If you're looking for advice on the best apps for your iPhone or iPad, then there's nowhere better to turn to on the matter (apart from TechRadar) than Apple itself, and the company has just announced its picks of the eight best designed apps of the year.
That's thanks to the Apple Design Awards 2020, part of the company's annual developer conference WWDC 2020 which also brought us the unveiling of iOS 14, iPadOS 14, watchOS 7 and more. Now, we know which apps Apple thinks were the best designed of the year.
There are four productivity or creative apps, and four games included as part of the list. It's worth pointing out that not all of the apps are new, so presumably the design awards can be given to recognize new updates which improve an app, but the games were all released less than a year ago, with two of them being part of Apple Arcade.
We'll list the apps that won the Apple Design Awards below, so you can see if any are ones you might benefit from.
The first app mentioned, Shapr 3D, is a computer-assisted drawing app for iPads, which lets you create 3D drawings for designers and artists without needing an actual computer to do so. You can check out Shapr 3D on the App Store here.
Another iPad-only app, Looom, is for creating hand-drawn animation and, in particular, looping animations. You can use an Apple Pencil or just your finger to easily sketch and animate. Looom is on the App Store here.
While Sibelius is the go-to computer program for writing music, it seems StaffPad could be that for tablets - it lets you hand-write notation, and it then adds that into the stave so you can edit it further. Like the two apps mentioned before, it's only available on iPad, but it seems great for people looking to write their own compositions. Check out StaffPad on the App Store here.
The final creativity app to be awarded actually is available on iPhones as well as iPads - Darkroom is a photo editing app which has been popular for a while. It's not as complicated as Photoshop but that's its charm, as anyone can easily turn their phone camera snaps into great-looking works of art by quickly tweaking some of the details. See if Darkroom could help you on the App Store by clicking here.
Sayonara Wild Hearts was one of the flagship Apple Arcade games, featuring prominently in the games service's marketing and promotion, and it's the first game winner of the Apple Design Awards 2020. The game is an arcade action game with a very distinct aesthetic style, and a strong musical element too. You can see it on the App Store here.
One non-Apple Arcade game to win was Song of Bloom, and it's harder to explain than the others on this list. It's a puzzle game which requires you to think outside the box to complete its wildly varying puzzles - maybe we'd best let its App Store page do the explaining.
Where Cards Fall is quite your typical Apple Arcade game, combining a cartoonish art style, oblique narrative focus, and relatively little gameplay, and clearly it has captured some hearts because of this. It's about reliving memories of the American high school experience, so it may not resonate with everyone, but if you think it's for you, you can check out its App Store entry here.
If you liked the game Journey on the PS3 then you'll like the final award-winner Sky: Children of the Light, because it's by the same developer and has a lot in common with its predecessor. In it you can explore a big cartoon world, and there's a strong multiplayer focus so you can bump into, and join in with, other people exploring the same places as you. Click here to go to its App Store page.
