The defensive specialist surprised the Saints in a 26-20 overtime wild-card win last Sunday by moving defensive ends Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen inside for about a dozen pass rushes against veteran quarterback Drew Brees. Zimmer also utilized safety Andrew Sendejo as a nickel back, a position he played for the first time in New Orleans.
After being roughly a touchdown underdog at New Orleans, the sixth-seeded Vikings (11-6) are in a similar position entering Saturdays divisional playoff at San Francisco (13-3), the top seed in the NFC. Defensive lineman Ifeadi Odenigbo hinted Wednesday that more surprises could be in store.
(Zimmer) can improvise, Odenigbo said. Thats why hes one of the best, if not the best. (The Saints) didnt know what to expect. We hit them with the element of surprise. I think we have a nice game plan also against the 49ers. . Theyve got a good offense, but its going to be a good chess match.
Zimmer thrives on chess matches. Defensive tackle Jaleel Johnson said hes not sure what his coach will roll out against the 49ers, but he is excited to see what it will be.
I dont know whats up his sleeve, Johnson said. To be honest, Zimmer is a mastermind when it comes to that. Well see on Saturday.
Zimmer was one of the NFLs top defensive coordinators before getting his first head coaching position with Minnesota in 2014. The Vikings finished in the top four in the NFL in total defense the previous three years before slipping to No. 14 this season, but it looked like the unit of old at New Orleans.
The Vikings held the Saints to 324 yards, nearly 50 less than the 373.9 they averaged during the regular season. They sacked Brees three times and forced him into two turnovers an interception and fumble.
Now, the Vikings will run into an even more potent offense, led by quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. The 49ers were fourth during the regular season in total offense at 381.1 yards per game.
Each week, we try to look at something different, Zimmer said. But its playoff time and so youre always going to try to add a little bit different looks for the other team. Maybe it takes them a little while to catch on to whatever youre doing.
The Saints had just 158 yards in the first three quarters. By the time they really started to catch on, they trailed 20-10.
Whatever Zimmer does Saturday, he must try to overcome a shorthanded secondary, like last week. For the second straight game, the Vikings will be without their top two nickel backs, Mackensie Alexander and Mike Hughes. Alexander will have arthroscopic knee surgery Thursday, and Hughes is on injured reserve.
Many thought safety Jayron Kearse would take over at nickel back against the Saints, but Sendejo got the nod. Kearse sat out practices Tuesday and Wednesday with toe and knee injuries, and his availability for Saturday is uncertain.
I thought we played pretty well the other day against a pretty good offensive team, so we should be fine, Zimmer said of the secondary.
Safety Anthony Harris agrees.
Hes creative, Harris said of Zimmer. Hes not afraid to make adjustments, if need be.
It remains to be seen if the Vikings again move Hunter and Griffen inside at times, leaving Odenigbo and Stephen Weatherly to play defensive end. Odenigbo said that was done primarily to combat Brees.
Drew Brees sets up so shallow in the pocket and those two (Saints) tackles are legitimate all-pros, so we knew getting to him is nearly impossible as a D-end, Odenigbo said.
San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan vows to be ready for any look on the defensive line.
Well see where (Hunter and Griffen) are against us, but regardless of where they are, theres five guys that can block them, and well see which ones they put in front of them, Shanahan said. Those guys are a challenge wherever theyre at.
Whatever it is, Zimmer will have something in store for the 49ers.
Its an ultra chess match the whole game, linebacker Eric Kendricks said. Hes been a successful coach. Thats why he prepares the way he prepares, so he can be ready for these opportunities.
