As we get older, our cognitive abilities start to decline. It becomes essential to stay active and keep ourselves mentally fit.
Its common knowledge that you need to exercise to keep your body healthy. Likewise, its necessary to exercise your mind to keep it sharp.
The key is to challenge yourself mentally to boost your memory and build more gray matter over time. When you present your mind with a challenging activity, you light up more pathways in your brain. You create new neural connections that help keep your mind youthful.
There are many activities that can stimulate your brain and help it grow. Lets look at some ways you can challenge your mind every day so that it remains vital and alert.
As an adult, learning a new language is one of the most challenging things you can do. Youre likely to feel frustration and discomfort as you build your vocabulary and learn new grammar,
It will take a long time to see any progress or improvements. However, whether you become fluent at a new language or not, your mind will see cognitive benefits.
Learning a new language engages many parts of your brain. It creates connections between these areas and leads to higher mental functioning. Research suggests that learning a new language can delay the onset of dementia and Alzheimers.
When it comes to keeping mentally fit, focus on learning every day even if you find it slow. Being able to speak in another language is rewarding on its own, but the benefits it brings your mind are more important.
Mental exercise in the form of games can keep our brains young and fit. Try to play brain games to activate your neural circuits and boost your mental acuity.
Focus on crossword puzzles and logical thinking games to boost the left side of your brain that controls language and reasoning. You can work on jigsaw puzzles, mazes, and other visual games that will tease your right brain, which is in charge of visual skills.
Brain games can sharpen your reaction time, improve short-term memory and enhance your minds processing speed.
Try to play brain games every day to stay mentally fit and active. You can make it a habit by doing it with some other daily routine. Work on a reasoning skill challenge on your commute, or do a crossword puzzle when you have your morning coffee.
Today, its possible to learn almost anything you want online. There are many platforms offering free and premium online courses to help you develop skills. Learning a new skill or subject can challenge you and boost your mental fitness.
Its a simple way to keep your mind active since you can access an online course on any device. You can pick up something that builds on what you know or try something entirely new.
Doing an online course can not only expand your mind, but it can also give you the skills to switch careers or start a new business.
There are many subjects that can challenge you and give you marketable skills. Try coding, learning excel, or building a website. You can also study history, music, creative writing and much more to help you develop new skills.
Writing is an activity that can make you more creative. Whether you write by hand or type on a keyboard, the act of writing stimulates your brain. It engages different parts of the brain and boosts your cognitive functioning.
Make it a habit to write every day. You can begin by writing in your journal daily. There are other outlets as well, such as starting a blog, writing poems, or taking an online writing course.
Writing is a simple but effective way that engages your vision, hand, and mind to create stories and content. Use it to enhance your creativity, improve memory, and stay sharp.
Studies have found that meditation increases gray matter in the brain. Its a powerful way to lower stress and anxiety.
If youre someone with a short attention span, then learning to meditate can be quite challenging.
It takes time and practice to be able to sit still and watch ones thoughts over a long period of time. Its a powerful way to grow and manage your feelings. Learn to meditate and youll retain your cognitive abilities over time.
It can be uncomfortable to challenge yourself mentally. But its the discomfort and new information that keeps you from becoming forgetful and dull as you grow older.
Use these tips to stay mentally active, but also ensure that you have a healthy lifestyle by eating good food and exercising.
Staying fit and strong in mind and body will enable you to live a fulfilling and happier life.
