From working with dogs to piano music to homemade vintage toys, interesting events abound for phone-in program
As it turns out, things have grown exponentially in the time since.
Around 42 seniors frm throughout the province are now regular users of the program, which is all run through phone calls not dissimilar to the old party-line systems of yesteryear. And theyre receiving the kind of programming that generates all sorts of interest, with the slate of calls for the final two weeks of the month covering a wide gamut of interesting topics -- from working with dogs to old-time toys and regular trivia sessions, its all led to rapid growth in popularity for the program.
People have been saying theyre really enjoying it, its helping their mental health especially with everything thats going on, said Ronda Wedhorn with the SWCC.
The best part of it all? Its all completely free.
Every speaker who takes part is a volunteer, and even when the Moose Jaw Museum and Art Gallery gets involved and holds craft sessions, supplies are sent out to participants so they can follow along.
Thats all because of a handful of grants the SWCC has received and continue to seek, as well as a generous donation from the SaskTel Pioneers. If they continue to grow as much as they have, theyre hoping to eventually become a self-sufficient entity with a permanent position running the whole thing, says Wedhorn.
Regardless, the SWCC plans to continue to offer their non-profit services as long as they can, especially with so many folks enjoying what they have to offer.
Dog Behaviours, Derek Snow from No Dog Left Behind
Snow will talk about dog behaviours and give information about dogs and why that act as they do. Have you always wondered why your dog did something that way? Bring your questions to class.
Old Time Country Piano Music
Join musician Lorne Jackson as he plays a variety of Old-Time Country music from years past. Songs that our parents and grandparents (as well as some of us) grew up listening to. Find a sunny warm place in your home. Make a cup of tea. Settle in a comfy chair with a warm blanket, and spend the hour relaxing and listening to the piano. Feel free to sing along!
Fact or Fiction!
Join Myrna as she tells you a strange and interesting story and you tell her do you think Myrna is telling the facts or is it fiction?
Toys and Past Times
Karla Rasmussen, Education and Public Progra.m.s Coordinator with the Western Development Museum will offer tales from before the times of mass production and store-bought toys and how many young people made their own fun from items found around the house. We will look at how people enjoyed playing and staying active during Saskatchewan's settlement period and beyond. Reminisce and remember about a time when riding bicycles, shooting marbles and playing hopscotch were more popular than television and video games.
Stories of Your Life
A continuation of the stories we can write about our lives. With Anne Patton. Bring your homework to class and paper and pen.
Wednesday, Feb. 24 10:30 a.m.
Brain Games with Donna Kostal
Donna is back to do some trivia with us and keep our mind active!
Thursday, Feb. 25 10:30 a.m.
Join the Osteoporosis society as they give us information. Osteoporosis is a disease characterized by low bone mass and deterioration of bone tissue, which can lead to increased risk of fracture. Known as the silent thief, bone deterioration can occur over a number of years without presenting any symptoms. Unfortunately, if detected at the time of a break, the disease is already fairly advanced. The most common fractures associated with osteoporosis are in the hip, spine, wrist, and shoulder. Today, no single cause for osteoporosis has been identified.
Friday, Feb. 26 10:30 a.m.
Old Time Country Piano Music
Join Lorne Jackson as he plays a variety of old-time country music from years past.
Friday, Feb. 26 1:00 p.m.
Coffee Chat Visit for 30 minutes and then Card Bingo for 30 minutes.
Join Myrna as she picks the topic and we spend an hour of positive uplifting conversation and laughter!
