Bafta has announced the 53 finalists for its 10th anniversary of the Young Game Designers competition.
The YGD discovers, showcases and supports young people across Britain in their efforts to create their own game.
Finalists this year consist of children, aged 10-18, who have been working individually and collectively at school, coding clubs and at home to demonstrate their imagination in creating compelling games and designs.
Entries to the YGD tackles a diverse range of topics ranging from mental health, female empowerment, climate change and transgender rights.
Bafta Games Awards 2020 winners: Outer Wilds and Disco Elysium win big
Games have been created around these issues and those who have been shortlisted highlight the notion of games as an art form.
In addition to the award, winners will be given the chance to build on their game ideas through a mentoring scheme with leading figures in games.
There are two categories, Game Concept and Game Making, which are split by two age brackets. Here are all the finalists.
Escape Castle (PS4/Xbox Switch) Clio Pantelides and Lauren Yates, 14, London
Escape Castle inspires the growth of lateral thinking skills via a team-building escape game.
Fantaji: If History Met Magic (PC/Nintendo/Playstation/Xbox) Carla Kotter, Mia de Grammont, Amalia Sangiovanni Vincentelli, 12, Cambridge
Complete quests, challenges, levels and more, to gain resources and save the world with magic.
Griffindeim (PS4, Xbox, Nintendo Switch) Morayo Onyia, 12, Inverbervie
A game based on the nine worlds in Viking religion, where you can defeat and befriend giants and monsters.
Heirs To The Throne (PC) Bailey Barnett and Thomas Reigner, 13, Allington
The adventure of a rebellious heir or heiress who strives to escape the restrictive lifestyle that comes with being the heir to a throne in the medieval era, whilst making decisions that changes their life and those around them.
Concept art for Heirs to the Throne (Bailey Barnett/Thomas Reigner/Bafta)
Lunar Landing (Mobile & Tablet, PC, Console Alienware UFO) Joshua Couchman, 14, Leybourne
Honouring the July 1969 Lunar Landing, where you take control of the module, as Neil Armstrong once did, and land it safely on the Moon.
Mall Brawl (Xbox and Playstation) Tej Singh and Jake Franklin, 14, Leeds
This is a ragdoll physics carting game where you can smack other players out of their carts with your joust.
Joust your way to victory in Mall Brawl (Tej Singh/Jake Franklin/Bafta)
My Adventure (Mobile & Tablet) Lucy Bee and Mahnoor Tanveer, 13, Tring
This is a game inspired by nature designed to show young people the world and its inhabitants, including the negative effects human activity can have on the world.
My Escape (PC) Alex Castle and Daniel Purvis, 14, Banbury
Play as 14-year-old girl, Lola, whose parents are constantly arguing. She gets fed up with it and ends up falling down a hole in her back garden that takes her to an alternate reality, one where anything is possible.
Picture Perfect (Mobile & Tablet, PC) Rowan Newington, 12, Ditton
A unique puzzle game where you control a pen with the amplitude of your voice to trace a variety of pictures.
Strung Up (PC) Cameron Crosland, 14, Sheffield
A charming, somewhat challenging Metroidvania with a gripping story.
Code Story Dream (PC) - Eleeza Amin, 15, Hornchurch
An original animated choose-your-path adventure story, which teaches programming through the metaphor of magic and a magical world, and the player uses code to control their actions.
Dog Dash (Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox) Celeste Herron, Eva Simpson, Lara Anne Herron, 16, 16, 18, Kilmarnock
An evil toaster has taken over and enslaved humans with high tech household appliances leaving the fate of humanity to an unlikely pair of family pets.
Fruit Frenzy (Mobile & Tablet) Evie Sanger-Davies, 15, Grantham
A fun and fast-paced platform game where a group of fresh fruit tackle the challenges of infuriating insects and malicious mould to get to the checkout in the gross-ery store - against the clock of their best before dates.
Ghost Town (PC) Sarah Bucksey, 17, Haywards Heath
Ghost town is a unique 2D puzzle platformer, exploring the ideas of coming to terms with losing a loved one through the perspective of a child.
Guiding Light (Xbox, PS4, Nintendo Switch) Joe Straker, 17, Swanley
A puzzle game focusing on memory and coordination through darkness.
Heartstring (Xbox, PS4) Eryn Preece, 18, Burgess Hill
Find your place in the world as a hat.
Every hat needs a home (Eryn Preece/Bafta)
High Spirits (PC) Matthew Swaffield, 19, Helsby
In the once-thriving city of Meteor, you play as a squad of 4 unique characters who are trying to eradicate the new supernatural infestation that has hit the city.
