The fourth generations of consoles, which took place, roughly speaking, between 1987 and 1994, saw the emergence of the 16-bit consoles. These consisted of the TurboGrafx-16, the Sega Genesis, and the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. The early years of video games were not like they are today, especially when it comes to licensed games. Licensed games were not only widely accepted but were also some of the best games on their respective system, with Disney games being the prime example of this.
RELATED:If Aladdin And Lion King Can Get A Remaster, Mickey Mania (And These Other 90s Games) Should Too
To show just how dominant and high-quality Disney games were at that time, we have comprised a list of some of the very best Disney games of that era.
Mickey Mania was an adventure through the career of pop cultures favorite little mouse. You start off in Steamboat Willie, widely known as the first appearance of Mickey. The first level is completely black and white, aside from our titular hero, before it transitions into full color to signify the transition of time from the black and white era into the color era, creating a really cool effect.
From there, you go through the history of Mickey Mouse, represented with some colorful levels, while also seeing some familiar faces along the way.
World of Illusion is part of Sega's fantastic Illusion series which had entries on the Sega Genesis, Sega Master System, and Sega Game Gear. In the game, you have the ability to play as either Mickey, Donald, or both in two-player mode.
With the swing of Mickey or Donalds cape, you make enemies disappear, which acts as your attack for the game. As with most Disney games, World of Illusion is rather easy and can be beaten in an afternoon, but the fun locations and platforming make it a great playthrough, especially if you bring along a friend.
The Magical Quest was the start of a trilogy on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System which included Magical Quest, The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minnie, and the Japanese-exclusive Magical Quest 3 Starring Mickey and Donald.
Throughout the game, you collect costumes for Mickey to wear, which will give him abilities that help him make his way through levels. First, you get a magicians outfit which allows Mickey to shoot magic at his enemies, then a firefighter uniform which lets him spray water, and, finally, you get mountain-climbing gear which allows him to use a grappling hook to attach to certain objects.
One of the greatest co-op experiences on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System is Goof Troop. Goof Troop is a top-down puzzle game developed by Capcom. Capcom and Disney had a good relationship during both the fourth and third generation, creating many fantastic games like Duck Tales, The Magical Quest trilogy, Aladdin on the Super Nintendo, and many, many more.
In Goof Troops single-player, you play as Goofy solving puzzles built for one, but, in co-op, the first player controls Goofy, while the second controls his son, Max, solving puzzles built for 2 players.
Maui Mallard In Cold Shadow stars Maui Mallard, who is actually just our favorite speech impaired duck Donald. Maui Mallard a Hawian wearing shirt duck by day and a ninja by night. The game is filled with some great use of color and excellent animation that really makes Donald come to life.
Throughout the game, you switch back and forth between Maui Mallad and Cold Shadow. The Maui Mallard parts play almost like a run and gun while the Cold Shadow parts play like an action platformer with the ability to use your staff to swing from platform to platform.
The Japanese-exclusive Donald Duck no Mahou no Boushi is, like just about every other game on this list, a very colorful platformer. In this game, you complete various chores for different characters in the game, such as putting mail in mailboxes and cleaning dirty windows. Trust us, it is more fun than it sounds.
The Donald sprite in this game is great and incredibly expressive, with many different animations to express just how our not-so-brave hero is feeling, with all of the levels also receiving the same amount of detail.
Another Japanese-exclusive game, Mickey no Tokyo Disneyland Daibouken stars Mickey, as the name implies. Throughout the game, you explore Disneyland as Mickey with the help of balloons. You have the option to fill up your balloons with either helium so you can float or water use them to soak your enemies to death.
We find it odd that any Disney game would not be localized and brought to North America, the home of the characters. Mickey no Tokyo Disneyland Daibouken, Donald Duck no Mahou no Boushi, and Magical Quest 3 Starring Mickey and Donald are all fantastic games that would have been very much enjoyed in North America.
This may start a small debate as many prefer the Sega Genesis version of Aladdin over the Super Nintendo Entertainment System version. We feel that, if you prefer action platformers, youll prefer the Sega Genesis version, but, if you prefer straight-up platformers, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System version is for you.
RELATED:Gaming Detail: Mickey Mouse Meets An Awful Fate In Genesis Aladdin
Throughout the game, you replay the events of the movie, using Aladdins acrobatic skills and pension for throwing fruit to progress all the way to the climactic final battle with Jafar. The game has some solid platforming and offers a bit of a challenge, especially when compared to other entries on this list.
Quackshot Starring Donald Duck borrows slightly from Nintendos Metroid series, as you must find items in one level of the game and use them to help you progress further through previous levels. While the levels are broken up, the need for backtracking with new items gives the game a feeling of cohesion.
RELATED:Metroid Prime Gaming Detail: X-Ray Shows How Samus' Cannon Works
Only four levels are available from the start, but more are unlocked once you have completed them. You start the game with only a plunger that can only stun enemies but quickly acquire different tools for fighting enemies and traversing levels.