- Playing the waiting game looking ahead to the 2020 season - PhiladelphiaEagles.com - January 24th, 2020
- This Knights of the Old Republic Remake Is a Disaster Waiting to Happen - CCN.com - January 24th, 2020
- Cubs to spend ST piecing together 'pen puzzle - MLB.com - January 24th, 2020
- Google launches collaborative game to reveal when I/O 2020 is happening - The Verge - January 24th, 2020
- 10 Awesome Coin-Op Puzzle Games From The Past | TheGamer - TheGamer - January 24th, 2020
- Everything's Going To Be Okay - St. Olaf College News - January 24th, 2020
- Here Are A Variety Of Solutions For Destiny 2s Weaponized FOMO - Forbes - January 24th, 2020
- Karen Guregians five Patriots who need to step up in 2020 - Boston Herald - January 24th, 2020
- Argonauts, Roughriders will play in Halifax in this years Touchdown Atlantic game - Toronto Star - January 24th, 2020
- Art Nouveau - The New York Times - January 22nd, 2020
- In Praise of the Pinball-Puzzle Hybrid Creature in the Well - Paste Magazine - January 22nd, 2020
- Another piece of Springbok coaching puzzle appears to fall into place - HeraldLIVE - January 22nd, 2020
- Five new Steam games you probably missed (January 20, 2020) - PC Gamer - January 21st, 2020
- Hands-on: DOOM Eternal is exactly what you want, plus jumping puzzles - GameCrate - January 21st, 2020
- 8 people shaping PC gaming at the start of the decade - PC Gamer - January 20th, 2020
- Designing the mind-bending perspective puzzles of Superliminal - Gamasutra - January 20th, 2020
- New Update: Full Hands-On Preview Of The Perilous Space Puzzle Game, Filament - Happy Gamer - January 20th, 2020
- Whos No. 1? Whos No. 20? The weekly puzzle of the mens basketball Top 25 - syracuse.com - January 20th, 2020
- Hickey on hockey: Kovalchuk creates line puzzle when injured Habs return - Montreal Gazette - January 20th, 2020
- Neko Ghost, Jump! Is a Cute Puzzle Platformer Where You Swap Between 2D and 3D - Push Square - January 20th, 2020
- The Vex Mythoclast Is The Only Destiny 2 Puzzle Reward That Makes Sense - Forbes - January 19th, 2020
- Rabalais: 2020 forecast looks cloudy, but 2019 showed LSU isn't going back to its old ways - The Advocate - January 19th, 2020
- Strange Platform-Puzzle Game THE PEDESTRIAN Launches On January 29th - GameTyrant - January 18th, 2020
- The Destiny 2 community is still trying to solve Osiris latest puzzle - PCGamesN - January 18th, 2020
- Five of the Best: Blocks - Eurogamer.net - January 18th, 2020
- Literally Everything About Borderlands 3s Current Farming Event Should Be Permanent - Forbes - January 18th, 2020
- Art Rooney II willing to raise hand for Steelers to play game in Mexico City - TribLIVE - January 17th, 2020
- Get a fresh start to the year by keeping your mind and body active - Nintendo - January 17th, 2020
- The 10 best games of 2019 - The Michigan Daily - January 17th, 2020
- What is the skill in a 'skill game'? It's akin to Tic-Tac-Toe, Simon Says - Middletown Press and Journal - January 17th, 2020
- Daniel Gafford to miss 2-4 weeks with thumb injury - NBCSports.com - January 17th, 2020
- New Cleveland Browns coach Kevin Stefanski embraces analytics as part of coaching puzzle - WKYC.com - January 17th, 2020
- Here's how to keep your kids, dogs, active indoors during the extreme cold - CTV News - January 17th, 2020
- Destiny 2 Corridors Of Time Secret Quest Guide: All That's Been Discovered So Far - GameSpot - January 17th, 2020
- Alberta SPCA investigating 31 cases related to cold and animals without shelter - Red Deer Advocate - January 16th, 2020
- Whether You Like It or Not, the Epic Games Store is a Roaring Success - CCN.com - January 16th, 2020
- Destiny 2 Has A New Corridors Of Time Maze Live That No One Can Solve Yet [Update: Puzzle Solution] - Forbes - January 16th, 2020
- An Homage To Mindless Puzzle Games | TheGamer - TheGamer - January 14th, 2020
- GIRLS HOCKEY: Name of the game: Nettie Kimble aptly named as Bemidji's last line of defense - Bemidji Pioneer - January 14th, 2020
- The Nintendo Switch Released More Games In 2019 Than PS4 And Xbox One Combined But Theres A Catch - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- Games to warm up with this winter - University at Buffalo The Spectrum - January 14th, 2020