Here is the original post:
5 Ways To Challenge Your Mind And Stay Youthful - Thrive Global
- Nat Geo Brain Games Reveals The Mysteries Of How Your Brain Works - Forbes - January 22nd, 2020
- These three new brain games will improve your intellectual skills - Somerset Live - January 22nd, 2020
- 10 Games To Play If You Like Brain Training | TheGamer - TheGamer - January 22nd, 2020
- Magical Elves Names Joel Zimmer Head Of Development, Ups Samantha Hanks To Head Of Casting & Talent Relations - Deadline - January 22nd, 2020
- Brain Games free live stream: How to watch online without cable - nj.com - January 21st, 2020
- SPY GAMES' AND 'LONE STAR,' OH MY - The Republic - January 21st, 2020
- New 'Brain Games' Host Keegan-Michael Key on the Star Power of the Reboot - TVInsider - January 20th, 2020
- Brain Games Hints At Way Forward - themediatimes - January 20th, 2020
- Kevin McDonough's 'Tune in Tonight': 'Spy Games' and 'Lone Star' oh my - The Union Leader - January 20th, 2020
- Tune in Tonight: Spy Games and Lone Star, oh my - Daily Commercial - January 20th, 2020
- 9-1-1: Lone Star is Ready to Make Waves in its Regular Timeslot - PRIMETIMER - January 20th, 2020
- 'Star Trek: Picard,' Grammys: What to Watch and Stream, Jan. 20-26 - Hollywood Reporter - January 19th, 2020
- 3 brain games boost memory, focus, and flexible thinking - Futurity: Research News - January 18th, 2020
- Nat Geo Renews Brain Games & Running Wild With Bear Grylls TCA - Deadline - January 18th, 2020
- Whats on TV This Week: Awkwafina, 'Avenue 5,' 'Star Trek: Picard' and more - Los Angeles Times - January 18th, 2020
- The TVLine-Up: What's Returning, New and Leaving the Week of Jan. 19 - TVLine - January 18th, 2020
- Dog of the Week: Clever Meadows loves brain games and treats - Dublin Live - January 16th, 2020
- Barks and Recreation dog daycare slated to open mid-February - Freeport Journal-Standard - January 12th, 2020
- Why I'm ready to quit bad-mouthing brain games - GoCogno.com - January 11th, 2020
- How could my wife have Alzheimers? She was only 56. - The Boston Globe - January 8th, 2020
- Jason Silva has some interesting, but potentially eyeroll-inducing, things to say about cannabis - The GrowthOp - December 31st, 2019
- Quizmaster 2019: Meet the cast of famous brainiacs Eric Monkman, Pat Gibson, Kevin Ashman! - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - December 29th, 2019
- Happy New Year to one and all! - The Union of Grass Valley - December 27th, 2019
- Smartphone apps: can they improve our mental health? - BBC Focus Magazine - December 27th, 2019
- Tes Scotland's 10 people of the year: Chris Smith - TES News - December 24th, 2019
- Five events for kids happening on Long Island next week - Entertainment - The Island Now - December 23rd, 2019
- Amazon has puzzles and education toys for up to 35% off today from under $6 - 9to5Toys - December 22nd, 2019
- Parents pay thousands for 'brain training' to help kids with ADHD and autism. But does it work? - NBCNews.com - December 21st, 2019
- From Brain Games to the philosophy of the future: Jason Silva - Daily Sabah - December 19th, 2019
- See What's Coming to NatGeo's End-of-Year Programming - Broadway World - December 19th, 2019
- Review: Hang Out With John Mulaney & the Sack Lunch Bunch - The Spool - December 19th, 2019
- On the calendar this week | News, Sports, Jobs - SalemNews.net - December 19th, 2019
- Breaking News - When Are Your Favorite CW Shows Back from the Holidays? - The Futon Critic - December 19th, 2019
- Killing Games Sweep the Internet (FPS/Action/War/Fighting) - Mighty Gadget - December 19th, 2019
- Exclusive Look at Brain Games as Tiffany Haddish Gets Tied Up! - E! Online - December 17th, 2019
- 5 People Whose Brain Injuries Gave Them New Abilities - Reader's Digest - December 16th, 2019
- Brain games: Non-obvious quarterbacks to consider starting in Week 14 - The Athletic - December 6th, 2019
- Dog of the Week: Meet Max-Mali, an intelligent Belgian Shepherd - Dublin Gazette - December 5th, 2019
- Chicago Toy & Game Week Honors 2019 TAGIE Award Winners - The Toy Book - December 3rd, 2019
- Medicare annual enrollment going on now - KSDK.com - December 3rd, 2019