One of the best platformers on the Sega Genesis, Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse is an easy but highly enjoyable playthrough that deserves every platformer lovers attention. You can do the classic hop and bop like in the Super Mario series to take out enemies or you can use apples to dispatch enemies safely.
RELATED:10 Sega Genesis Games That Should Get A Remake
This beloved game was remade for the seventh generation of consoles with updated visuals and soundtrack to ensure this great game is not forgotten to time. It's easily one of the best platformers and possibly one of the best games of the 16-bit era.
NEXT: Disney Codeillusion Teaches Players To Code Using Mickey, Aladdin & Other Iconic Characters
Next Pokmon Sword & Shield: The Isle Of Armor: 10 Things You Missed About Honey
Ian is a writer with a strong interest in video game history. He has a small collection of games going back to the '70s with the Atari 2600 all the way up to the most current generation; so when you need a random fact about video game history to show off with at a party, he's your guy!
The rest is here:
10 Fantastic Disney Games From The 16-Bit Era | TheGamer - TheGamer
- Ticket to Ride: Track Switcher Is a Logic Puzzle Game for Kids and Adults - SuperParent - June 8th, 2021
- PlayStation Talent reveals 21 new indie titles ahead of E3 - NME.com - June 8th, 2021
- Tetris Effect Celebrates the Puzzler's Anniversary and Origin with Awesome Secret Stage - Push Square - June 8th, 2021
- Review: Bunny Factory - Movies Games and Tech - June 8th, 2021
- Universal Studios Japan has reopened to the public - Nintendo Wire - June 8th, 2021
- Eight awesome indie PC games you shouldnt miss this June - PCGamesN - June 8th, 2021
- Guerrilla Collective 2021 Day 1: All the Games Announced and Unveiled - TechnoSports - June 8th, 2021
- Unsigned: Finding the things we've lost in ourselves in Love A Puzzle Box filled with Stories | Business News - MCV/Develop - June 8th, 2021
- Fire Tonight brings heartfelt narrative puzzling to Switch, PC in August - Nintendo Enthusiast - June 8th, 2021
- Trenga Unlimited Is Rather Limited XSX Review But Why Tho? - But Why Tho? A Geek Community - May 27th, 2021
- 14 of the best hidden gems on Xbox Game Pass - The Guardian - May 27th, 2021
- Mondoku is a colorful number puzzle game that will be released on Android and iOS in the near future. - Gaming News - BollyInside - May 27th, 2021
- All You Need to Know Before Developing an Android Game App - TechBullion - May 27th, 2021
- New games coming to Xbox Game Pass this May include Knockout City and Maneater - PinkNews - May 27th, 2021
- Digital music festival Save & Sound kicks off this weekend with sales on Steam - Gamasutra - May 27th, 2021
- How to play Android games on your PC with BlueStacks - Android Central - May 27th, 2021
- Want To Make Your Kids Gaming Session Productive? Play These Educational Games - IWMBuzz - May 27th, 2021
- Word games for kids: Enhance your kid's creativity and learning - Times of India - May 27th, 2021
- Relive Your Childhood with the Best SNES Games - Your Money Geek - May 27th, 2021
- Portal Movie Revealed to be In Active Development - EsportsTalk - May 27th, 2021
- Maneater and Knockout City are among the Xbox Game Pass games available in May - Gaming News - BollyInside - May 27th, 2021
- The Chronos Principle is a minimalist puzzle game coming this week for iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - May 15th, 2021
- Pokemon Games Never Change: For True Evolution, Play the Spin-Offs - PCMag - May 15th, 2021
- Game reviews: Resident Evil Village, New Pokemon Snap, Hood: Outlaws & Legends and Simon's Cat put to the test - Wales Online - May 15th, 2021
- NEO: The World Ends With You Hints at the Return of Another Old Friend - IGN Nordic - May 15th, 2021
- Exploring the Discourse on Wholesome Games - TechRaptor - May 15th, 2021
- What Are Some Underrated Games You Love That Nobody Talks About? - Kotaku Australia - May 15th, 2021
- New Pokemon Snap Successfully Modernizes the Classic N64 Formula - Den of Geek - May 15th, 2021
- New VR Games May 2021: All The Biggest Releases - UploadVR - May 3rd, 2021
- The Easiest Way to Boost Your Gamerscore with New Games and Xbox Game Pass Additions from April 2021 - TheXboxHub - May 3rd, 2021
- New Pokemon Snap Is Missing One Major Type of Puzzle From the Original Pokemon Snap - ComicBook.com - May 3rd, 2021
- Out of Line Hands-on Preview - Welcome to the Machine - COGconnected - May 3rd, 2021
- Solving puzzles as a spy duo in Operation: Tango is fun, but it needs to up the suspense - PC Gamer - May 3rd, 2021
- Outer Worlds DLC teased in a series of cryptic tweets - NME.com - May 3rd, 2021
