Artie has raised $10 million to make instant mobile games that can be played directly inside social media, video, and messaging platforms in a way that bypasses the app stores that take their 30% cut of game revenues.
Artie started its life as a platform to make intelligent augmented reality avatars. But AR hasnt blossomed as quickly as expected, and so the company has pivoted from making digital AR avatars to making instant games with its cartoon-style avatars. And since these games can be played natively in social apps, message systems, or video platforms without any additional app downloads, they eliminate the need for apps.
Arties technology enables mobile games to be played directly inside media platforms without any additional app downloads, applications programming interface (API) access, or integration needed, said CEO Ryan Horrigan in an interview with GamesBeat. The company is focused on making mobile games easier to discover and play for consumers while improving the economics of mobile games for developers and creators.
The good thing is that players dont have to go through app stores and so developers dont have to surrender a 30% fee to the likes of Apple or Google Play.The game industry has long yearned for an alternate distribution solution to app stores and their fees. Thats one reason why Fortnite maker Epic Games is suing Apple right now. Artie also plans to open a new revenue stream for celebrities, athletes, music artists, influencers, and creators by enabling them to bring branded games directly to their audiences. Artie has quietly built its platform over the past 18 months with plans to unveil it to the world along with an initial slate of games later this spring.
We made the change well over a year ago, and this also happened months before Epic and Apple clashed, Horrigan said. We were already thinking about the financial constraints of app stores and the pain that publishers were facing. We knew that there were really two problems. Theres 30% off the top. But theres also the rising cost of paid media every year, because of the saturation of app stores. Its more and more expensive year over year to acquire players.
Above: Ryan Horrigan (left) and Armando Kirwin are the founders of Artie.
Image Credit: Artie
Arties latest backers include Zynga founder, Mark Pincus; Kevin Durant and Rich Kleimans Thirty Five Ventures; music mogul Scooter Brauns Raised In Space; Shutterstock founder Jon Oringer; Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss; ByteDances largest early backer, Susquehanna International Group; Harris Blitzer Sports and Entertainment plus The Sixers Lab; Manuel Bronstein, vice president of product at Google; and YouTube founder, Chad Hurley.
Additional backers include early SpaceX, Uber, and Niantic backer Cyan Banister; Founders Fund; Warner Music Group; game industry thought-leader Matthew Ball; Niv Drors Shrug Capital; and top executives from Amazon, Twitter, and Square.
A key part of YouTubes early growth strategy was making sure our videos could be shared and played anywhere without friction. Artie is taking the same approach for high-quality mobile games, said Hurley in a statement.
This latest capital will enable Artie to continue advancing its technology platform and launch an initial slate of games in 2021. The games will likely be playable on platforms such as TikTok, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Twitch, and YouTube.
Artie has forged several key partnerships with celebrities, athletes, and influencers for its first games. They include a choose-your-own-adventure-style mobile game with a big superhero intellectual property, a puzzle game based on Alice in Wonderland, a multiplayer/social virtual beer pong game, and a collaborative party game. Horrigan hopes to launch three games this year.
Above: Arties games can be played in social media.
Image Credit: Artie
Previously, Artie was trying to make virtual beings that were rendering in Instagram and could spread across the web. But they saw that games was a bigger opportunity and a much bigger market.This meant the company had to de-emphasize the virtual being AI tech.
Horrigan said the company originally wanted to create intelligent avatars for gaming. Then it pivoted over the last 18 months to its new take on instantly playable games.
Apple doesnt allow companies to easily monetize iMessage games, and they arent very shareable across platforms. But using the Unity game engine gives Artie the ability to deliver a better experience. The game can download some parts of the experience from the cloud, but for the most part the difficult job rendering the graphics, is done on the phone itself, using the phones graphics capability, Kirwin said.
To share a game, you simply share a link on social media such as Twitter. A friend can click on that link and immediately start playing the game. Kirwin said the tech streams assets and control data from the cloud to the phone, but the rendering happens on the phone. That means that the cloud data doesnt clog up the bandwidth to the smartphone and use up costly data, but the game can tap cloud-based updates.
Were still trying to push that limit, but we know that its already obviously superior to the status quo, Kirwin said. This new approach is very exciting.
The chance for having a viral hit on the social platforms could be much higher, as its so easy to share a link for a game. That lowers the costs of user acquisition.
You can share a game from the Facebook ecosystem to a friend on TikTok or Apple, Kirwin said. We bring you the look and fee of an App Store game, but with the open web.
Above: Artie is making an Alice in Wonderland instant game.
Image Credit: Artie
And unlike cloud gaming services from major technology companies that stream video to players, Arties approach does not suffer from latency issues on mobile connections and is nearly 10 times more cost-efficient to operate, Horrigan said.
We felt our version of instant games would differentiate us from cloud gaming and modern web games, he said. We touch a sweet spot for mobile.
You cant use them to make marquee mobile games, Horrigan said.