- 'This is for everybody': LSU caps perfect season with national title win over Clemson - The Advocate - January 14th, 2020
- LIGHTMATTER THE ATMOSPHERIC, FIRST-PERSON PUZZLE GAME WHERE SHADOWS KILL YOU TO LAUNCH ON STEAM JANUARY 15TH - Gamasutra - January 13th, 2020
- Lightmatter Is A Unique Puzzler Where Shadows Kill You; Set To Release January 15th On Steam - Happy Gamer - January 13th, 2020
- Top New Games Out On Switch, PS4, And Xbox One This Week -- January 12-18, 2020 - GameSpot - January 13th, 2020
- Thronebreaker The Witcher Tales: 10 Hardest Puzzles In The Game (& How To Solve Them) - TheGamer - January 13th, 2020
- Resident Evil 2 revisited: The director of the 2019 remake reflects on the pervasive power of the 1998 original - GamesRadar - January 13th, 2020
- Utes expand their bench, but it doesnt matter much in 39-point loss - Deseret News - January 13th, 2020
- State of Confusion - The New York Times - January 12th, 2020
- First-person puzzler of lights and killer shadows, Lightmatter, releases this week - PC Gamer - January 12th, 2020
- The 30 games we cant wait to play in 2020 - The Verge - January 12th, 2020
- A different lineup every game? Projecting the Rays starting nine - DRaysBay - January 12th, 2020
- And the Winners Are, Part 2: The Alphabetrivia Contest - The New York Times - January 12th, 2020
- Games of the week, including Terminator: Resistance and Superliminal - Inverness Courier - January 11th, 2020
- 'The Price is Right': Win big with free tickets to these game shows - Fox Business - January 11th, 2020
- Sideline Cut: Impractical GAA calendar needs to be torn up and reimagined - The Irish Times - January 11th, 2020
- Felix The Reaper is a quirky puzzle game that's heading for iOS following releases on PC and consoles - Pocket Gamer - January 10th, 2020
- Pat Caputo - Michigan has simply moved on from John Beilein - The Oakland Press - January 10th, 2020
- The most anticipated indie games of 2020 - Polygon - January 10th, 2020
- Challenging Puzzler 'Felix The Reaper' Is Coming to iOS after Debuting on PC and Consoles a Few Months Ago - Touch Arcade - January 10th, 2020
- Patriots Talk Podcast: Is solving the Brady puzzle even possible? - NBCSports.com - January 10th, 2020
- PC Gamer plays: Untitled Goose Game, Resident Evil 2, Noita and... the Windows 10 Game Bar - PC Gamer - January 10th, 2020
- Can You Find A Number Worth Its Weight In Letters? - FiveThirtyEight - January 10th, 2020
- The White Door is a new, more 'personal' Rusty Lake game about memories and color - PC Gamer - January 10th, 2020
- Big in 2020: Kentucky Route Zero closes out an adventure seven years in the making - GamesRadar+ - January 10th, 2020
- To win the retail game, inventory losses are not an option - Inside Retail - January 9th, 2020
- WB Montreal Seemingly Tease Next Batman Game With Cryptic "Capture the Knight" Logo Puzzle - Twinfinite - January 9th, 2020
- UP AND DOWN THE RIVER: The art of the crossword puzzle - The Pioneer - January 9th, 2020
- Tomb Raider, Worms and other retro video games to appear on UK stamps - CNET - January 9th, 2020
- Board games are booming. Here's why (and some holiday boredom busters) - The Conversation AU - January 9th, 2020
- Out & About: Dungeons and Dragons draws interest in Hanover - Valley News - January 9th, 2020
- Can Zimmer, Vikings solve another offensive puzzle with defense? - Jamestown Sun - January 9th, 2020
- Number of adults over age 50 playing games regularly is on the rise - GamesIndustry.biz - January 9th, 2020
- Sensible Soccer and 7 more to feature on Royal Mail games stamps - NW Evening Mail - January 9th, 2020
- Q and A: LSU TE Thaddeus Moss - 247Sports - January 9th, 2020
- OTD in 2003: Gary Carter Elected to Hall of Fame - metsmerizedonline.com - January 9th, 2020
- New Westminster gets a new games store - The Record (New Westminster) - January 9th, 2020
- Justin Williams is back in Carolina. What does his return mean for the Hurricanes? - The Hockey News - January 9th, 2020
- The best iPhone and Android puzzle games - The Media Hq - January 8th, 2020
- When is the College Football Playoff championship 2020? Date, time, TV channel, location for NCAA title game - Sporting News - January 8th, 2020