While The New York Timess best-known word game may be the Crossword, educators should not overlook its younger, less intimidating cousin: Spelling Bee.
The hive-shaped puzzle challenges readers to make as many words as they can from a set of seven unique letters. Since its print debut in 2014 and the introduction of the digital game in 2018, Spelling Bee has spawned a mascot named Beeatrice, an ardent online #HiveMind and daily forums for solvers.
Teachers say they use Spelling Bee to connect vocabulary to the curriculum, build classroom community and even spur friendly competition. Read their ideas below, then try them out in your classroom. The five puzzles in this post can be used without a New York Times subscription and have been selected to engage students of all levels.
These five Spelling Bee puzzles, created by Sam Ezersky, The Timess digital puzzles editor, are appropriate for middle and high school students and are ordered by difficulty from easy to hard. Display these puzzles onscreen, or share them with students in this printable PDF. Check your work with this answer key.
Here are instructions from Mr. Ezersky:
How many lowercase English words, of four letters or more, can you find using the seven letters in the Hive?
Letters can be used more than once, though each word must include the center letter. (For instance, in the first puzzle: Both KEPT and KEEP are acceptable answers, but PUCK is not.)
Each puzzle has at least one word that uses all seven letters a pangram which is worth three points. All other words are worth one point. In this PDF, weve listed the answers and point totals for Good, Excellent and Genius ratings. Happy solving!
Four educators shared their ideas for translating this game into an engaging classroom activity.
Make it a collaboration.
John Lieb, a middle-school math teacher in Boston, displays the Spelling Bee on the screen at the front of the room and has his class work together to try to reach the Genius level. Some of his students focus on finding eight- or nine-letter words while others look for shorter ones. One student surprised the class by finding the word TABARD a medieval garment. We were like, How did you know that word? Mr. Lieb said. The student recognized it from a Renaissance-themed video game.
Or a competition.
Frances S. Della Penna, a substitute teacher in Butler, N.J., uses Spelling Bee to engage students who descend into vacation/free time mode when they find out that their classroom teacher is out. Once they finish their class work, students are allowed to organize themselves into teams and see who can find the greatest total of words. Students respond to the challenge, very competitively, she said.
In Rebekah ODells middle-school classroom in Richmond, Va., students compete with Spelling Bee, too but theyre up against their teacher. Last year in her school, because of the pandemic, students stayed in one classroom while teachers traveled from room to room. In the morning, Ms. ODell would draw the Spelling Bee on the whiteboard. Then, students would collaborate on a list of words throughout the day. When Ms. ODell cycled back to the classroom, they would compare their list to hers to see who got the most words.
Connect it to the curriculum.
Teachers can also connect Spelling Bee to the texts they are reading in class, said Miah Daughtery, a former English teacher and the literacy director of content advocacy and design at NWEA. She suggests putting students in pairs to find words in the puzzle, then giving them a set of follow-up questions to relate it to their reading:
What word on your list could be used to describe any character from the book were reading and why?
If a character were to say one of the words on your list, what word would they say and why?
Consider the setting of the text were reading. What words from the puzzle would you use to describe the setting?
Choose two words from your list. Now, think about the text were reading. How would you use the two words you chose to describe the text to someone who has not read it?
