Players were speculating if the rumors were true for months, but now that the PlayStation VR 2 has been officially announced to be in development for the PS5, everyone is beyond excited to see what kind of mind-bending next-level immersion that Sony can bring to the table in the VR market. With competition such as the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift, the PSVR2 is going to really have to step its game up to compete with these virtual reality titans.
RELATED:10 VR Games We Hope Get Ported To PS5s VR Platform
The original PSVR is still highly regarded as a high-quality and incredibly fun VR headset, with many things that could still be improved upon. But what really matters are the games, and the PSVR had great ones by the dozens. Blood & Truth, Iron Man VR, Super Hot VR, Star Wars: Squadrons; the list goes on and on. But with a new headset coming out soon, there are so many ports, sequels, and reimagined experiences that the PSVR2 could provide on the PS5.
Although it may be a bit of a long shot, Half-Life Alyx was a stunning title for PC-enabled VR headsets that really showed a lot of what VR gaming was capable of, and it could potentially be ported to the PSVR2.
Although Valve is a prominently PC-based company especially for their newer titles, PlayStation consoles have seen the release of games such as The Orange Box Collection and Portal 2. Therefore, whos to say that the long-awaited Half-Life sequel couldnt make its way to a PlayStation console once again?
All VR platforms need more games like Blood & Truth. This immensely fun title puts you in the drivers seat (sometimes literally) of a Guy Ritchie-style British action film, where you need to pull off some amazing heists, dodge and shoot through mind-blowing set pieces, and traverse through a story of family and revenge.
Blood & Truth should get a sequel solely based on how fun the experience is. If the sequel was placed as a potential launch title for the PSVR2, its hard to comprehend how amazing it would be.
Fans have been waiting for nearly an entire console generation for a return to the Infamous franchise. Making its last appearance at the beginning of the PS4 with Infamous Second Son, fans are especially fond of the PS3 days with the lightning powers of Cole McGrath.
RELATED: PlayStation: Every Controller Over The Years, Ranked
Whether a retelling of the first or second game in a new lens or a completely new experience, playing as McGrath in VR and being able to use various electric powers from the palms of your hands would be a dream come true for fans of the open-world superhero series.
A few issues aside, the thrill of Iron Man VR was quite unmatched by any other game on the market. The exhilaration of flying through the air and weaving between buildings as Tony Starks alter ego was so well-implemented and could easily explore more territory in an expanded sequel.
On that matter, it would be wise to continue a partnership with Marvel to create even more VR-based superhero gamesto expand on the superhuman experiences that the PSVR2 could offer. Captain America VR, Spider-Man VR, or Hulk VR could have something amazing to offer new VR fans. Its probably safe to assume that we wont be seeing a Howard The Duck VR, but anything is possible.
Despite ruling the gaming world at one point, rhythm games have sadly dropped from popularity in recent years. The Guitar Hero and Rock Band series tried to have a resurrection in the mid-2010s with Guitar Hero Live and Rock Band 4, but they sadly didnt live up to the massive popularity that they once had.
However, there is one place where rhythm games still reign supreme: VR headsets. Games like Beat Saber and Pistol Whip have entranced players all over again with their addictive gameplay, so it might be time for Guitar Hero and Rock Band to get their third wind and return with a fully VR approach. Completely virtual instruments? Physical controllers with sensors? Whatever the approach, Guitar Hero and Rock Band deserve their day in the virtual sun one more time.
One of the coolest implementations of VR in the past few years has been the retooling of already existing games to be fully playable in a VR setting. Games like Skyrim, Borderlands 2, and No Mans Sky have received new life by allowing people to live in their worldsthrough a headset.
RELATED: 10 PSP Games That Are Begging For Re-Releases On Consoles
The more games reimagined this way, the better. Games like Dying Light, Red Dead Redemption 2, Rage 2, or virtually any other open-world title would be worth revisiting through the PSVR2.
EAs latest line of Star Wars games have been knocking it out of the park. Jedi: Fallen Order, the newly transformed Battlefront 2, and Squadrons have impressed and engulfed players in the expansive galaxy of Star Wars.
Star Wars: Squadrons specifically amazed fans because, with its VR implementation, players could hop in the cockpit of their favorite fighters and battle in space in one of the most thrilling VR experiences on the market. Hopefully, in its success, Star Wars: Squadrons 2 is around the corner, and players can take their starfighters down to planet-side.
Tetris Effect was one of the most oddly entrancing puzzle games to be released. It took the tried and true formula of Tetris and made it into an audio/visual landscape that, along with headphones, created a totally immersive experience around a game that has been around since the start.
RELATED: 10 PSVR Games You Didnt Know Were Coming In 2021
The game even included a VR mode, which further expanded the immersion and put the effect back in Tetris Effect. Games like Puyo Puyo and Match 3-type games, or even old classics like Solitaire or Sudoku, could be turned into something so mind-bending if they were given treatment on the PSVR2
The long-awaited and fan-funded Psychonauts 2 is on its way (hopefully still in 2021), and fans were given a VR side game to experience until the true sequel to the beloved adventure game released. Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin was a fun little character-based puzzle game that brought Raz and the whole cast of psychic characters back for an adventure that leads into Psychonauts 2.
