The defensive specialist surprised the Saints in a 26-20 overtime wild-card win last Sunday by moving defensive ends Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen inside for about a dozen pass rushes against veteran quarterback Drew Brees. Zimmer also utilized safety Andrew Sendejo as a nickel back, a position he played for the first time in New Orleans.
After being roughly a touchdown underdog at New Orleans, the sixth-seeded Vikings (11-6) are in a similar position entering Saturdays divisional playoff at San Francisco (13-3), the top seed in the NFC. Defensive lineman Ifeadi Odenigbo hinted Wednesday that more surprises could be in store.
(Zimmer) can improvise, Odenigbo said. Thats why hes one of the best, if not the best. (The Saints) didnt know what to expect. We hit them with the element of surprise. I think we have a nice game plan also against the 49ers. . Theyve got a good offense, but its going to be a good chess match.
Zimmer thrives on chess matches. Defensive tackle Jaleel Johnson said hes not sure what his coach will roll out against the 49ers, but he is excited to see what it will be.
I dont know whats up his sleeve, Johnson said. To be honest, Zimmer is a mastermind when it comes to that. Well see on Saturday.
Zimmer was one of the NFLs top defensive coordinators before getting his first head coaching position with Minnesota in 2014. The Vikings finished in the top four in the NFL in total defense the previous three years before slipping to No. 14 this season, but it looked like the unit of old at New Orleans.
The Vikings held the Saints to 324 yards, nearly 50 less than the 373.9 they averaged during the regular season. They sacked Brees three times and forced him into two turnovers an interception and fumble.
Now, the Vikings will run into an even more potent offense, led by quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. The 49ers were fourth during the regular season in total offense at 381.1 yards per game.
Each week, we try to look at something different, Zimmer said. But its playoff time and so youre always going to try to add a little bit different looks for the other team. Maybe it takes them a little while to catch on to whatever youre doing.
The Saints had just 158 yards in the first three quarters. By the time they really started to catch on, they trailed 20-10.
Whatever Zimmer does Saturday, he must try to overcome a shorthanded secondary, like last week. For the second straight game, the Vikings will be without their top two nickel backs, Mackensie Alexander and Mike Hughes. Alexander will have arthroscopic knee surgery Thursday, and Hughes is on injured reserve.
Many thought safety Jayron Kearse would take over at nickel back against the Saints, but Sendejo got the nod. Kearse sat out practices Tuesday and Wednesday with toe and knee injuries, and his availability for Saturday is uncertain.
I thought we played pretty well the other day against a pretty good offensive team, so we should be fine, Zimmer said of the secondary.
Safety Anthony Harris agrees.
Hes creative, Harris said of Zimmer. Hes not afraid to make adjustments, if need be.
It remains to be seen if the Vikings again move Hunter and Griffen inside at times, leaving Odenigbo and Stephen Weatherly to play defensive end. Odenigbo said that was done primarily to combat Brees.
Drew Brees sets up so shallow in the pocket and those two (Saints) tackles are legitimate all-pros, so we knew getting to him is nearly impossible as a D-end, Odenigbo said.
San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan vows to be ready for any look on the defensive line.
Well see where (Hunter and Griffen) are against us, but regardless of where they are, theres five guys that can block them, and well see which ones they put in front of them, Shanahan said. Those guys are a challenge wherever theyre at.
Whatever it is, Zimmer will have something in store for the 49ers.
Its an ultra chess match the whole game, linebacker Eric Kendricks said. Hes been a successful coach. Thats why he prepares the way he prepares, so he can be ready for these opportunities.