- Wordle creator overwhelmed by global success of hit puzzle - The Guardian - January 15th, 2022
- 11 NEW Puzzle Games of 2022 - Gameranx - January 15th, 2022
- 'Relicta' is the next free game on the Epic Games Store - NME - January 15th, 2022
- Become a plant detective in this occult botany shop puzzle game next week - PC Gamer - January 15th, 2022
- Shovel Knight: Pocket Dungeon review - once it clicks it really clicks - Eurogamer.net - January 15th, 2022
- A Storm is Brewing as the SeaRing Team Sets Up the Release of the Demo to their Debut Title SeaRing on Steam Today! - Tech Times - January 15th, 2022
- Daniel King's Power Play Show: Beautiful games in the Kalashnikov - Chessbase News - January 15th, 2022
- Valve and Geico team up for a Portal-themed insurance ad - PC Gamer - January 15th, 2022
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Deathsmiles I-II', 'Pawn of the Dead', Plus Today's Other New Releases and Sales TouchArcade - Touch Arcade - December 31st, 2021
- The Epic Games Store is giving away Moving Out - For The Win - December 31st, 2021
- What is Wordle? The viral word game - Polygon - December 31st, 2021
- Murder mystery games a hit in China but Japan missing the fun - Japan Today - December 31st, 2021
- The best rhythm games on PC - Digital Trends - December 31st, 2021
- How to Make Money Playing Games - Small Business Trends - December 31st, 2021
- Review: Cosmic Express - Movies Games and Tech - December 31st, 2021
- Northern Ireland TV and film industry booming despite pandemic challenges - BreakingNews.ie - December 31st, 2021
- NYT Crossword Answers: M.L.B.'s first Rookie of the Year (1947) - The New York Times - December 21st, 2021
- Puzzle and Game Industry Works to Meet Holiday Shopping Crush - NBC10 Boston - December 21st, 2021
- Jigsaw Puzzles - Puzzle Games on the App Store - December 21st, 2021
- Ever Forward Review Diamond in the Rough (PS5) - PlayStation LifeStyle - December 21st, 2021
- Indie games on the horizon Borneo Bulletin Online - Borneo Bulletin Online - December 21st, 2021
- Murder he shuffled: How the world's most difficult puzzle went viral - The Irish Times - December 21st, 2021
- Marshfield boys hoop morphing into a different kind of a team than last year - Wicked Local - December 21st, 2021
- The Cleaning Up Of Trash, Explained By Its Creative Director - Kotaku Australia - December 21st, 2021
- 10 newb-friendly games to gift to the non-gamers in your life - Destructoid - December 8th, 2021
- Puzzle Games for Kids Online | Play Free Fun Kids Puzzles - December 8th, 2021
- Ever Forward brings Portal-like puzzling to Xbox, PlayStation and Switch - TheXboxHub - December 8th, 2021
- What if Breath of the Wild had an air dash - Polygon - December 8th, 2021
- The biggest new video games coming out the week of 12/6/21 AIPT - AIPT - December 8th, 2021
- How a 1993 puzzle adventure became Apple's 2021 Game of the Year - Cult of Mac - December 8th, 2021
- When We Made... Bonfire Peaks: "In my opinion, storytelling is not really a strength of the medium of games, or what excites me most about... - December 8th, 2021
- New PS5 & PS4 Game Releases - New PS5 & PS4 Games Releasing This Week (December 6-12) - PlayStation Universe - December 8th, 2021
- KITERETSU Has Launched the First VR Game in ZOOKEEPER Series, "ZOOKEEPER: Blast Quest" and Is Now Available on Meta Quest Store - Business... - December 8th, 2021
- Free Games On Epic Games Store - Current, Upcoming, And Past - TalkEsport - TE - December 8th, 2021
- Ty's Time: Ty Jerome's Bench Ascension and the Puzzle Pieces yet to be Placed - Sports Illustrated - December 8th, 2021
- Terrifying Co-Op Puzzler Forces Duos To See A Different Version Of The Game - Kotaku - November 20th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl', 'Nerf Legends', and Today's Other Releases and Sales TouchArcade - Touch... - November 20th, 2021
- Top toys of 2021: Games, puzzles and activity kits are the standouts - theday.com - November 20th, 2021
- Puzzle Games - 40 Best Puzzle Games To Play In 2021 - November 7th, 2021
- A Battle Royale Mode Is Coming to the Puzzle Game Superliminal - COGconnected - November 7th, 2021
- Say goodbye to your mortal shell with this gorgeous, ghostly puzzle game - PC Gamer - November 7th, 2021