- Ubisoft Switch Sale Has Deals On Everything From Assassin's Creed To Rayman - GameSpot - May 3rd, 2021
- Tweens and Teens for Mother's Day - Portsmouth Daily Times - May 3rd, 2021
- Puzzling Places to Launch on Oculus Quest Store This Fall - Road to VR - April 18th, 2021
- Eastern Illinois AD part of committee working on FCS playoff puzzle - ChicagoNow - April 18th, 2021
- Puzzle Bobble VR: Vacation Odyssey Will Arrive in May - Siliconera - April 18th, 2021
- Demonoid Allows You To Play Free Games Online on Web - Fortune India - April 18th, 2021
- 'Oxenfree II: Lost Signals' headlines a new crop of Switch indie games - Engadget - April 18th, 2021
- The Electronic Wireless Show Podcast episode 136: the best weather in games special - Rock Paper Shotgun - April 18th, 2021
- Kinda Funnys Blessing Jr. Does an Entire Episode of The Blessing Show From Within Dreams - PlayStation LifeStyle - April 18th, 2021
- 14 free apps and games for Android for a limited time | Technology Explica .co - Explica - April 18th, 2021
- 11 new Android games from the last week: The best, worst, and everything in between (3/29/21 - 4/4/21) - Android Police - April 4th, 2021
- Classic games like chess and Sudoku are now easier to play on iPhones and iPads - TechRadar - April 4th, 2021
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Dungeon & Puzzles', 'Stick Fight: The Game', and Today's Other New Releases and Sales - Touch Arcade - April 4th, 2021
- The Three Best and Worst Games of March 2021 - COGconnected - April 4th, 2021
- Google Play Pass now has over 800 games, apps - HT Tech - April 4th, 2021
- The Easiest Ways to Boost Your Gamerscore from the Xbox Games of March 2021 - TheXboxHub - April 4th, 2021
- Game of the Month: March 2021's Best PS5, PS4 Games - Pure PlayStation - April 4th, 2021
- This Weeks VR Game Roundup: New Archery Game, Kitchen Island VR - VR Fitness Insider - April 4th, 2021
- Best New Android Games This Week: The Wake, Quick Fire, Dual Summoners, and More - DroidGamers - April 4th, 2021
- It Takes Two review: This is how it runs on PC - Laptop Mag - April 4th, 2021
- Pillars of Active Aging - Old School Puzzles And Games To Promote Active Aging Brain Health - LNP | LancasterOnline - March 4th, 2021
- Tvinnr: Basic tips to help you enjoy this relaxing puzzle game - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- Maquette is a neat puzzle game that packs an emotional punch - The Next Web - March 4th, 2021
- Our most anticipated indie games of 2021 - Rock Paper Shotgun - March 4th, 2021
- MonkeyBox 2: Cards! is an upcoming puzzle adventure game for iOS from TheCodingMonkeys - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- Play with Gravity in Gravifire on Xbox and Switch - TheXboxHub - March 4th, 2021
- Lovin Games Weekly - There is a new Aliens game on the way - Lovin Dublin - March 4th, 2021
- It Takes Two Isn't Focusing on Replayability, Won't Have Collectibles - GameRant - March 4th, 2021
- The Video Games to Play This Month: Get Tiny with Maquette, It Takes Two, and More! - The Portland Mercury - March 4th, 2021
- 50% Kemco RPG and Puzzle Games on PS Store - GLYFE Nation - March 4th, 2021
- Worst Pokmon Spin-off Games Nintendo Should Never Remake - Screen Rant - March 4th, 2021
- Super Rare Games giving immersive puzzle game Creaks a physical Switch release next week - GoNintendo - March 4th, 2021
- Every Uncharted Game, Ranked Worst To Best | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - March 4th, 2021
- 10 Games We Need To See On PSVR2 That Could Actually Happen On PS5 - TheGamer - March 4th, 2021
- PC Review - 'Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead' - WorthPlaying.com - March 4th, 2021
- The Next Hawks Coach Will Have to Solve the Trae Young Puzzle - The Ringer - March 4th, 2021
- Sponsored: 5 games that make you think like a programmer - Gamasutra - March 4th, 2021
- Inked review - "If only looks were everything" | Articles - Pocket Gamer - March 4th, 2021
- From Portal to Witcher 3: The games people cheat at the most! - European Gaming Industry News - March 4th, 2021
- 5 Best PC Boxing games to play in 2021 - Gameranx - March 4th, 2021
- What Are the Most Popular Types of Mobile Game? | TechQuila - TechQuila - February 19th, 2021
- The Legend of Zelda games ranked! - The Guardian - February 19th, 2021
- Wordsmyth is a beautiful daily word game coming soon to iOS and Android - Pocket Gamer - February 19th, 2021
- Review: She Remembered Caterpillars - Movies Games and Tech - February 19th, 2021
- Artie raises $10 million as it pivots to make instant games - VentureBeat - February 19th, 2021
- Fortnite Creative gets callout for puzzles and platformers - AltChar - February 19th, 2021