- Five new Steam games you probably missed (May 25, 2020) - PC Gamer - May 25th, 2020
- The Wonderful 101: Remastered, The Persistence, Golf With Your Friends, Monstrum, and WHAT THE GOLF? swing onto Switch - Games Asylum - May 25th, 2020
- Best Bargains on the eShop Epic Indie Sales - SwitchWatch - May 24th, 2020
- It's tough out there. But some small businesses have prospered - The Guardian - May 24th, 2020
- John Wick's Writer Has Pitches For TV Shows Based On Two Unusual Games | - Ydraft - May 24th, 2020
- 5 Shooters That Are Really Short (& 5 That Take way Too Long) - TheGamer - May 23rd, 2020
- 'Mr. Robot Season 5' Is It Happening? Rami Malek Returning Along With Others? Check All The Updates Here - News Lagoon - May 23rd, 2020
- Zynga to launch a new Harry Potter game soon - Times of India - May 22nd, 2020
- 'We Were Here Together' Comes to Xbox One Next Month - Trailer - WorthPlaying.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Making Of: How A Fold Apart used Lightning Rod Games co-founder Mark Laframboise's own long-distance relationship as its basis - Pocket Gamer.Biz - May 22nd, 2020
- WATCH THE TRAILERS FOR THE 11 PLAYSTATION TALENTS GAMES LINED UP FOR 2020! - Gamasutra - May 22nd, 2020
- 5 ways to disconnect and unplug - ConsumerAffairs - May 22nd, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted', 'Monstrum', and Today's Other New Releases, Plus the Latest Sales - Touch Arcade - May 22nd, 2020
- Urban Flow is coming exclusively to Switch on June 26th! - FULLSYNC - May 22nd, 2020
- What Is Neversong? The Atmospheric Adventure Game Once Upon A Coma Renamed And Released On Steam - Happy Gamer - May 22nd, 2020
- 7 types of games that benefit from remote play services - GameCrate - May 21st, 2020
- Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells: Few interesting facts you didnt know about the game - The Indian Express - May 21st, 2020
- Clubhouse Games is a Switch board game collection and Wii Sports replacement all in one - CNET - May 21st, 2020
- THE EVOLUTION OF TECHNOLOGY AND MOBILE GAMING - Island Echo - May 21st, 2020
- Word Games - The Bethel Citizen - May 21st, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Arrest of a Stone Buddha', 'What The Golf?', and Today's Other New Releases, the Latest Sales, and More - Touch Arcade - May 21st, 2020
- Vetrix Provides A Fresh Perspective To VR Gaming - VR And Fun - May 21st, 2020
- AdInMo games ad platform secures $500k to build team - Daily Business - May 21st, 2020
- New Harry Potter: Puzzles and Spells Mobile Game Releases Trailer - Red Tricycle - May 21st, 2020
- 8 bargain Xbox One and PS4 games to download for the long weekend - What's On - May 21st, 2020
- 6 Great Video Games That Allow Kids to Make Their Own Games and Levels - SuperParent - May 21st, 2020
- What the Golf? Review Golf is Boring - SwitchWatch - May 21st, 2020
- Hayes was the missing piece of the Flyers' puzzle - NBCSports.com - May 19th, 2020
- 8 video game deals to help you pass the time at home - Mashable - May 19th, 2020
- There's A New Harry Potter Game On Mobile, But It's Probably Not Very Magical - GameSpot - May 19th, 2020
- Crypto by POWGI ready to be cracked on Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 - Gamasutra - May 19th, 2020
- Digital Dragons Indie Celebration Had Rad Games. Here's Some of the Best - TechRaptor - May 19th, 2020
- The mobile security threats to be aware of in 2020 - Business MattersBusiness Matters - May 19th, 2020
- A Fold Apart Explores the Emotions of a Long-Distance Relationship in a Folding Paper World, Out Tomorrow on PS4 - PlayStation.Blog - May 19th, 2020
- From Star Wars to Borderlands, check out these Steam games at big savings - Boing Boing - May 19th, 2020
- Top 5 Puzzle Games To Play In The Pandemic - COED - May 18th, 2020
- Oculus Quest games are getting controller-free hand tracking this month - The Verge - May 18th, 2020
- New Games Out This Week: Maneater, The Wonderful 101: Remastered, and More - ComicBook.com - May 18th, 2020
- A Fold Apart Explores the Challenges of A Long Distance Relationship - Pixelkin - May 18th, 2020
- Get Up To 50% Off On Annapurna Interactive Titles On The Switch eShop Now - TheGamer - May 18th, 2020