- Unpacking: the meditative puzzle game thats all about organising - The Guardian - November 7th, 2021
- Top toys of 2021: Games, puzzles and activity kits are the standouts - The Union Leader - November 7th, 2021
- Unpacking Might Have The Worst Video Game Boyfriend Of The Year - Kotaku - November 7th, 2021
- Itching to code? These are the best games to learn programming skills - TechRadar - November 7th, 2021
- New Games You Should Play This November: Get Lost in a Puzzle Box, Jump Your Way Out of a Cult, and Craft Your New Life on an Island - TheStranger.com - November 7th, 2021
- Steam Deck could be the PS Vita 2 Sony will never give us - Tom's Guide - November 7th, 2021
- The Top 10 Mobile Games List of October 2021 - mxdwn.com - November 7th, 2021
- 'Unpacking' Is a Lovely Game About the Power of Seemingly Mundane Objects - VICE - November 7th, 2021
- New VR Games November 2021: All The Biggest Releases - UploadVR - November 7th, 2021
- New on Switch: Unpacking, World War Z, Just Dance 2022, A Boy and His Blob, Demon Turf, The Smurfs, Popeye, more - Games Asylum - November 7th, 2021
- Tandem: A Tale Of Shadows review: pleasing puzzles but short on character - NME - October 26th, 2021
- This new Kickstarter puts a tiny Game Boy-shaped system on a keychain - and it works - SYFY WIRE - October 26th, 2021
- Why detective video games are the perfect way to experience a mystery - The Guardian - October 26th, 2021
- Review: Out of Line - Movies Games and Tech - October 26th, 2021
- Total Mayhem Games on the evolution of Games with Gold success story, We Were Here - TrueAchievements - October 26th, 2021
- How Beatrix Potter and a fear of open water inspired the surreal, Limbo-like horror puzzler Silt - Rock Paper Shotgun - October 26th, 2021
- Happy Halloween on RPS! Have a load of horror-themed writing to celebrate - Rock Paper Shotgun - October 26th, 2021
- The Biggest Console Flops Of All Time - Looper - October 26th, 2021
- Among the Sleep is a horror game freebie on the Epic Games Store - Destructoid - October 26th, 2021
- Xbox Game Pass Oct 2021: Backbone, The Forgotten City, And More - Kotaku - October 26th, 2021
- Award-Winning Game 'Where Cards Fall' For PC and Switch Gets Release Date - COGconnected - October 15th, 2021
- The best hidden object games on PC and mobile - Polygon - October 15th, 2021
- Eye of the Temple review: Spelunking like Indiana Jones - Android Central - October 15th, 2021
- How to clear the mist on Tsurumi Island: Every Perch puzzle and feather location in Genshin Impact - Gamesradar - October 15th, 2021
- "Midnight Protocol" alluded to: The spirit in the machine - Market Research Telecast - October 15th, 2021
- Piece Together The Truth Of A Mysterious Cube - Gamasutra - October 15th, 2021
- Zookeeper World is a glimpse at life without free-to-play restrictions - Destructoid - October 15th, 2021
- Penn State Trying To 'Complete The Puzzle' In Run Game Ahead Of Iowa Showdown - Onward State - October 15th, 2021
- Singaporean Game Knight Crawlers Brings Whimsical Ragdoll Physics to Action RPGs - IGN SOUTH EAST ASIA - October 15th, 2021
- Challenge your mind with Immortus Temporus on Xbox, PlayStation and Switch - TheXboxHub - October 15th, 2021
- Two Player Mobile Game, Get Together: A Coop Adventure, Will Be Available To Play Tomorrow - mxdwn.com - October 15th, 2021
- Best Wii U Games: Many Of These Games Walked, So Their Switch Ports Could Run - GameSpot - October 15th, 2021
- 5 games that look (and play) better on the Nintendo Switch OLED - NME.com - October 15th, 2021
- Aspyr 25 Anniversary Celebration Starts with Big Sales and More - But Why Tho? A Geek Community - October 15th, 2021
- Plant with Care is a laid-back puzzler about growing ingredients that's heading for iOS and Android this month - Pocket Gamer - October 15th, 2021
- PC Building Simulator is free on the Epic Games Store - The Verge - October 15th, 2021
- Get boxed in with Catty & Batty: The Spirit Guide on console - TheXboxHub - October 15th, 2021
- Play Pass celebrates its 2nd birthday with 12 new games including Very Little Nightmares - Chrome Unboxed - October 15th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: Reviews Featuring 'Underland' and 'Antonball Deluxe', Plus the Latest News, Releases, and Sales TouchArcade - Touch Arcade - October 15th, 2021