Shooters are one of the most popular genres in video game history, ranging from FPS titles such asCall of Duty to third-person shooters likeThe Division. These games typically have campaigns and multiplayer components to keep gamers busy for hundreds of hours.
RELATED: 5 FPS Mechanics That Changed The Genre (& 5 That Are Outdated)
Most campaigns in this genre are either too long or too short, however. Based on the subgenre, these games can last from a couple of hours to hundreds. A game's length doesn't mean it's bad, however. Each game on this list is fantastic and worth experiencing, but it's not because of its length. Here are 5 shooters that are either really short or too long. This list will not include live service games such asDestiny orThe Division, as these games can be played infinitely.
One of the best sequels ever made for a franchise,Halo 2 upped the ante in every conceivable way except the campaign's length.
Halo 2's campaign takes anywhere from 6 to 10 hours based on difficulty and skill, which sounds great compared to other shooters at the time. The issue is that the game abruptly ends on one of the most unsatisfying and controversial cliffhangers of all time, done likely because Bungie ran out of time duringHalo 2's legendarily crunch-heavydevelopment cycle.
Ubisoft games are known for their large open worlds and checklist-style sandbox design. They're fun to play the first few times, but this style of game gets fatiguing fast.
No Ubisoft shooter suffered from this worse thanFar Cry 4. After the well-receivedFar Cry 3 andBlood Dragon standalone expansion,Far Cry 4 made little innovations to the series. Besides co-op and a few new skills, this wasFar Cry 3with a new settingand players felt every second of its recycled gameplay loop.
Tactical shooters andStar Wars should go as well as oil and water, yetStar Wars Republic Commandoproves otherwise.
RELATED: 10 Best Star Wars Games Without Lightsabers
This FPS title puts players in the shoes of Delta-38, otherwise known as Boss. You command a squad of Republic Commandos and complete covert missions for the Republic, ranging from fighting the Separatists on Geonosis to investigating an abandoned Republic Cruiser. Sadly, the game's campaign is around 6 hours long and ends on a cliffhanger. The game is certainly worth experiencing, but don't expectRepublic Commandoto last longer than an afternoon.
Deus Ex is one of the most influential games to ever release. Its open-ended levels and choices made it an instant PC classic. Eidos-Montral rebooted the series withDeus Ex: Human Revolution to capture the spirit of the original.
It did well enough to warrant a sequel, but this sequel is both too short and too long.Deus Ex: Mankind Divided takes place in one hub town instead of the typical two or three of the past. Its main story can be beaten in as short as 12 hours, but completing the game's side content can take upwards of 50 hours. The game builds up to an epic conspiracy in typicalDeus Ex fashion, but the game's reliance on side missions to deliver this compelling narrative makes the game feel much longer than past entriesand not in a good way.
Fans ofTitanfall frequently criticized the first game for its lack of a single-player campaign.Titanfall 2 fixed this by adding a fantastic, albeit short campaign.
Most FPS veterans will complete this campaign in an afternoon, with playthroughs ranging from 4 to 6 hours. Don't let the short length dissuade you from trying it, though.Titanfall 2 delivers one of the best single-player experiences sinceHalf-Life 2. It's just a shame the campaign is so short.
To reiterate, games that are too long are not necessarily bad.Borderlands 2 is one of the best looter shooters ever made, filled with dozens of post-launch content and updates.
That'sBorderlands 2's issue, though. The breadth of content this game provides can feel detrimental at times with how many directions the game is pulling you in. Its main campaign is the perfect length, but playing through this game on various OP levels and going through the DLC on each new game plus difficulty can feel exhausting for all but the most diehard of fans. If you don't mind having this much content to try,Borderlands 2 is one of the best looters on the market.
Jokes about how "SUPERHOT is the most innovative shooter I've played in years!" aside,SUPERHOT is a fantastic single-player FPS that takes a few hours to beat.
