HALIFAXBrett Lauther will be returning home this summer.
The CFL announced Thursday it will hold a regular-season game in Halifax in July. The Toronto Argonauts will host the Saskatchewan Roughriders on July 25 at Huskies Stadium at Saint Marys University.
It will be a homecoming for Lauther, the Riders kicker and Saint Marys alumnus who hails from Truro. N.S. And with Regina hosting the Grey Cup in November, Lauther has another big reason to look forward to the 2020 season.
Its going to be surreal, Lauther said. Getting to come home and be with family and friends whove kind of followed me on this journey and getting to play in my own back yard is going to be something Ill never forget.
My first (CFL) game was in Moncton and I thought it couldnt get better than that, so I kind of feel pretty spoiled right now.
Saskatchewan, under first-year head coach Craig Dickenson, finished atop the West Division with a 13-5 record before losing 20-13 to the eventual Grey Cup-champion Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the division final.
Toronto (4-14) missed the CFL playoffs for a second straight year. The Argos have a new head coach in Ryan Dinwiddie, a former quarterbacks coach with the Calgary Stampeders.
Lauther, 29, made his CFL debut Sept. 21, 2013 with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats when they dropped a 28-26 decision to the Montreal Alouettes before 15,123 spectators at Moncton Stadium. The CFL staged an exhibition game at Huskies Stadium in 2005 as 11,148 watched Toronto and Hamilton battle to a 16-16 tie.
A three-day festival will precede the game in what the CFL says will mark its biggest Touchdown Atlantic ever.
Our league belongs to Canadians from coast-to-coast-to-coast and for one fabulous weekend this July, the east coast will be its capital, CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie said in a statement. We are bringing the football and the fun.
Were inviting everyone in Atlantic Canada to join the party, and everyone in the rest of the country to come for the game and stay for a vacation.
The CFL said roughly 6,000 temporary seats will be installed at Huskies Stadium to boost capacity for the game to 10,000.
The previous four Touchdown Atlantic games were held in Moncton, N.B. Last year, Montreal defeated Toronto 28-22 before 10,126 spectators at Croix-Bleue Medavie Stadium.
Weve got that loyal fan base that just loves it and giving up that game is tough for them, especially doing it two years in a row, said Argos GM Mike (Pinball) Clemons. But weve all been asked to have that greater vision.
One of the most important pieces of the puzzle when you look at our growth and where were going is a team in Atlantic Canada. To me, truly uniting us from coast to coast is a significant sacrifice for our season-ticket holder but its a small sacrifice as we look at the vision of the league and where were trying to go.
Schooners Sports and Entertainment (SSE), a group trying to secure a CFL expansion franchise for Halifax, is again sponsoring the game. It did so also last year.
The game here in 2005 had over 10,000 fans and I think having a regular-season game is super exciting, said Bruce Bowser, a founder and owner of SSE. Weve been promoting Saskatchewan as a sort of a role model for what football in Atlantic Canada could look like with the fans, fan base and enthusiasm they have around the team.
Atlantic Canadians seeing Roughriders fans and Riderville here is going to really be inspiring.
Last month, Halifax Regional Municipality voted in favour of providing a one-time $20-million contribution to a proposed CFL-friendly stadium so long as it was at a site other than Shannon Park. SSE had settled on a six- to eight-hectare site at Shannon Park, a surplus military site in north-end Dartmouth, for $110-million stadium.
But a report suggested the site lacks transportation options to get spectators to and from the venue and would need millions of dollars in infrastructure investment.
Ambrosie has remained bullish on Halifax becoming the leagues 10th franchise. But he has stated repeatedly its contingent on a suitable stadium being built in the largest city in Atlantic Canada.
Its a slow process, a lot slower than what Im used to as an entrepreneur, Bowser said. Were now out looking at other sites, were working very closely with the league and some of the teams to bring in their areas of expertise in buildings and team operations and management so we put the right plans together.
Tickets will go on sale at the end of next month. Although prices werent announced, Ambrosie stressed the game will be affordable with an average ticket price of approximately $50.
Get more sports in your inbox
Get the Star's Sports Headlines email newsletter for a daily round-up of the latest big news.
For Lauther, a 10th team in the CFL would only reinforce what hes continually told people across the league about the Maritimes.
Id like showing off where Im from, he said. I always try to tell my teammates coaches and everyone else, how awesome it is out here and what its like.
No one really has a chance to come out but for me to be able to come back and at least play a couple games each year where friends and family could come see would be so special.