Inversion (Xbox) Holly Lee, 15, Littlehampton
The world keeps turning upside down (in more ways than one), and two impoverished girls are the only ones who stand a chance of righting it for good.
Stageplay (Switch) Dylan Hart, 18, Bedford
Entertain your audience by building a combo from combat and platforming challenges and by taking the more difficult branching paths in the level to earn a higher score, bad performance makes the levels appear as the stage and props they really are.
Suffering in Silence (PC) Anthony Moran, 18, Luton
This is a stealth-based RPG that follows a socially anxious teen who goes out of his way to avoid social situations.
Suffering in Silence is a stealth RPG (Anthony Moran/Bafta)
Attack of The Evil Time-Travelling Vampire Giraffes of Utter Doom Jessica Habgood and Elsie Habgood, 10 and 13, Sheffield
This is a 'wacky platform game' where you play a knight attempting to prevent giraffes rewriting history by jumping on their heads.
Beat The Tube Max Staras, 12, Brighton
This is a game in which you design a vehicle to go over rough terrain and try to reach the end before a tube train gets there.
Complicated Co-operation Alex Robinson, 13, London
Two players connected by an elastic cord have to make their way through 12 unique castles.
Dungeon Dash Matthew Macallister, 14, Chippenham
A game in which you have to escape a perilous dungeon without being caught by the enemies.
Escape a perilous dungeon without being caught by the enemies (Matthew Macallister/Bafta)
Evolution Andrew Ah-Weng, Caden Cheong, Iggy Gill-Ces, 13, Croydon and Exeter
A survival game where you play a gorilla running around collecting berries and food, but avoiding lions.
Hiro Gustav Hills, 13, Exeter
A samurai warrior proving her superior sword fighting skills in a fantasy world inhabited by monsters from Japanese woodcuts, who has to survive kendo battles against Yrei (Japanese ghosts).
Reverse Fishing Alexandre Scheurer, 13, London
Instead of trying to catch the fish as the fisherman, you attempt to escape from Bob the fisherman as the fish.
Spring Raphael Wreford, 13, London
This simple game can 'be played by both sighted and blind people' to try and catch the ball moving across the screen using spring jumping physics.
Starmada Shaun Mugumbat, 13, Leicester
Fast-paced bullet-hell shooting action, which is themed around Space Invaders and Asteroids.
The Thrilling Saga of Towntown Nathan Lecomte, 14, Hampshire
A 2D point-and-click adventure game with physics where you need to save the president of Towntown from an evil corporation who want to turn Towntown into a factory.
10% Jack Peck, 18, UK
Reduce the area of a map below 10% of its original area by slicing off sections fruit-ninja style without cutting off any moving cells.
Contramotion Michael Ballantyne, 17, Oldham
A minimalist 2D platformer based around mirror images and bad puns.
Dungeon Up, Dungeon Down Joe Castle and James Bodiam, 15, Sutton Valence
A top-down infinite dungeon crawler, except there are only two rooms you can move between that radically change whenever you enter them.
Family Dinner Tom Hosford (they/them), 17, Camberley
This game tackles being a closeted transgender teenager at a family dinner, and all the awkwardness and upset that this entails.
10%, created by Jack Peck offers a unique challenge (Jack Peck/Bafta YGA)
Fey The Potion Maker, Sophia Shepherd, 18, Wimbledon
A fantasy-themed puzzle game where you draw magical connections between ingredients to brew potions in your abode among the clouds, with a family-focused story interwoven.
Millions of Minions, Matt Bull, 17, Orpington
A randomly generated dungeon crawler; your main weapon... living creatures that you can control.
The Platformer Project, Mathew Jenkins, 18, Clynderwen
An engaging, fast-paced, action-adventure game, filled with a wide variety of collectables and multiple abilities for you to discover across infinite realms.
Polyphase, Toby Hooper, 17, Redhill
A physics-based, puzzle-solving platformer with 'a unique mechanic' which allows you to 'phase' between objects as you work to complete each level.
Snakelaw Island, David McIntosh, 16, Chepstow
Traverse through an immersive story-based platformer as a duck trying to stop a war.
Trains of Thought, Louis Jackson, 17, Brighton and Hove
A game about navigating a non-Euclidian, physics-defying metro complex.
The winners, selected by a jury of industry experts, will be revealed at the first-ever digital ceremony. This will be taking place online on Thursday, June 18 at 5 pm GMT and you will be able to watch it here, on Bafta's official YouTube channel.
The event will be hosted by Aofie Wilson, a prominent video game journalist, who is also the co-host of the BBC's new gaming podcast, This Game Changed My Life.
