Local co-op games seem to be something of a lost art, with the rise of competitive and online multiplayer romps as well as single-player epics. But Ghost Town Games and Team17 proved such a style is not only still fun, but can be a uniquely excitingendeavor. They've done this in the form of theirsurprise hitOvercooked, and its even more beefed-up sequel. The series brings a charming arcade sensibility with its simple mechanics and frantic gameplay.
RELATED:10 Co-Op Games That will Ruin Friendships
At the same time, these games very much do their own thing, with the emphasis on multitasking and collaborating with other players. This has spawned a number of similar efforts though there are also titles predating it, whichring similar in some way. Let's get cooking and take a look at titlesOvercookedfans should love. Some of these will stress cooperative gameplay, but all will hinge on multitasking when it comes to mechanics or objectives.
On the surface, a sidescrolling platformer might seem like a far cry from a cooking-based party romp. Yet, at its core, this colorful game from Space Mace and Graffiti Games isOvercooked-esque inits co-op leanings, rapid pacing, and juggling of multiple tasks.
The name of the game is to sort out the color-coded avatars while chugging along, which corresponds to platforms and other elements. Bringing the right color forwardallows players to progress, while mismatching the colors often leads to a swift death or pitfall.Joggernautsis truly a fun, innovative spin on the puzzler/platformer, especially when coordinating with other players.
LiketheOvercookedgames, this is a similarly-frantic arcade-style sim that will have multiple players fumbling through various tasks.While messing up in Team17's partier only yields angry, hungry customers,Surgeon Simulator 2puts lives on the line. These high stakes, coupled with some precise controls and tricky surgical procedures, makes for a uniquely tense experience.
This sequel to the 2013 sleeper hit ups the ante in terms of depth and difficulty, injecting cooperative gameplay and a story mode that further immerses players. LikeOvercooked, the cartoonyvisuals and animation provide some yuks.
Speaking of humorous gameplay this indie gem from No Brakes Games seemingly fell out of nowhere.Human Fall Flathaslargely flown under the radar even to this day, despite some inventive physics and puzzle-based platforming. Just a brief look at the stumbling, doughy avatars is enough to sense that we'rein for a unique and wild ride here.
Players will team up in groups of stretchy, staggering figures who struggle to even run or jump. Fumbling with the drunken physics proves both challenging and hilarious as players drag, hop, and fall around while messing with platforms and contraptions that trigger the next part of the stage.
This hand-drawn puzzler is a huge departure from the colorfulOvercookedand mostothergames for that matter. Still,the emphasis of multiplayer communication and multitasking here certainly has some overlap.39 Days to Marshas players tinkering with a number of weird, inventive puzzles in order to progress and repair their steampunk ship.
RELATED: The 10 Best Co-Op Games From 10 Different Genres
The campaign is slim, but the "outside the box" thinking and juggling of several tasks ensure there will bemuchtime spent experimenting. Objectives span from controlling a space bicycle to fixing some tea. Like Team17's game,39 Days to Marstruly thrives when collaborating even if it cantechnicallybe played alone.
The Knights of Unity'sTools Up!is to home renovation whatOvercookedis to cooking and baking. Outside the vastly-differentmotifs, the core gameplay rings quite similar to Team17's party game. Though the experience is a bit rough around the edges, scrambling with a friend to move furniture and tear down wallpaper proves surprisingly fun. It's an amusing alternative forOvercookedfans looking to knockout different types of tasks with a friend.
Put the collaborative, multitasking gameplay ofOvercooked&rework it into a cube-centric puzzler, and you might haveDeath Squared. Just as that game has chefs fumbling with various ingredients, this puzzle game forces players to deal with a number of contraptions, electric currents, and deadly robot explosions. Multiple actions and triggers will need to be initiated at once, meaning players will either need to have a friend at the ready or be great atmultitasking.