Read more from the original source:
Senior Centre Without Walls schedule for end of February features plenty of interesting topics - moosejawtoday.com
- $44M USF Partnership With Lakeland Center For Brain Research - Patch.com - April 18th, 2021
- LearningRx Explains the Benefits of 1-on-1 Brain Training for Children on the Autism Spectrum - PRNewswire - April 18th, 2021
- Will Your Dog Be the Smartest at the Park? PetSmart's Brain Games Training Course Can Help - PRNewswire - April 4th, 2021
- How Isolation Can Affect Cognitive Function - Behavioral Health, Featured, Health Topics - Hackensack Meridian Health - April 4th, 2021
- Dog Theft: Here's how help protect your dog from being stolen - Pontefract and Castleford Express - February 17th, 2021
- Stay sharp as you age in Park Slope with Touching Hearts NYC - PRUnderground - February 14th, 2021
- Keep your dog safely tucked up and away from thieves - JohnOGroat Journal - February 14th, 2021
- Adult day centers offer security and stimulation for older adults - The Oakland Press - February 11th, 2021
- The Best Board Game Cafes in Europe - Spotted by Locals - February 11th, 2021
- Breaking News - National Geographic Announces Spring 2021 Content Rollout at the Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour - The Futon Critic - February 11th, 2021
- Brain Games to Make You Sharper and More Focused at Work - Onrec - February 9th, 2021
- Adam Schefter says only two NFL teams courted Tom Brady last year, which seems pretty dumb in retrospect - GolfDigest.com - February 9th, 2021
- Breaking News - Bravo's "Top Chef" Returns for a New Season in Portland Kicking Off with a Supersized Episode on Thursday, April 1 at 8 PM... - February 9th, 2021
- Everything we know about Tom Bradys extreme diet and daily schedule - NEWS.com.au - February 9th, 2021
- Everything we know about Tom Brady's extreme diet and fitness routines - New York Post - February 7th, 2021
- Who is Bloom? - Midrand Reporter - February 6th, 2021
- This surprising pre-round warm-up will improve your game, according to a study - Golf.com - January 22nd, 2021
- Are You Feeling Very Stressed? These Tips Will Help You Relax - Entrepreneur - January 20th, 2021
- The best shows and movies on Disney+ right now - Stuff.co.nz - January 15th, 2021
- Welcoming the new year | Kodiak | newsminer.com - Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - January 9th, 2021
- Acing the numbers game - Deccan Herald - January 4th, 2021
- Keeping your mind sharp as you age to enjoy life - The Miami Times - December 31st, 2020
- If you want it, BPL's got it - Eagle News Online - December 31st, 2020
- The filmmakers behind Just Friends tell the story of their unconventional Christmas classic - The A.V. Club - December 20th, 2020
- Brain Games - Play Brain Games Online on Agame - December 18th, 2020
- BrainBox Games enters the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in what will be 'a huge year for the brand' - Toy News - December 17th, 2020
- Camilla opens the Duchess of Cornwall Kennels with a nob-traditional twist - Now To Love - December 10th, 2020
- Week 14 start/sit: Keke Coutee, Cole Kmet and more breakouts - The Athletic - December 9th, 2020
- Original Live Action-Animated Hybrid Series Gabby's Dollhouse Coming to Netflix - Red Tricycle - December 9th, 2020
- Amity International School - The Tribune India - December 9th, 2020
- New shows and movies to check out on Disney Plus this weekend | Curated - Daily Hive - December 6th, 2020
- How To Improve Overall Wellness | Info4u | indiawest.com - India West - December 1st, 2020
- Ana De Armas and Ben Afleck Spotted Kissing Eachother on Deep Waters Set - Stanford Arts Review - November 26th, 2020
- Can You Find the One Man Without a Mustache? - Reader's Digest - November 26th, 2020
- How to Get Smarter Every Day, According to Neuroscience | Inc.com - Inc. - November 25th, 2020
- Gordon W. Mitchell Schools Tori Cameron named Massachusetts STEM Teacher of the Year - Wicked Local - November 25th, 2020
- 20 Indian Shows That Took More Than Just 'Inspiration' From Foreign TV Series - ScoopWhoop - November 23rd, 2020
- FocusCalm, a Wearable Headband That Trains People to Reduce Their Stress, Launches on Kickstarter - PR Web - November 19th, 2020
- Try This and Not That for A Better Memory - Bel Marra Health - November 19th, 2020
- The surprising health benefits of a crossword - Telegraph.co.uk - November 15th, 2020