- Explore a hole new world in free puzzle game Hole and Box - PC Gamer - February 28th, 2020
- The Room: A Dark Matter Coming to All Major VR Headsets in Late March, Trailer Here - Road to VR - February 28th, 2020
- ART OF THE WEEK | Why You Should Play (or Replay) the Portal Series - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - February 28th, 2020
- Maquette is a daring puzzle sport love story a decade within the making - BingePost - February 28th, 2020
- 'Survivor 40: Winners at War': Who Was Voted Off in Episode 3? The Blindsides Begin at the 4th Tribal Council - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 28th, 2020
- Puzzle No. 3526 - The Nation - February 27th, 2020
- Whitehaven still trying to solve fixtures puzzle - News & Star - February 27th, 2020
- A Good Puzzle to Have for Vance Vice - 247Sports - February 27th, 2020
- MasterPieces To Debut Clifford The Big Red Dog Games and Puzzles Line - aNb Media - February 27th, 2020
- 'Dispatches from Elsewhere': Meet the 4 ordinary people who become 'unwitting participants' in mysterious game - MEAWW - February 27th, 2020
- Baldur's Gate 3 looks great even when everything is going wrong - PC Gamer - February 27th, 2020
- Timelie Is coming To PC, A Beautiful Puzzle Game That Follows The Story Of A Girl And Her Cat - Happy Gamer - February 26th, 2020
- One Of The Most Creepy Puzzle Game Little Nightmares To Release Its part 2 - The Inner Sane - February 26th, 2020
- Prep Regionals Preview: Five Twin Harbors teams play in regionals this weekend - The Daily World - February 26th, 2020
- Neil Cameron: Why the Rangers players have let Steven Gerrard down - HeraldScotland - February 26th, 2020
- How conservatives rigged our politics: Republicans are beating Democrats at a game they dont even know theyre playing - AlterNet - February 26th, 2020
- A wizard themed mystery game is coming to Edinburgh - here's everything you need to know - The Scotsman - February 26th, 2020
- Disc Room for Windows PC is an action game, full of deadly buzzsaws - Polygon - February 24th, 2020
- The Global Online Toys and Games Retailing Market is expected to grow by USD 9.10 bn during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of 10% during the... - February 24th, 2020
- New History Mystery escape game Goin' Up City opens at Museum of Norwich | What's on and things to do in Norfolk - Eastern Daily Press - February 24th, 2020
- Surviving the Season as 2020 Supercross Hits the Halfway Point - Supercross - Racer X Online - February 24th, 2020
- March Madness, but for gamers - University at Buffalo The Spectrum - February 24th, 2020
- Markus Hannikainen traded to the Arizona Coyotes for a conditional pick - The Cannon - February 24th, 2020
- Don Sweeney doesnt land big name, but fills needs - Boston Herald - February 24th, 2020
- Resolved - The New York Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Can You Flip Your Way To Victory? - FiveThirtyEight - February 23rd, 2020
- The puzzle why Millwall seem to perform better against top sides boss gives opinion | - Southwark News - February 23rd, 2020
- 'This Is Us' Fans Think the Time Capsule Reveals How the Series Ends for Randall, Kevin, and Kate - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - February 23rd, 2020
- Buffalo Games Partners With BuzzFeed To Create Line Of Party Games - Yahoo Finance - February 22nd, 2020
- Goff: Three trades the Wild should consider that don't involve draft picks - SKOR North - February 22nd, 2020
- Astros' Reddick tells of death threats to his children over cheating scandal - The Guardian - February 22nd, 2020
- TFNY: Winning Moves Debuts New Games and Puzzles - The Toy Book - February 21st, 2020
- Exciting New Games And Puzzles From Winning Moves USA - PRNewswire - February 21st, 2020
- inbento, the excellent food-themed puzzle game, will be heading for Nintendo Switch in March - Pocket Gamer - February 21st, 2020
- Kosmokrats Is A New Russian Inspired Zero-Gravity Adventure Puzzle Game That Is Headed Straight For Steam... - Happy Gamer - February 21st, 2020
- Atari launches new mobile games to accelerate its growth and issues new shares with preferential subscription rights in partnership with two... - February 21st, 2020
- InnerSpace: What You Should Know About the Epic Games Store Freebie - CCN.com - February 21st, 2020
- 6 Casino and Slot Game Trends to Be on the Lookout for in 2020 - Net Newsledger - February 21st, 2020
- TFNY: MasterPieces Debuts Clifford the Big Red Dog Puzzle and Game Collection The Toy Book - The Toy Book - February 20th, 2020