Much of the excitement ofOvercookedcomes from racing against the ticking clock and completing the job on demand. It's much the same with this evenmoreintense title, which is described as a "party railroad game." That certainly sums it up as Conduct Together!takes the job of navigating trains and adds a chaotically fun twist with its fast-paced arcade gameplay.
Players will be forced to shift from multiple points of interest, as various trains will be chugging along different paths. The goal is to guide each train to their station and pick up commuters, all while evading each other and avoiding crashes.
It wouldn't make sense to have a list discussingOvercooked-esque games and not include a cooking romp, especially one that similarly has players scrambling to complete food orders. Of course, this time cakes alone are the focus, but that doesn't meanCake Maniais any less thrilling or tough far from it!
RELATED: 10 Best Party Video Games of All Time, Ranked
The series began as a Flash-based time management gamein 2006, which eventually become a mobile game, and even saw releases on the Wii and PS2. Still, it's hard to beat the charm of the original, which manages to be both addictiveand accessible.
Holding parallels to the similarTools Up!, this Team17-published game also takes a typically laborious job and turns it into a fun, thrilling endeavor. Described as a "moving simulator," Moving Outputs an arcade-style spin on the task of hauling furniture with its cartoony visuals and fast-paced gameplay.
Players will work together on a single isometric screen to drag various items and furniture around, compiling them into a moving truck. Speed and maneuverability are stressed over strategy though the mechanics, style, and thrilling co-op gameplay definitely invokeOvercookedvibes.
Those few who have discovered this hidden gem have often called it "Overcookedin space," and to a degree, this is true. Though this 2018 romp from Inertia Game Studiosshines like a star with its own unique charm. Rather than whipping up meals, up to 4 players will man a spaceship, working to keep it running smoothly and ward off attacks.
This means arming torpedoes, evading solar flairs, and extinguish fires in a manner very much like Team17's game.Catastronautsespecially feels like the more chaoticOvercooked 2with its dynamic settings and thrilling action happening around the players.
NEXT: 11 Best Local Multiplayer Games for Nintendo Switch
Next Among Us: 10 Pro Tips For Playing Impostor
Stephen is an avid Nintendo, Indie, and retro gamer who dabbles in Xbox on occasion, mainly in the form of binge sessions of Overwatch. He's a history buff, an aspiring writer of short fiction, and a devout metalhead who enjoys poorly drumming along to Black Sabbath on his cheap drum set. When his beloved Chicago Cubs or Bulls are not playing, he typically likes to watch random documentaries or campy horror films.
See the original post:
10 Great Multitasking Games Similar To Overcooked | Game Rant - GameRant
- STAFF OPINION: Hop in, loser. We're warping our sense of reality - The Beacon - November 23rd, 2020
- Rez and Tetris Effect Producer Tetsuya Mizuguchi Working on a "New Adventure with Synesthesia" with Enhance Games - Niche Gamer - November 23rd, 2020
- Mourinho: When the puzzle around him is perfect, Kane is fantastic - AS English - November 23rd, 2020
- Quick Trip to a Store and Back - The New York Times - November 23rd, 2020
- 10 Holiday Gifts to Give Any Game of Thrones Fans Missing the Show - Winter is Coming - November 23rd, 2020
- 'Call of Duty Mobile' & 'Among Us' Will Fight For The Title of Best Mobile Game 2020 - Digital Information World - November 23rd, 2020
- The Greatest Google Stadia Video games for 2020 - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - November 23rd, 2020
- Impact of Covid 19 On Augmented Reality Gaming Market 2020 Industry Challenges Business Overview And Forecast Research Study 2026 - The Market Feed - November 23rd, 2020