- Values judgment: embracing the things that unite us is key to a better future for all - Arab News - November 11th, 2020
- STEM teacher of the year: Learn from something not working the first time - The Boston Globe - November 6th, 2020
- The Six Best Apps For A Mental Workout - The Weekly Journal - November 5th, 2020
- 5 tips to the secrets to aging well - Press-Enterprise - November 5th, 2020
- 3 Ways To Improve Brain Health During The Pandemic - Forbes - November 3rd, 2020
- Fun Brain Teasers That Will Stump Your Brain | Videos | fltimes.com - Finger Lakes Times - October 30th, 2020
- Here Is What You Can Expect From Mirzapur 2 - Gulte - October 28th, 2020
- Matt Del Vecchio: Calling all snowbirds. What to do this winter? - The Suburban Newspaper - October 22nd, 2020
- Improve Your Cognitive Health with This Brain-Training App - Thehour.com - October 20th, 2020
- Google launches the second cohort of Gaming Growth Lab acceleration program - CTech - October 20th, 2020
- Powerful Tips For Your Child To Grow With Benefits Of Gaming In Lockdown | Inventiva - Inventiva - October 17th, 2020
- Give your mind a workout with this brain training app on sale - Mashable - October 15th, 2020
- Take Your Mental Fitness to the Next Level with Scientifically-Backed Brain Games - IGN Nordic - October 15th, 2020
- Free Brain Games Online | No Downloads Necessary - October 13th, 2020
- Brain Games: How to deal with the uncertainty of the 2020 NFL season and not throw in the towel - The Athletic - October 13th, 2020
- North Suburban YMCA Honored with Adult Education Programming Award - Chicago Daily Herald - October 13th, 2020
- The Things You Can Do Every Day to Make Yourself Smarter - Bel Marra Health - October 10th, 2020
- Brain Games: Baker Mayfield, Tim Patrick and avoiding outcome bias with outlier performances - The Athletic - October 6th, 2020
- Brain Games: Weighing in on rookies Tee Higgins, Justin Jefferson, and many more - The Athletic - September 30th, 2020
- Kids Corner - The Tribune - September 30th, 2020
- Breaking News - Bravo's Emmy and James Beard Award-Winning Culinary Competition Series "Top Chef" to Showcase Portland for Season 18 - The... - September 29th, 2020
- The surprising hobby one brain doctor swears by to keep negative thoughts at bay - AOL - September 26th, 2020
- Innovative Programming for Adults with Memory Impairment Gives Participants Purpose and Meaning - PRNewswire - September 26th, 2020
- The Surprising Hobby One Brain Doctor Swears by to Keep Negative Thoughts at Bay - PureWow - September 25th, 2020
- Brain Games: Kareem Hunt among Week 2 standouts joining the circle of trust - The Athletic - September 22nd, 2020
- Monument senior living community develops in-house TV programming to connect with residents during COVID-19 - Colorado Springs Gazette - September 22nd, 2020
- What's Coming To Disney+ This Week (Australia/New Zealand) | Secret Society Of Second Born Royals - What's On Disney Plus - September 21st, 2020
- Brain Games: Avoiding outcome bias for the surprising stars of Week 1 - theathletic.com - September 20th, 2020
- Be the change - The Tribune - September 20th, 2020
- Renee Miller: at the crossroads of neuroscience and fantasy sports - Campus Times - September 14th, 2020
- The brain teaser that kids can solve more quickly than adults - ABC 4 - September 14th, 2020
- Retirement communities use technology, creativity to keep residents well and connected - Fly Magazine - September 14th, 2020
- 23 Facts About Your Brain That Will Blow Your Mind - Best Life - September 12th, 2020
- Literary Links: Puzzle over these reads on leisure time - Columbia Daily Tribune - September 11th, 2020
- St. Augustine's Paulette Kozlowski serves individuals with dementia and caregivers - St. Augustine Record - September 8th, 2020
- Production wrapped on SEEDLAND Group's "Forging the Future" with Al Roker Entertainment - SHOOT Online - September 8th, 2020
- Theres no harm in asking an innocent question The Manila Times - The Manila Times - September 8th, 2020
- Children'S Toy Market 2020 How the Market has witnessed Substantial Growth in Recent Years? - Scientect - September 6th, 2020
- Brain games: Norepinephrine, the pre-frontal cortex and the draft room chat - The Athletic - September 3rd, 2020
- Brain Games: The Law of Non-Contradiction and how it applies to fantasy football - The Athletic - August 28th, 2020