SUPERHOT's campaign takes around 2 to 4 hours to beat, potentially under an hour once you master the game's central mechanics. Thankfully, extra modes and challenges exist to keep players engaged past the main campaign. Still, the short length ofSUPERHOT is the game's only issue.
MostFalloutentries take a long time to beat. This is thanks to the excellent use of dialogue, exploration, and gameplay in each of the main entries.
RELATED: Fallout: 10 Facts You Didn't Know About The Franchise
Fallout 4 makes many experimental changes to the franchise that many hardcore fans loathed. Replacing the iconic dialogue system was a 4 choice wheel and an extensive crafting system that players could spend hundreds of hours in. This has resulted inFallout 4 taking anywhere from 25 hours to complete to a few hundred. Bethesda games aren't privy to long playthroughs, butFallout 4's feels much longer than the rest since the crafting components overshadowed the core RPG systems the series was known for.
This is somewhat cheating asPortal is a puzzle game first, butPortal is still an FPS based around completing levels by shooting things. Instead of unloading lead into bad guys, you fire portals to traverse test chambers.
Portal is a masterful game in its mechanics and pacing, starting slow and building up to a climactic finale. With that said, this game is easily beatable after 3 hours. If you know the mechanics ofPortal, that can be reduced to as little as under an hour!Portal 2 would go on to fix this with a much longer campaign and co-op missions, but that doesn't change the factPortal is one of the shortest FPS games ever made. It works to the game's favor, but it wouldn't have hurt ifPortal had a few more test chambers, either.
Compared to the other entries on this list,Serious Sam 2 is much shorter than you'd expect. Taking anywhere from 14 to 20 hours to beat.
Thing is, this game is a linear arena shooter that has 42 levels. Each level is a fully-fledged mission with a new map, objectives, and enemies. These levels take around 15 minutes to beat as well, which makes this game feel closer to an 80-hour adventure when you finish it than 20 hours. It's a fun FPS arena shooter that hardcoreSerious Sam fans will enjoy, but the number of levels inSerious Sam 2 makes it feel longer than games likeThe Witcher 3.
NEXT: 10 Short (But Exciting) Action Games Worth Playing
Next Final Fantasy 7: 10 Secrets That Took Fans Years To Find
Charles Burgar is an expert on all things tech and gaming. Graduating from Pikes Peak Community College in 2018 with an Associate of Science, Charles has spent his time dissecting popular video games, movies, and technology. With an understanding of games for as long as he can remember, Charles has a large interest in understanding what makes things fun. He is currently a Freelance writer for TheGamer and Game Rant.
See the original post:
5 Shooters That Are Really Short (& 5 That Take way Too Long) - TheGamer
- The 24 best video games of all time - Mashable - July 3rd, 2020
- Another Professor Layton puzzle-adventure is coming to iOS this month - Cult of Mac - July 3rd, 2020
- The Witcher: Top 10 Hardest Puzzles From The Games | Game Rant - GameRant - July 3rd, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Animal Crossing: New Horizons' Update is Available, 'Clash Force' and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - July 3rd, 2020
- These 10+ Games Are Coming To Xbox One Next Week (July 7-10) - Pure Xbox - July 3rd, 2020
- Q&A: About the upcoming print and e-paper edition changes at the West Central Tribune - West Central Tribune - July 3rd, 2020
- The 9 worst scientists in PC games - Rock Paper Shotgun - July 3rd, 2020