- Everything Else Leaked in the Capcom Hack | Game Rant - GameRant - November 23rd, 2020
- 5 Most Memorable Viral Video Games Of All Time (& 5 That Were Really Stupid, Now That We Think About It) - Screen Rant - November 21st, 2020
- TouchArcade Game of the Week: 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead' - Touch Arcade - November 21st, 2020
- Tetris movie officially in the works, will star Rocketman's Taron Egerton - Destructoid - November 21st, 2020
- 3 Of The Hottest Video Games Dropping In December 2020 - Gstyle magazine - November 21st, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity', 'Micetopia', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - November 21st, 2020
- Behind the mask: A chat with the developers of Maskmaker - Blogdottv - November 21st, 2020
- The 30 best iPad games you need to play - The DHT News - November 21st, 2020
- Review: Microsofts new Xbox consoles are powerful and speedy, but are they necessary? - The Dallas Morning News - November 21st, 2020
- Can You Pass The Cranberry Sauce? - FiveThirtyEight - November 21st, 2020
- How a Solo Indie Developer Built the Best Rated Game on Oculus Quest - Road to VR - November 19th, 2020
- DREAMO, A LOVE LETTER TO THE NARRATIVE PUZZLE GENRE - Gamasutra - November 19th, 2020
- Blair Witch: Experience the Horror of the Movie By...Solving Puzzles? - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 19th, 2020
- Out Now: 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead', 'The First Tree', 'Moonlighter', 'One Night at Flumpty's', 'Tomb Toad', 'DeLight: The Journey Home',... - November 19th, 2020
- Elite Dangerous and The World Next Door are free on the Epic Games Store this week - Neowin - November 19th, 2020
- The Pathless review: The joy of the unknown | Entertainment - UT Daily Beacon - November 19th, 2020
- Every PS5 launch game ranked worst to best - Looper - November 19th, 2020
- Call of the Sea sets sail in December - Gamesradar - November 19th, 2020
- 'When the Past was Around' confirmed for launch on Switch / PlayStation and Xbox mid-December 2020 - Gamasutra - November 19th, 2020
- 'Myst' (yes, that 'Myst') is coming back as an Oculus VR game in December - Mashable - November 19th, 2020
- It's Hitman's 20th anniversary, so here are 20 facts about the silly stealth sim - Rock Paper Shotgun - November 19th, 2020
- Xbox head Phil Spencer on video games as a way of life, even for the powerful - CNET - November 18th, 2020
- Agate, Telkom team up for Bali-themed puzzle adventure game - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - November 18th, 2020
- Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 Hands-On Preview (PS4) - Still A Very Good Puzzler At Its Core - PlayStation Universe - November 18th, 2020
- Call of the Sea is an adventure inspired by Lovecraft, but it's no horror game - PC Gamer - November 18th, 2020
- The best family board games - PC Gamer - November 18th, 2020
- Here Are The Games Coming Out In December 2020 - IGN India - November 18th, 2020
- 10 Puzzle Games That Are Impossible To Beat Without A Guide - GameRant - November 15th, 2020
- Video Games to Relax - The New York Times - November 15th, 2020
- Announcing Light The Fires, an award-winning hypercasual puzzle game - Pocket Gamer - November 15th, 2020
- Telling the Difference Between PS5 and PS4 Games Is Next-Gen's Toughest Puzzle - Push Square - November 15th, 2020
- Why the PS5 and Xbox Series X need to break the video game mold - CNET - November 15th, 2020
- Video Games for Relaxation - The New York Times - Aviation Analysis Wing - November 15th, 2020
- WiiWare's Greatest Hits. A celebration of the indie games of | by Shawn Laib | SUPERJUMP | Nov, 2020 - Medium - November 15th, 2020
- Bugsnax review you are what you eat | Games - The Guardian - November 15th, 2020
- Games And Puzzles Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2027|Trusted Business Insights... - November 15th, 2020
