Many video games fall in and out of the spotlight within the gaming community. Some games that gain virality are great, while others are a bit silly.
Many games fall in and out of the spotlight of the gaming community over and over again. A decade ago, mobile games were all the rage, everyone would hop on the Temple Run and Flappy Bird bandwagon, playing those games and seeing how far they each got. But now, especially with the rising popularity of Twitch and game streamers all over the world, viral games seem to pack an extra hard punch.
RELATED: 10 Best Horror Movies To Watch If You Like To Play Among Us
Players will immediately know what games are viral based on media. They'll see all their favorite streamers playing it, hear their friends talk about it, and may even see memes of the game floating around the internet. But just because a game goes viral, doesn't necessarily mean it's good. A lot of the time, a game's stupidity in concept and execution is exactly why they go viral in the first place.
Among Us is a great example of a successfully done viral game. This game is still trending even though it was initially released in 2018. It became a viral sensation during the COVID-19 quarantine and has remained extremely relevant to all. This game is like a Mafia or Werewolf type game.
There are one to three imposters in a crew of spacemen, and it is up to the players to figure out who the imposter is before getting killed. It is an excellent party game and extremely fun to play with friends. Not to mention, a ton of big-name streamers are still actively playing it and have collaborated with other streamers and celebrities to make it the ultimate viral game.
Fall Guys was easily one of the most popular games for a hot minute when quarantine was just starting out, but after its month in the sun, it seemed to fall from grace at a rapid descent. This game was another party game that had a number of people competing against each other to be the only jelly bean character standing at the end of the obstacle courses.
It was a super fun concept, and a lot of streamers still play it, but it definitely isn't viral any longer. Looking back, this game was kind of just a repeat of the Mario Party-style games and seemingly got old pretty quick.
Untitled Goose Game was immediately viral upon release due to its hilarious (and adorable) theme. Gamers play as a menacing goose who terrorizes a neighborhood filled with people. The goose steals items, peck villagers, and causes total chaos throughout the small town, all to take a bell from the miniature replica of the town that also acts as the villagers' prized possession.
RELATED: 10 Mystery Films To Watch If You Like Playing Among Us
The player is given a daily to-do list for the goose with a list of puzzles. The player must figure out how to a menacing goose in order to solve each puzzle and advance to the next stage.
The first SCP game, SCP: Containment Breach, was a huge hit for horror fans all over the world. It had an extremely similar theme to the cult classic game, Slenderman, with a bit of a twist. SCPs are very similar to Creepypastas. They tell short stories about haunted artifacts located in a [redacted] facility. Containment Breach focuses on one of the most horrific SCPs there is one that you have to keep eye contact with in order to escape from.
But the game also features a wide number of other SCPs floating around, threatening to kill. In Secret Laboratory, one player gets chosen as a random SCP and is sent around the map to kill the other players. This game sounds amazing in its description, but its execution leaves more confusion than fun. It's an open world, so trolls can seemingly pop in at any time to create chaos, and players need a rather large group in order to make it actually fun without just getting lost.
Phasmophobia is a newer survival horror game that was released in September of this year under early access. The game is made for four players to act as ghost hunters and investigate haunted houses and facilities, using different ghost hunting equipment such as EMF readers and Spirit Boxes.
Phasmophobia is also made to be a VR game, giving VR players a different and deeper involvement in the game. This horror game is sometimes terrifying but always fun and has become a viral success in the gaming world.
Human: Fall Flat is a platform puzzle game where players walk around and maneuver as extremely noodly characters. This game became pretty trendy as it was incredibly popular to play with other people. Human: Fall Flat doesn't really work out as well in single-player mode, but the moment a friend joins it becomes incredibly silly and fun.
The main reason this game falls under "stupid" when looking back is due to the fact that its mechanics and gameplay are so silly and, well, stupid, but as mentioned, sometimes stupidity equals fun as well. This game, however, doesn't have the most replayability. Once you solve the puzzles, it gets old really fast.
Pokmon GO was one of the most viral games to create a massive uproar in the community. In fact, Pokmon GO probably was the last biggest game to come out with that kind of trend before Among Us hit the spotlight. This game's effect on the gaming (and non-gaming) community was pretty amazing.
RELATED: 15 Fan Favorite Pokmon You Won't Find In Pokmon Go (Yet)
Pokmon GO drove people out of their houses and made people become way more active than they were before. Players would go on walks just to collect new pokmon or hit up some Pokstops or go to places with a great number of people. This game created a strange phenomenon for people around the world, as more and more players were getting up and out of their house, interacting and meeting new people based on their shared interest in the game, and even effecting local business who created deals based on the game and its success.
Jump King released in 2019 and became wildly popular due to the addictive nature of the game. The concept of Jump King is a little dumb but definitely feeds into the "self-torture" elements that many gamers seem to become obsessed with. The game is a climbing-platformer that is extremely difficult.
Players play as a King who has a set number of different jump lengths and heights based on how long the player holds the space button. The player must rise to the top of the tower, but there is not progression saves, so each jump could lead to the player falling all the way back down to the very beginning of the game. While addictive, this game definitely has a ton of room for some raging.