- Creaks, a trippy 2D puzzle game, arrives on PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC in July - Daily Star - July 3rd, 2020
- The recursive world simulation & puzzle-making process in Maquette - PlayStation.Blog - July 3rd, 2020
- Maquette Will Bring Mind-Bendingly Clever Recursive Puzzles To PS5, PS4, And PC This Year - GameSpot - July 3rd, 2020
- How citizen scientists and video games are taking on Covid-19 - RTE.ie - July 3rd, 2020
- Felix The Reaper Comes To Life on iOS - GameSpace.com - July 3rd, 2020
- Turok and Grip highlight free games for Twitch Prime members this July - PC Invasion - July 3rd, 2020
- Incredibly Innovative Puzzle Game Carto Comes To PS4 This Fall - PlayStation Universe - July 1st, 2020
- This Doctor Who Sliding Puzzle Game Is Driving Me Insane and I Can't Stop Playing It - Gizmodo - July 1st, 2020
- Made in the USSR: 6 video games Soviets went crazy over - Russia Beyond - July 1st, 2020
- Adventure/puzzle game 'Carto' heading to Switch - GoNintendo - July 1st, 2020
- 10 Fantastic Disney Games From The 16-Bit Era | TheGamer - TheGamer - July 1st, 2020
- Top 10 Addictive Games That Can Help You Cure Boredom at the Workplace - ThisisXbox - July 1st, 2020
- With dinnertime singing and 1,000-piece puzzles, the Portland Thorns are settling into the bubble before faci - OregonLive - July 1st, 2020
- Games to Watch Out For This July GameSpew - GameSpew - June 30th, 2020
- Shelter Tails: Whoever adopts Hank will need a sense of humor - Times Herald-Record - June 30th, 2020
- Apple just unveiled its picks of the best iPad and iPhone apps of the year - here they are - TechRadar - June 30th, 2020
- Doctor Who fans are losing their minds over the new Thirteen Doctors game - RadioTimes - June 30th, 2020
- THOSE WHO REMAIN Review: Fear Of The Dark And Heavy Decisions - GameTyrant - June 30th, 2020
- Five new Steam games you probably missed (June 29, 2020) - PC Gamer - June 29th, 2020
- The Almost Gone Review - New Game Network - June 29th, 2020
- Power-Ups - The New York Times - June 29th, 2020
- United Fresh LIVE! Badge, Puzzle and Trivia winners announced - FreshPlaza.com - June 29th, 2020
- Review: Neversong's Moody Nightmare World Doesn't Strike the Right Chords - thirdcoastreview.com - June 29th, 2020
- How Xbox Series X Game Call Of The Sea Uses The Console's Power - GameSpot - June 29th, 2020
- The best new Android and iOS apps you should download this week - AndroidPIT - June 28th, 2020
- Nintendo Switch free games news: Two unmissable free downloads have just hit the eShop - Express - June 28th, 2020
- Apple Arcade needs games made with iPads in mind - heres why - TechRadar - June 28th, 2020
- Here's what we played during the Steam Game Festival Part 2 - GTOGG - June 28th, 2020
- Here are the discussions you missed in the PC Gamer forums this week - PC Gamer - June 28th, 2020
- Puzzler Superliminal Releasing July 7th - Pure PlayStation - June 26th, 2020
- THE ALMOST GONE Review: An Intriguing Puzzle Game With A Haunting Tale - GameTyrant - June 26th, 2020
- The Almost Gone review dreamlike puzzles unlock a world of dark unease - The Guardian - June 26th, 2020
- Urban Flow is coming tomorrow, 26th of June! - GamingLyfe Network - June 26th, 2020
- European eShop releases for the week of June 25th, 2020 - GoNintendo - June 26th, 2020
- Uncover the truth behind the dioramas of The Almost Gone , now available! - Gamasutra - June 26th, 2020
- Blair Witch, Mr. DRILLER DrillLand, Ninjala, Duke Nukem 3D, and SpongeBob Rehydrated hit the Switch - Games Asylum - June 26th, 2020
- Garden Story pushes its harvest back to 2021 - Shacknews - June 26th, 2020
- Dr. Mario World Introduces Dr Baby Wario, And We're Not Sure If He's Cute Or Not - GameSpot - June 24th, 2020
