By: Luke Kerr-Dineen January 22, 2021
Welcome to Play Smart, a new game-improvement column that drops every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from Director ofGame Improvement content Luke Kerr-Dineento help you play smarter, better golf.
I keep thinking about something GOLF Top 100 Teacher Jamie Mulligan told me at the 2020 Masters. We were watching his student, Patrick Cantlay, navigate his way around Augusta National, when I asked him to which other sport golf is most similar.
Golf is played more like chess, he said. Youre trying to think ahead and move your ball from position to position, safely.
Golfers think a lot about warming up. The best stretches to do and what clubs to hit all important things, undoubtedly. But for all the pontificating we do about the literal act of warming up, we hardly ever think about the best way to, well, think. And why shouldnt we? The brain is just another muscle, after all, and if golf mirrors the strategy-based game of chess, shouldnt we learn to warm up our brains just as we take time to warm up our bodies?
All of our market picks are independently selected and curated by the editorial team. If you buy a linked product, GOLF.COM may earn a fee. Pricing may vary.
Thats exactly the topic explored in a paper Attention game training effects on EEG and golf putting performance by researchers Chih Chia Chen and Debbie Crews, presented at the 2014 World Scientific Congress of Golf.
In the study, 21 golfers were hooked up to an Emotiv brain-wave measurer and split into the experimental and control groups. Each group hit 10 practice putts then took a 10-minute break, at which point the experimental group embarked on a mental-game exercise while the others simply rested. Once that concluded, the groups embarked on a putting test.
The learning: the group that took 10 minutes to warm-up their brain outperformed the other group across the board. They had significantly improved quality of feel and improved performance.
It appears that playing the attention mental training game prior to golf putting may enhance brain states and performance, the study concluded.
A quick warm-up of your brain, it turns out, can work wonders.
Warming-up your brain doesnt need to take long in order for you to reap the benefits from it, the study says.
Just take 10 minutes and play a brain game like Sudoku (heres a list of different brain games you can choose from) on your phone or iPad before you play. Youll be better focused, more attentive, and your scores will benefit from you being more mentally prepared, too.
Luke Kerr-Dineen is the Director of Game Improvement Content at GOLF Magazine and GOLF.com. In his role he oversees all the brands service journalism spanning instruction, equipment, health and fitness, across all of GOLFs multimedia platforms.
An alumni of the International Junior Golf Academy and the University of South CarolinaBeaufort golf team, where he helped them to No. 1 in the national NAIA rankings, Luke moved to New York in 2012 to pursue his Masters degree in Journalism from Columbia University and in 2017 was named News Media Alliances Rising Star. His work has also appeared in USA Today, Golf Digest, Newsweek and The Daily Beast.
Read more from the original source:
This surprising pre-round warm-up will improve your game, according to a study - Golf.com
- Will Your Dog Be the Smartest at the Park? PetSmart's Brain Games Training Course Can Help - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- How Isolation Can Affect Cognitive Function - Behavioral Health, Featured, Health Topics - Hackensack Meridian Health - April 4th, 2021
- Senior Centre Without Walls schedule for end of February features plenty of interesting topics - moosejawtoday.com - February 19th, 2021
- Dog Theft: Here's how help protect your dog from being stolen - Pontefract and Castleford Express - February 17th, 2021
- Stay sharp as you age in Park Slope with Touching Hearts NYC - PRUnderground - February 14th, 2021