The Artie platform also enables optional next-gen gameplay features, including voice, texting, and camera input, using proprietary AI technology built from the ground up for games. The company believes that AI will play a critical role in the future of gaming by unlocking more immersive and personalized gaming experiences driving up engagement.
Artie plans to release a software development kit (SDK) and open its platform to all game developers and creators.The Artie team of 17 people consists of engineers and game developers from Activision/Blizzard, Jam City, Playtika, Infinity Ward, Disney, Snap, Mozilla, and Facebook.
So far, the company cant play high twitch games with a lot of interaction, such as a shooter game like Fortnite or a fighting game. But it can run most other genres.
We can deliver something that feels as good as a Nintendo Switch game, but it requires no hardware or app download whatsoever, he said. Its approaching console quality from one or two generations ago.
- Aloof, the cutest puzzle-fighter ever, arrives on Switch later this year thanks to RedDeer.games - Gamasutra - July 21st, 2021
- Nintendo News: Shape Your Next Adventure With Three Additional Super NES Games Arriving to Nintendo Switch Online - Business Wire - July 21st, 2021
- 7 Billion Humans finally arrives on Android | Articles - Pocket Gamer - July 21st, 2021
- Do 2.7 billion gamers around the world hold the key to solving climate change? - Illinoisnewstoday.com - July 21st, 2021
- Skyward Sword HD Proves That Future Zelda Games Need Traditional Dungeons - Den of Geek - July 21st, 2021
- Five Games to Play While You Wait for Breath of the Wild 2 - The New York Times - July 21st, 2021
- ITALY. Land of Wonders lets you discover the cultural heritage of the country via puzzles, out now on iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - July 21st, 2021
- miHoYo's Tears of Themis is Releasing July 29th for Mobile and Android - Goomba Stomp - July 21st, 2021
- Heres The Lowdown On That Kick-Ass 2.5D Cyberpunk Game - Kotaku - July 21st, 2021
- Arcsmith is a Quirky VR Puzzle Game from Thomas Was Alone Studio, Coming to Quest in July - Road to VR - July 7th, 2021
- Cat Detective Mimo and the Case of the Increasingly Meta Bank Heist - Alternate Reality Gaming Network - July 7th, 2021
- Solve Puzzles and Escape a Horrifying Mansion in The Tartarus Key - The Nerd Stash - July 7th, 2021
- Imagine that quest in Oblivion where you get stuck in a painting, but it's a whole puzzle game now - Rock Paper Shotgun - July 7th, 2021
- Xbox Cloud Gaming Is The Future, But Its Not There Yet - Kotaku - July 7th, 2021
- 30 Steam Games All Less Than $25 To Amuse Yourself With - PC Perspective - July 7th, 2021
- 'The Spectrum Retreat' Free On Epic Games Store, 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead' and 'Ironcast' Next Week - WorthPlaying.com - July 7th, 2021
- PlayStation Now Games Release Tomorrow And They Look Great - Pure PlayStation - July 7th, 2021
- A Tale Of Synapse: The Chaos Theories Review Pretty But Uneven Puzzles - News Nation USA - July 7th, 2021
- We're Open: Out of the Box includes unique games, puzzles, and toys - Fox17 - June 24th, 2021
- Seriously Addictive Mobile Games That Will Help You Kill Time - YouBeauty - June 24th, 2021
- Myst VR remake confirmed for release in Q3 2021 - NME - June 24th, 2021
- I Turned to Jigsaw Puzzles When My World Fell Apart - The New York Times - June 24th, 2021
- The Brilliant Puzzler 'Baba Is You' from Hempuli Just Released on iOS and Android with over 200 Levels Included - Touch Arcade - June 24th, 2021
- The Best N64 Games of All Time - Your Money Geek - June 24th, 2021
- The best video games of 2021 so far - The Guardian - June 24th, 2021
- Every Major Upcoming Aussie Indie Game You Should Keep An Eye On - Kotaku Australia - June 24th, 2021
- 35 Indie Games That Really Want Your Attention - Kotaku - June 24th, 2021
- Ticket to Ride: Track Switcher Is a Logic Puzzle Game for Kids and Adults - SuperParent - June 8th, 2021
- PlayStation Talent reveals 21 new indie titles ahead of E3 - NME.com - June 8th, 2021
- Tetris Effect Celebrates the Puzzler's Anniversary and Origin with Awesome Secret Stage - Push Square - June 8th, 2021
- Review: Bunny Factory - Movies Games and Tech - June 8th, 2021
- Universal Studios Japan has reopened to the public - Nintendo Wire - June 8th, 2021
- Eight awesome indie PC games you shouldnt miss this June - PCGamesN - June 8th, 2021
- Guerrilla Collective 2021 Day 1: All the Games Announced and Unveiled - TechnoSports - June 8th, 2021