- From the cowboy suits of Christmas past to today's shopping on line - The Irish News - December 2nd, 2019
- Dog of the Week: Handsome Max-Mali loves cuddles and adventures - Dublin Live - December 2nd, 2019
- Stamford Stand Up Comedy Night with Chris James And Friends - Patch.com - November 30th, 2019
- TELEVISION: Philly's Thanksgiving Parade having fun while celebrating 100th birthday - Bucks Local News - November 30th, 2019
- Television: Philly's Thanksgiving Parade having fun while celebrating 100th birthday - The Delaware County Daily Times - November 25th, 2019
- On the Calendar | News, Sports, Jobs - SalemNews.net - November 22nd, 2019
- You Docs: When your good med does bad things - Roanoke Times - November 20th, 2019
- Experts: Alzheimer's treatment, prevention depend on the brain - Northern Virginia Daily - November 20th, 2019
- Young people urged to embrace 'awe' - Gulf Times - November 20th, 2019
- Are Shrooms And Other Psychedelics The Next Big Thing? This Former Biogen And Pfizer Exec Thinks So - Forbes - November 18th, 2019
- The Amazon Toy Catalog Is the Stuff of Dreams and Every Kid Should Get One - Fatherly - November 18th, 2019
- HEALTH AND FITNESS: Be active, even when you're not! - Aiken Standard - November 18th, 2019
- Disney+ just launched with more than 50 National Geographic documentaries and docuseries - OregonLive - November 17th, 2019
- Things to do in CT starting Nov. 27, 2019 - New Haven Register - November 15th, 2019
- Act 2: Creating apps that promote health and wellness - Newsday - November 15th, 2019
- Disney+: Every TV Series Available to Stream - Decider - November 15th, 2019
- Don't Play With The Ouija Board- It Lies - University Observer Online - November 15th, 2019
- Disney+ just launched with more than 50 National Geographic documentaries and docuseries - PennLive - November 12th, 2019
- Disney+ Launches: Everything You Can Stream - RADIO.COM - November 12th, 2019
- Making a difference in the treatment and prevention of Alzheimers Disease - WJBF-TV - November 11th, 2019
- Brain Games at the Long Beach Island Library - By Pattie McIntyre - The SandPaper - November 10th, 2019
- Things to do in CT starting Nov. 10, 2019 - New Haven Register - November 9th, 2019
- Anime NYC 2019 Offer Diverse New Activities to Fans at Third Annual Japanese Pop Culture Convention - Anime News Network - November 9th, 2019
- 3 Potential Causes and Risks of Alzheimer's - Counsel & Heal - November 9th, 2019
- Every Single Thing Coming To Disney+ At Launch Date - klaq.com - November 7th, 2019
- WESTFORD PARKS AND RECREATION - News - Westford Eagle - November 5th, 2019
- Just in time for the holidays: The new PetChatz HDX raises the bar on video-based, pet care technology - PR Web - November 5th, 2019
- Stamford Stand Up Comedy Night with Shaun Murphy And Friends - Patch.com - November 3rd, 2019
- The Weekend Room: Brands, ads, marketing gimmicks that matters to advertisers - ET BrandEquity - ETBrandEquity.com - November 2nd, 2019
- Can You Find the Ghost Hidden Among the Skeletons in This Tricky Brainteaser? - msnNOW - October 22nd, 2019
- Vested Summit kicks off in Egypt on Nov. 9 - Egypttoday - October 20th, 2019
- Back to school and back to the Frank Sarris Public Library - Observer-Reporter - October 20th, 2019
- With Playhouse Square-bound 'Secrets & Illusions,' illusionist Ivan Amodei really wants to take you to a new place - News-Herald.com - October 18th, 2019
- Brain Training Games Market Report with Market Insights, Growth Opportunity, Recent Trends and Technology in 2019: Elevate, Lumosity, Posit Science,... - October 16th, 2019
- Literally Everything Coming to Disney+ at Launch - Nerdist - October 15th, 2019
- Religion and the Brain - Psychology Today - October 15th, 2019
- How to Win Tic-Tac-Toe Every Time - Reader's Digest - October 15th, 2019
- Why Tom Brady's Controversial Approach To Fitness Is Changing The Game - Men's Health - October 14th, 2019
- 4 Keywords To Keep An Eye Out For In The Premiere Of Leverage - soompi - October 13th, 2019
- How to Win Tic-Tac-Toe: The Strategies You Need to Master - msnNOW - October 12th, 2019