- Picking up the pieces: the great jigsaw revival - The Guardian - May 18th, 2020
- Need a puzzle? DC offers waivers to nonessential educational and academic shops - WTOP - May 18th, 2020
- Relicta and The Turing Test are coming to Google Stadia soon - InTallaght - May 18th, 2020
- This completely blank 1,000-piece puzzle is the ultimate test of patience - 7NEWS.com.au - May 18th, 2020
- Epic Games Store Now Offers A Partial Refund If You Buy A Game Shortly Before It Goes On Sale | Ydraft - Ydraft - May 18th, 2020
- Best 5 new mobile games released this week for iOS and Android - Micky News - May 17th, 2020
- A FOLD APART Hits PS4 And XB1 Stores On May 19th GameTyrant - GameTyrant - May 17th, 2020
- The Games We Play: What the Paste Team Is Playing This Week - Paste Magazine - May 17th, 2020
- This Puzzle From Heinz Will Have You Cross-Eyed and Seeing Red - kool1079.com - May 17th, 2020
- free applications and games with great discounts for a short time - Explica - May 17th, 2020
- Puyo Puyo Tetris and the art of fighting your friends with puzzle games - Dailyuw - May 15th, 2020
- AppLovin buys Machine Zone to expand mobile gaming ambitions - Mobile Marketer - May 15th, 2020
- 10 Most Addicting & Best Cooking Games Available On The Nintendo Switch - TheGamer - May 15th, 2020
- This Puzzle From Heinz Will Have You Cross-Eyed and Seeing Red - khak.com - May 15th, 2020
- Quarantine Is Making Puzzle Enthusiasts of Us All - The New Yorker - May 15th, 2020
- USC Games Expo Attracts Over 80,000 Viewers Around the World - NoobFeed - May 15th, 2020
- Tetris 99s Animal Crossing: New Horizons crossover event is now live - Thumbsticks - May 15th, 2020
- Ubisoft gives away its Assassins Creed Discovery Tours for free - Thumbsticks - May 15th, 2020
- Paper Mario: The Origami King is coming to Nintendo Switch in July - Thumbsticks - May 15th, 2020
- Leaves Before Paying the Check - The New York Times - May 14th, 2020
- Enterprising Spirit: Uncles has puzzled together a pandemic business plan - The Spokesman-Review - May 14th, 2020
- Puzzle Adventure 'A Fold Apart' Gets PS4 And Xbox One Release Date - Noisy Pixel - May 14th, 2020
- Tech donations keeping patients in touch with friends and families - The Northern Echo - May 14th, 2020
- Xbox Series X's Call Of The Sea Is An Eerie Launch Game - GameSpot - May 14th, 2020
- Virtual Escape Rooms and Games for the Family | NYMetroParents | NYMetroParents - NY Metro Parents - May 13th, 2020
- Escape Games 2020 Covid-19 Impact on Global Industry Overview, Companies, Trend and Forecast to 2025 - stopthefud - May 13th, 2020
- COVID-19 lockdown: 7 Mobile games that will help Android users fight boredom while staying at home - Gadget Bridge - May 13th, 2020
- Here is the Ustwos Monument Valley II is no more free-to-play: Check it now!! - Gizmo Posts 24 - May 13th, 2020
- Call of the Sea Is a Puzzle Adventure Game Coming to Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and PC - SuperParent - May 13th, 2020
- The Best Things to Do (While Staying Home and Staying Safe) in Portland: Tues May 12 - The Portland Mercury - May 13th, 2020
- Up your mobile game: Three proudly SA games thats worth the download - The South African - May 13th, 2020
- How many ducks are in the picture? Viral challenge sweeping the internet, explained - iNews - May 13th, 2020
- What the Golf? Heads to Nintendo Switch May 21 with New Two-Player Mode - Niche Gamer - May 12th, 2020
- Apple adds two new games in Apple Arcade - Times of India - May 11th, 2020
- Multiplatform 'Neko Ghost, Jump!' Is An Ambitious Puzzle-Platformer Challenging You To Rethink How All Platformers Should Be Made! - Gamasutra - May 11th, 2020
- Best new mobile games on iOS and Android - May 2020 round-up - Metro.co.uk - May 11th, 2020
- Free PC Games: Get Death Coming and a mystery title from Epic Games - The South African - May 11th, 2020
- Mario Spinoffs That Should be on Switch | Game Rant - GameRant - May 11th, 2020
- The Escape Game Unlocked Review | TheGamer - TheGamer - May 11th, 2020
- The Best Things to Do (While Staying Home and Staying Safe) in Portland: May 11-14 - The Portland Mercury - May 11th, 2020