- Aloof, the cutest puzzle-fighter ever, arrives on Switch later this year thanks to RedDeer.games - Gamasutra - July 21st, 2021
- Nintendo News: Shape Your Next Adventure With Three Additional Super NES Games Arriving to Nintendo Switch Online - Business Wire - July 21st, 2021
- 7 Billion Humans finally arrives on Android | Articles - Pocket Gamer - July 21st, 2021
- Do 2.7 billion gamers around the world hold the key to solving climate change? - Illinoisnewstoday.com - July 21st, 2021
- Skyward Sword HD Proves That Future Zelda Games Need Traditional Dungeons - Den of Geek - July 21st, 2021
- Five Games to Play While You Wait for Breath of the Wild 2 - The New York Times - July 21st, 2021
- ITALY. Land of Wonders lets you discover the cultural heritage of the country via puzzles, out now on iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - July 21st, 2021
- miHoYo's Tears of Themis is Releasing July 29th for Mobile and Android - Goomba Stomp - July 21st, 2021
- Heres The Lowdown On That Kick-Ass 2.5D Cyberpunk Game - Kotaku - July 21st, 2021
- Arcsmith is a Quirky VR Puzzle Game from Thomas Was Alone Studio, Coming to Quest in July - Road to VR - July 7th, 2021
- Cat Detective Mimo and the Case of the Increasingly Meta Bank Heist - Alternate Reality Gaming Network - July 7th, 2021
- Solve Puzzles and Escape a Horrifying Mansion in The Tartarus Key - The Nerd Stash - July 7th, 2021
- Imagine that quest in Oblivion where you get stuck in a painting, but it's a whole puzzle game now - Rock Paper Shotgun - July 7th, 2021
- Xbox Cloud Gaming Is The Future, But Its Not There Yet - Kotaku - July 7th, 2021
- 30 Steam Games All Less Than $25 To Amuse Yourself With - PC Perspective - July 7th, 2021
- 'The Spectrum Retreat' Free On Epic Games Store, 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead' and 'Ironcast' Next Week - WorthPlaying.com - July 7th, 2021
- PlayStation Now Games Release Tomorrow And They Look Great - Pure PlayStation - July 7th, 2021
- A Tale Of Synapse: The Chaos Theories Review Pretty But Uneven Puzzles - News Nation USA - July 7th, 2021
- We're Open: Out of the Box includes unique games, puzzles, and toys - Fox17 - June 24th, 2021
- Seriously Addictive Mobile Games That Will Help You Kill Time - YouBeauty - June 24th, 2021
- Myst VR remake confirmed for release in Q3 2021 - NME - June 24th, 2021
- I Turned to Jigsaw Puzzles When My World Fell Apart - The New York Times - June 24th, 2021
- The Brilliant Puzzler 'Baba Is You' from Hempuli Just Released on iOS and Android with over 200 Levels Included - Touch Arcade - June 24th, 2021
- The Best N64 Games of All Time - Your Money Geek - June 24th, 2021
- The best video games of 2021 so far - The Guardian - June 24th, 2021
- Every Major Upcoming Aussie Indie Game You Should Keep An Eye On - Kotaku Australia - June 24th, 2021
- 35 Indie Games That Really Want Your Attention - Kotaku - June 24th, 2021
- Ticket to Ride: Track Switcher Is a Logic Puzzle Game for Kids and Adults - SuperParent - June 8th, 2021
- PlayStation Talent reveals 21 new indie titles ahead of E3 - NME.com - June 8th, 2021
- Tetris Effect Celebrates the Puzzler's Anniversary and Origin with Awesome Secret Stage - Push Square - June 8th, 2021
- Review: Bunny Factory - Movies Games and Tech - June 8th, 2021
- Universal Studios Japan has reopened to the public - Nintendo Wire - June 8th, 2021
- Eight awesome indie PC games you shouldnt miss this June - PCGamesN - June 8th, 2021
- Guerrilla Collective 2021 Day 1: All the Games Announced and Unveiled - TechnoSports - June 8th, 2021
- Unsigned: Finding the things we've lost in ourselves in Love A Puzzle Box filled with Stories | Business News - MCV/Develop - June 8th, 2021
- Fire Tonight brings heartfelt narrative puzzling to Switch, PC in August - Nintendo Enthusiast - June 8th, 2021
- Trenga Unlimited Is Rather Limited XSX Review But Why Tho? - But Why Tho? A Geek Community - May 27th, 2021
- 14 of the best hidden gems on Xbox Game Pass - The Guardian - May 27th, 2021
- Mondoku is a colorful number puzzle game that will be released on Android and iOS in the near future. - Gaming News - BollyInside - May 27th, 2021