- Keep your dog safely tucked up and away from thieves - JohnOGroat Journal - February 14th, 2021
- Adult day centers offer security and stimulation for older adults - The Oakland Press - February 11th, 2021
- The Best Board Game Cafes in Europe - Spotted by Locals - February 11th, 2021
- Breaking News - National Geographic Announces Spring 2021 Content Rollout at the Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour - The Futon Critic - February 11th, 2021
- Brain Games to Make You Sharper and More Focused at Work - Onrec - February 9th, 2021
- Adam Schefter says only two NFL teams courted Tom Brady last year, which seems pretty dumb in retrospect - GolfDigest.com - February 9th, 2021
- Breaking News - Bravo's "Top Chef" Returns for a New Season in Portland Kicking Off with a Supersized Episode on Thursday, April 1 at 8 PM... - February 9th, 2021
- Everything we know about Tom Bradys extreme diet and daily schedule - NEWS.com.au - February 9th, 2021
- Everything we know about Tom Brady's extreme diet and fitness routines - New York Post - February 7th, 2021
- Who is Bloom? - Midrand Reporter - February 6th, 2021
- Are You Feeling Very Stressed? These Tips Will Help You Relax - Entrepreneur - January 20th, 2021
- The best shows and movies on Disney+ right now - Stuff.co.nz - January 15th, 2021
- Welcoming the new year | Kodiak | newsminer.com - Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - January 9th, 2021
- Acing the numbers game - Deccan Herald - January 4th, 2021
- Keeping your mind sharp as you age to enjoy life - The Miami Times - December 31st, 2020
- If you want it, BPL's got it - Eagle News Online - December 31st, 2020
- The filmmakers behind Just Friends tell the story of their unconventional Christmas classic - The A.V. Club - December 20th, 2020
- Brain Games - Play Brain Games Online on Agame - December 18th, 2020
- BrainBox Games enters the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in what will be 'a huge year for the brand' - Toy News - December 17th, 2020
- Camilla opens the Duchess of Cornwall Kennels with a nob-traditional twist - Now To Love - December 10th, 2020
- Week 14 start/sit: Keke Coutee, Cole Kmet and more breakouts - The Athletic - December 9th, 2020
- Original Live Action-Animated Hybrid Series Gabby's Dollhouse Coming to Netflix - Red Tricycle - December 9th, 2020
- Amity International School - The Tribune India - December 9th, 2020
- New shows and movies to check out on Disney Plus this weekend | Curated - Daily Hive - December 6th, 2020
- How To Improve Overall Wellness | Info4u | indiawest.com - India West - December 1st, 2020
- Ana De Armas and Ben Afleck Spotted Kissing Eachother on Deep Waters Set - Stanford Arts Review - November 26th, 2020
- Can You Find the One Man Without a Mustache? - Reader's Digest - November 26th, 2020
- How to Get Smarter Every Day, According to Neuroscience | Inc.com - Inc. - November 25th, 2020
- Gordon W. Mitchell Schools Tori Cameron named Massachusetts STEM Teacher of the Year - Wicked Local - November 25th, 2020
- 20 Indian Shows That Took More Than Just 'Inspiration' From Foreign TV Series - ScoopWhoop - November 23rd, 2020
- FocusCalm, a Wearable Headband That Trains People to Reduce Their Stress, Launches on Kickstarter - PR Web - November 19th, 2020
- Try This and Not That for A Better Memory - Bel Marra Health - November 19th, 2020
- The surprising health benefits of a crossword - Telegraph.co.uk - November 15th, 2020
- Values judgment: embracing the things that unite us is key to a better future for all - Arab News - November 11th, 2020
- STEM teacher of the year: Learn from something not working the first time - The Boston Globe - November 6th, 2020
- The Six Best Apps For A Mental Workout - The Weekly Journal - November 5th, 2020
- 5 tips to the secrets to aging well - Press-Enterprise - November 5th, 2020
- 3 Ways To Improve Brain Health During The Pandemic - Forbes - November 3rd, 2020
- Fun Brain Teasers That Will Stump Your Brain | Videos | fltimes.com - Finger Lakes Times - October 30th, 2020
