Kireka Chess Club player Shakira Ampaire has declared herself ready for the forthcoming Zone 4.2 African Individual Chess Championships that commence thirteen days from now at the Central Hotel, Jimma Ethiopia.
Ampaire, a league winner with Kireka last season secured her ticket to this years edition last month following her fourth-place finish at the Zonal Qualifiers.
In an interview with Kawowo Sports, Ampaire said: Im ready for this. I have been preparing for this mentally and training wise since last year.
But that doesnt mean I have stopped training. When you are preparing for tournaments like this, you prepare as much as you can. Sometimes you feel you want to do more and more thats why even Grand Masters prepare every day and before every game no matter how good they are. You cant prepare enough to be comfortable.
The 26-year-old says she uses video tutorials from International Chess Coaches and Grand Masters to analyse different strategic moves and also chess puzzles for her training.
And like any competitive mind, Ampaire who was MVP National University Sports Federation Uganda [NUSFU] in 2013 has her targets in Ethiopia set already.
She said: The target is to increase my rating and at a minimum, acquire a Woman Fide Master title. Victory for me in Ethiopia would be acquiring that title or more.
Who gets awarded at the Zonal Championships?
At the Zonal Championships, one must emerge champion in the Open category to earn the International Master [IM] or in the Women category to earn the Woman International Master [WIM] title.
For the FM or WFM title, the player must garner at least six points from nine games, and the Candidate Master [CM] or Woman Candidate Master [WCM] title goes to that player who collects at least 4.5 points.
Ampaires performance at continental level
Last year in July at the African Individual Chess Championships held here in Kampala, Ampaire finished 20th with 3.5 points. The rated 1423 managed just a couple of victories, drew thrice and lost as many games.
That was after she had missed an opportunity to attain the CM title following her ninth-place finish with 4 points at the Zonal Championships held in Dar es Salaam in April.
Asked whether she has improved since then, Ampaire said Yes! So much. I played with stronger players and got to learn from most of my mistakes so I have improved my game. I like to think of myself as a winner because I always come back up each time I am defeated and try to better myself.
After my game with the Angolan WIM (Domingos Maria M who she lost to in the final round at the Individuals) she showed me my blunder and how I was so close to drawing the game against her. So that showed me that I should believe in myself more and not worry about my lower rating when playing against the stronger players because they are also beatable.
Last year, I missed getting the title by a point in the Zonals. Thats why I want to do better this time around.
How she fared against stronger opponents at the African Individuals.
Ampaire drew against the South African duo of WCM Fisher Michelle M with a higher rating of 1696 and Van Niekerk Robyn Julian rated 1670, and claimed victory over Kenyan WCM Joyce Nyaruai .
She lost to the Angolan WIM Domingos Maria M , WFMs Goretti Angolikin  and Christine Namaganda  her fellow Ugandans.
Read this article:
Shakira Ampaire all set for the Zonal Championships - Kawowo Sports
- Chess puzzles - chess.cool - September 11th, 2019
- Chess Puzzles 43-44 for Kids | Mate in 1 | Queen-Bishop ... - September 21st, 2017
- Why the world's toughest maths problems are much harder than a chess puzzle, and well worth US$1m - The Conversation UK - September 6th, 2017
- Can You Solve the Million-Dollar, Unsolvable Chess Problem? - Atlas Obscura - September 2nd, 2017
- Young Marape shines in Zimbabwe - Mmegi Online - August 30th, 2017
- Chess Ultra Makes A Move On Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Insider - August 7th, 2017
- Checkmate is possible when Chess Ultra comes to Switch - Vooks - August 6th, 2017
- Chess Ultra Coming To Nintendo Switch; New Trailer Released - DualShockers - August 2nd, 2017
- Small-Business Success Story: Learners Chess Academy - Kiplinger Personal Finance - August 1st, 2017
- Feature story: Lauren Goodkind plays, teaches and writes about chess - The Almanac Online - July 13th, 2017
- Solve Puzzles (And Sometimes Crime) In Picross Dating Sim - Kotaku - July 6th, 2017
- Play Chess For Your Soul In Chess Ultra - VRFocus - June 21st, 2017
- 8 must-see indie Xbox and PC games you may have missed at E3 2017 - Windows Central - June 20th, 2017
- Chess Ultra is now available for pre-order on Xbox One - OnMSFT (blog) - June 9th, 2017
- Chess Ultra release date announced for Xbox One to go alongside ... - TheXboxHub (blog) - June 7th, 2017
- Play the Grim Reaper and Save Your Soul in Chess Ultra This ... - VRFocus - June 7th, 2017
- On Chess: Are chess books dying? - St. Louis Public Radio - May 18th, 2017
- On Chess: Are Chess Books Dying? - KBIA - May 17th, 2017
- New data show most drivers use handheld devices - The Salinas Californian - April 28th, 2017
- Can You Outsmart Our Elementary School Math Problems? - FiveThirtyEight - April 7th, 2017
- Desktop v Mobile the best platforms for online gaming - Live in Limbo - March 23rd, 2017
