One of the best ways to ensure that westay mentally sound well into old ageis by keeping our minds active. Whether thats by fully engaging with our work, throwing ourselves into new hobbies, or simply learning new things, an active brain is a healthy one.
Something that were perhaps all a little guilty of is spending too much unproductive time in front of a screen; but what if you could procrastinate in a way that would be beneficial for your brain? These games prove that having fun can be a great way to keep your grey matter moving.
Poker is famous for being the strategic thinkers game of choice, so signing up to an online provider is a good way to keep your mind busy.
Some sites keep the competition ramped up by featuring players on their game leader boards. For new players, this challenge can seem a little daunting, but they refresh their leader boards weekly so that even new sign-ups get a chance to compete. If youre already familiar with the rules then you might get the chance to see your name up there on the leader board, but even if you dont manage it at first, youll still be getting the benefits of a bit of mental exercise.
Poker playing encourages us to think on our feet, which can help to make us remain calmer in stressful situations. As well as this, our brains need to be sharp to look for patterns and to try to anticipate the other players next move. Using our brains in this multi-faceted way can help us to think more clearly, both in the game and in the rest of our lives.
In our increasingly global world, a second language is becoming more and more important. If youre looking for a change of career, then a second language is one of the most useful assets you can have on your CV, but even if youre happy in your career or already retired its a brilliant wayto keepyour mind active.
Whilst its certainly effective learning from a book or a series of DVDs, online games are actually getting the upper hand when it comes to effective learning. Interactivity is one of the ways that the things we learn sink into our brains the best. So, being able to play mini-games and interact with the environment as naturally as possible, has proven to be the best way of learning a new language.
Sites and apps like Duolingo and Babbel provide totally free language tuition and are as fun to use as they are effective.
Although chess is dwindling in popularity, the competition at the upper echelons is as fierce as ever. Perhaps its because Millennials have masses of computer games to play, and so the humble board games have lost their appeal. Whatever the reason, its high time that chess made a comeback. Its full of great strategic thinking and depending on how you choose to play it can be surprisingly fast-paced.
If the endless pondering over moves is what has put you off learning, then a great way to get past that is with online chess puzzles.
Themost popular site for learning chessallows you to choose whether youd like to play standard games against a computer, against a random opponent, or against somebody you know. The chatbox means that even if you live far apart you can keep in touch with somebody in a moreinteractive way than just texting or emailing.
Of course, if youd like to bolster up your skills first then there are timed chess puzzles available on chess.com, which typically require you to reach checkmate in the quickest time possible. They encourage you to be logical, strategic and fast-developing critical ways of thinking that are brilliant for your brain.
See the rest here:
Online Games to Keep Your Mind Active - Pulse Headlines
- Chess Universe App The New Chess Experience, Now Available for iOS and Android - News Anyway - May 15th, 2020
- The Case of the Purloined Picture (Christopher Bush) - stopthefud - May 15th, 2020
- 5 Best Chess Games for Android and iOS - Techlomedia - March 29th, 2020
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'Kemono Heroes' Review, Mini-Views Featuring 'Unlock The King', Today's New Releases, the Latest Sales, and More - Touch Arcade - March 9th, 2020
- School's out, but the learning needn't stop: teach your kids a new skill this half-term - Telegraph.co.uk - February 16th, 2020
- Why do so many kids quit chess in their teens? An advisory to parents - The Indian Express - January 27th, 2020
- New Year's themed crafts, activities mark the first month for local libraries - The Turlock Journal - December 28th, 2019
- How Viswanathan Anand created a chess legacy that changed India - Scroll.in - December 13th, 2019
- Seasonal crafts, Hobbit-themed escape room and Noon Year's Eve party at local libraries - The Turlock Journal - November 28th, 2019
- SwitchArcade Round-Up: 'The Stretchers' Review, 'Bee Simulator' and Today's Other New Releases, the Latest Sales, and More - Touch Arcade - November 12th, 2019
- October library events include snakes, 'Stranger Things' and spook-tacular crafts - The Turlock Journal - September 28th, 2019
- Knights, kings, and chess champs - Aldergrove Star - September 17th, 2019
- Chess puzzles - chess.cool - September 11th, 2019
- Chess Puzzles 43-44 for Kids | Mate in 1 | Queen-Bishop ... - September 21st, 2017
- Why the world's toughest maths problems are much harder than a chess puzzle, and well worth US$1m - The Conversation UK - September 6th, 2017
- Can You Solve the Million-Dollar, Unsolvable Chess Problem? - Atlas Obscura - September 2nd, 2017
- Young Marape shines in Zimbabwe - Mmegi Online - August 30th, 2017
- Chess Ultra Makes A Move On Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Insider - August 7th, 2017