- Unsigned: Finding the things we've lost in ourselves in Love A Puzzle Box filled with Stories | Business News - MCV/Develop - June 8th, 2021
- Fire Tonight brings heartfelt narrative puzzling to Switch, PC in August - Nintendo Enthusiast - June 8th, 2021
- Trenga Unlimited Is Rather Limited XSX Review But Why Tho? - But Why Tho? A Geek Community - May 27th, 2021
- 14 of the best hidden gems on Xbox Game Pass - The Guardian - May 27th, 2021
- Mondoku is a colorful number puzzle game that will be released on Android and iOS in the near future. - Gaming News - BollyInside - May 27th, 2021
- All You Need to Know Before Developing an Android Game App - TechBullion - May 27th, 2021
- New games coming to Xbox Game Pass this May include Knockout City and Maneater - PinkNews - May 27th, 2021
- Digital music festival Save & Sound kicks off this weekend with sales on Steam - Gamasutra - May 27th, 2021
- How to play Android games on your PC with BlueStacks - Android Central - May 27th, 2021
- Want To Make Your Kids Gaming Session Productive? Play These Educational Games - IWMBuzz - May 27th, 2021
- Word games for kids: Enhance your kid's creativity and learning - Times of India - May 27th, 2021
- Relive Your Childhood with the Best SNES Games - Your Money Geek - May 27th, 2021
- Portal Movie Revealed to be In Active Development - EsportsTalk - May 27th, 2021
- Maneater and Knockout City are among the Xbox Game Pass games available in May - Gaming News - BollyInside - May 27th, 2021
- The Chronos Principle is a minimalist puzzle game coming this week for iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - May 15th, 2021
- Pokemon Games Never Change: For True Evolution, Play the Spin-Offs - PCMag - May 15th, 2021
- Game reviews: Resident Evil Village, New Pokemon Snap, Hood: Outlaws & Legends and Simon's Cat put to the test - Wales Online - May 15th, 2021
- NEO: The World Ends With You Hints at the Return of Another Old Friend - IGN Nordic - May 15th, 2021
- Exploring the Discourse on Wholesome Games - TechRaptor - May 15th, 2021
- What Are Some Underrated Games You Love That Nobody Talks About? - Kotaku Australia - May 15th, 2021
- New Pokemon Snap Successfully Modernizes the Classic N64 Formula - Den of Geek - May 15th, 2021
- New VR Games May 2021: All The Biggest Releases - UploadVR - May 3rd, 2021
- The Easiest Way to Boost Your Gamerscore with New Games and Xbox Game Pass Additions from April 2021 - TheXboxHub - May 3rd, 2021
- New Pokemon Snap Is Missing One Major Type of Puzzle From the Original Pokemon Snap - ComicBook.com - May 3rd, 2021
- Out of Line Hands-on Preview - Welcome to the Machine - COGconnected - May 3rd, 2021
- Solving puzzles as a spy duo in Operation: Tango is fun, but it needs to up the suspense - PC Gamer - May 3rd, 2021
- Outer Worlds DLC teased in a series of cryptic tweets - NME.com - May 3rd, 2021
- Ubisoft Switch Sale Has Deals On Everything From Assassin's Creed To Rayman - GameSpot - May 3rd, 2021
- Tweens and Teens for Mother's Day - Portsmouth Daily Times - May 3rd, 2021
- Puzzling Places to Launch on Oculus Quest Store This Fall - Road to VR - April 18th, 2021
- Eastern Illinois AD part of committee working on FCS playoff puzzle - ChicagoNow - April 18th, 2021
- Puzzle Bobble VR: Vacation Odyssey Will Arrive in May - Siliconera - April 18th, 2021
- Demonoid Allows You To Play Free Games Online on Web - Fortune India - April 18th, 2021
- 'Oxenfree II: Lost Signals' headlines a new crop of Switch indie games - Engadget - April 18th, 2021
- The Electronic Wireless Show Podcast episode 136: the best weather in games special - Rock Paper Shotgun - April 18th, 2021
- Kinda Funnys Blessing Jr. Does an Entire Episode of The Blessing Show From Within Dreams - PlayStation LifeStyle - April 18th, 2021
- 14 free apps and games for Android for a limited time | Technology Explica .co - Explica - April 18th, 2021
- 11 new Android games from the last week: The best, worst, and everything in between (3/29/21 - 4/4/21) - Android Police - April 4th, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 4th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Dungeon & Puzzles', 'Stick Fight: The Game', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - April 4th, 2021
- The Three Best and Worst Games of March 2021 - COGconnected - April 4th, 2021
- Google Play Pass now has over 800 games, apps - HT Tech - April 4th, 2021
- The Easiest Ways to Boost Your Gamerscore from the Xbox Games of March 2021 - TheXboxHub - April 4th, 2021
- Game of the Month: March 2021's Best PS5, PS4 Games - Pure PlayStation - April 4th, 2021
- This Weeks VR Game Roundup: New Archery Game, Kitchen Island VR - VR Fitness Insider - April 4th, 2021