Due to this project, there is a possibility that the Psychonauts sequel could include a VR mode on the PSVR2. Whether its a smaller portion of the game or the entire experience, the possibility of another psychic VR experience is an enticing one.
When the iconic PlayStation franchise hit its 4th entry, the Uncharted series saw Nathan Drake hang up his notebook and guns to enjoy a life of peace and retirement. Despite this, there is still reason to return to the series in virtual reality.
If it presented itself as a prequel, players could take a first-person perspective of Nathan Drake in a Blood & Truth style of game, taking players through amazing setpieces that are typical in the franchise. There would be something really special about visiting the Uncharted series once again in the shoes of the greatest treasure hunter out there.
Next:PS5: Every Accessory Available For PlayStations Newest Console
Next Biggest Differences Between Persona 5 And Persona 5 Royal
Mitch Rayner lives in Fredericton NB Canada, and is a musician, writer, social worker by trade, and overall lover of all things video games and movies! He really wants to promote that people listen to The Mountain Goats on their downtime, and that everyone should stay safe and be safely social during these bizarre times.
- Aloof, the cutest puzzle-fighter ever, arrives on Switch later this year thanks to RedDeer.games - Gamasutra - July 21st, 2021
- Nintendo News: Shape Your Next Adventure With Three Additional Super NES Games Arriving to Nintendo Switch Online - Business Wire - July 21st, 2021
- 7 Billion Humans finally arrives on Android | Articles - Pocket Gamer - July 21st, 2021
- Do 2.7 billion gamers around the world hold the key to solving climate change? - Illinoisnewstoday.com - July 21st, 2021
- Skyward Sword HD Proves That Future Zelda Games Need Traditional Dungeons - Den of Geek - July 21st, 2021
- Five Games to Play While You Wait for Breath of the Wild 2 - The New York Times - July 21st, 2021
- ITALY. Land of Wonders lets you discover the cultural heritage of the country via puzzles, out now on iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - July 21st, 2021
- miHoYo's Tears of Themis is Releasing July 29th for Mobile and Android - Goomba Stomp - July 21st, 2021
- Heres The Lowdown On That Kick-Ass 2.5D Cyberpunk Game - Kotaku - July 21st, 2021
- Arcsmith is a Quirky VR Puzzle Game from Thomas Was Alone Studio, Coming to Quest in July - Road to VR - July 7th, 2021
- Cat Detective Mimo and the Case of the Increasingly Meta Bank Heist - Alternate Reality Gaming Network - July 7th, 2021
- Solve Puzzles and Escape a Horrifying Mansion in The Tartarus Key - The Nerd Stash - July 7th, 2021
- Imagine that quest in Oblivion where you get stuck in a painting, but it's a whole puzzle game now - Rock Paper Shotgun - July 7th, 2021
- Xbox Cloud Gaming Is The Future, But Its Not There Yet - Kotaku - July 7th, 2021
- 30 Steam Games All Less Than $25 To Amuse Yourself With - PC Perspective - July 7th, 2021
- 'The Spectrum Retreat' Free On Epic Games Store, 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead' and 'Ironcast' Next Week - WorthPlaying.com - July 7th, 2021
- PlayStation Now Games Release Tomorrow And They Look Great - Pure PlayStation - July 7th, 2021
- A Tale Of Synapse: The Chaos Theories Review Pretty But Uneven Puzzles - News Nation USA - July 7th, 2021
- We're Open: Out of the Box includes unique games, puzzles, and toys - Fox17 - June 24th, 2021
- Seriously Addictive Mobile Games That Will Help You Kill Time - YouBeauty - June 24th, 2021
- Myst VR remake confirmed for release in Q3 2021 - NME - June 24th, 2021
- I Turned to Jigsaw Puzzles When My World Fell Apart - The New York Times - June 24th, 2021
- The Brilliant Puzzler 'Baba Is You' from Hempuli Just Released on iOS and Android with over 200 Levels Included - Touch Arcade - June 24th, 2021
- The Best N64 Games of All Time - Your Money Geek - June 24th, 2021
- The best video games of 2021 so far - The Guardian - June 24th, 2021
- Every Major Upcoming Aussie Indie Game You Should Keep An Eye On - Kotaku Australia - June 24th, 2021
- 35 Indie Games That Really Want Your Attention - Kotaku - June 24th, 2021
- Ticket to Ride: Track Switcher Is a Logic Puzzle Game for Kids and Adults - SuperParent - June 8th, 2021
- PlayStation Talent reveals 21 new indie titles ahead of E3 - NME.com - June 8th, 2021
- Tetris Effect Celebrates the Puzzler's Anniversary and Origin with Awesome Secret Stage - Push Square - June 8th, 2021
- Review: Bunny Factory - Movies Games and Tech - June 8th, 2021
- Universal Studios Japan has reopened to the public - Nintendo Wire - June 8th, 2021
- Eight awesome indie PC games you shouldnt miss this June - PCGamesN - June 8th, 2021