- Checkmate is possible when Chess Ultra comes to Switch - Vooks - August 6th, 2017
- Chess Ultra Coming To Nintendo Switch; New Trailer Released - DualShockers - August 2nd, 2017
- Small-Business Success Story: Learners Chess Academy - Kiplinger Personal Finance - August 1st, 2017
- Feature story: Lauren Goodkind plays, teaches and writes about chess - The Almanac Online - July 13th, 2017
- Solve Puzzles (And Sometimes Crime) In Picross Dating Sim - Kotaku - July 6th, 2017
- Play Chess For Your Soul In Chess Ultra - VRFocus - June 21st, 2017
- 8 must-see indie Xbox and PC games you may have missed at E3 2017 - Windows Central - June 20th, 2017
- Chess Ultra is now available for pre-order on Xbox One - OnMSFT (blog) - June 9th, 2017
- Chess Ultra release date announced for Xbox One to go alongside ... - TheXboxHub (blog) - June 7th, 2017
- Play the Grim Reaper and Save Your Soul in Chess Ultra This ... - VRFocus - June 7th, 2017
- On Chess: Are chess books dying? - St. Louis Public Radio - May 18th, 2017
- On Chess: Are Chess Books Dying? - KBIA - May 17th, 2017
- New data show most drivers use handheld devices - The Salinas Californian - April 28th, 2017
- Can You Outsmart Our Elementary School Math Problems? - FiveThirtyEight - April 7th, 2017
- Desktop v Mobile the best platforms for online gaming - Live in Limbo - March 23rd, 2017
- 'Chess Ultra' is Bringing its Luxurious Game Environments to PSVR, Oculus Rift, and HTC Vive - Road to VR - March 15th, 2017
- Shakira Ampaire all set for the Zonal Championships - Kawowo Sports - March 13th, 2017
- Chess Puzzles - 365Chess.com - November 25th, 2016
- Chess Problems, Puzzles, & Compositions - Chessopolis - November 15th, 2016
- Chess puzzle - Wikipedia - October 25th, 2016
- Chess Puzzles | Brilliant Math & Science Wiki - September 8th, 2016
- Home | Chess Puzzles! - June 20th, 2016
- Chess Puzzles | Solve Chess Problems and Compositions ... - September 28th, 2015
- IM Daniel Rensch Plays Beat The Clock With Chess Puzzles - Video - April 28th, 2015
- How to Solve Chess Puzzles #23 - Video - April 22nd, 2015
- How to Solve Chess Puzzles #22 - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Your Daily Chess Puzzles: April 8th, 9th and 10th 2015! - Video - April 13th, 2015
- Your Daily Chess Puzzles: April 5th and 6th 2015! - Video - April 10th, 2015
- Your Daily Chess Puzzles: April 3rd and 4th 2015! - Video - April 10th, 2015
- Solving Chess Puzzles #1 - Video - March 23rd, 2015
- How to solve Chess Puzzles: Chessworld.net Puzzle Practice #29 - Video - March 7th, 2015
- How to solve Chess Puzzles: Chessworld.net Puzzle Practice #28 - "Forcing moves force cooperation!" - Video - February 24th, 2015
- How to solve Chess Puzzles: Chessworld.net Puzzle Practice #26 - Video - February 19th, 2015
- How to solve Chess Puzzles: Chessworld.net Puzzle Practice #27 - Video - February 19th, 2015
- How to Solve Chess Puzzles #21 - Video - January 31st, 2015
- How to solve Chess Puzzles: Chessworld.net Puzzle Practice #25 - Video - January 30th, 2015
- How to solve Chess Puzzles: Chessworld.net Puzzle Practice #24 - Video - January 29th, 2015
- How to solve Chess Puzzles: Chessworld.net Puzzle Practice #23 - Video - January 29th, 2015
- Alice: Madness Returns [Part 6] - Chess Puzzles - Video - January 18th, 2015
- The Best Chess Puzzles #33 The solutions of the chessbase.com Xmas puzzles - Video - January 11th, 2015
- How to solve Chess Puzzles: Chessworld.net Puzzle Practice #22 - Video - January 10th, 2015
- The best chess puzzles #32 The solutions of the chessbase.com Xmas puzzles #7-8 - Video - January 10th, 2015
- The best chess puzzles #31 The solutions of the chessbase.com Xmas puzzles #6 - Video - January 7th, 2015
- The Best Chess Puzzles #29 The solution of the chessbase.com Xmas puzzles #4 - Video - January 5th, 2015
- The Best Chess Puzzles #28 The solution of the chessbase.com Xmas puzzles #3 - Video - January 4th, 2015
- The best chess puzzles #30 The soluton of the chessbase.com Xmas puzzles. #5 - Video - January 4th, 2015
- 10 Daily Chess Puzzles #1 - Video - January 3rd, 2015
- The Best Chess Puzzles #27 The solution of the chessbase.com xmas puzzles #2. - Video - January 3rd, 2015
- 10 Daily Chess Puzzles #2 - Video - January 3rd, 2015
- The Best Chess Puzzles # 26 The solutions of the chessbase.com christmas puzzles #1 - Video - January 1st, 2015
- The Best Chess Puzzles #25 A cute mate in 3 for Xmas - Video - December 28th, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #24 a lovely mating attack. - Video - December 21st, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #22 A lovely kingside attack by Geller. - Video - December 16th, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #19 The hardest puzzle ever (?) - Video - December 3rd, 2014
- Tactical chess puzzles from 5 minute blitz games - Video - December 3rd, 2014
- Chess Puzzles #30 Checkmate in 3 moves - Video - November 27th, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #19 The "Benko-Riddle" - Video - November 26th, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #18 An easy mate in 4 by Lloyd. - Video - November 25th, 2014
- Cool Chess Puzzle #1 - Video - November 22nd, 2014
- The best chess puzzles# 17 A really fun study by the amazing Gady Costeff - Video - November 21st, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #16 Reti's amazing pawn ending revisited - Video - November 15th, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #14 A cute and clever mate in 3 puzzle for any skill level - Video - November 14th, 2014