits the Halfway Point - Supercross - Racer X Online - February 24th, 2020
- March Madness, but for gamers - University at Buffalo The Spectrum - February 24th, 2020
- Markus Hannikainen traded to the Arizona Coyotes for a conditional pick - The Cannon - February 24th, 2020
- Don Sweeney doesnt land big name, but fills needs - Boston Herald - February 24th, 2020
- Resolved - The New York Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Can You Flip Your Way To Victory? - FiveThirtyEight - February 23rd, 2020
- The puzzle why Millwall seem to perform better against top sides boss gives opinion | - Southwark News - February 23rd, 2020
- 'This Is Us' Fans Think the Time Capsule Reveals How the Series Ends for Randall, Kevin, and Kate - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 23rd, 2020
- Buffalo Games Partners With BuzzFeed To Create Line Of Party Games - Yahoo Finance - February 22nd, 2020
- Goff: Three trades the Wild should consider that don't involve draft picks - SKOR North - February 22nd, 2020
- Astros' Reddick tells of death threats to his children over cheating scandal - The Guardian - February 22nd, 2020
- TFNY: Winning Moves Debuts New Games and Puzzles - The Toy Book - February 21st, 2020
- Exciting New Games And Puzzles From Winning Moves USA - PRNewswire - February 21st, 2020
- inbento, the excellent food-themed puzzle game, will be heading for Nintendo Switch in March - Pocket Gamer - February 21st, 2020
- Kosmokrats Is A New Russian Inspired Zero-Gravity Adventure Puzzle Game That Is Headed Straight For Steam... - Happy Gamer - February 21st, 2020
- Atari launches new mobile games to accelerate its growth and issues new shares with preferential subscription rights in partnership with two... - February 21st, 2020
- InnerSpace: What You Should Know About the Epic Games Store Freebie - CCN.com - February 21st, 2020
- 6 Casino and Slot Game Trends to Be on the Lookout for in 2020 - Net Newsledger - February 21st, 2020
- TFNY: MasterPieces Debuts Clifford the Big Red Dog Puzzle and Game Collection The Toy Book - The Toy Book - February 20th, 2020
- World of Horror is a creepy, retro, and completely hypnotic horror game - The Verge - February 20th, 2020
- Retooling Pistons will use seasons last 25 games to help plot their future, Casey says - Pistons.com - February 20th, 2020
- Survivor: Winners at War Recap: A Fire Token Economy Revamps the Game - TVLine - February 20th, 2020
- Second-Half Surge: Vancouver Whitecaps use pair of second-half goals to coast to win over Revolution - Between The Sticks - February 20th, 2020
- The 6 best and 6 worst Lord of the Rings games - Looper - February 20th, 2020
- Fight Zombie Gorillas and Save Your Spaceship at a VR Hub in a Kensington Warehouse - Broadsheet - February 20th, 2020
- 50 Ideas For Things To Do Around Cleveland In The Cold - Talk Radio 1210 WPHT - February 19th, 2020
- 'I can sense the hurt': Mookie Betts, David Price give World Series hope to Dodgers team hungry for a title - USA TODAY - February 19th, 2020
- Show Interest - The New York Times - February 19th, 2020
- Cavaliers legend Jim Chones loves team bucking small-ball trend: Theres always going to be room for a big man - Akron Beacon Journal - February 19th, 2020
- Video game review: 7th Sector: An inspired sci-fi game from the point of view of a spark - Worcester Telegram - February 18th, 2020
- MouseCraft Will Bring A Blend Of Tetris And Lemmings To Switch Next Week - Nintendo Life - February 18th, 2020
- PATH OF GIANTS Review: Teamwork Makes The Puzzles Work - GameTyrant - February 17th, 2020
- Video Game Makers Want to Get Players Off the Couch - The New York Times - February 17th, 2020
- Fortnite Teasing Next Season's Content With Intercepted Transmission - Screen Rant - February 17th, 2020
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate Will Be Free At Epic Games Store This Week - GameSpot - February 17th, 2020
- Is it just a new ballpark? What to expect from the 2020 Texas Rangers - WFAA.com - February 17th, 2020
- Pass a controller and gear up for these co op games - Nintendo - February 16th, 2020
- Florida teacher shocks Pat Sajak by solving Wheel of Fortune puzzle with only four letters - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - February 16th, 2020
- LCHS girls advances to the NW Regional Championship game with a win over WInfield 47-32 - Times Daily - February 16th, 2020
- Free Online Puzzle Games and Board Games from AddictingGames.com - February 15th, 2020
- Those Who Remain: hands-on with the scary puzzle game - Den of Geek UK - February 15th, 2020
- Leonardo and chess - TheArticle - February 15th, 2020
- Florida teacher shocks Pat Sajak by solving Wheel of Fortune puzzle with only four letters - Apalachicola Times - February 15th, 2020
- Lamar opens new season with win over Rhode Island - 12newsnow.com KBMT-KJAC - February 15th, 2020
- Google announces five new games for Stadia, the first since the cloud service launched - The Verge - February 14th, 2020
- Patterned, the popular Apple Arcade puzzle game, has received some new Valentine's and Spring themed content - Pocket Gamer - February 14th, 2020
- Untitled Goose Game HONKs its way to GOTY at the 2020 DICE Awards - PCGamesN - February 14th, 2020
- Best new mobile games on iOS and Android - February 2020 round-up - Metro.co.uk - February 14th, 2020
- GTFO is a punishing co-op shooter where shooting should be considered a last resort - GamesRadar - February 14th, 2020
- Domingo Santana Adds Power (And Leaky Defense) To The Cleveland Indians Roster - Forbes - February 14th, 2020
- Can you find the engagement ring in this Valentine's Day brainteaser? - Insider - INSIDER - February 14th, 2020
- Zynga's Earnings Report Sends the Stock Up. Will the Rise Continue? - Motley Fool - February 14th, 2020
- Putting the Pieces Together: Florida Baseball Season Preview - ESPN 98.1 FM - 850 AM WRUF - WRUF - February 14th, 2020
- Those Who Remain: Hands-on with the Scary Puzzle Game - Den of Geek US - February 13th, 2020
- How to Solve the Dawn of Fear Chess Piece Puzzle | Game Rant - GameRant - February 13th, 2020
- Apple Arcade gives its games the Valentine's Day treatment - CNET - February 13th, 2020
- Historic & Momentous Weekend Of Hockey In The WCHA - FloHockey - February 13th, 2020
- Xavier and Tamia Tillman prepare to welcome son to family triangle - The State News - February 13th, 2020
- Here's what you need to buy to play Half-Life: Alyx on March 23 - The Next Web - February 13th, 2020
- Smart Toys and Games Debuting New Products at Toy Fair, Booth 2835 - Yahoo Finance - February 13th, 2020