- An Ode to The End - SUPERJUMP - Medium - June 24th, 2020
- Indie Spotlight: Why KO_OP believes Apple Arcade is the perfect introduction for non-gamers - Pocket Gamer.Biz - June 24th, 2020
- Gotta drink up! Heres the official Sonic energy drink - Thumbsticks - June 24th, 2020
- Ever Forward is coming to Switch at the end of the year - Videogamer.com - June 24th, 2020
- The 10 Best Tetris Video Games Of All Time | Game Rant - GameRant - June 24th, 2020
- Five new games to play on your mobile this summer - The Upcoming - June 23rd, 2020
- 'Circulous', the Semi-Sequel to 'The Company Game' from Teenage Developer Chain Reaction Games, Now Available for Pre-Order - Touch Arcade - June 23rd, 2020
- Ever Forward by Pathea Games is Coming to Nintendo Switch - Gamasutra - June 23rd, 2020
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV Western Release on PlayStation 4 Set for October 27, PC and Switch in 2021 - Niche Gamer - June 23rd, 2020
- Time travel puzzle game The Great Perhaps coming to PS4, Xbox One, and Switch on July 10 - Gematsu - June 23rd, 2020
- The Last of Us Part 2 Review: A Brutally Heartfelt Masterpiece - KeenGamer News - June 23rd, 2020
- New Catherine: Full Body Switch Trailer Revealed at New Game Plus Expo - GameRant - June 23rd, 2020
- CLASS IN SESSION! MYSTERIOUS PUZZLE ADVENTURE GAME THE ACADEMY: THE FIRST RIDDLE UNVEILS ITS SECRETS TODAY - Gamasutra - June 22nd, 2020
- The World Video Game Hall of Fame 2020 inductees have been announced - My Nintendo News - June 22nd, 2020
- Page A4 | E-Edition | thetandd.com - The Times and Democrat - June 22nd, 2020
- 10 PS4 Games That Are Harder Than Dark Souls | Game Rant - GameRant - June 22nd, 2020
- Lots of us adopted dogs in quarantine: 'Dog Whisperer' Csar Milln has some tips - Greater Milwaukee Today - June 22nd, 2020
- Protagonists, Puzzles and Ports: An Interview With Ever Forward's Producer - GameSpew - June 22nd, 2020
- Picture Puzzle Market Share, Growth, Statistics, By Application, Production, Revenue & Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- The best retro games and PS4 remasters on sale - Explica - June 22nd, 2020
- Games of the week Skelattack, Maneater, Potata: Fairy Flower and SpongeBob: Patty Pursuit - Inverness Courier - June 22nd, 2020
- Solution to Riddle of the Week: The Pickleball Puzzle - Yahoo News - June 21st, 2020
- This is the first prescription video game for treating ADHD in kids - The Indian Express - June 21st, 2020
- What's something about games you didn't mind as a kid but can't stand now? - PC Gamer - June 21st, 2020
- How to Solve The Secret Silent Hill Clock Tower Puzzle in Dead by Daylight - Screen Rant - June 19th, 2020
- 15 must-try demos from the Steam Summer Game Festival - PCWorld - June 19th, 2020
- Augmented Reality Mobile Games Market to See Massive Growth by 2025 | Niantic, Sony, Six to Start - 3rd Watch News - June 19th, 2020
- Rising SEA Woven Is a Free Collection of Mini-Games Celebrating Southeast Asian Culture - The Escapist - June 19th, 2020
- Pokmon Caf Mix is an absolutely adorable puzzle game for Switch and mobile - The Verge - June 18th, 2020
- App Army Assemble: Reky - Is this Bauhaus-inspired puzzler a must-buy on mobile? - Pocket Gamer - June 18th, 2020
- Play This, Not That: The Last of Us Part II - SuperParent - June 17th, 2020
- Download over 900 demos in the Steam Summer Game Festival - AllGamers - June 17th, 2020
- Stockholm-based Stillfront lands 114 million to expand its global group of gaming studios - EU-Startups - June 17th, 2020
- 'Kosmokrats' Puts Starship-Building in the Hands of a Potato Peeler - Indie Games Plus - June 17th, 2020
- Copy Cats - The New York Times - June 17th, 2020