- All You Need to Know Before Developing an Android Game App - TechBullion - May 27th, 2021
- New games coming to Xbox Game Pass this May include Knockout City and Maneater - PinkNews - May 27th, 2021
- Digital music festival Save & Sound kicks off this weekend with sales on Steam - Gamasutra - May 27th, 2021
- How to play Android games on your PC with BlueStacks - Android Central - May 27th, 2021
- Want To Make Your Kids Gaming Session Productive? Play These Educational Games - IWMBuzz - May 27th, 2021
- Word games for kids: Enhance your kid's creativity and learning - Times of India - May 27th, 2021
- Relive Your Childhood with the Best SNES Games - Your Money Geek - May 27th, 2021
- Portal Movie Revealed to be In Active Development - EsportsTalk - May 27th, 2021
- Maneater and Knockout City are among the Xbox Game Pass games available in May - Gaming News - BollyInside - May 27th, 2021
- The Chronos Principle is a minimalist puzzle game coming this week for iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - May 15th, 2021
- Pokemon Games Never Change: For True Evolution, Play the Spin-Offs - PCMag - May 15th, 2021
- Game reviews: Resident Evil Village, New Pokemon Snap, Hood: Outlaws & Legends and Simon's Cat put to the test - Wales Online - May 15th, 2021
- NEO: The World Ends With You Hints at the Return of Another Old Friend - IGN Nordic - May 15th, 2021
- Exploring the Discourse on Wholesome Games - TechRaptor - May 15th, 2021
- What Are Some Underrated Games You Love That Nobody Talks About? - Kotaku Australia - May 15th, 2021
- New Pokemon Snap Successfully Modernizes the Classic N64 Formula - Den of Geek - May 15th, 2021
- New VR Games May 2021: All The Biggest Releases - UploadVR - May 3rd, 2021
- The Easiest Way to Boost Your Gamerscore with New Games and Xbox Game Pass Additions from April 2021 - TheXboxHub - May 3rd, 2021
- New Pokemon Snap Is Missing One Major Type of Puzzle From the Original Pokemon Snap - ComicBook.com - May 3rd, 2021
- Out of Line Hands-on Preview - Welcome to the Machine - COGconnected - May 3rd, 2021
- Solving puzzles as a spy duo in Operation: Tango is fun, but it needs to up the suspense - PC Gamer - May 3rd, 2021
- Outer Worlds DLC teased in a series of cryptic tweets - NME.com - May 3rd, 2021
- Ubisoft Switch Sale Has Deals On Everything From Assassin's Creed To Rayman - GameSpot - May 3rd, 2021
- Tweens and Teens for Mother's Day - Portsmouth Daily Times - May 3rd, 2021
- Puzzling Places to Launch on Oculus Quest Store This Fall - Road to VR - April 18th, 2021
- Eastern Illinois AD part of committee working on FCS playoff puzzle - ChicagoNow - April 18th, 2021
- Puzzle Bobble VR: Vacation Odyssey Will Arrive in May - Siliconera - April 18th, 2021
- Demonoid Allows You To Play Free Games Online on Web - Fortune India - April 18th, 2021
- 'Oxenfree II: Lost Signals' headlines a new crop of Switch indie games - Engadget - April 18th, 2021
- The Electronic Wireless Show Podcast episode 136: the best weather in games special - Rock Paper Shotgun - April 18th, 2021
- Kinda Funnys Blessing Jr. Does an Entire Episode of The Blessing Show From Within Dreams - PlayStation LifeStyle - April 18th, 2021
- 14 free apps and games for Android for a limited time | Technology Explica .co - Explica - April 18th, 2021
- 11 new Android games from the last week: The best, worst, and everything in between (3/29/21 - 4/4/21) - Android Police - April 4th, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 4th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Dungeon & Puzzles', 'Stick Fight: The Game', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - April 4th, 2021
- The Three Best and Worst Games of March 2021 - COGconnected - April 4th, 2021
- Google Play Pass now has over 800 games, apps - HT Tech - April 4th, 2021
- The Easiest Ways to Boost Your Gamerscore from the Xbox Games of March 2021 - TheXboxHub - April 4th, 2021
- Game of the Month: March 2021's Best PS5, PS4 Games - Pure PlayStation - April 4th, 2021
- This Weeks VR Game Roundup: New Archery Game, Kitchen Island VR - VR Fitness Insider - April 4th, 2021