- Creaks, a trippy 2D puzzle game, arrives on PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC in July - Daily Star - July 3rd, 2020
- The recursive world simulation & puzzle-making process in Maquette - PlayStation.Blog - July 3rd, 2020
- Maquette Will Bring Mind-Bendingly Clever Recursive Puzzles To PS5, PS4, And PC This Year - GameSpot - July 3rd, 2020
- How citizen scientists and video games are taking on Covid-19 - RTE.ie - July 3rd, 2020
- Felix The Reaper Comes To Life on iOS - GameSpace.com - July 3rd, 2020
- Turok and Grip highlight free games for Twitch Prime members this July - PC Invasion - July 3rd, 2020
- Incredibly Innovative Puzzle Game Carto Comes To PS4 This Fall - PlayStation Universe - July 1st, 2020
- This Doctor Who Sliding Puzzle Game Is Driving Me Insane and I Can't Stop Playing It - Gizmodo - July 1st, 2020
- Made in the USSR: 6 video games Soviets went crazy over - Russia Beyond - July 1st, 2020
- Adventure/puzzle game 'Carto' heading to Switch - GoNintendo - July 1st, 2020
- 10 Fantastic Disney Games From The 16-Bit Era | TheGamer - TheGamer - July 1st, 2020
- Top 10 Addictive Games That Can Help You Cure Boredom at the Workplace - ThisisXbox - July 1st, 2020
- With dinnertime singing and 1,000-piece puzzles, the Portland Thorns are settling into the bubble before faci - OregonLive - July 1st, 2020
- Games to Watch Out For This July GameSpew - GameSpew - June 30th, 2020
- Shelter Tails: Whoever adopts Hank will need a sense of humor - Times Herald-Record - June 30th, 2020
- Apple just unveiled its picks of the best iPad and iPhone apps of the year - here they are - TechRadar - June 30th, 2020
- Doctor Who fans are losing their minds over the new Thirteen Doctors game - RadioTimes - June 30th, 2020
- THOSE WHO REMAIN Review: Fear Of The Dark And Heavy Decisions - GameTyrant - June 30th, 2020
- Five new Steam games you probably missed (June 29, 2020) - PC Gamer - June 29th, 2020
- The Almost Gone Review - New Game Network - June 29th, 2020
- Power-Ups - The New York Times - June 29th, 2020
- United Fresh LIVE! Badge, Puzzle and Trivia winners announced - FreshPlaza.com - June 29th, 2020
- Review: Neversong's Moody Nightmare World Doesn't Strike the Right Chords - thirdcoastreview.com - June 29th, 2020
- How Xbox Series X Game Call Of The Sea Uses The Console's Power - GameSpot - June 29th, 2020
- The best new Android and iOS apps you should download this week - AndroidPIT - June 28th, 2020
- Nintendo Switch free games news: Two unmissable free downloads have just hit the eShop - Express - June 28th, 2020
- Apple Arcade needs games made with iPads in mind - heres why - TechRadar - June 28th, 2020
- Here's what we played during the Steam Game Festival Part 2 - GTOGG - June 28th, 2020
- Here are the discussions you missed in the PC Gamer forums this week - PC Gamer - June 28th, 2020
- Puzzler Superliminal Releasing July 7th - Pure PlayStation - June 26th, 2020
- THE ALMOST GONE Review: An Intriguing Puzzle Game With A Haunting Tale - GameTyrant - June 26th, 2020
- The Almost Gone review dreamlike puzzles unlock a world of dark unease - The Guardian - June 26th, 2020
- Urban Flow is coming tomorrow, 26th of June! - GamingLyfe Network - June 26th, 2020
- European eShop releases for the week of June 25th, 2020 - GoNintendo - June 26th, 2020
- Uncover the truth behind the dioramas of The Almost Gone , now available! - Gamasutra - June 26th, 2020
- Blair Witch, Mr. DRILLER DrillLand, Ninjala, Duke Nukem 3D, and SpongeBob Rehydrated hit the Switch - Games Asylum - June 26th, 2020
- Garden Story pushes its harvest back to 2021 - Shacknews - June 26th, 2020
- Dr. Mario World Introduces Dr Baby Wario, And We're Not Sure If He's Cute Or Not - GameSpot - June 24th, 2020
- An Ode to The End - SUPERJUMP - Medium - June 24th, 2020
- Indie Spotlight: Why KO_OP believes Apple Arcade is the perfect introduction for non-gamers - Pocket Gamer.Biz - June 24th, 2020
- Gotta drink up! Heres the official Sonic energy drink - Thumbsticks - June 24th, 2020