- Guerrilla Collective 2021 Day 1: All the Games Announced and Unveiled - TechnoSports - June 8th, 2021
- Unsigned: Finding the things we've lost in ourselves in Love A Puzzle Box filled with Stories | Business News - MCV/Develop - June 8th, 2021
- Fire Tonight brings heartfelt narrative puzzling to Switch, PC in August - Nintendo Enthusiast - June 8th, 2021
- Trenga Unlimited Is Rather Limited XSX Review But Why Tho? - But Why Tho? A Geek Community - May 27th, 2021
- 14 of the best hidden gems on Xbox Game Pass - The Guardian - May 27th, 2021
- Mondoku is a colorful number puzzle game that will be released on Android and iOS in the near future. - Gaming News - BollyInside - May 27th, 2021
- All You Need to Know Before Developing an Android Game App - TechBullion - May 27th, 2021
- New games coming to Xbox Game Pass this May include Knockout City and Maneater - PinkNews - May 27th, 2021
- Digital music festival Save & Sound kicks off this weekend with sales on Steam - Gamasutra - May 27th, 2021
- How to play Android games on your PC with BlueStacks - Android Central - May 27th, 2021
- Want To Make Your Kids Gaming Session Productive? Play These Educational Games - IWMBuzz - May 27th, 2021
- Word games for kids: Enhance your kid's creativity and learning - Times of India - May 27th, 2021
- Relive Your Childhood with the Best SNES Games - Your Money Geek - May 27th, 2021
- Portal Movie Revealed to be In Active Development - EsportsTalk - May 27th, 2021
- Maneater and Knockout City are among the Xbox Game Pass games available in May - Gaming News - BollyInside - May 27th, 2021
- The Chronos Principle is a minimalist puzzle game coming this week for iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - May 15th, 2021
- Pokemon Games Never Change: For True Evolution, Play the Spin-Offs - PCMag - May 15th, 2021
- Game reviews: Resident Evil Village, New Pokemon Snap, Hood: Outlaws & Legends and Simon's Cat put to the test - Wales Online - May 15th, 2021
- NEO: The World Ends With You Hints at the Return of Another Old Friend - IGN Nordic - May 15th, 2021
- Exploring the Discourse on Wholesome Games - TechRaptor - May 15th, 2021
- What Are Some Underrated Games You Love That Nobody Talks About? - Kotaku Australia - May 15th, 2021
- New Pokemon Snap Successfully Modernizes the Classic N64 Formula - Den of Geek - May 15th, 2021
- New VR Games May 2021: All The Biggest Releases - UploadVR - May 3rd, 2021
- The Easiest Way to Boost Your Gamerscore with New Games and Xbox Game Pass Additions from April 2021 - TheXboxHub - May 3rd, 2021
- New Pokemon Snap Is Missing One Major Type of Puzzle From the Original Pokemon Snap - ComicBook.com - May 3rd, 2021
- Out of Line Hands-on Preview - Welcome to the Machine - COGconnected - May 3rd, 2021
- Solving puzzles as a spy duo in Operation: Tango is fun, but it needs to up the suspense - PC Gamer - May 3rd, 2021
- Outer Worlds DLC teased in a series of cryptic tweets - NME.com - May 3rd, 2021
- Ubisoft Switch Sale Has Deals On Everything From Assassin's Creed To Rayman - GameSpot - May 3rd, 2021
- Tweens and Teens for Mother's Day - Portsmouth Daily Times - May 3rd, 2021
- Puzzling Places to Launch on Oculus Quest Store This Fall - Road to VR - April 18th, 2021
- Eastern Illinois AD part of committee working on FCS playoff puzzle - ChicagoNow - April 18th, 2021
- Puzzle Bobble VR: Vacation Odyssey Will Arrive in May - Siliconera - April 18th, 2021
- Demonoid Allows You To Play Free Games Online on Web - Fortune India - April 18th, 2021
- 'Oxenfree II: Lost Signals' headlines a new crop of Switch indie games - Engadget - April 18th, 2021
- The Electronic Wireless Show Podcast episode 136: the best weather in games special - Rock Paper Shotgun - April 18th, 2021
- Kinda Funnys Blessing Jr. Does an Entire Episode of The Blessing Show From Within Dreams - PlayStation LifeStyle - April 18th, 2021
- 14 free apps and games for Android for a limited time | Technology Explica .co - Explica - April 18th, 2021
- 11 new Android games from the last week: The best, worst, and everything in between (3/29/21 - 4/4/21) - Android Police - April 4th, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 4th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Dungeon & Puzzles', 'Stick Fight: The Game', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - April 4th, 2021
- The Three Best and Worst Games of March 2021 - COGconnected - April 4th, 2021
- Google Play Pass now has over 800 games, apps - HT Tech - April 4th, 2021
- The Easiest Ways to Boost Your Gamerscore from the Xbox Games of March 2021 - TheXboxHub - April 4th, 2021
- Game of the Month: March 2021's Best PS5, PS4 Games - Pure PlayStation - April 4th, 2021
- This Weeks VR Game Roundup: New Archery Game, Kitchen Island VR - VR Fitness Insider - April 4th, 2021