One of the most popular viral games in history was a game that still manages to be relevant even today, Minecraft. Some may argue that Minecraft isn't a viral game, but it is probably the most viral game in existence.
Everyone has heard of this game, and it seems like it still goes through massive phases where it is in the limelight of the gaming community once again. Minecraft can be single or multiplayer which leaves room for some pretty fun gameplay and wild creations.
Getting Over It was another trendy viral game that was and looked utterly stupid. However, it was also pretty hilarious. This platformer forces players to play a character named Diogenes who, like his namesake, resides in a giant metal cauldron. He wields a giant hammer in order to attach himself to different items in his environment as the players attempt to climb and move around the steep mountain.
This game even has really weird (and cringy) motivational quotes said by the creator of the game each time the player dies. This game tries to be philosophical as you play a man in a giant pot. It was definitely made to be stupid.
NEXT: Tired of Among Us? Play These Popular Google Doodle Games Instead
Next Street Fighter: 10 Things About Ryu That Make No Sense
Juliana Failde is a writer for CBR, Screen Rant, and the Sartorial Geek. She is a writer and podcaster and has been published in the Spring 2019 and Sumer 2020 editions of the Sartorial Geek Quarterly Magazine.
- The R of R.B.G. - The New York Times - December 1st, 2020
- Five new Steam games you probably missed (November 30, 2020) - PC Gamer - December 1st, 2020
- Starry Garden: Collect Constellations and Adorable Animals - TechAcute - November 29th, 2020
- Every Xbox Series X Launch Game Ranked from Worst To Best (According To Metacritic) - GameRant - November 29th, 2020
- Games with Gold: Gat out of Hell, The Raven Set Their Sights on Xbox Series X Owners - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 27th, 2020
- 9 Online Puzzles That Will Give Your Brain a Workout - Study Breaks - November 27th, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Girabox', 'More Dark', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - November 27th, 2020
- Itch.io's Black Friday sale has Among Us and loads of indie goodies - Rock Paper Shotgun - November 27th, 2020
- The Legend of Bum-bo emerges from the sewer after a very difficult year - PCGamesN - November 27th, 2020
- Global Games and Puzzles Market 2020 to Witness Splendid Growth by 2027: Trefl SA, Springbok Puzzles, Eurographics, Inc., Ravensburger AG, Heye Puzzle... - November 27th, 2020
- Ten Puzzle Games You Must Have Played - Gameindustry.com - GameIndustry.com - November 26th, 2020
- Cook up a storm with this feast of games - Nintendo - November 26th, 2020
- Babe in the Woods - The New York Times - November 26th, 2020
- 'Spirit Of The North Enhanced Edition' Review: An Ethereal Escape - Electric Bento - November 26th, 2020
- Bored Of Playing Multiplayer Games? 7 Alternatives For You To Try - Our Culture - Our Culture Mag - November 26th, 2020
- 5 Memorable Viral Video Games (& 5 That Were Overhyped) - FandomWire - November 26th, 2020
- Home for the Holidays - toys and games | Holiday | unionleader.com - The Union Leader - November 26th, 2020
- First-Person Games vs. Third-Person Games: What Are the Differences? - MakeUseOf - November 26th, 2020
- Local Toy Store Thrive Amid Pandemic's Return To Board Games, Chess And Card Collecting - Rockland County Business Journal - November 26th, 2020
- Conferences join forces on virus testing procedures for refs - The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - November 25th, 2020
- Xbox Live Games with Gold reveals final batch of games for 2020 - SlashGear - November 25th, 2020
- Buffalo Games adds pieces to its puzzle through two deals - Buffalo News - November 25th, 2020
- Satisfying Puzzles And Tunes Make 'Carto' Perfect On The Switch - UPROXX - November 25th, 2020
- Best new mobile games on iOS and Android - November 2020 round-up - Metro.co.uk - November 25th, 2020
- Everyone Has Gone Missing In Point And Click Tiny Room Stories: Town Mystery - TheGamer - November 25th, 2020
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War review: a game as bloated and overwhelming as its name - The Verge - November 25th, 2020
- United Way of Berks County guide has ways you can volunteer or give gifts this holiday season - The Mercury - November 25th, 2020
- The Best PSP Games of All Time - Best gaming pro - November 25th, 2020
- The Latest Games To Play In Indonesia & Win - Inside Pulse - November 25th, 2020
- We reviewed (nearly) every game out now for the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X - The A.V. Club - November 25th, 2020
- Tristan Thompson is the missing piece to the Boston Celtics championship puzzle - NBA IN - November 25th, 2020
- More Dark Is A Puzzle-Platformer 'Intended For Adults', And It Launches On Switch This Week - Nintendo Life - November 25th, 2020
- STAFF OPINION: Hop in, loser. We're warping our sense of reality - The Beacon - November 23rd, 2020