- Ever Forward is coming to Switch at the end of the year - Videogamer.com - June 24th, 2020
- The 10 Best Tetris Video Games Of All Time | Game Rant - GameRant - June 24th, 2020
- Five new games to play on your mobile this summer - The Upcoming - June 23rd, 2020
- 'Circulous', the Semi-Sequel to 'The Company Game' from Teenage Developer Chain Reaction Games, Now Available for Pre-Order - Touch Arcade - June 23rd, 2020
- Ever Forward by Pathea Games is Coming to Nintendo Switch - Gamasutra - June 23rd, 2020
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV Western Release on PlayStation 4 Set for October 27, PC and Switch in 2021 - Niche Gamer - June 23rd, 2020
- Time travel puzzle game The Great Perhaps coming to PS4, Xbox One, and Switch on July 10 - Gematsu - June 23rd, 2020
- The Last of Us Part 2 Review: A Brutally Heartfelt Masterpiece - KeenGamer News - June 23rd, 2020
- New Catherine: Full Body Switch Trailer Revealed at New Game Plus Expo - GameRant - June 23rd, 2020
- CLASS IN SESSION! MYSTERIOUS PUZZLE ADVENTURE GAME THE ACADEMY: THE FIRST RIDDLE UNVEILS ITS SECRETS TODAY - Gamasutra - June 22nd, 2020
- The World Video Game Hall of Fame 2020 inductees have been announced - My Nintendo News - June 22nd, 2020
- Page A4 | E-Edition | thetandd.com - The Times and Democrat - June 22nd, 2020
- 10 PS4 Games That Are Harder Than Dark Souls | Game Rant - GameRant - June 22nd, 2020
- Lots of us adopted dogs in quarantine: 'Dog Whisperer' Csar Milln has some tips - Greater Milwaukee Today - June 22nd, 2020
- Protagonists, Puzzles and Ports: An Interview With Ever Forward's Producer - GameSpew - June 22nd, 2020
- Picture Puzzle Market Share, Growth, Statistics, By Application, Production, Revenue & Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- The best retro games and PS4 remasters on sale - Explica - June 22nd, 2020
- Games of the week Skelattack, Maneater, Potata: Fairy Flower and SpongeBob: Patty Pursuit - Inverness Courier - June 22nd, 2020
- Solution to Riddle of the Week: The Pickleball Puzzle - Yahoo News - June 21st, 2020
- This is the first prescription video game for treating ADHD in kids - The Indian Express - June 21st, 2020
- What's something about games you didn't mind as a kid but can't stand now? - PC Gamer - June 21st, 2020
- How to Solve The Secret Silent Hill Clock Tower Puzzle in Dead by Daylight - Screen Rant - June 19th, 2020
- 15 must-try demos from the Steam Summer Game Festival - PCWorld - June 19th, 2020
- Augmented Reality Mobile Games Market to See Massive Growth by 2025 | Niantic, Sony, Six to Start - 3rd Watch News - June 19th, 2020
- Rising SEA Woven Is a Free Collection of Mini-Games Celebrating Southeast Asian Culture - The Escapist - June 19th, 2020
- Pokmon Caf Mix is an absolutely adorable puzzle game for Switch and mobile - The Verge - June 18th, 2020
- App Army Assemble: Reky - Is this Bauhaus-inspired puzzler a must-buy on mobile? - Pocket Gamer - June 18th, 2020
- Play This, Not That: The Last of Us Part II - SuperParent - June 17th, 2020
- Download over 900 demos in the Steam Summer Game Festival - AllGamers - June 17th, 2020
- Stockholm-based Stillfront lands 114 million to expand its global group of gaming studios - EU-Startups - June 17th, 2020
- 'Kosmokrats' Puts Starship-Building in the Hands of a Potato Peeler - Indie Games Plus - June 17th, 2020
- Copy Cats - The New York Times - June 17th, 2020
- The biggest news from the Upload VR Showcase: Summer Edition - Digital Trends - June 16th, 2020
- Ever Forward Interview - The Art Of Designing Narrative-Driven Puzzles - Noisy Pixel - June 16th, 2020
- Games from Iceberg Interactive in the Steam Summer Festival - FULLSYNC - June 16th, 2020
- Unitied, a Minimalist and Relaxing Puzzle Game coming to Switch June 25th - SwitchWatch - June 16th, 2020
- Go To Hell In VR Puzzler Trial By Teng From The Creators Of Form - UploadVR - June 16th, 2020
- Bundle for Racial Justice Closes with 8 Million Raised - Heavy.com - June 16th, 2020
- Surgeon Simulator 2 is Transplanting to the Epic Games Store in August - GameSpew - June 16th, 2020