- Arkansas women to be tested early in SEC play - Arkansas Online - November 15th, 2020
- The Xbox Series X and the PS5 need to make video games weird and interesting - CNET - November 11th, 2020
- Game IQ the Gold Standard for game analytics and classification - MobileMarketing Magazine - November 11th, 2020
- The Digital Fix Gaming's Generation Awards: Best Puzzle, Simulation, PSVR, and RPG - The Digital Fix - November 11th, 2020
- Tales of the Neon Sea review - "Stunning but literally puzzling" - Pocket Gamer - November 11th, 2020
- Review: Pikmin 3 Deluxe Multiplayer and Modes Blossom on the Switch - Siliconera - November 11th, 2020
- Alba: A Wildlife Adventure Is a Peaceful Exploration Game from Monument Valley Dev - The Escapist - November 11th, 2020
- The Perfect 10: Tricky New Puzzle Game TENS! Out Now on Nintendo Switch and Steam - Gamasutra - November 10th, 2020
- The Backlog: Discover a light-hearted and puzzling adventure in Supraland - UConn Daily Campus - November 10th, 2020
- Welcome to the new games November - The New Indian Express - November 10th, 2020
- Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey Review - Niche Gamer - November 10th, 2020
- Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered now haunting Steam - PC Invasion - November 10th, 2020
- Superliminal Launches On Steam With Developer Commentary And Challenge Modes - TheGamer - November 10th, 2020
- Tetris Effect: Connected to reimagine proven addictiveness of Soviet masterpiece | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - November 9th, 2020
- Wait, What? - The New York Times - November 9th, 2020
- MAG Interactive : celebrates its ten-year anniversary with festive game events and nominates Player of the Decade - marketscreener.com - November 9th, 2020
- Which Has Better Exclusives, PS5 or XBox Series X? 20 Titles to Consider - eBaum's World Gaming News - November 9th, 2020
- The Best Xbox Series X games you'll need to play - CNET - November 9th, 2020
- Video game addict great-grandmother reveals how she plays with her consoles for eight hours a day - Wales Online - November 9th, 2020
- Stencyl vs. Fuze4: What's the Best Way to Start Making Your Own Video Games? - PCMag India - November 6th, 2020
- The hardest games on PC - PC Gamer - November 6th, 2020
- Should There Be a Last of Us 3? - ComicBook.com - November 6th, 2020
- Todays Android app deals + freebies: RowRow, Infinity Dungeon, more - 9to5Toys - November 6th, 2020
- WORKING THROUGH IT: Cape Fear Games copes with pandemic puzzle - Greater Wilmington Business Journal - November 5th, 2020
- Kosmokrats Review: Out of This World Humor | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - November 5th, 2020
- 'Light the Fires' is Filled With Fire-Lighting Puzzles - Indie Games Plus - November 5th, 2020
- Darksiders III, The Talos Principle, and two more games will leave Xbox Game Pass soon - Phone Mantra - November 5th, 2020
- Chip Theory Games Launches BURNCYCLE Kickstarter On November 10th - GameTyrant - November 5th, 2020
- The Medium Refused Classification in Australia - Niche Gamer - November 5th, 2020
- New adventure game 'South of the Circle' lands on Apple Arcade - Social News XYZ - November 5th, 2020
- LOVE - A Puzzle Box Filled with Stories Review: An Addictive Puzzle Experience - Screen Rant - November 3rd, 2020
- WATCH THE 2020 PS4-EXCLUSIVE PLAYSTATION TALENTS LINE-UP IN ACTION! - Gamasutra - November 3rd, 2020
- 5 Dreamcast Games That Should Be Remade (& 5 That Need Remasters) - GameRant - November 3rd, 2020
- Puzzle Adventure The 7th Guest Was Inspired By Clue, Twin Peaks, And Horror Movies, Says Co-Creator Graeme Devine - TheGamer - November 3rd, 2020
- A Tale of Dread X Collection 3 - TechRaptor - November 3rd, 2020
- Global Games and Puzzles Market Expected to Reach highest CAGR: Ravensburger AG (Germany), Hasbro (US), Buffalo Games (US), Springbok Puzzles (US)... - November 1st, 2020