- World of Horror is a creepy, retro, and completely hypnotic horror game - The Verge - February 20th, 2020
- Retooling Pistons will use seasons last 25 games to help plot their future, Casey says - Pistons.com - February 20th, 2020
- Survivor: Winners at War Recap: A Fire Token Economy Revamps the Game - TVLine - February 20th, 2020
- Second-Half Surge: Vancouver Whitecaps use pair of second-half goals to coast to win over Revolution - Between The Sticks - February 20th, 2020
- The 6 best and 6 worst Lord of the Rings games - Looper - February 20th, 2020
- Fight Zombie Gorillas and Save Your Spaceship at a VR Hub in a Kensington Warehouse - Broadsheet - February 20th, 2020
- 50 Ideas For Things To Do Around Cleveland In The Cold - Talk Radio 1210 WPHT - February 19th, 2020
- 'I can sense the hurt': Mookie Betts, David Price give World Series hope to Dodgers team hungry for a title - USA TODAY - February 19th, 2020
- Show Interest - The New York Times - February 19th, 2020
- Cavaliers legend Jim Chones loves team bucking small-ball trend: Theres always going to be room for a big man - Akron Beacon Journal - February 19th, 2020
- Video game review: 7th Sector: An inspired sci-fi game from the point of view of a spark - Worcester Telegram - February 18th, 2020
- MouseCraft Will Bring A Blend Of Tetris And Lemmings To Switch Next Week - Nintendo Life - February 18th, 2020
- PATH OF GIANTS Review: Teamwork Makes The Puzzles Work - GameTyrant - February 17th, 2020
- Video Game Makers Want to Get Players Off the Couch - The New York Times - February 17th, 2020
- Fortnite Teasing Next Season's Content With Intercepted Transmission - Screen Rant - February 17th, 2020
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate Will Be Free At Epic Games Store This Week - GameSpot - February 17th, 2020
- Is it just a new ballpark? What to expect from the 2020 Texas Rangers - WFAA.com - February 17th, 2020
- Pass a controller and gear up for these co op games - Nintendo - February 16th, 2020
- Florida teacher shocks Pat Sajak by solving Wheel of Fortune puzzle with only four letters - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - February 16th, 2020
- LCHS girls advances to the NW Regional Championship game with a win over WInfield 47-32 - Times Daily - February 16th, 2020
- Free Online Puzzle Games and Board Games from AddictingGames.com - February 15th, 2020
- Those Who Remain: hands-on with the scary puzzle game - Den of Geek UK - February 15th, 2020
- Leonardo and chess - TheArticle - February 15th, 2020
- Florida teacher shocks Pat Sajak by solving Wheel of Fortune puzzle with only four letters - Apalachicola Times - February 15th, 2020
- Lamar opens new season with win over Rhode Island - 12newsnow.com KBMT-KJAC - February 15th, 2020
- Google announces five new games for Stadia, the first since the cloud service launched - The Verge - February 14th, 2020
- Patterned, the popular Apple Arcade puzzle game, has received some new Valentine's and Spring themed content - Pocket Gamer - February 14th, 2020
- Untitled Goose Game HONKs its way to GOTY at the 2020 DICE Awards - PCGamesN - February 14th, 2020
- Best new mobile games on iOS and Android - February 2020 round-up - Metro.co.uk - February 14th, 2020
- GTFO is a punishing co-op shooter where shooting should be considered a last resort - GamesRadar - February 14th, 2020
- Domingo Santana Adds Power (And Leaky Defense) To The Cleveland Indians Roster - Forbes - February 14th, 2020
- Can you find the engagement ring in this Valentine's Day brainteaser? - Insider - INSIDER - February 14th, 2020
- Zynga's Earnings Report Sends the Stock Up. Will the Rise Continue? - Motley Fool - February 14th, 2020
- Putting the Pieces Together: Florida Baseball Season Preview - ESPN 98.1 FM - 850 AM WRUF - WRUF - February 14th, 2020
- Those Who Remain: Hands-on with the Scary Puzzle Game - Den of Geek US - February 13th, 2020
- How to Solve the Dawn of Fear Chess Piece Puzzle | Game Rant - GameRant - February 13th, 2020
- Apple Arcade gives its games the Valentine's Day treatment - CNET - February 13th, 2020
- Historic & Momentous Weekend Of Hockey In The WCHA - FloHockey - February 13th, 2020
- Xavier and Tamia Tillman prepare to welcome son to family triangle - The State News - February 13th, 2020
- Here's what you need to buy to play Half-Life: Alyx on March 23 - The Next Web - February 13th, 2020
- Smart Toys and Games Debuting New Products at Toy Fair, Booth 2835 - Yahoo Finance - February 13th, 2020