- Rez and Tetris Effect Producer Tetsuya Mizuguchi Working on a "New Adventure with Synesthesia" with Enhance Games - Niche Gamer - November 23rd, 2020
- Mourinho: When the puzzle around him is perfect, Kane is fantastic - AS English - November 23rd, 2020
- Quick Trip to a Store and Back - The New York Times - November 23rd, 2020
- 10 Holiday Gifts to Give Any Game of Thrones Fans Missing the Show - Winter is Coming - November 23rd, 2020
- 'Call of Duty Mobile' & 'Among Us' Will Fight For The Title of Best Mobile Game 2020 - Digital Information World - November 23rd, 2020
- The Greatest Google Stadia Video games for 2020 - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - November 23rd, 2020
- Impact of Covid 19 On Augmented Reality Gaming Market 2020 Industry Challenges Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 - The Market Feed - November 23rd, 2020
- Everything Else Leaked in the Capcom Hack | Game Rant - GameRant - November 23rd, 2020
- TouchArcade Game of the Week: 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead' - Touch Arcade - November 21st, 2020
- Tetris movie officially in the works, will star Rocketman's Taron Egerton - Destructoid - November 21st, 2020
- 3 Of The Hottest Video Games Dropping In December 2020 - Gstyle magazine - November 21st, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity', 'Micetopia', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - November 21st, 2020
- Behind the mask: A chat with the developers of Maskmaker - Blogdottv - November 21st, 2020
- The 30 best iPad games you need to play - The DHT News - November 21st, 2020
- Review: Microsofts new Xbox consoles are powerful and speedy, but are they necessary? - The Dallas Morning News - November 21st, 2020
- Can You Pass The Cranberry Sauce? - FiveThirtyEight - November 21st, 2020
- How a Solo Indie Developer Built the Best Rated Game on Oculus Quest - Road to VR - November 19th, 2020
- DREAMO, A LOVE LETTER TO THE NARRATIVE PUZZLE GENRE - Gamasutra - November 19th, 2020
- Blair Witch: Experience the Horror of the Movie By...Solving Puzzles? - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 19th, 2020
- Out Now: 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead', 'The First Tree', 'Moonlighter', 'One Night at Flumpty's', 'Tomb Toad', 'DeLight: The Journey Home',... - November 19th, 2020
- Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door are free on the Epic Games Store this week - Neowin - November 19th, 2020
- The Pathless review: The joy of the unknown | Entertainment - UT Daily Beacon - November 19th, 2020
- Every PS5 launch game ranked worst to best - Looper - November 19th, 2020
- Call of the Sea sets sail in December - Gamesradar - November 19th, 2020
- 'When the Past was Around' confirmed for launch on Switch / PlayStation and Xbox mid-December 2020 - Gamasutra - November 19th, 2020
- 'Myst' (yes, that 'Myst') is coming back as an Oculus VR game in December - Mashable - November 19th, 2020
- It's Hitman's 20th anniversary, so here are 20 facts about the silly stealth sim - Rock Paper Shotgun - November 19th, 2020
- Xbox head Phil Spencer on video games as a way of life, even for the powerful - CNET - November 18th, 2020
- Agate, Telkom team up for Bali-themed puzzle adventure game - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - November 18th, 2020
- Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 Hands-On Preview (PS4) - Still A Very Good Puzzler At Its Core - PlayStation Universe - November 18th, 2020
- Call of the Sea is an adventure inspired by Lovecraft, but it's no horror game - PC Gamer - November 18th, 2020
- The best family board games - PC Gamer - November 18th, 2020
- Here Are The Games Coming Out In December 2020 - IGN India - November 18th, 2020
- 10 Puzzle Games That Are Impossible To Beat Without A Guide - GameRant - November 15th, 2020
- Video Games to Relax - The New York Times - November 15th, 2020
- Announcing Light The Fires, an award-winning hypercasual puzzle game - Pocket Gamer - November 15th, 2020
- Telling the Difference Between PS5 and PS4 Games Is Next-Gen's Toughest Puzzle - Push Square - November 15th, 2020
- Why the PS5 and Xbox Series X need to break the video game mold - CNET - November 15th, 2020
- Video Games for Relaxation - The New York Times - Aviation Analysis Wing - November 15th, 2020
- WiiWare's Greatest Hits. A celebration of the indie games of | by Shawn Laib | SUPERJUMP | Nov, 2020 - Medium - November 15th, 2020
- Bugsnax review you are what you eat | Games - The Guardian - November 15th, 2020
- Games And Puzzles Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2027|Trusted Business Insights... - November 15th, 2020
- Arkansas women to be tested early in SEC play - Arkansas Online - November 15th, 2020
- The Xbox Series X and the PS5 need to make video games weird and interesting - CNET - November 11th, 2020
- Game IQ the Gold Standard for game analytics and classification - MobileMarketing Magazine - November 11th, 2020
- The Digital Fix Gaming's Generation Awards: Best Puzzle, Simulation, PSVR, and RPG - The Digital Fix - November 11th, 2020
- Tales of the Neon Sea review - "Stunning but literally puzzling" - Pocket Gamer - November 11th, 2020