- Here Is What You Can Expect From Mirzapur 2 - Gulte - October 28th, 2020
- Matt Del Vecchio: Calling all snowbirds. What to do this winter? - The Suburban Newspaper - October 22nd, 2020
- Improve Your Cognitive Health with This Brain-Training App - Thehour.com - October 20th, 2020
- Google launches the second cohort of Gaming Growth Lab acceleration program - CTech - October 20th, 2020
- Powerful Tips For Your Child To Grow With Benefits Of Gaming In Lockdown | Inventiva - Inventiva - October 17th, 2020
- Give your mind a workout with this brain training app on sale - Mashable - October 15th, 2020
- Take Your Mental Fitness to the Next Level with Scientifically-Backed Brain Games - IGN Nordic - October 15th, 2020
- Free Brain Games Online | No Downloads Necessary - October 13th, 2020
- Brain Games: How to deal with the uncertainty of the 2020 NFL season and not throw in the towel - The Athletic - October 13th, 2020
- North Suburban YMCA Honored with Adult Education Programming Award - Chicago Daily Herald - October 13th, 2020
- The Things You Can Do Every Day to Make Yourself Smarter - Bel Marra Health - October 10th, 2020
- Brain Games: Baker Mayfield, Tim Patrick and avoiding outcome bias with outlier performances - The Athletic - October 6th, 2020
- Brain Games: Weighing in on rookies Tee Higgins, Justin Jefferson, and many more - The Athletic - September 30th, 2020
- Kids Corner - The Tribune - September 30th, 2020
- Breaking News - Bravo's Emmy and James Beard Award-Winning Culinary Competition Series "Top Chef" to Showcase Portland for Season 18 - The... - September 29th, 2020
- The surprising hobby one brain doctor swears by to keep negative thoughts at bay - AOL - September 26th, 2020
- Innovative Programming for Adults with Memory Impairment Gives Participants Purpose and Meaning - PRNewswire - September 26th, 2020
- The Surprising Hobby One Brain Doctor Swears by to Keep Negative Thoughts at Bay - PureWow - September 25th, 2020
- Brain Games: Kareem Hunt among Week 2 standouts joining the circle of trust - The Athletic - September 22nd, 2020
- Monument senior living community develops in-house TV programming to connect with residents during COVID-19 - Colorado Springs Gazette - September 22nd, 2020
- What's Coming To Disney+ This Week (Australia/New Zealand) | Secret Society Of Second Born Royals - What's On Disney Plus - September 21st, 2020
- Brain Games: Avoiding outcome bias for the surprising stars of Week 1 - theathletic.com - September 20th, 2020
- Be the change - The Tribune - September 20th, 2020
- Renee Miller: at the crossroads of neuroscience and fantasy sports - Campus Times - September 14th, 2020
- The brain teaser that kids can solve more quickly than adults - ABC 4 - September 14th, 2020
- Retirement communities use technology, creativity to keep residents well and connected - Fly Magazine - September 14th, 2020
- 23 Facts About Your Brain That Will Blow Your Mind - Best Life - September 12th, 2020
- Literary Links: Puzzle over these reads on leisure time - Columbia Daily Tribune - September 11th, 2020
- St. Augustine's Paulette Kozlowski serves individuals with dementia and caregivers - St. Augustine Record - September 8th, 2020
- Production wrapped on SEEDLAND Group's "Forging the Future" with Al Roker Entertainment - SHOOT Online - September 8th, 2020
- Theres no harm in asking an innocent question The Manila Times - The Manila Times - September 8th, 2020
- Children'S Toy Market 2020 How the Market has witnessed Substantial Growth in Recent Years? - Scientect - September 6th, 2020
- Brain games: Norepinephrine, the pre-frontal cortex and the draft room chat - The Athletic - September 3rd, 2020
- Brain Games: The Law of Non-Contradiction and how it applies to fantasy football - The Athletic - August 28th, 2020
- 7 Binge-Worthy Disney+ Live Action Series And 7 Missing - What's On Disney Plus - August 28th, 2020
- Brain Games: How to mess with your leaguemates minds on draft day - The Athletic - August 26th, 2020