- 'Chess Ultra' is Bringing its Luxurious Game Environments to PSVR, Oculus Rift, and HTC Vive - Road to VR - March 15th, 2017
- Chess Puzzles - 365Chess.com - November 25th, 2016
- Chess Problems, Puzzles, & Compositions - Chessopolis - November 15th, 2016
- Chess puzzle - Wikipedia - October 25th, 2016
- Chess Puzzles | Brilliant Math & Science Wiki - September 8th, 2016
- Home | Chess Puzzles! - June 20th, 2016
- Chess Puzzles | Solve Chess Problems and Compositions ... - September 28th, 2015
- IM Daniel Rensch Plays Beat The Clock With Chess Puzzles - Video - April 28th, 2015
- How to Solve Chess Puzzles #23 - Video - April 22nd, 2015
- How to Solve Chess Puzzles #22 - Video - April 17th, 2015
- Your Daily Chess Puzzles: April 8th, 9th and 10th 2015! - Video - April 13th, 2015
- Your Daily Chess Puzzles: April 5th and 6th 2015! - Video - April 10th, 2015
- Your Daily Chess Puzzles: April 3rd and 4th 2015! - Video - April 10th, 2015
- Solving Chess Puzzles #1 - Video - March 23rd, 2015
- How to solve Chess Puzzles: Chessworld.net Puzzle Practice #29 - Video - March 7th, 2015
- How to solve Chess Puzzles: Chessworld.net Puzzle Practice #28 - "Forcing moves force cooperation!" - Video - February 24th, 2015
- How to solve Chess Puzzles: Chessworld.net Puzzle Practice #26 - Video - February 19th, 2015
- How to solve Chess Puzzles: Chessworld.net Puzzle Practice #27 - Video - February 19th, 2015
- How to Solve Chess Puzzles #21 - Video - January 31st, 2015
- How to solve Chess Puzzles: Chessworld.net Puzzle Practice #25 - Video - January 30th, 2015
- How to solve Chess Puzzles: Chessworld.net Puzzle Practice #24 - Video - January 29th, 2015
- How to solve Chess Puzzles: Chessworld.net Puzzle Practice #23 - Video - January 29th, 2015
- Alice: Madness Returns [Part 6] - Chess Puzzles - Video - January 18th, 2015
- The Best Chess Puzzles #33 The solutions of the chessbase.com Xmas puzzles - Video - January 11th, 2015
- How to solve Chess Puzzles: Chessworld.net Puzzle Practice #22 - Video - January 10th, 2015
- The best chess puzzles #32 The solutions of the chessbase.com Xmas puzzles #7-8 - Video - January 10th, 2015
- The best chess puzzles #31 The solutions of the chessbase.com Xmas puzzles #6 - Video - January 7th, 2015
- The Best Chess Puzzles #29 The solution of the chessbase.com Xmas puzzles #4 - Video - January 5th, 2015
- The Best Chess Puzzles #28 The solution of the chessbase.com Xmas puzzles #3 - Video - January 4th, 2015
- The best chess puzzles #30 The soluton of the chessbase.com Xmas puzzles. #5 - Video - January 4th, 2015
- 10 Daily Chess Puzzles #1 - Video - January 3rd, 2015
- The Best Chess Puzzles #27 The solution of the chessbase.com xmas puzzles #2. - Video - January 3rd, 2015
- 10 Daily Chess Puzzles #2 - Video - January 3rd, 2015
- The Best Chess Puzzles # 26 The solutions of the chessbase.com christmas puzzles #1 - Video - January 1st, 2015
- The Best Chess Puzzles #25 A cute mate in 3 for Xmas - Video - December 28th, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #24 a lovely mating attack. - Video - December 21st, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #22 A lovely kingside attack by Geller. - Video - December 16th, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #19 The hardest puzzle ever (?) - Video - December 3rd, 2014
- Tactical chess puzzles from 5 minute blitz games - Video - December 3rd, 2014
- Chess Puzzles #30 Checkmate in 3 moves - Video - November 27th, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #19 The "Benko-Riddle" - Video - November 26th, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #18 An easy mate in 4 by Lloyd. - Video - November 25th, 2014
- Cool Chess Puzzle #1 - Video - November 22nd, 2014
- The best chess puzzles# 17 A really fun study by the amazing Gady Costeff - Video - November 21st, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #16 Reti's amazing pawn ending revisited - Video - November 15th, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #14 A cute and clever mate in 3 puzzle for any skill level - Video - November 14th, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #14 A cute and easy mate in 4 puzzle by Anderson - Video - November 13th, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #13 The - 2 rooks 2 kings riddle- - Video - November 11th, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #12 A lovely study by Pogosiatns - Video - November 8th, 2014
- How to Solve Chess Puzzles #20 - Video - November 7th, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #11 The fastest possible stalemate from the starting position + a surprise:) - Video - November 7th, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #10 A fantastic mate in 3 by Grimshaw - Video - November 5th, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #9 Another lovely study with an unusal draw - Video - November 2nd, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #8 A brilliant study by Hurtig - Video - November 1st, 2014
- How to Solve Chess Puzzles #19 - Video - October 31st, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #7 Construct a game where black delivers mate on move 5 by playing Rxh1 - Video - October 30th, 2014
- The best chess puzzles#6 - Video - October 28th, 2014
- The best chess puzzles #5 A mate in 5 puzzle composed by Firtz Giegold - Video - October 27th, 2014
- chess puzzles onlne 3 - Video - October 27th, 2014